Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-18-2019, 8:59 PM

Default How many of you SCUBA

Divers s check in. Where do ya dive? Do you Dive locally or stick to warmer destination diving?

Maybe it’s time for a meetup at La Jolla cove or somewhere farther north like Shaw’s Cove in the OC? The cove’s a preserve so no Glocks in the water.

BBQ and dive? It’s getting too hot in the desert so time to get in the water.
Old 06-18-2019, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

got my NAUI certification in 1987.
mostly dove locally (diver's cove, catalina, or wherever there were bugs at night).
would have enjoyed warmer water diving more, just for the visibility more than comfort. drift diving is cool, because your air lasts so much longer when you aren't doing any work.

these days i am getting muscle cramps so i haven't been diving.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 PM

I went free diving this past weekend at La Jolla Cove.

I've spearfished a few times off Pt Loma. If you want great diving you have to go to the islands off SoCal.

I've dove every island off SoCal and each one is different and way better than any beach dive I've done off the mainland of CA.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 PM

Got certified in 1996, Became a Divemaster for a local dive shop.

Took our students out to catalina every other week for their open
water training.

I also used to go on the shark research dives aboard the Pacific Explorer with Yehuda goldman out of San Pedro. Diving with and tagging sharks.

But I have not been in the water in years. Got bored with it, I am not having a good time diving unless I am working or trying to accomplish some kind of mission. I was saving up for Commercial diving school back in the day but then family life got in the way.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 06-18-2019 at 10:19 PM..
Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Got certified in 1996, Became a Divemaster for a local dive shop.

Took our students out to catalina every other week for their open
water training.

I also used to go on the shark research dives aboard the Pacific Explorer with Yehuda goldman out of San Pedro. Diving with and tagging sharks.

But I have not been in the water in years. Got bored with it, I am not having a good time diving unless I am working or trying to accomplish some kind of mission. I was saving up for Commercial diving school back in the day but then family life got in the way.
one of my buddies was a welder (mostly navy ships). he made bank once he had a few years on the job.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
one of my buddies was a welder (mostly navy ships). he made bank once he had a few years on the job.

Yep, I was working on the inland drilling rigs at the time, diving every weekend and saving up to go to the school in seattle. 10 grand I think it was. Would have been great for a young me but I would not have the nerve for it these days.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 AM

Taught scuba for about ten years. Mostly at Bamboo Reef in Rohnert Park and SF but also at Ocean Odyssey in Santa Cruz and a small stint with Splash Aquatics in Santa Clara. Kids came along and sadly I've been out of the water for about 15 years. Someday, Ill get the kids certified and get back in.

Loved Halloween dives on the Peace with Sal and Tom.
Old 06-19-2019, 1:40 AM

I've been underwater all over the Pacific, the Florida Keys, and once in the Red Sea, but I spent most of my time diving out of Monterey, either teaching or as boat crew. Did a lot of hunting on the California coast from free diving for abalone in Manchester to halibut hunting in Moss Landing and taking bugs from the northern Channel Islands. I worked numerous salvage jobs lifting boats off the bottom of the foothill lakes and consulted with various boat ops in Florida and California to help them refine their emergency plans.

My dream for a long time was to work as an instructor somewhere in Micronesia, but 9/11 changed that. Gave up diving professionally shortly after my son was born in 2004. These days, it's all for pleasure and usually twice a year. Most Caribbean destinations are only 2 - 4 hours from here and relatively cheap to get to, so that's where we tend to go. In August, my family is going to spend a week diving the middle Keys out of Marathon.
Old 06-19-2019, 4:58 AM

Started diving Guam when I got stationed there. Got hooked, a lot of easy diving there. Got stationed Oahu Good diving but not as good as Guam.

Have dove a lot of places. Liked the Puget sound area the most, a lot of critters there.

Became an instructor. Certified a few people. Crowning achievement was that I had 3 people follow me and became Instructors also.

Dream was to go to Costa Rica and set up a dive shop / hotel bar restaurant doing small groups.

Life happens.
Old 06-19-2019, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal3gunner View Post
I went free diving this past weekend at La Jolla Cove.

I've spearfished a few times off Pt Loma. If you want great diving you have to go to the islands off SoCal.

I've dove every island off SoCal and each one is different and way better than any beach dive I've done off the mainland of CA.

Ya, I need to get up north. I'm assuming you're talking about Channel islands/Catalina. Id also like to do the Coronados just south of the border but its a long day doing that dive out of San Diego. Lots of people do it and i hear there are lots of playful seals down there.
Old 06-19-2019, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Got bored with it, I am not having a good time diving unless I am working or trying to accomplish some kind of mission.

Ya I get that. I got to that point at the end of this past summer but I'm getting in the water again and enjoying it. I've been considering getting an under water metal detector to keep it interesting but I already spend enough on guns/optics/ammo.
Old 06-19-2019, 9:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Two NAUI certifications for me, both in the late 80s but haven't dove in years.

Mojave Lever Crew Member

"It is time for us to do what we have been doing and that time is every day. Every day it is time for us to agree that there are things and tools that are available to us to slow this thing down." - Kamala "Heels Up" Harris

Slava Ukraini (Слава Україні)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Certified during college
Ran a dive program in college
Worked in a dive shop in college

Fun times.
Messed up an eardrum and not much diving now....

California’s Kelp is a lot of work vs warm water diving but the Forrest’s are fun and hold a lot of game.

Turks and Caicos has some nature preserves that are better than diving in an aquarium.

Most poor countries overfish and the diving where it’s poor or their are a lot of tourists is generally bad

Breakwater in Monterey was one of my favorite dives up north.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal326 View Post
Ya, I need to get up north. I'm assuming you're talking about Channel islands/Catalina. Id also like to do the Coronados just south of the border but its a long day doing that dive out of San Diego. Lots of people do it and i hear there are lots of playful seals down there.
Yes, the Channel Islands. I spent my first year after college working on a dive boat diving all the Channel Islands and the other off SoCal. It's worth the money to do a live aboard multi day trip.

I've dove up and down the east coast of Australia from the Great Barrier Reef down to Sydney. Did the Great White Shark diving on the South Island New Zealand and the Poor Knights Islands off the North Island New Zealand. Did the SS President Coolidge in Vanuatu. Did the Bull shark diving in Fiji. The Blue Hole and a lot of coral diving in Belize. Dove off the keys in Florida. Free diving in Cuba and Dominican Republic. The manta ray dives in Hawaii.

With all that diving I still think spearfishing in the kelp on the Channel Islands is one of the top dives for adventure that doesn't break the bank.

Now I'm thinking about all this and getting the idea I need another dive trip
Old 06-19-2019, 1:20 PM

I started SCUBA diving at 16 (I guess that was mid '70s)
on deeper dives had a lot of trouble equalizing pressure and end up with nose bleed - this was in southern Australia - plenty of sharks to worry about ;-)
I still have my 11mm wet suit which I've not attempted to don in 20 years
Old 06-19-2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post
11mm. OMG 8 cant imagin how much weight you must have been carrying.
Old 06-19-2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
11mm. OMG 8 cant imagin how much weight you must have been carrying.
Water off southern Australia is pretty cold ;-)
But by the time you get all that kit on - you cannot wait to get into the water to cool off.

Getting the thing off afterwards is a bit of a chore too
Old 06-19-2019, 2:56 PM

Not knocking scuba, but have any of you scuba guys tried freediving?

You'll see a lot more.

I scuba and have commercially dove (very little time logged) as well. I always see more (and shoot more ) while freediving. Hence my user name, which is also my email, and etc. etc. Set it up when I was a youngin and email was getting popular.
Old 06-19-2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Taught scuba for about ten years. Mostly at Bamboo Reef in Rohnert Park and SF but also at Ocean Odyssey in Santa Cruz and a small stint with Splash Aquatics in Santa Clara. Kids came along and sadly I've been out of the water for about 15 years. Someday, Ill get the kids certified and get back in.

Loved Halloween dives on the Peace with Sal and Tom.

I used to dive the Peace as well. Out of Santa Barbara right,? If so ya, that was a nice comfortable boat to dive from. Though they almost left me behind once. I was really good on air and using a Steel 100 tank. I came up and they had the engine started up and idling and the swim step pulled up ready to go.
We were off one of the channel islands, can not remember which one. I guess I could have swam a quarter mile to the rocky island covered in sea lions until another boat came along.

UPDATE, Nope, I remember the Peace, Out of Ventura, Been on them too. I was thinking of the conception out of Santa Barbara, Truth aquatics had the three sister boats, Truth, Vision and conception. I thing the peace was the one with a little hot tub? I think I remember diving that boat in the winter and we were using a cup to pour warm hot tub water down our wet suits to warm up.

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 06-20-2019 at 9:44 AM..
Old 06-19-2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
Not knocking scuba, but have any of you scuba guys tried freediving?

You'll see a lot more.

I scuba and have commercially dove (very little time logged) as well. I always see more (and shoot more ) while freediving. Hence my user name, which is also my email, and etc. etc. Set it up when I was a youngin and email was getting popular.

I gave it a shot, loved being free of all the gear but I just did not do it enough or train enough to be able to really enjoy it. I could hold my breath just over 2 min, bairly if not moving. Free diving maybe just crack a minute, The deepest I could go was 60 foot and by time I got there I had to turn around to come back up. Then you always need someone to spot you in case you get the shallow water blackout. I was not a free diver, but enjoyed pretending I was.

I remember we had one guy that was really into it. we would finish a dive spot off one of the channel islands and this guy would have the boat drop him off there and leave him and come back and pick him up after finishing the next dive spot. We came back and we had to wait for this young blue whale that was playing swimming back and forth between us and him.

I have to admit I have rarely had a bad time on a boat dive trip.

Old 06-19-2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post
I started SCUBA diving at 16 (I guess that was mid '70s)
on deeper dives had a lot of trouble equalizing pressure and end up with nose bleed - this was in southern Australia - plenty of sharks to worry about ;-)
I hear ya, I had to sell my really nice dry suit because I could not fit in it any longer. Once I went dry suit I never put on another wet suit.

Old 06-19-2019, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

we dove with just mask and sling as kids, when we didn't dream of being able to get certified and have (or rent) equipment.

i had great lungs then. now, prolly not so much.
when i fart, dust comes out.
Old 06-19-2019, 8:38 PM

I've been wanting to dive again and thought of looking for partners too. Let me know. I'm in the LA area
Old 06-19-2019, 9:27 PM

I want to get up to Shaw's cove in Laguna Beach. How many dives do you have? We could do something mellow if it's been a while since you've been I the water.

I'd be willing to drive farther if there were other nice shore dives.

Last edited by SoCal326; 06-20-2019 at 1:14 AM..
Old 06-19-2019, 9:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

An acquaintance took a free diving class in Malaysia

She and her husband now tools several day class

Lots of technique to freediving.

I’ll stick to the tank..... or tanks.... swimming down to the Great Blue Hole in Belize and diving some wrecks, I just could not imagine freediving over and over in one day. Damn ears and ear issues.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-19-2019, 9:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
I want to get up to Shaw's cove in Laguna Beach. How many dives do you have? We could do something mellow if it's been a while since you've been I the water.

I'd be will to drive farther if there were other nice shore dives.
if you haven't dove shaw's, crescent bay, diver's cove or the areas around laguna, make sure you try to plan your dive around the weather. storms or heavy surge can really kill visibility in the kelp beds.

/may as well jump off table rock while you're local.
Old 06-20-2019, 6:05 AM

I got certified when I was 17 at The Diving Locker. I did more free diving than scuba diving. Did a lot of spearfishing off La Jolla Cove.

Last edited by MG34; 06-20-2019 at 7:36 AM..
Old 06-20-2019, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

Started off freediving/spearing in college when I was poor. Got scuba cert after starting my career. I scuba sometimes, but still mainly Freedive.

You guys talking about SD like it’s cold are cracking me up.
Old 06-20-2019, 8:09 AM

PADI OWSI #18403 Emeritus. First certified 1981 in Okinawa. Obtained Divemaster and Rescue Diver certs in 1983 Have dove all over Okinawa and neighboring islands, many sites in Hood Canal and Puget Sound including Tacoma Narrows. Have also made a few dives in LaJolla and Channel Islands. It's a great sport however like anything else, becoming too commercialized in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2019, 8:41 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

PADI Certified in 1983; been diving all over the place. Favorite so far is Belize.
Old 06-20-2019, 9:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

"Peace" runs out of Ventura, her sister ship "Truth" runs out of Santa Barbara.

Quote:
I used to dive the Peace as well. Out of Santa Barbara right? If so ya, that was a nice comfortable boat to dive from. Though they almost left me behind once. I was really good on air and using a Steel 100 tank. I came up and they had the engine started up and idling and the swim step pulled up ready to go.
We were off one of the channel islands, can not remember which one. I guess I could have swam a quarter mile to the rocky island covered in sea lions until another boat came along.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 06-20-2019, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
I used to dive the Peace as well. Out of Santa Barbara right? If so ya, that was a nice comfortable boat to dive from. Though they almost left me behind once. I was really good on air and using a Steel 100 tank. I came up and they had the engine started up and idling and the swim step pulled up ready to go.
they didn't make you dive with a buddy?

side note, i hate when i have to dive with somebody that runs out of air too fast.
Old 06-20-2019, 9:21 AM

Certified in the late 1960's, Johnston Air Buoy and fee diving before that.

Antartica 2018, just because I wanted to see the end of the world, water was 28f, visibility with the mixing of fresh and saltwater was crap. You dump off the rubber duck into saltwater but as you approach an iceberg the water gets brackish and you sink like a rock, hit the inflator hard to stay neutral, touching million year old ice underwater is a trip, when you back off the iceberg, dump the BC like crazy, belly flop back on the rubber duck after you, with frozen fingers, take off your H valve 95cuf tank with a spaghetti of two regulators and 30lb of lead, oh and when you hit the water, tank loses 500 PSI just like that, much prefer the Northern Channel Islands than anywhere else in the world.

Patches, I got no stinking patches.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 06-20-2019, 9:35 AM

Wow, Antarctica. That sounds crazy. So how did you end up there, was that a vacation destination....I guess it was...."just to see the end of the world". I love it.

I've never even thought about a trip there...and probably still wont, that waters a bit to cold for me.

Heck, I'm not even sure how you'd get there. I imagine a bunch of ice everywhere with no where to land but I'll be the first to admit i know nothing about Antarctica.
Old 06-20-2019, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
"Peace" runs out of Ventura, her sister ship "Truth" runs out of Santa Barbara.
Ya, my mistake, I believe it was the conception, or one of the other Truth aquatics boats, but I mostly dove the conception. I did dive the Peace a few times, I do remember that boat now, and its hot tub, we just used it to pour hot water down our wet-suits to warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
they didn't make you dive with a buddy?

side note, i hate when i have to dive with somebody that runs out of air too fast.
No, I was a dive master and dove solo a lot back then, was on the conception quite a bit, I still have a 5 dive card filled up that gets me a free dive trip, it is like 18 years old but has no expiration date, I might try to redeem it one of these days. Our dive shop did not use the conception for students, I just used it for my own personal trips, I liked how comfortable the boats were, and the lady cook was a cute little hippie chick. I would dive with a buddy if there was someone there that did not have a buddy and they were not comfortable going solo. The few trips I did on the peace were done with friends from the dive shop, the owner and other dive masters so we always dove together. But ya, it was not the peace that did not do a proper count and almost headed out without me.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Well my dive master friend as well as a LDS owner killed himself by thinking the rules did not apply to him, sets a real bad example for the recreational sport, when the teachers don't follow what is taught. I was lucky and was taught by Navy Master Chiefs, no f**** was allowed, of course we had no BC's, only J valves and the first single hose regulators available.

I went to Antarctica with a dive buddy that I have been diving with since high school, because our wives said ok. Interesting but the chill was a pain in the rear.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Certified late 1960's. Too old for any rough stuff now diving when seas and winds are under 10 mph. Florida and carib.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 06-20-2019, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I got my introduction to SCUBA in the Marine Corps, and got to attend the Navy Dive School in Coronado. The Navy Instructor was also qualified to give us PADI and NAUI certificates. I got to dive all over the Pacific, from Okinawa, Philippines, Hawaii, The Mariana Islands which include Guam, Tinian, Saipan, and the best dives were in Truk Island. I never enjoyed diving off California as much as the other places I have mentioned, because the visibility is not as good, except a couple of dives on Catalina Island, which were spectacular. The most thrilling diving that I got to do was entering and exiting submerged submarines.

Last edited by RandyD; 06-20-2019 at 2:48 PM..
Old 07-02-2019, 2:25 PM

My wife went to school for marine biology; had done 100's of dives before we met. After we met, I certified, and we did some Monterey diving, and then a number of trips on the Conception out to the Channels. Did some dive around Maui.

Didn't dive for a while between kid and elder care. Then in the last four years did Cozumel, then Barbados, and Cozumel again. Cozumel diving was awesome.
Old 08-17-2019, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I remember diving Komodo island. Spectacular scenery on a fantastic boat. However it was opening day of big season in Socal and I kept think wtf am I doing here? I could be at Cortes bank on the great escape eating turkey after bug hunting all day.

God bless you Tim Burke for you excellent trips locally. RIP.