Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
Not knocking scuba, but have any of you scuba guys tried freediving?

You'll see a lot more.

I scuba and have commercially dove (very little time logged) as well. I always see more (and shoot more ) while freediving. Hence my user name, which is also my email, and etc. etc. Set it up when I was a youngin and email was getting popular.
I've dived open and closed circuit scuba, but I still prefer freediving. My uncle in Hawaii is a real water man. I've seen him routinely do free dives with 5+ minute breath holds. In the past, him and his friends did open ocean swims from Moloka'i to Maui.
Old 08-19-2019, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

I got certified back in 1976: I was 12 years old. It was through the Alameda County Sheriffs Department. The instructor's daughter's boyfriend or husband was the World Skin Diving Champion. I remember seeing his fins. They were about 5 feet long and very skinny. They were made in Italy.

Back then I had to learn everything; NOX, rebreathers, etc. I had to memorize the decompression charts. There were no multiple-choice questions. Every test answer had to be written in.

I got re-certified about 15 years ago (NAUI).

The Pacific Ocean around California is cold.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.