Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Old 02-25-2009, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Underground Regulation: Capacity to Accept a Detachable Magazine

Out by courier today is this official petition to the Office of Administrative Law regarding the Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms underground regulation of the term "capacity to accept a detachable magazine."

The petition is quite thorough in debunking Mrs. Merrilees attempt to reinterpret the phrase "capacity to accept."

On our last petition, OAL took about 60 days to accept or reject the petition.

For those of you following the NRF activities, this was the little extra that we received. In what appeared to be an attempt to overload us in paper when responding to our PRA requests, we received the letter from Dolorian Capital and Mrs. Merrilees' response. Now that that is out of the way you should expect more news on the NRF front as well.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-25-2009, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

pwned!

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 02-25-2009, 2:20 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-25-2009, 2:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Great job Gene. Go get em.
Old 02-25-2009, 2:42 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Wow, opening the PDF in a browser tab has a little miniGene peering down at you as the site icon, I think if I would be disconcerted if I were a 2A foe & the miniGene was watching over me.
Calguns Addict

this is awesome
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry, in layman's terms, please?
Old 02-25-2009, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
Sorry, in layman's terms, please?
I'm just reading this for the first time but what I see is that the DOJ amply fulfilled the PRA and provided written documentation that supports the CGF claim that DOJ was trying to use "underground regulation" to create policy that was not intended by the legislature.

so
1 - CGF has proof
and
2 - CGF has submitted a petition.

Can someone spell out what petitioning does and what the possible outcomes are?
I'm gathering that if the petition is viewed as correct the DOJ will have to acknowledge that P50/Bullet Button do not violate the law and will have to verify that the current CGF analysis of "detachable"
is correct.

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 02-25-2009 at 2:51 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 2:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ah, pwned indeed.
Old 02-25-2009, 3:02 PM

Fantastic shot across the bow, Gene. Hopefully this will make AM and her friends take a step back for a bit.
Old 02-25-2009, 3:03 PM
DDT

Pretty awesome. Pretty soon they're going to have to come clean specifically on the BB/P-50 issue.

Am I reading this correctly that the "bullet as a tool" ruling came down because BoF wanted to declare certain SKS models to be "fixed magazine?"
Old 02-25-2009, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's a violation of the Adminstrative Procedures Act under California law for an administrative agency like DOJ BoF to try to reinterpret the law without going through a formal rulemaking process.

Alison is out there trying to cause confusion around the term "capacity to accept a detachable magazine." Her argument is specious .

OAL will review such things, and if the petition has merit, rule on them in a way that gets considerable deference from California Courts.

The funny part about all this is we gave Alison two weeks to write a clarifying letter or ask for more time and she ignored us. Here is that letter: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/oal...2009-02-06.pdf

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-25-2009, 3:05 PM
DDT

Now I understand why you were so up to the minute on the recent threads beating up BB'ed ARs as being in some state of limbo with an empty mag well.
Old 02-25-2009, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Good job, guys! I was surprised both that BOF is still spouting their "capacity to accept" manure, and that they were dumb enough to hand you the evidence of their continuing illegal activity with a nice bow on top.

P.S.: I don't see miniGene with my browser (Safari on a Mac). On my system, the favicon just looks like a little planet earth.
Old 02-25-2009, 3:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
Am I reading this correctly that the "bullet as a tool" ruling came down because BoF wanted to declare certain SKS models to be "fixed magazine?"
Yep. The ultimate defender of the bullet button is the fact that the banned "SKS with detachable magazine" comes in legal conflict with "semiautomatic centerfire rifle with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and..." The legislature banned one type of SKS, and not the other. Thus the unique and precise definition of "detachable magazine." You can read all about it in the Final Statement of Reasons for the 2000 Rulemaking.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 02-25-2009, 3:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Are there any penalties for them over-reaching? At least a slap on the wrist?

Last edited by BamBam-31; 02-25-2009 at 3:25 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 3:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So there is a typo in footnote 9... There always has to be at least one no many how many times or pairs of eyes looks over it...

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 02-25-2009, 3:22 PM

Wow. I wasn't aware that the SKS was the rifle that paved the way for AR's to repopulate California (sealed magwells aside). That has a personal historical significance that makes it much harder to resist owning one... Thanks again Gene for keeping on top of all of this.
Old 02-25-2009, 3:38 PM

So what does this have to do with NRFs?
Old 02-25-2009, 3:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Interesting

Contact us at:
Sales@prkarms.org
(559)283-8666
or find us on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/prkarms

The original PRK-Lock exclusive mag locks. Will not fail as other designs are subject to http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=257154
Old 02-25-2009, 3:45 PM

Everyone hug your SKS
Old 02-25-2009, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenius View Post
So what does this have to do with NRFs?
The letter that shows BoF promulgating an underground regulation showed up on document requests we made regarding NRFs.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 02-25-2009, 3:54 PM
DDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
The letter that shows BoF promulgating an underground regulation showed up on document requests we made regarding NRFs.

-Gene
If I read Gene's op correctly the letter has little/nothing to do with their NeRF request but was part of a "document flood." Adversarial folks will dump much more documentation than asked for and mostly off-topic to make it harder for their adversaries to mine the data for what they seek. Just so happens they were looking for gold and found a diamond.

Why would they be adversarial any way aren't they supposed to be protecting law abiding citizens? [/sarcasm]
Old 02-25-2009, 4:56 PM

So Gene, did you look like this, , once you figured out what you had received via the PRAR?

And can you comment any more on the original PRAR that dealt you this gem?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-25-2009, 5:01 PM

Quote:

-Gene
Ah!

So anyway, why is everyone acting like this is good news? I mean, yeah, it's good that we know about this, but it's not good that they are trying to make things worse for us... is it?

Also, I thought the previous underground regulation (that was fought down?) was about detachable magazines? Can someone clarify?
Old 02-25-2009, 5:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
The funny part about all this is we gave Alison two weeks to write a clarifying letter or ask for more time and she ignored us.[/url]

-Gene
Old 02-25-2009, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

-Gene
Oh that's just too perfect. The "mining for gold and found a diamond" metaphor is right on target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
I need your help. Rush over here with shovels, half-naked girls and lots of beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_Fox View Post
im 26 and I feel like a creep trying to mack the 18 year old, i still do it, but I feel creepy.
Old 02-25-2009, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Noticed that the letter is dated February 26, 2007..
Old 02-25-2009, 6:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

F'in A. Nice work!

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-25-2009, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ah!

So anyway, why is everyone acting like this is good news? I mean, yeah, it's good that we know about this, but it's not good that they are trying to make things worse for us... is it?

Also, I thought the previous underground regulation (that was fought down?) was about detachable magazines? Can someone clarify?
They've been trying to make it worse for us this whole time. The response that Gene wrote to the OAL is a Good Thing.
These posts are Fiction. They do not contain legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer. Any resemblance to real persons are pure coincidence. These posts may pose an inhalation hazard, reading can be harmful or fatal. No statements made on this forum are meant to represent any corporate or business entity, others, or myself. Especially not myself.

Stop duping answers, help expand the FAQ.

Why yes, that is me in my avatar and yes, I AM wearing a life jacket.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 02-25-2009, 7:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
This letter sent to a DA causes the DA to roll his eyes. Trust me, I know. It's just seen as inept. However, manufacturers don't know the law quite so well so I want this to end.

Quote:
The previous underground rulemaking was that fixed magazines have to be permanent. You'll note that she goes out of her way to say that temporary magazine fixing is good enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Noticed that the letter is dated February 26, 2007..
I count 4 typos <sigh>. I wanted to get this out today because we have some more surprises shortly.

I'm glad someone noticed I gave her two weeks!

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 02-25-2009, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

As a thought... We should (and I presume that we are) keeping track of the number of "underground regulations" and the difficulties the State's firearms-regulatory agency is having with determining what is/is-not an assault weapon.

When the time is ripe for a 2A challenge, this can be used as evidence of an unconstitutionally vague statute. The underground regulations can be used to show even the "authority" can't understand the law without help and/or refute claims that the law is clear and comprehensible.
Old 02-25-2009, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Is there an endgame to this beyond the OAL telling the DOJ to knock it off? Not that I don't want to see them knock it off, it just seems like we've won the OLL fight so it won't really change anything.
Old 02-25-2009, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCA View Post
The underground regulations can be used to show even the "authority" can't understand the law without help and/or refute claims that the law is clear and comprehensible.
I'm not convinced that the "authority" has any trouble understanding the law. I think they're deliberately and maliciously trying to twist its interpretation to what they wish it said, instead of what it actually says. But then, I'm a cynic.
Old 02-25-2009, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Outstanding! Can't wait til DOJ gets this shoved down their throats.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 02-25-2009, 8:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_in_exile View Post
Can you dumb it down a little further for those of us who majored in business? MBA = "Minimal Brain Activity." Use drawings if possible, and fewer words. Thanks.
Need a PowerPoint?

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 02-25-2009, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's a violation of the Adminstrative Procedures Act under California law for an administrative agency like DOJ BoF to try to reinterpret the law without going through a formal rulemaking process.

Alison is out there trying to cause confusion around the term "capacity to accept a detachable magazine." Her argument is specious .

OAL will review such things, and if the petition has merit, rule on them in a way that gets considerable deference from California Courts.

The funny part about all this is we gave Alison two weeks to write a clarifying letter or ask for more time and she ignored us. Here is that letter: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/oal...2009-02-06.pdf

-Gene
On the last page of that attachment, Iggy admitted to manufacturing an "Assault weapon".

Is he covered by a law enforcement exemption? Would he need a letter from the chief or who ever gives permission for officers to buy an AW? Could we get one of the 58 DA's to prosecute him?
Old 02-25-2009, 8:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
On the last page of that attachment, Iggy admitted to manufacturing an "Assault weapon".

Is he covered by a law enforcement exemption? Would he need a letter from the chief or who ever gives permission for officers to buy an AW? Could we get one of the 58 DA's to prosecute him?
Old 02-25-2009, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rockso View Post
Is there an endgame to this beyond the OAL telling the DOJ to knock it off? Not that I don't want to see them knock it off, it just seems like we've won the OLL fight so it won't really change anything.
This particular underground regulation has been an obstacle that the DOJ has thrown into the path of manufacturers who want official confirmation that ARs/AKs/etc with BBs/P50s are legal here in CA.

Hopefully this will force the DOJ to simply respond with a sheepish "yes" when asked if XYZ rifle is legal with a BB/P50 magazine lock.

It could finally blow the dust off some of the remaining FFLs that won't deal with OLLs (I'm sure that there will be holdouts that simply wont do it no matter what), and give manufacturers the legal tools to finally be willing to ship their rifles to CA.
Old 02-25-2009, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Camp Parks Ca, Ft McCoy Ft Bragg, Ft Knox, Harvey Point

Great Job Gene!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene