Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-13-2013, 1:05 PM

Default My first interview not really sure about it

Well I just did my initial interveiw today at 8:15 am first one in. I really don't know to think now, as my juvenile rap sheet came up (pretty colorful by the way) had gang affiliation and guns and drugs yeah I know pretty stupid huh, but yeah that was all over 13 years ago. I'm 30 years old now and never been in trouble since then. I have a very clean adult record besides a few traffic tickets that are all paid for but only thing making me feel I may not get my ccw is the first deputy said to me it's not up to him but his opinion I don't seem to be too stable yet since I'm only 30 years old. But he said it's not up to him. The second deputy that I seen after him said I should of sealed my records by law if I did I would not have to admit to any of my juvenile hickups. He also said he seen worst records and still got there ccw permit but some things might not look too good on my record. All of the mistakes I made happened in my hometown Stockton ca. I lived in sac county since 2005 so my whole stay here has been great and I changed my life around told the truth and didn't leave nothing out even though I knew that my juvenile record might criminalize me. Hopfully it doesn't. Any feedback would be apreciated. Not really knowing what I think now
Old 03-13-2013, 1:08 PM

I think you should get a lawyer and have your records expunged or sealed, preferably the former.
Old 03-13-2013, 1:35 PM

Gangs, Guns, Blood in blood out. Ya I dont think so.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:14 PM

I really don't see a sheriff risking his career giving you a ccw.

Just imagine the headlines if you got a ccw and actually fired a shot.

Congrats on turning your life around and doing right!!
Old 03-13-2013, 3:24 PM

Yeah kinda figured that, well it was 20$ and about a 45 mins lost guess that's what happens when people make stupid choices growing up thanks you guys at least I can still own a gun that's all that really matters now
Old 03-13-2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikearfifteen83 View Post
Yeah kinda figured that, well it was 20$ and about a 45 mins lost guess that's what happens when people make stupid choices growing up thanks you guys at least I can still own a gun that's all that really matters now
I had a pretty checkered past also. Gangs and all. I was a kid. Young stupid. Made bad choices, spent time in juvenile hall plenty of times. That was 20 years ago. I was approved for my CCW by Sac County. As long as you show you have turned your life around that's all that matters. And for the people who are making it seem like just because you made dumb choices as a teenager that you are not worthy of a CCW I'm sure those very people have never done anything wrong as a kid.
Old 03-13-2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
Gangs, Guns, Blood in blood out. Ya I dont think so.
Wrong. People change.

Last edited by Teohenwhy; 03-13-2013 at 6:24 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 6:42 PM

Never know, think positive. Could happen
Old 03-13-2013, 7:26 PM

Well I'm glad to hear that people hear understand that yeah we make mistakes as kids but that should not take away our rights.
Old 03-13-2013, 7:48 PM

I think the Sheriffs just like to scare us in to thinking we aren't going to get it. I had an incident that I had honestly forgotten all about from about 10 years ago and it was on my records. When the Sheriff brought it up and said, "Why didn't you list this?" I told her I had honestly forgotten about it and it was in my younger years. She drilled me asking how it was possible to forget something from just over 10 years ago. I was freaking out, and told her I was sorry and that I honestly forgot, all while trying to recall the details of that past incident. I wasn't trying to hide anything. But the look the Sheriff gave me made me think I would never get the CCW license. But thankfully, 32 days later, I got notice in the mail that I was approved.

We all have made mistakes, and thankfully, it appears the people on the comity of the Sheriff's department understand that.

Good luck on getting your license.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:06 PM

I would say you still have a decent to good chance of getting it. I have talked to numerous people with pasts they would like to forget and they got approved. Being honest and upfront with them is the best you can do. If you get denied, don't give up. Get a lawyer and see what they can do for you and then appeal the denial. Good for you turning your life around and good luck with the process.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 PM

If you told them the truth about everything and youve been clean for 15 years like you said I think your good to go. I have 2 misdemeanors and a few traffic tickets. My last misdemeanor ( minor in possession of alcohol ) was just over 5 years ago. I also disclosed I tried marijuana in 2006 and I was approved. I think as long as your honest and your of " good moral character" you should be good.

Iv heard a few people on here say the majority of the decision is the "character test" And it starts the moment you walk into the sheriffs office and say "im here for a ccw appointment". Its all about how you treat and interact with the LEO's and other people

Good luck and good for you for turning your life around. Not an easy thing to do
Old 03-14-2013, 6:36 PM

Thank you guys for the positive feedbacks I'm still not so sure as the deputy's didn't look so sure the first guy interviewed me told me straight up that it's not up to him but if it was that I did not have stability in my life and he would say no but its not up to him he said so guess for now I'll just have to wait. Does it really take 8 weeks to get all the forms from Stockton pd? That is where all of my juvenile records are or is it some other information they need from stockton pd? Not sure.