Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2019, 12:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Ruger No 1 gunsmith

I just bought a Ruger No. 1-B in .270 Win. I not mechanically inclined, and I know working on a No. 1 is not something for just a general gunsmith.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith in Southern California who is really good with Ruger No. 1s? I'm looking for someone who is good with accurizing a Ruger No. 1. I'm thinking of a Jard trigger, a Hicks Accurizer, and any bedding/free floating stock work necessary to bring a No. 1 up to MOA accuracy.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2019, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Did you shoot it yet? My stock 1V .223 will place 5 shots you can cover with a quarter. Get the Clayton book on the No1 for some easy tricks. They respond well to load development. Does yours have the 2 or 3 screw trigger? Polish the trigger surfaces without changing angles. Aftermarket triggers are no longer made and are expensive when they rarely come up for sale.
20151004_071801.jpg
Old 12-20-2019, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Many thanks for your thoughts and information. I really appreciate it.

You're right, I haven't shot it yet. I have, though, measured the trigger pull. It varies from just over 4 pounds to just under 6 pounds, so quite inconsistent. The JARD trigger for the Ruger No. 1 is still made. (See https://www.jardinc.com/ruger-no1) And one website that carries and installs it says it beats the Moyers and Kepplinger triggers, which are no longer made. https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Number-O...k_p_15061.html

But you're right, I need to shoot it first. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2019, 4:41 PM

The only gunsmith that I know of in San Diego is in East County. Clothey and Sons at the border of Santee/Lakeside, near the Santee Drive-In. They are on Mission Gorge Road where it changes to Woodside, past Filippi's on the south side of the road.
Whether or not they are Ruger experts, I have no clue. They have done a couple of minor revolver fixes for me and were golden.
Old 12-20-2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
The only gunsmith that I know of in San Diego is in East County. Clothey and Sons at the border of Santee/Lakeside, near the Santee Drive-In. They are on Mission Gorge Road where it changes to Woodside, past Filippi's on the south side of the road.
Whether or not they are Ruger experts, I have no clue. They have done a couple of minor revolver fixes for me and were golden.
I used them to do some work on my Garand, they’re solid. Gunfighter tactical also has a gunsmith but I’ve never used them except for sights installation
Old 12-20-2019, 10:04 PM

Clothey and sons have worked on my Ruger number 1. They do good work.