Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-02-2011, 3:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
I just did my interview two weeks ago and it was intense interview.
Good luck
How long was the interview itself? I know it says 3-4 hours for the process in the letter but how much of that is actually sitting in front of the board?
Old 02-02-2011, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I was the very first one for the interview so I was more nervous about it and interview itself was little over 20 minutes I believe. After the interview I was told to step outside until they call me back. I had to wait about 5 minutes, but that 5 minutes felt like 5 hour.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

The board interview could take all day or all of 30 minutes from the time you arrive. it just depends on how many candidates are there that day, how many interviewers, when you're called in, and how long the interviews take. I was out before noon IIRC.

On another note, it looks like things are moving again, thankfully. I got my call for drug testing yesterday. Been about 3 months since I passed my oral boards, first fitness and medical. From what I hear, this is a good sign my background is about to begin once I pass this. Anyone else getting action on their application lately?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

how many candidates were there when y'all interviewed?
Were they called in alphabetical order?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
The board interview could take all day or all of 30 minutes from the time you arrive. it just depends on how many candidates are there that day, how many interviewers, when you're called in, and how long the interviews take. I was out before noon IIRC.

On another note, it looks like things are moving again, thankfully. I got my call for drug testing yesterday. Been about 3 months since I passed my oral boards, first fitness and medical. From what I hear, this is a good sign my background is about to begin once I pass this. Anyone else getting action on their application lately?
I'm reaching the 3 month mark since my interview. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get called for my drug testing soon.

Last edited by Recession; 02-03-2011 at 8:17 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. View Post
how many candidates were there when y'all interviewed?
Were they called in alphabetical order?
I think there were around 50 or so when I went in (Chula Vista).

They called the women first. You tell me why. It seemed random after that.
Old 02-03-2011, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

The person who was in charge of the interview process was former Marine and he called me first lol. There were about 50 candidates and 5 candidates were given interview per turn around. I think I left Chula Vista before 930AM for sure. I hope I get a call soon for fitness and medical exam soon.
Old 02-03-2011, 8:12 AM
Banned

Just finished mine. Only 6 people showed up. They called me in first and told me I passed easily. Yay me. Background packet has already been submitted so guess I'm just waiting again!
Glad its done though. Not the worst oral board ive been to.
Old 02-03-2011, 8:36 AM
Calguns Addict

wow, only 6 people showed up??? maybe other applicants just got sick of waiting and found a job from somewhere else. I think I was the only Asian when I went there.
Old 02-03-2011, 9:08 AM

good luck!
Old 02-03-2011, 5:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
wow, only 6 people showed up??? maybe other applicants just got sick of waiting and found a job from somewhere else. I think I was the only Asian when I went there.
I don't know, I kinda got a glimpse of their roster ad there looked to be no more than 20 names. I was very surprised!
Now back to waiting for word!
Old 02-03-2011, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

yup back to waiting game..... I thought I was done with "hurry up and wait" when I got out from the service, but it never ends
Old 02-03-2011, 6:47 PM
Banned

Worth it though in the end!
EDIT: There was something else that kinda shocked me today. I saw something that I haven't seen around the Fresno area in a Loooooooooooooooong time-HELP WANTED sings. I couldn't believe it. My wife and I were going to subway in Pleasonton after my interview and we saw one. We both just kinda stopped and stared at it. It was like seeing a real life do-do bird in the wild duking it out with a Tasmanian Tiger.

Last edited by C.W.M.V.; 02-03-2011 at 6:55 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Good thing my college and gym life is keeping me busy right now while waiting for the process to go smoothly again.
Old 02-15-2011, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the president is trying to increase the budget for Border Patrol for his new budget plan for this year. I can only hope so because I wanna get hire!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/02/...dget.homeland/
Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I think the president is trying to increase the budget for Border Patrol for his new budget plan for this year. I can only hope so because I wanna get hire!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/02/...dget.homeland/
Sigh... more promises. Whatever happened to the money Bush promised BP to hire 10,000 more agents?
Old 02-18-2011, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recession View Post
Sigh... more promises. Whatever happened to the money Bush promised BP to hire 10,000 more agents?
That did happen, There are over 20,000 Agents in The Patrol now.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2patchHero View Post
That did happen, There are over 20,000 Agents in The Patrol now.
Ah ok, I stand corrected. I overheard a supervisory agent say something about how the bill got approved and the money promised but they never received it and that was the reason for the hiring freeze that is currently going on right now.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

There's been some interesting developments in the past two days for those of us in the hiring process:

1. The email from DHS that says the abolition of FCIP won't affect our hiring status. Huge relief there.

2. There's a new budget proposal put forward by the Obama administration to change the overtime pay plan for agents. It would reduce OT pay by about $110 million. Not good. http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9LEJ5600.htm
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ah ok, I stand corrected. I overheard a supervisory agent say something about how the bill got approved and the money promised but they never received it and that was the reason for the hiring freeze that is currently going on right now.
There is no hiring freeze. There are tens of thousands of candidates in the pre-hiring process right now. Academy classes are still going on and new agents are still being cranked out.

What they've done is removed the hiring announcements from USAJobs and stopped accepting new applicants for now. Word on the street is that a new hiring announcement will be made sometime in March or later.
Old 02-18-2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
There is no hiring freeze. There are tens of thousands of candidates in the pre-hiring process right now. Academy classes are still going on and new agents are still being cranked out.

What they've done is removed the hiring announcements from USAJobs and stopped accepting new applicants for now. Word on the street is that a new hiring announcement will be made sometime in March or later.
Than what's the explanation behind people not getting called in for their drug/medical after almost 4 months after their Oral Board? On honorfirst.com they are saying that since BP uses third party clinics, they are lacking the money to pay them to do the testing for the time being.
Old 02-18-2011, 3:02 PM
Banned

That's what happens when the system is overwhelmed and underfunded.
Old 02-18-2011, 3:04 PM
CGN Contributor

It's not that there's a hiring freeze per se...

Currently, the Minneapolis Hiring Center is operating under a continuing budget resolution. Because of that, they don't have the budget to contract out medical/fitness exams. The oral boards are run in-house and staffed by BP Agents, so that is continuing... as is the background investigation. BP is still actively hiring though, and those in TSU have been receiving their calls to EOD almost daily.

As it stands, applicants who have tested are receiving their TOs... getting scheduled for their OBs... and getting called to take the whizz quiz, poly, and meet with their BI. The applicants who are frozen for the moment are those who passed their OB, but are waiting on the Med/PFT1... and those who have had their BI sent to IA for review.
Old 02-19-2011, 2:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Than what's the explanation behind people not getting called in for their drug/medical after almost 4 months after their Oral Board? On honorfirst.com they are saying that since BP uses third party clinics, they are lacking the money to pay them to do the testing for the time being.
I was called in for my drug test two weeks ago.

I passed my oral board about 4 months ago.

Things are moving, if slowly.
Old 02-20-2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
The explanation is that there are already thousands that have completed many if not all steps of the hiring process and are waiting for academy dates. There are more people already through the hiring process waiting to for "the call" then there are openings. Due to this, DHS has slowed down on putting those only partially through the hiring process any further along since there really is no need. When I got hired, it was two years from the time I applied until the day I got off the bus at the academy. Now, that time line is getting longer and longer as there are less open slots to fill and more people that are already through the hiring process and just waiting for "the call"
Old 02-21-2011, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

As for me two years does not sound too bad since I am only a junior in college right now. I just hope I get hire at the end. All we can do it "hurry up and wait."
Old 02-21-2011, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
As for me two years does not sound too bad since I am only a junior in college right now. I just hope I get hire at the end. All we can do it "hurry up and wait."
According to Honorfirst message board, Hiring Center is waiting for the budget to pass so they can continue with the hiring process. They think around mid March, the congress will vote for the budget.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
According to Honorfirst message board, Hiring Center is waiting for the budget to pass so they can continue with the hiring process. They think around mid March, the congress will vote for the budget.
Well... March 4th is when the current continuing resolution apparently expires, so they have to vote by then. Currently, there's talk of a possible government shutdown similar to what happened in '95.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

So I am guessing next month we will find out if Border Patrol will still hire or not?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Got called today to schedule for my Drug/Fitness/Med. Looks like Uncle Sam was able to spare some pocket change!
Old 03-01-2011, 2:23 PM

Thought I would join in on the conversation and let you guy know that I feel your pain in waiting. I took my written on January 14th and passed with a 96%. I havent heard anything since then, so Im just grinding my teeth waiting.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM

I just passed my Oral Board today and before we went in they confirmed what has been said earlier that the process is halted (for our group any way) until the budget is passed.
Old 03-03-2011, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Who knows what is going to happen because congress just decided to reduce additional $6.5 billion dollars. Hope we all get hire down the road.
Old 03-03-2011, 7:31 PM
CGN Contributor

Man, I've been wondering the same thing for weeks now... it seems like every article I read has different info: the Dems accuse the GOP of cutting border security and firing 800 agents... the GOP accuses the Dems of making up stats... and somewhere in the middle of all that is the truth.
Old 03-03-2011, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I think both party wants to keep the agents, but reduce the expensive fence project. The department says, they rather have more agents down the field than those expensive fence.
But at the end, who knows what is going to happen. Hope we will hear some positive news next month or so. Hang in there guys
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Bforme View Post
I just passed my Oral Board today and before we went in they confirmed what has been said earlier that the process is halted (for our group any way) until the budget is passed.
Don't believe it. Nobody outside of the hiring center knows their *** from a hole in the ground regarding what is going to happen today, tomorrow or next month for hiring. Least of all whoever did your OB. Rumors in the BP are like STDs in a dockside whorehouse: they spread fast and everybody's got several.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
When was you NOR? or at least your written?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Just came back from my Medical/Fitness Test. Doctor said everything looked good. The fitness portion is a breeze if you aren't a fat slob. I just have to go back in 72 hours to check on my TB test and then everything should be good.

The nurse conducting the test was cute. When she had me take off my shirt for the EKG, she giggled. I hope that was a good type of giggle.
Old 03-07-2011, 6:55 PM

I did my written test in November.
Old 03-07-2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
I did my written test in November.
Thanks, are you in southern california? I took mine in southern california in early January and am hoping to kind of base my time frame off of yours.