Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Banned

Default Axe suggestions?

Iíve always liked knives and swords but I donít know much about axes.

My parameters are utility, camping and light to medium use. Not too thrilled about most of the selection I see shopping around.

Cold Steel has a Trail Boss that looks cool but the sheath looks bogus. Guess you can always have a custom Kydex made?

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-19-2019, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Cold Steel has a couple decent budget options. If you really want something you can count on for a while check out Council Tool. They have some really great modern axes in different price ranges. Id suggest Whiskey River Trading as a distributor.
Old 09-19-2019, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

https://whiskeyrivertrading.com/coll...axes-and-tools

If you value fine artful craftsmanship a vintage axe might suit you too. Plumb, Collins, and Kelly Perfect are all great. Not for everyone but its anotger option. A quality axe you have restored with your own hands is a very enjoyable tool to sink into some wood.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm no axe expert but I think best bang for your buck, where you still might get a quality , long lasting , durable may be the Fiskars / Gerber products.

No, they're not finely handmade by craftsmanship in some Scandinavian country.
And if you don't like Glocks you probably won't like the plastic / polymer handle compared to the axe wood handles of old but I think there was just a Deal thread that someone posted recently where you could get a full-sized axe from one of those companies ( which are really the same company) for around twenty-five bucks (or less?). And I think they all come with a included blade sheath.

And because the axe head is molded right into the polymer handle my assumption is it's less likely to break or ever fly off.

And that polymer plastic handle would probably Bend before it broke, like access with wood handles might do if they're very old or abused.

But hey, what do I know.

When I have to cut wood I use a chainsaw.
Which can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing but it makes the job a lot easier.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Here's that deal thread I mentioned above Unfortunately they went from the on sale price of $26 up to $39 which I think is a still a good deal unless you do a lot of wood chopping a want to show off a quality made axe.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...e#post23419996
Old 09-19-2019, 6:06 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

You should figure out what type/size of axe you want.

Big old forest axe for chopping trees and limbs, or heavy splitting axe for a lot of wood processing? Or a lighter camp axe that can accomplish lighter felling and splitting, or maybe just a nice 16" camp hatchet to easily split up firewood, chip tinder and kindling, and chop off fish heads.

Stay away from cheap axes at home depot unless you know what youre buying. On the low budget but high quality side, look into Marbles axes hand forged in El Salvador. The Fiskars axe is a modern twist, but it actually performs really well as a light camp axe. And Gransfors-Bruk is highly regarded as some of the best made axes in the game
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-19-2019, 7:53 PM

Husqvarna axes are a hidden gem. Forged head and good handles and priced right. I keep their hatchet in my truck.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 8:06 PM

Gerber/Fiskars for a decent axe that is budget friendly.
Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe if you don't mind spending a bit more.

Kind of like Bruce Jenner, but the rifle still has a bolt.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:14 AM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback I will try some of them!
Old 09-21-2019, 2:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Gransfors/Bruks