Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 08-11-2019, 4:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default What is the "Glock19" of auto knives?

Question intentionally left open to interpretation to get differing viewpoints.

Is there a standout in the under $50 price range? Under $100? Under $200?

Asking for a friend...

Thanks for any and all replies!

-- Michael
Old 08-11-2019, 4:59 AM
Veteran Member

Tell your friend to buy a Microtech and be happy for life.

My UTX85 sees daily use for the last 10+ years and it's steel is amazing. I think I paid 150-180.
Old 08-11-2019, 7:38 AM

The thing about automatic knifes for us non-free State Folks is serviceability, because if you use it, really use an auto, it will malfunction or break and you’ll need to service it. (On EDIT: this might be a good reason to buy cheap automatic knives, if you’re only paying $50 or less do you care about serviceability? Maybe, but you don’t have to...)

Many years ago, about 17 years ago exactly, I bought a Microtech Lightfoot double-action switchblade from a Microtech dealer in California, double-action means it will open like a regular flipper but also has a hidden release that fires the blade open when activated, the Lightfoot’s release is hidden in the bolster, move the lower bolster to the left and the blade automatically fires open. The dealer wasn’t supposed to sell it to me but he did (as most of them will do in California...), well I was using my MT Lightfoot a lot and it broke, the bolster mechanism wouldn’t work and release the blade, so I returned it to dealer and he sent it to Microtech for service.

Microtech received the knife but before they would service it they wanted a letter from the LEA, Fire Dept. or EMT agency employer of the owner stating the owner is authorized by the agency to have the automatic knife...Of course, I didn’t have this letter and I lost my knife, Microtech would not service nor return the knife to the dealer...I was SOL...

Did this stop me from buying automatic knives? Hell no! I’ve got a couple dozen of them, but now I buy them in Oregon where civilians can legally buy and carry them and if I need one serviced I use a dealer in Oregon. I have to do this in-person in Oregon, not by mail, but I get my knife back this way...

Squid, there are some really great automatic knife manufactures out there but I’d stick to the larger ones that have a good dealer presence, Benchmade, Kershaw and Buck are three.

As for the G19 of automatic knives, I’ll suggest these:

Benchmade - Mini Auto Presidio II (Axis lock auto)

Kershaw - Launch 2

Buck - Impact

I own all three and bought them all at Edge-N-Knife in Eugene, Oregon, all have been trouble free but if I had a problem I can return them to Edge-N-Knife, have them factory serviced and get them back. If I was to pick one it would be the Mini Auto Presidio II because I love its Axis lock and how its safety works, but the Buck Impact is probably the best value of the three, it also comes in several colors, I have a FDE one.

Last edited by MeatyMac; 08-11-2019 at 3:54 PM..
Old 08-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Gerber 06 has a good rep
Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Au...e-Knives--2631

Check out the pic with links at the bottom. The knife you want depends on your use.

Last edited by NATEWA; 08-11-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Old 08-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Under $50

https://www.grindworx.com/cat--Lightning-OTF--170
Old 08-11-2019, 4:11 PM

I have about 100 auto knives. Ranging from $3 ebay specials to $$$ Microtechs. I think right now for a daily user auto I'd go with a Kershaw. I bought the Benchmade gentleman auto for carry but it is just too nice to abuse.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Calguns Addict

The only thing that interests me are OTF DA's simply because I won't be carrying it and it would be a fidget spinner... I'd probably spend $30 on a Lightning before I spend $425 on an Ultratech... but if I was carrying it I would want an Ultratech. Like a Hell Hound. Side openers are inferior to a good frame lock flipper, IMHO. You can actually carry all the flippers.