Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-14-2017, 8:08 PM

Default Advise from Attorney on 90 day CCW

I want to know if this is a waste of time and money. I was denied by my county Sheriff. Then I applied with the Sheriff in the county I work in. I was approved over the phone and after a long conversation He told me it was only good for 90 days and could only carry in that county. After the 90 days I would have to go through the process again and also get approval from my Sheriff. Is this a waste of time and money or could this be a strategy to help get a ccw from my Sheriff?
Old 03-14-2017, 8:14 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

What county do you live in? That is the million dollar question. Second question is why were you denied, which could have a lot to do with answer #1

Old 03-14-2017, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zok View Post
I want to know if this is a waste of time and money. I was denied by my county Sheriff. Then I applied with the Sheriff in the county I work in. I was approved over the phone and after a long conversation He told me it was only good for 90 days and could only carry in that county. After the 90 days I would have to go through the process again and also get approval from my Sheriff. Is this a waste of time and money or could this be a strategy to help get a ccw from my Sheriff?
I am not an attorney and nothing I write is legal advice.

Let me break this down to make sure I'm understanding you.

(1) You applied w/the sheriff of the county of your residence and were denied (presumably for insufficient GC).

(2) You then applied for a business CCW w/the sheriff of the county of the site of your business and were approved (along w/the usual business CCW limitations).

(3) You're asking if getting the latter will somehow convince the sheriff of the county of your residence that they were wrong in denying your a CCW and to: (a) change their mind about their GC standard, (b) change their mind about you, and (c) issue you a "normal" CCW?

If that's what you're asking, IMO, the question is answered in the asking....

Last edited by Paladin; 03-14-2017 at 8:28 PM..
Old 03-14-2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
What county do you live in? That is the million dollar question. Second question is why were you denied, which could have a lot to do with answer #1
I live in Santa Barbara county and was denied due to cause was not good enough.
Old 03-14-2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I am not an attorney and nothing I write is legal advice.

Let me break this down to make sure I'm understanding you.

(1) You applied w/the sheriff of the county of your residence and were denied (presumably for insufficient GC).

(2) You then applied for a business CCW w/the sheriff of the county of the site of your business and were approved (along w/the usual business CCW limitations).

(3) You're asking if getting the latter will somehow convince the sheriff of the county of your residence that they were wrong in denying your a CCW and to: (a) change their mind about their GC standard, (b) change their mind about you, and (c) issue you a "normal" CCW?

If that's what you're asking, IMO, the question is answered in the asking....
That is correct. Same cause in both counties.
Old 03-14-2017, 8:40 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It is not going to happen in Santa Barbara county. So if your angle is to try and convince Santa Barbara to issue you a CCW, just because you got a temp permit in another county, then yes you are wasting your time and money.

And I am not a lawyer, just a guy who keeps it real. Santa Barbara is virtually zero issue to civilians.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 03-14-2017 at 8:43 PM..
Old 03-14-2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
It is not going to happen in Santa Barbara county. So if your angle is to try and convince Santa Barbara to issue you a CCW, just because you got a temp permit in another county, then yes you are wasting your time and money.

And I am not a lawyer, just a guy who keeps it real. Santa Barbara is virtually zero issue to civilians.
Thanks for your advise. I was thinking along the same lines. It just made me think because San Luis Obispo kinda was hinting, at least that was my feeling.
Old 03-14-2017, 8:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That is correct. Same cause in both counties.
Well, if you're a rich dude, and you can easily afford to have your personal secretary fill out the forms every 90 days (for your signatures), and afford the costs of 4 business CCW apps/yr, go for the business CCW and just keep renewing it!

Everyday, when you pass into SLO Co, you get to "gear up" for the workday and part of your commute home.

See, it ALWAYS pays to be rich!
Old 03-14-2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Well, if you're a rich dude, and you can easily afford to have your personal secretary fill out the forms every 90 days (for your signatures), and afford the costs of 4 business CCW apps/yr, go for the business CCW and just keep renewing it!

Everyday, when you pass into SLO Co, you get to "gear up" for the workday and part of your commute home.

I wouldn't waist my money and time for only to carry in one county in this State. I'll just wait and see what happens with Peruta and HR 38.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The bigger issue is that with the recent change (effective 1/1/17?), renewal of the non-resident work/business CCW requires the concurrence of approval from the CLEO where one resides.

In other words, no more perpetual renewals without approval from the CLEO where one resides.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
The bigger issue is that with the recent change (effective 1/1/17?), renewal of the non-resident work/business CCW requires the concurrence of approval from the CLEO where one resides.

In other words, no more perpetual renewals without approval from the CLEO where one resides.
Do you have a citation for this? The way I read it last, the CLEO where one resides only get NOTIFIED but their approval is not required.

Old 03-15-2017, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Do you have a citation for this? The way I read it last, the CLEO where one resides only get NOTIFIED but their approval is not required.
26220. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=26220.
Quote:
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section and in subdivision (c) of Section 26210, a license issued pursuant to Section 26150 or 26155 is valid for any period of time not to exceed two years from the date of the license.

(b) If the licensee’s place of employment or business was the basis for issuance of a license pursuant to Section 26150, the license is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of the license. The license shall be valid only in the county in which the license was originally issued. The licensee shall give a copy of this license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides. The licensing authority that originally issued the license shall inform the licensee verbally and in writing in at least 16-point type of this obligation to give a copy of the license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county of residence. Any application to renew or extend the validity of, or reissue, the license may be granted only upon the concurrence of the licensing authority that originally issued the license and the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides.
Old 03-15-2017, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post

Why am I not surprised?

Oh, how I hope Trump royally (or should that be "presidentially"?) f---s this state over!

I can hardly wait for him to pack the federal courts and SCOTUS with strict constitutionalists and "smash into a thousand pieces" CA9!
Old 03-15-2017, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Did that change require a bill to get passed and signed into law? If so, when did that happen?

(It's kinda hard to keep up with all the ways Sacto screws gun owners in this state.)
Old 03-15-2017, 5:31 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Thank you. So the first issuance is notify only but any subsequent renewals require concurrence. Not sure how that makes sense, but like most things coming out of Sacto - I guess we shouldn't expect it to.

Old 03-15-2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Yesterday, my buddy was interviewed for his CCW. Good cause wasn't brought up at all.

As long as you have a clean record and are assessed as being of good moral character, you're a shoe-in.

Same State, different County. Weird, right?

I feel sorry for my brothers and sisters in Occupied Libtard California.
Old 03-15-2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterimage View Post
Yesterday, my buddy was interviewed for his CCW. Good cause wasn't brought up at all.

As long as you have a clean record and are assessed as being of good moral character, you're a shoe-in.

Same State, different County. Weird, right?

I feel sorry for my brothers and sisters in Occupied Libtard California.
What county? Must be nice!!
Old 03-15-2017, 7:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Did that change require a bill to get passed and signed into law? If so, when did that happen?

(It's kinda hard to keep up with all the ways Sacto screws gun owners in this state.)
Apparently that has been in the law for quite a while - that language is in the 2010 bill that re-orged the Dangerous Weapons Control laws.

No, I don't remember seeing it before, either.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-15-2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
What county? Must be nice!!
Shasta County.

There are a few hoops that need to be jumped through, but nothing compared to my SoCal neighbors.
Old 03-15-2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterimage View Post
Shasta County.

There are a few hoops that need to be jumped through, but nothing compared to my SoCal neighbors.
Wish his thinking was State wide!
Old 03-15-2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Wish his thinking was State wide!
Sheriff Bosenko has been raked across the coals by some. That being said, he's got my vote.
Old 03-15-2017, 8:10 PM
Banned

I live in LA County. I had a lot of work in Ventura County. I applied in Ventura County and was issued a 90 day permit. I renewed it 2 times. It is a PAIN IN THE @$$.

I let it expire.

The only good thing was they allowed 4 firearms only permit.
Old 03-15-2017, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Did that change require a bill to get passed and signed into law?
Yes.
Quote:
If so, when did that happen?

At least seven years ago; Prior to the recodification of 2010. The end of the statute shows:
Quote:
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)
ETA: I see Librarian was working while I napped.....

Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-15-2017 at 8:37 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
I live in LA County. I had a lot of work in Ventura County. I applied in Ventura County and was issued a 90 day permit. I renewed it 2 times. It is a PAIN IN THE @$$.

I let it expire.

The only good thing was they allowed 4 firearms only permit.
Yeah, that blows

At least I am capable of renewing every two years without going through a cavity search, for now....

The morons in Sacramento don't get it.

Leave us alone! We are not the problem! Your misguided laws do not affect criminals in the least. They will do what they want to. Pretty simple if you think about it.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Tagged for later