Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Default Gura: Force of Nature

I have the honor of being co-counsel with Alan Gura on a couple of cases here in California. Today we received notification of favorable outcomes in two cases in other states. One in which he played the crucial role of lead counsel (the Maryland Carry case) and another in which he appeared as amicus counsel (the Colorado Campus Carry case).

His victories are now starting to transcend great legal work and are treading into the realm of great art. Michelangelo's David and Pieta would have been enough, but the Sistine Chapel too?

Or if you prefer sports analogies: He isn't just on his way to winning the Triple Crown, he looks ready to repeat Secretariat's performance in the Belmont in 1973. Not only destroying the only other good horse in the country brave enough to enter the race (Sham), but setting a track record while doing it.

Or if you prefer military analogies, imagine if the 101st had not just broken out of Bastogne on their own (without Patton's help), but had gone on to crush the German counter-offensive (the Bulge) single-handedly.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation. I am a happy witness to this man's work and I am a grateful beneficiary of his talent.

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Unconsciously borrowed from: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it." — Judge Learned Hand

NONE of my posts on this website are legal advice.
I get the top bunk.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Arma View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation.
Thankfully he's on our side.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Another victory for the team!

Last edited by Helpful_Cub; 03-05-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation. I am a happy witness to this man's work and I am a grateful beneficiary of his talent.
This is outstanding!

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Y'all ROCK!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Shall Not Be Infringed!

Congrats and a huge thanks to Alan, and you too Don. Taking the fight to a whole nutha level. Keep it up.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Things are going well enough now that I must implore all the "Good gun lawyers" (Alan, along with our CA guys Don (you), Jason, Chuck, Bruce...) plus some others nationwide to use care, not fly on the same planes at the same time.

I'd also hope Clarence Thomas and Nino Scalia are eating their veggies and exercising.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Things are going well enough now that I must implore all the "Good gun lawyers" (Alan, along with our CA guys Don (you), Jason, Chuck, Bruce...) plus some others nationwide to use care, not fly on the same planes at the same time.

I'd also hope Clarence Thomas and Nino Scalia are eating their veggies and exercising.
Just to be safe, don't flip any damn coins to determine modes of travel at all!

ETA: At my company we used to joke that if this person or that person got hit by a bus, it would be the day [our company] died, and it was very true. We got out of that danger zone and are able to cautiously go after new products/markets now. Gun rights seems to be in that "don't get hit by a bus" stage right now.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10001110101 View Post
+1000... and I am very much looking forward to seeing Mr. Kilmer work in person at the next hearing in the Nordyke saga as well.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 03-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10001110101 View Post
You beat me to it!! It's a question of time as to how long the other side's rhetoric can continue to win the day. With Gura on our team, that success will come that much sooner!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Don,
You are a humble man........not something you see often in the Legal profession. You sir are to be commended as well for your unflagging diligence, desire and passion for the 2A cause. Your work is equally instrumental in building the momentum that has become the 2A steamroller reasserting the core right that has for so long been marginalized at the hands of government functionaries.

Best on your next battle in the long war.
Old 03-05-2012, 1:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewalker View Post
Just to be safe, don't flip any damn coins to determine modes of travel at all!

ETA: At my company we used to joke that if this person or that person got hit by a bus, it would be the day [our company] died, and it was very true. We got out of that danger zone and are able to cautiously go after new products/markets now. Gun rights seems to be in that "don't get hit by a bus" stage right now.

Add to that list "Don't take walks alone in your neighborhood late at night".

Breitbart found out about that one the hard way..

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 03-05-2012, 1:19 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

This thread would not be complete without this smilie.
Thanks to all of you for all that you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 03-05-2012, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Not to speak ill of the dead, but Breitbart is no Gura
Old 03-05-2012, 1:29 PM
Banned

Mad props bro
Old 03-05-2012, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I have the honor of being co-counsel with Alan Gura on a couple of cases here in California. Today we received notification of favorable outcomes in two cases in other states. One in which he played the crucial role of lead counsel (the Maryland Carry case) and another in which he appeared as amicus counsel (the Colorado Campus Carry case).

His victories are now starting to transcend great legal work and are treading into the realm of great art. Michelangelo's David and Pieta would have been enough, but the Sistine Chapel too?

Or if you prefer sports analogies: He isn't just on his way to winning the Triple Crown, he looks ready to repeat Secretariat's performance in the Belmont in 1973. Not only destroying the only other good horse in the country brave enough to enter the race (Sham), but setting a track record while doing it.

Or if you prefer military analogies, imagine if the 101st had not just broken out of Bastogne on their own (without Patton's help), but had gone on to crush the German counter-offensive (the Bulge) single-handedly.

The better sports analogy might be that he's becoming Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky and Babe Ruth all in one.

Alas, attornies such as Mr. Kilmer are "only" two of the above.
Old 03-05-2012, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
The better sports analogy might be that he's becoming Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky and Babe Ruth all in one.

Alas, attornies such as Mr. Kilmer are "only" two of the above.
All you need to do is compare Mr. Gura to Kobe. With that he will be happy.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-05-2012, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

methinks Gura is a four-letter word in the anti-gun ranks

Jim

Old 03-05-2012, 1:50 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Keep up the good work guys!

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 03-05-2012, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Nice! I approve of that analogy. Too bad Alan Gura doesn't post here... or doe he?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 03-05-2012, 2:16 PM

Quote:

-Gene
Considering that I've been a Lakers fan since about 1964, Kobe and Mr. Gura got game!!
And don't break Mr. Gura's nose. The plastic mask may be a distraction.

Last edited by Rossi357; 03-05-2012 at 2:20 PM..
Old 03-05-2012, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Default It's okay to have a man crush on him

Not too embarrassed to admit it.
Old 03-05-2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:

Thank YOU, Don. That's a very special OP. I think we ALL are in awe of Mr. Gura and thank and admire YOU greatly, also. I added your quote to my sigline in tribute to you both!
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 03-05-2012, 2:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Nice! I approve of that analogy. Too bad Alan Gura doesn't post here... or doe he?
Post? No....

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-05-2012, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

With the Secretariat mention above, am i the only one chuckling at the idea of Alan Gura running down a muddy track with a "little person" on his shoulders?
Old 03-05-2012, 2:58 PM

Quote:
You're not so shabby yourself, and the proof is that you and Gura are working together.
Old 03-05-2012, 2:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

-Gene
Sorry, as a lifelong Nor Cal person i just can't do this^^ OK for the Socal folks but i really think a Montana to Rice (pick your poison) would serve us up here a little better.
Old 03-05-2012, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Sorry, as a lifelong Nor Cal person i just can't do this^^ OK for the Socal folks but i really think a Montana to Rice (pick your poison) would serve us up here a little better.
Alan's an LA sports fan.

-Brandon
Old 03-05-2012, 3:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor P Price View Post
Alan's an LA sports fan.
I understand that! And its OK! Even Alan Gura is not perfect
Old 03-05-2012, 3:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus

*** Kicker!

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 03-05-2012, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I understand that! And its OK! Even Alan Gura is not perfect
You shut your mouth!

I believe he has a Kings jersey on in his twitter avatar. Wonder if he's a regular at Staples. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes out.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 03-05-2012, 3:19 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger

Thank YOU Don, for all of your great work and time. It's exciting for common folks like me to watch all of the good things happening as they unwind...

As you said, this is history in the making! And Alan Gura, what can I say...just feel so fortunate he's on the team

Thanks to EVEVERYONE on the "Team"...

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 03-05-2012, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

i think gura has a drink for free card in his pocket from every gun owner in the country at this point
Old 03-05-2012, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Alan is amicus counsel for the SAF/state organizations in Peterson v. Martinez. The fact that he is on our side makes me believe that we will win the 10th Circuit, and push it over the top.
Old 03-05-2012, 3:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

^ Yes, I am one of the common folk also and I appreciate what you and Alan are doing for our 2nd. amendment rights. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2012, 3:49 PM

Any ideas on how the Federal District court ruling will effect California?
Old 03-05-2012, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Keagy View Post
Any ideas on how the Federal District court ruling will effect California?
Some sheriff's may decide to flip.
Old 03-05-2012, 7:21 PM

If Sheriff Gore flips, I promise to mess my drawers.
Old 03-05-2012, 7:26 PM

Anyone here ever go shooting with Gura? I wonder what his prefered firearms are and what he owns. If i were an instructor, I'd give that guy free entry to any of my classes whenever he wanted to.