Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-09-2010, 8:41 PM

Man, I grew up just 10 miles from Camp Perry, lived there until I was 25. I never had the funds to get into long range shooting, so I never really went there except to watch my uncle compete.

Now that I have "a real job" and can afford a decent rifle, I live too far away from any long distance ranges. SacValley is the closest (~3 hours) and from what I'm reading on this post, they are only open to newbies/non-members very rarely (1st Saturday each month). I just can't win!
Old 10-12-2010, 8:22 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdumb View Post
Man, I grew up just 10 miles from Camp Perry, lived there until I was 25. I never had the funds to get into long range shooting, so I never really went there except to watch my uncle compete.

Now that I have "a real job" and can afford a decent rifle, I live too far away from any long distance ranges. SacValley is the closest (~3 hours) and from what I'm reading on this post, they are only open to newbies/non-members very rarely (1st Saturday each month). I just can't win!
No, you can also go out on Mondays with the Bench Rest group, Tuesday with the High Power guys.

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
No, you can also go out on Mondays with the Bench Rest group, Tuesday with the High Power guys.
That's good to know, but the weekdays conflict with my aforementioned "real job". I only have time to make it out there during weekends.
Old 11-05-2010, 8:33 PM

I sold my gun because there is hardly anywhere to shoot in the north valley. Someone has to have some property for some 1000yd+ shooting. Just not a fan of ranges. I wish they would just push back the benches at Oroville. This was my 1227yd range before I moved back to CA.

Old 01-08-2011, 9:04 PM

I joined the range after being told I could shoot anywhere on the range once I was a member. Then I found out you have to join a bunch of sub-clubs and take classes to shoot on anything but there 100 or 300 range. I'm a Marine Sniper and 6th award expert with pistol and rifle, I can't shoot the 1000? Needless to say, I won't be signing up for another membership. Besides I can't shoot my 50 or my 416 there. I'm sure the 338 Lapua will be out soon to. I think there on there way to airsoft only.
Old 01-09-2011, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
Then I found out you have to join a bunch of sub-clubs and take classes to shoot on anything but there 100 or 300 range. I can't shoot the 1000?
This is NOT true for the 1000 yard range. Yes, you would have to shoot with one of the "clubs" that uses the range in order to learn how things are done up there. Once that club determines that you are not a safety risk to yourself or others, then you can use the range when it is available.

The problem with the large calibers is not the bullets, it is the noise. There are several neighbors in the area, and there is no reason to risk the future of the club so a handful of individuals can shoot those calibers. This club has already been forced to move once, hopefully that will not happen again.
Old 01-09-2011, 5:42 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
I joined the range after being told I could shoot anywhere on the range once I was a member. Then I found out you have to join a bunch of sub-clubs and take classes to shoot on anything but there 100 or 300 range. I'm a Marine Sniper and 6th award expert with pistol and rifle, I can't shoot the 1000? Needless to say, I won't be signing up for another membership. Besides I can't shoot my 50 or my 416 there. I'm sure the 338 Lapua will be out soon to. I think there on there way to airsoft only.
Only hearing your side of what was explained to you, I can't say whether you were told incorrectly or not. Part of what YOU posted is correct, part is not.

If you will read the very first post in this thread it explains why not just anyone (even a "Marine Sniper") cannot just go shoot on the 1K range by themselves. The Sac Valley range is not in the middle of the desert with nothing around for miles and miles. The range is owned and operated by the Folsom Shooting Club. If anything were to happen they are the ones responsible, and who would get sued.

All matches, and all scheduled practice sessions, on the 1K range are open to anyone who wants to come out and shoot. Check the SVSC calendar for when those are and go have fun. Just select range 12 and the month from the drop down menus.
http://www.sacvalley.org/calendar.html

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 04-02-2011, 2:20 AM

Default Calibers allowed for 1k

I scrolled through most of the posts so I admit I may have overlooked it, Caliber restrictions? Most of the ranges Ive looked into do not allow the .338 lapua or barrett .416. Whats Sac States stand? Are there any local ranges in the Sac Stockton area that have and allow such calibers in the 1k arena.
Please advise.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

.338 is the maximum allowed at Sacramento Valley.

On the steel range, no FMJ and nothing over 3,000fps.