Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-27-2013, 5:02 PM
Just a Guy

Default How Good Are BSA Scopes

I'm thinking of buying a BSA target scope off ebay. Is $75.00 postage paid. Would like to know how good this brand of scope is ? Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 5:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bottom of the barrel quality. Make sure the seller has some return policy.
Old 10-27-2013, 5:12 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

What do you want to use this scope for?

I would buy something used in the $100 market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-27-2013, 5:15 PM
Just a Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
What do you want to use this scope for?

I would buy something used in the $100 market.
Target shooting on a .22 auto rifle
Old 10-27-2013, 5:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It'll probably be fine for your needs. I have a few BSAs on .22lrs and even a red dot on an AR. They all work fine for what they are. They don't compare to my Nightforces but, they aren't priced like a NF either. If you decide not to go with a BSA, look at Simmons scopes. They are inexpensive and work well for the casual plinker.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 10-27-2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a BSA target scope off ebay. Is $75.00 postage paid. Would like to know how good this brand of scope is ? Thanks
Do yourself a favor and spend a little more to get the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Rimfire - $130 at Amazon or Optics Planet.
(you'll also need some 1" rings and don't buy that UTG/NC Sta/Leapers junk either)

You will never be sorry...the Nikon glass is surprisingly bright & clear at this price point, has a forgiving eye box, and a custom BDC reticle tuned to 22 ammunition ballistics.

Borrowed this pic from another member here.
EVERYONE should read and understand it before they ever spend a nickel on glass.
That old saying, "You get what you pay for...", was invented when some old guys were discussing optics back in the 1800s...

Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 10-27-2013 at 6:06 PM..
Old 10-27-2013, 8:51 PM

I have to agree with the above...

Cheap scopes like Tasco, Leapers, Simmons, BSA, Bushnell (cheap line Bushnell) can be very hit or miss. They are really the same quality, regardless of the stamp they put on the side.

I have heard good things about Weaver scopes and Mueller (sp?) but I have never owned one of either.

I had a Simmons scope that was dead nuts on target for the fist 1500 rounds then had a wandering reticle. I cannot tell you the amount of time, frustration and wasted money on ammunition I had into the scope until I figured it out. I would re-sight the rifle. Shoot about 50-75 rounds then it would be off again. This cycle repeated itself to the point all did with that Ruger 10-22 was sight it in. Oh, and miss the ground squirrels by 2 inches that I was aiming at... Simmons did honor their warranty but I had to ship the scope to them and then pay a $15 return shipping charge. I never even put the replacement scope on a gun.

These cheap scopes lure you in with their many features for a cheap price. But they fail and you buy the scope more than once.

If you do opt for a sub $100 scope, get a fixed power scope. These have less things to go wrong. I have a BSA Catseye scope that loses POI-POA when you change power magnification. BSA replaced the scope, minus my cost for shipping there and back. I have yet to remount that scope.

All that being said my trusty Marlin (glenfield) model 60 wears a Leapers 4 power fixed scope and never has lost its accurate sight picture in 7000 rounds. So there are some good, cheap scopes. But with the cheap ones your are more likely to get a bad one new out the box and have failures in the future. Expensive scopes can fail but they have a much higher initial build quality and durability.

I have had good success with scopes from Nikon and Burris in the lower cost range.

Also beware aBay with the scammers on there. Also eBay is rabidly anti-2 amendment (they own PayPal). You should be able to buy the scope you want from an actual gun store/online retailer for the same price and support a 2A friendly company.
Old 10-27-2013, 9:28 PM

Im cheap and i bought a BSA 4-16x50 on ebay put it on my del-ton AR and I have to constantly adjust the knobs to stay on point and the cross hairs started getting blurry don't know why? . Would not reccomend but you're probably want to save money and you will go with what you can afford
Old 10-28-2013, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

+1 for the Nikon Rimfire.

Yes, it's double the money but it's a HUGE step up in quality & clarity, and not a $75 "Roll of the dice"... BSA might be okay, or might be a huge PITA that you then have to replace with something else.

If you really only want to spend $75, look at the Centerpoint scopes @ Wallyworld.

I have the 4-16 X 40 and it's surprisingly good as long as you don't go up to max magnification. It's reasonably clear and has held zero so far on a Marlin 795.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Primary Arms is my go to for budget optics. Stays zeroed, remarkably durable for a low cost optic, and they have been great with CS issues. The only problem I ever had was with a mount, and they replaced it without any hassle.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

BSA = Better Step Away!
Old 10-29-2013, 8:11 PM

Default I own a lot of BSA Scopes, but.....

In my experience, some are decent, others are not. IMHO, if you decide to buy in this price range, research, research, research. What you will find is that some are actually very good, but others are terrible. It's not like BSA actually builds all their own scopes - they probably sub them out to different plants, with very different levels of quality control. This results in some models being very good while others are horrible.

In addition to looking for a lot of reviews, I look for reports from people who are using them in high recoil applications. If the scope stands up to a heavy magnum, it will stand up to my 30-06 or .223. I have over 20 of these scopes and I have only had to pull one that I thought was questionable. It had a drifting zero problem. Swapping the scope seems to have solved the problem - but the mount may have been the problem.

I have had very good results with their 2x pistol scopes in scout mounts on a variety of rifles. I have several 2-7x Sweet .22 scopes and I love them. I bought a bunch as "Sweet 17" scopes cheap and just ordered .22 turrets.

My biggest complaint is that they seem to design scopes, make a bunch and then move on to another model. Sadly, this means if they come up with a very good scope (like the 1.5-4.5x I have on my AR), it may not be available when you want to get another one.

Lately, BSA seems to be attempting to move "upscale". They are making more expensive scopes and promoting their lifetime warranty. Time will tell if their products are really getting better, or if it is just marketing.

So, I guess the bottom line is; You pay either way. Either you spend a lot of time doing research, or you spend more money - and if you want a scope with virtually no negative reviews, you will spend a lot more.

Last edited by vincewarde; 10-30-2013 at 12:07 PM..