Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 PM

Default Long Range forest spots

Does anyone know any long range spots in the forest? Tahoe national forest or el dorado national forest. Preferably near forest hill, but i am looking to shoot at least 200 yards probably a max of 500 yards for fun

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Wants:
Remington M700, M1 Garand, AK-47, Build an AR
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How about just heading up north on I-5 and hit some BLM land over by Indian Valley?

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 PM

Not sure what that is, i barely even learned about the forests last year. Also i prefer the forests cause i would like to do some trails in 4wd

But what is blm land?

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM

If you come out to the el dorado to shoot you will get messed with by a USFS LEO. He's a douche and WILL give you a ticket, be very careful where you shoot on the el dorado national forest, people on this forum have dealt with him directly and he loves to take away guns. Consider yourself warned

- Rush Limbaugh
Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_530 View Post
If you come out to the el dorado to shoot you will get messed with by a USFS LEO. He's a douche and WILL give you a ticket, be very careful where you shoot on the el dorado national forest, people on this forum have dealt with him directly and he loves to take away guns. Consider yourself warned
Isn't it the same as tahoe nf? No shooting on private property and no shooting across roads or water?

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 03-19-2013, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Doesn't matter what the law is. He will give you a ticket anyway. Now, if you bring a map of the area with you, and a copy of the relevant CA penal codes and carefully explain to him why and how what you are doing is legal, he may not give you a ticket.
It comes down to this - he will ticket you no matter what. He figures you will pay the fine. If you, after a lengthy battle, are cleared of charges......nothing bad happens to him. He will ticket you.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:00 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have not experienced this in El Dorado NF...last time I was there was July of last year. Then again, last time a ranger dropped by our shooting site was maybe four years ago. He just asked if our weapons were legal and made sure we picked up our mess. No ticket or confiscation. When did those start to happen?
Old 03-19-2013, 3:17 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Doesn't matter what the law is. He will give you a ticket anyway. Now, if you bring a map of the area with you, and a copy of the relevant CA penal codes and carefully explain to him why and how what you are doing is legal, he may not give you a ticket.
It comes down to this - he will ticket you no matter what. He figures you will pay the fine. If you, after a lengthy battle, are cleared of charges......nothing bad happens to him. He will ticket you.
Holy crap, I just read your experience about fishing in EDNF. Now I'll will prepare my self with paperwork before I head out there. Thanks for the great story!
Old 03-19-2013, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

No prob. Just want others to learn from my experience.

OP - long distance shooting will be tough. You have to have a BIG backstop (like.....a mountain). Do you actually live in Tahoe?? If you drive a ways.....Washoe county has a FANTASTIC range. It's about an hour and 15 drive from Tahoe. It's 5 or 6 bucks, the RO is super anal (a good thing at a range). They have 200 yd target, 600 and 1000 yd gongs.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

BTW - he took my gun on Feb 2nd and I still haven't got it back. Waiting for my "gold seal" from our lovely DOJ.....
Old 03-19-2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post
I have not experienced this in El Dorado NF...last time I was there was July of last year. Then again, last time a ranger dropped by our shooting site was maybe four years ago. He just asked if our weapons were legal and made sure we picked up our mess. No ticket or confiscation. When did those start to happen?
They started happening when (edited by Mod, LEOs name deleted) started as an LEO on the El Dorado. I work on the El Dorado and I hear him messing with people on the radio all the time. He even stops by my station to show off the weapons he takes. This guy is a freakin tool, and writes tickets for things he knows won't hold up in court, but he does it anyways. Oh ya, he's a K9 LEO so don't be ridin dirty out there if you smell what I'm steppin in.

- Rush Limbaugh

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-20-2013 at 3:27 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They started happening when xxxxx started as an LEO on the El Dorado. I work on the El Dorado and I hear him messing with people on the radio all the time. He even stops by my station to show off the weapons he takes. This guy is a freakin tool, and writes tickets for things he knows won't hold up in court, but he does it anyways. Oh ya, he's a K9 LEO so don't be ridin dirty out there if you smell what I'm steppin in.
Wow this guy sounds filthy, thats insane that hr still has his job considering the number of things he writes up gets thrown out.

Bainter, I hope you get your gun back soon. You are an outstanding citizen and dont deserve this kind of garbage.

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-20-2013 at 3:28 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post
Wow this guy sounds filthy, thats insane that hr still has his job considering the number of things he writes up gets thrown out.
Why would he lose his job for following SOP? Hell, he probably gets commendations.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-20-2013, 2:03 AM

yeah that is pretty damn ridiculous. I usually have a good amount of paperwork with relevant penal codes as well as a map of the area with listed private property and all =) Hope you get that gun back soon, that is really horrible.

I actually live in Rancho Cordova, Forest Hill is our favorite area to shoot...sometimes it takes a while to make sure that the spot is legal to shoot if we are just driving around and find a good clear area.

I know I would need a mountain type backstop and I have yet to see one in Tahoe NF that is what led me to ask on here. Really the longest distance I have found was about 60 yards.

If anyone can plot some good spots on a map and send them it would be much appreciated, really even if it is just a nice spot that isn't the distance I am looking for, I am always up for a new location to try out. I have a Jeep so getting to hard to reach places isn't too much of a problem.

Thanks for the Warnings again about El Dorado NF also.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 03-20-2013, 6:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyebear View Post
yeah that is pretty damn ridiculous. I usually have a good amount of paperwork with relevant penal codes as well as a map of the area with listed private property and all =) Hope you get that gun back soon, that is really horrible.

I actually live in Rancho Cordova, Forest Hill is our favorite area to shoot...sometimes it takes a while to make sure that the spot is legal to shoot if we are just driving around and find a good clear area.

I know I would need a mountain type backstop and I have yet to see one in Tahoe NF that is what led me to ask on here. Really the longest distance I have found was about 60 yards.

If anyone can plot some good spots on a map and send them it would be much appreciated, really even if it is just a nice spot that isn't the distance I am looking for, I am always up for a new location to try out. I have a Jeep so getting to hard to reach places isn't too much of a problem.

Thanks for the Warnings again about El Dorado NF also.
Have you checked out Sacramento Valley Shooting Center? They have a 1000 yard range that is open to the public on club practice days. Info is in the Center Fire Rifle forum under a stickied post.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-20-2013, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Why would he lose his job for following SOP? Hell, he probably gets commendations.

That ^ and it's next to impossible to get fired from the federal government. Like I've said before I have heard this guy on the radio call in the serial numbers on wood spliters, and disbatch will come back with, "umm those aren't in our system".

- Rush Limbaugh
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Have you checked out Sacramento Valley Shooting Center? They have a 1000 yard range that is open to the public on club practice days. Info is in the Center Fire Rifle forum under a stickied post.

Yeah I have checked them out, was just hoping for somewhere free to shoot. I don't consider cost of gasoline because I would prefer to be in the forest to 4x4. Anyway it may come down to just doing a range.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 03-20-2013, 3:23 PM

How would you be sure no one was in your line of fire on public land from 1000 yards away? You might be able to see them, or not. Anyone could wander in, not knowing you were there.

Go to Sac Valley and avoid a tragedy.

BTW, please be very careful bad-mouthing anyone here on the Forum, and especially government employees. Say your opinion, say the truth but be civil and polite. Really.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 03-21-2013, 8:54 PM

Not bad mouthing, stating facts

- Rush Limbaugh
Old 03-29-2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
How would you be sure no one was in your line of fire on public land from 1000 yards away? You might be able to see them, or not. Anyone could wander in, not knowing you were there.

Go to Sac Valley and avoid a tragedy.
I never asked for 1000 yards.

If you read the first post I was asking for a distance of 200 yards.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 04-02-2013, 7:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyebear View Post
I never asked for 1000 yards.

If you read the first post I was asking for a distance of 200 yards.
200 yds isn't long range.

300 - 1000 yards is.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
200 yds isn't long range.

300 - 1000 yards is.
yeah guess thats why I put 200 - 500 yards.

Anyway I was able to find a spot that you can easily do 200 yards safely and legally. But that is the maximum I have come across so far up in TNF.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 04-06-2013, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

the public ranges are 100 & 300. The 1000 yd range is for members.

I stand corrected. See JDay's #15

Last edited by ElDub1950; 04-07-2013 at 6:13 AM..
Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
the public ranges are 100 & 300. The 1000 yd range is for members.
Did you even read my post?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=217649

Old 04-10-2013, 7:55 AM

Spenceville has a 400 yard I believe.. and maybe 500..
Old 04-11-2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosjunkie View Post
If you managed to get 400 yards your target would have to be way up in the trees on top of the hill some place. But even at 300-350 it's within the range the op was asking for.

If you're going to that place on the weekend, go early and be prepared to deal with knuckleheads. There's been times I was there and everyone was cool, but I've also seen some serious idiots at times. Not to mention the occasional bozo shooting something fully auto.
Old 04-11-2013, 9:38 PM

Also, if you go to Spenceville remember it's paper targets and clays only. Got hassled by the sheriff there one time even for shooting up our halloween pumpkins. Of course evey single guy there was doing the same thing so we all got a lecture.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosjunkie View Post
Small patch of dirt below rocks on the left is 213 or so. Or at least that's what the guy next to me said it was with a range finder.

Either way, it was free and no one wanted to shoot at that distance....seems like everyone would rather shoot at old tvs and glass bottles with their shotguns. yeeeeehaw