Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-16-2014, 5:04 AM

Default Bubba or Sporter

Bubba or Sporter - I here the two references all the time. Question is what's the difference? I am in the process of changing up my Mosin 91/30. I have had a boxed Mosin and a ATI stock for months, so I ordered some parts. Tinmey trigger, Rock Solid Ind. Picatiny Scope Mount, new bolt, and a flash hider/suppressor. Plan is to chop down and thread the barrel, drop in the trigger group, drill, tap, and mount the RSI mount, swap out the bolt, bolt it in the stock, then add a decent scope and rings. So am I a bubba or a sporter?

Old 07-16-2014, 5:46 AM
Veteran Member

Bubba.
Old 07-16-2014, 6:12 AM
Veteran Member

Depends on who you ask really. Most people consider anything done nowadays to be a bubba job, and I kind of agree. What I usually consider a sporter is an older military rifle that someone lovingly took the time to craft into a beautiful sporting arm, generally done a long long time ago with old-world craftsmanship. Lotta stuff now consists of a drop-in stock, a no-gunsmithing scope mount, other little things that don't really require any degree of skill to pull off, and most look kind of cheesy too. That said, I'm building a similar mosin "bubba" or "sporter" so don't let it get you down. I do really like a well-done old military sporter though, kinda pissed that I sold all mine now. Oh well, made room for more pretty unmolested rifles so I guess it's all right.
Old 07-16-2014, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

My personal interpretation is if it was Sported in the 1950s-60s it was sported by a importer to sell as a hunting rifle instead of being sold for scrap metal. a honorable thing to do. Or it might have been sold surplus and the buyer changed the stock or maybe put a scope on it. Another honorable thing to do back then. these surplus rifles back then were not considered collectable at all.
I am OK with finding a rifle that has already been altered past putting back to original and playing with it. But why mod a old military rifle that has survived 60-70 years in original condition.
Old 07-16-2014, 9:15 AM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

Is that banjo music I hear?

"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.

"Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.

Don't do it - it's a dangerous and slippery slope.

First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.

Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story, you are trying out your favorite pick-up lines like "You got a pretty mouth" on your sister and barnyard livestock, and then you end up down by the river trying to romance guys in canoes.
Old 07-16-2014, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Kelster, you seem to think the terms are somehow mutually exclusive.

Sporterizing a milsurp rifle made a lot of sense when they were a fraction of the price of the bottom of the line Remington or Winchester, and could be found by the barrel full in the local hardware store. Those days are long gone.

With a Mosin, you will spend $300 turning a $150 gun into a $100 gun, that won't be as accurate as a bottom of the line Wal-Mart/Big 5 bolt gun.

The sad thing is that the money you are spending would be about the same as the price of a real "tactical" Mosin, a PU Sniper.
Old 07-16-2014, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

This is a example of a "sporter-ized" rifle:

Someone (NOT ME) took a very nice Remington M1903a3 and sporterized it.
Decent job, not the best but not the worst I've seen either.

A bubba mosin? - just google the phrase and you'll see plenty of examples!

There's one on this forum and a couple post down (hint-metal mosin)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.

Last edited by DennisCA; 07-16-2014 at 9:45 AM..
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

You be Bubba. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 07-16-2014, 10:33 AM

"Kelster, you seem to think the terms are somehow mutually exclusive.

Sporterizing a milsurp rifle made a lot of sense when they were a fraction of the price of the bottom of the line Remington or Winchester, and could be found by the barrel full in the local hardware store. Those days are long gone.

With a Mosin, you will spend $300 turning a $150 gun into a $100 gun, that won't be as accurate as a bottom of the line Wal-Mart/Big 5 bolt gun.

The sad thing is that the money you are spending would be about the same as the price of a real "tactical" Mosin, a PU Sniper."

I am just looking to build something fun to shoot, that's different then what I have. Yeah I could go buy another bolt gun, and to me it will end up being like the other 15+ I have in the gun safes. As far as accuracy goes, I walk to the end of the 100 yard range and throw up my target and I am good with hitting the circle....honestly, most of the Mosin's I have shot are just as accurate as many rifles that cost 2-3 times as much. As far as value goes.....I have only sold / traded 2-3 guns over the last 22 years. So to me value is if I like it or not
Old 07-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Banned

Bubba, you don't even know if the rifle you have shoots well enough to justify even shooting, much less hot rodding.

But hey, if you want to put lipstick on a pig...
Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Bubba.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelster1574 View Post
"Kelster, you seem to think the terms are somehow mutually exclusive.

The sad thing is that the money you are spending would be about the same as the price of a real "tactical" Mosin, a PU Sniper."

I am just looking to build something fun to shoot, that's different then what I have. Yeah I could go buy another bolt gun, and to me it will end up being like the other 15+ I have in the gun safes. As far as accuracy goes, I walk to the end of the 100 yard range and throw up my target and I am good with hitting the circle....honestly, most of the Mosin's I have shot are just as accurate as many rifles that cost 2-3 times as much. As far as value goes.....I have only sold / traded 2-3 guns over the last 22 years. So to me value is if I like it or not
you earned the right to do whatever you want to a MOSIN.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
OK, so why would you try and turn a historic military rifle into a poor equivalent of a modern bolt gun? That makes it more fun to shoot somehow?

I have as much fun shooting milsurps with iron sights as I do shooting my PU or my modern bolt guns.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM

For the record, timney triggers don't "drop in" according to what I've read. May need some fitting. Sometimes the ATI stock also needs fitting.... my T53 extractor wasn't working till i dremeled some material off the inside of the ATI stock.
Old 07-16-2014, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
Bubba, you don't even know if the rifle you have shoots well enough to justify even shooting, much less hot rodding.

But hey, if you want to put lipstick on a pig...
I agree....I am rolling the dice

Old 07-16-2014, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoMan View Post
For the record, timney triggers don't "drop in" according to what I've read. May need some fitting. Sometimes the ATI stock also needs fitting.... my T53 extractor wasn't working till i dremeled some material off the inside of the ATI stock.
I have heard that as well. I am sure there will be some fitting in every step. Thats part of the fun, right?

Old 07-16-2014, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
OK, so why would you try and turn a historic military rifle into a poor equivalent of a modern bolt gun? That makes it more fun to shoot somehow?

I have as much fun shooting milsurps with iron sights as I do shooting my PU or my modern bolt guns.
I am in no way trying to turn it into anything other then a Mosin with a few upgrades. Like I said, just looking to build something that is different then what I already have.

I agree, I have a M44 and SKS that are bone stock. They serve that purpose and give me a fix when I feel the need.

Old 07-16-2014, 2:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question

You're using an ATI stock and you're asking whether or not the gun is a "bubba"?

Can't believe I read that.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 07-16-2014, 3:02 PM

When I think of "Bubba", I think of some dude in the sticks taking a perfectly good rifle and doing ghetto crap to it, thinking he's making it 'better' somehow.

I'm not a big fan of most sporterized rifles, but if done right they can still function properly and look somewhat classy doing it. You figure back in the day they had a ton of milsurp rifles being sold everywhere so it was no big deal. Now that several decades have gone by and many good examples of these old rifles have washed up - it's a different story.

And I do in fact own a sporterized '03 I got for $350 with a Redfield Revenge scope from a friend. It still looks good for being chopped up, IMO. Whoever sporterized and refinished it did a decent job. And I really like the Monte Carlo stock on it.

Last edited by anti; 07-16-2014 at 3:05 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 5:19 AM
Calguns Addict

i have a model 1917 that somebody 50+ years ago thought it would be nice to install it in a monte carlo stock. OK he also must have owned a hack saw because the only other thing he did is cut down the protective ears protecting the rear peep sight . 1950s bubba award. i still love this fine shooter as is. the good news is because of the bubba job i only paid 275 for a nice 30-6 shooter.
Old 07-17-2014, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
Is that banjo music I hear?

"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.

Don't do it - it's a dangerous and slippery slope.

First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.

Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story, you are trying out your favorite pick-up lines like "You got a pretty mouth" on your sister and barnyard livestock, and then you end up down by the river trying to romance guys in canoes.
Another gem from Marcus.

I have a nice sportered 1903 that I will keep that way. I got a poorly sportered enfeild that had to be restored. Sometimes people think changing it is going to make a super precise "sniper rifle", most of the time it just takes away the nice character the rifle has built up over 60-70-80 years
Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.
Old 07-17-2014, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am in no way trying to turn it into anything other then a Mosin with a few upgrades. Like I said, just looking to build something that is different then what I already have.
So how about building something "different" that doesn't involve chopping up a piece of history? Or better yet, find one that some other bubba has already "improved", like the Enfield Jungle carbine on the rack at Cabela's in Reno. Someone "improved" it by replacing the stock, and removing the flash hider/front sight assembly and replacing them with what appears to be a shotgun bead. I think they only wanted $150 for it.

Yeah, there are millions of them, and on the scale of collectability now a bog-standard 91/30 is not that high, but what has "No Collector Value" today, may not have "No Collector Value" even next year.

Four years ago, Soviet Capture K98s were available all over the place for about $200. Now, when you can find them they are over twice that.

Ten-twelve years ago, Swede Mausers were going for $99 for a M96 and ~$125 for a M38, retail. Now good examples of either are going for $500.

The newest WW2-era rifles are 69 years old, and they aren't making any more.

If you want to pimp out your milsurp, do yourself a favor and keep the parts, and don't do anything that can't be reversed.

Or leave it alone, and take it out and shoot it. The Sacramento Valley shooting center has Vintage Military silhouette matches monthly, and Long Range Milsurp matches every couple months, out to 800 yards. Hell, I shot a 3-gun match with my K98, in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti View Post
When I think of "Bubba", I think of some dude in the sticks taking a perfectly good rifle and doing ghetto crap to it, thinking he's making it 'better' somehow.
So pretty much exactly what the OP is talking about doing.
Old 07-17-2014, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

$150 for a Bubba #5? I'd jump on that if a saw hasn't been taken to it. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 07-17-2014, 3:40 PM

I my mind, a sporter is a custom or semi custom rifle built on a military bolt action. I have seen very nice sporters built on 1903 and Mauser actions. Gloss bluing, checkering, bedding. Some level of professional modification.

A bubba is the opposite. Bubba doesn't know how to build a stock or change a barrel. Bubba uses a hacksaw, a dremel and a can of krylon, then drops the rifle into a shoddy ATI stock and then tries to sell his Mosin on GB as a "sniper" rifle because it's black and has a cheap scout scope.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 07-17-2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
So how about building something "different" that doesn't involve chopping up a piece of history? Or better yet, find one that some other bubba has already "improved", like the Enfield Jungle carbine on the rack at Cabela's in Reno. Someone "improved" it by replacing the stock, and removing the flash hider/front sight assembly and replacing them with what appears to be a shotgun bead. I think they only wanted $150 for it.

Yeah, there are millions of them, and on the scale of collectability now a bog-standard 91/30 is not that high, but what has "No Collector Value" today, may not have "No Collector Value" even next year.

Four years ago, Soviet Capture K98s were available all over the place for about $200. Now, when you can find them they are over twice that.

Ten-twelve years ago, Swede Mausers were going for $99 for a M96 and ~$125 for a M38, retail. Now good examples of either are going for $500.

The newest WW2-era rifles are 69 years old, and they aren't making any more.

If you want to pimp out your milsurp, do yourself a favor and keep the parts, and don't do anything that can't be reversed.

Or leave it alone, and take it out and shoot it. The Sacramento Valley shooting center has Vintage Military silhouette matches monthly, and Long Range Milsurp matches every couple months, out to 800 yards. Hell, I shot a 3-gun match with my K98, in the rain.

So pretty much exactly what the OP is talking about doing.
I give up you win....lol I understand your a traditionalist, nothing wrong with that. I guess I am not, I have mounted scopes on my bolt guns, heck even on a Lever Action, I have even replaced sights on a couple handguns....I know, I know....what was I thinking

Old 07-18-2014, 6:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have mounted scopes on my bolt guns, heck even on a Lever Action, I have even replaced sights on a couple handguns....I know, I know....what was I thinking
Who said anything about lever guns or pistols? Were they military guns? If not, then who cares?

My Mosin 91/30 was made in 1943, and could have been used at Kursk, or the liberation of Kiev, or any of a hundred other battles driving the Soviet drive to and eventual fall of Berlin. It could also have been used to bayonet German wounded, or guard political prisoners in Stalin's gulags, or even hold a grandfather at gunpoint while his wife and daughter were gang raped. It has blonde stock, and is noticeably darker on the wrist of the stock, almost as if some oily handed Russian conscript spent a long time holding it there defending the Motherland from the fascist invaders.

I also have a 1943 PU Sniper that could have been at any of the same places, and a 1939 M38 that could have been used in Stalingrad or driving the Germans back the gates of Moscow.

It is your rifle, and you can certainly do whatever you want with it, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It is a piece of history, an artifact that was witness to (and part of) the greatest struggle in the history of mankind. It was certainly used to help drive the fascist invaders from the Motherland, and could have participated in acts or great heroism or unspeakable evil.

It would be a shame to chop it up and drill holes in it.
Old 07-20-2014, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

there's no historical value to a mosin.

the only reason they bring what little they do on the market is because of "millitaria" collectors.

at a big enough show that's two rows down from doll collectors.

now the #96 swede i'm fixing to clean up is at least beautiful,well made and in a superior caliber.

the notion that there is any support for you guys wanting to preserve all the old military rifles left in the world in original condition as "art" is fantasy, it's just you.

but buy all you want, grow your hoard enjoy whatever satisfaction it is you get out of them but when it gets to the point you feel entitled to an opinion about what other people do with their property.

check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Pronouns: "Dude" and "Playa".

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.
Old 07-20-2014, 7:33 AM

I am not a "puritan" type of antique rifle collector who wouldn't rub the dirt from an old battlefield off my rifle, but still, I do not understand the point of buying an antique, and then spending $$$ to make it into an essentially modern rifle. I like my antiques to remain antique in their composition because it's fun to compare shooting old vs. new. If you want a rifle with modern technology, just buy one, Bubba. Yes, that's right, I vote "Bubba".
Old 07-20-2014, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

and stated above it is also my opinion is that a sporter is -

done correctly in the 1950s era by at least a semi-professional gun smith or better... fine wood, hand checkering, beautifully bedded etc... that's a sporter.
(if you look at their prices they are still relatively very low for the work that went into them & the rifles that they were.)

but I also think Bubba = total hackjob.

I think you're trying to do what I would consider "modified".

I'm not above buying a modified one as long as it's cheaper than one that was left in stock.

Just do what you like with your own mosin..

I heard they made at least 17 of them.
;-)

(but except that you're going to be losing money on it / but possibly getting some fun and a learning experience along the way.
and it seems like you already know that.)
Old 07-20-2014, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post

the only reason they bring what little they do on the market is because of "millitaria" collectors.

now the #96 swede i'm fixing to clean up is at least beautiful,well made and in a superior caliber.

the notion that there is any support for you guys wanting to preserve all the old military rifles left in the world in original condition as "art" is fantasy, it's just you.

but buy all you want, grow your hoard enjoy whatever satisfaction it is you get out of them but when it gets to the point you feel entitled to an opinion about what other people do with their property.

how can you say a MN has no historical value ?. 1917 revolution, WW 1 WW 2 Korean war VN war. the hate is unbelievable.Your craftsmanship value is clouding your historical judgment. most mosin fans do not care about what you think of them.what historical value does a sweed mauser have ZERO
Old 07-20-2014, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Liberty: The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one’s way of life, behavior, or political views.

As long as you aren't hurting someone else, you go right ahead and take whatever liberties that you wish on that Mosin. They are neither rare nor is yours the last one on earth.

Cut it up and make it wall art for all I care. Letting others make decisions for you does not promote liberty.

Send me a pic when you are done, I'd like to see it.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Today. Now you say it: "They have little collector value today" You do realize prices for even plain-jane 91-30s have doubled in the past couple years, right? You used to be able to buy them for $69, now the best prices are around $140.

Quote:
You realize it wasn't that long ago that Swede M96s sold for $99 at Big-5 because they had no collector value right?

Quote:

Oh wait, you are serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Liberty: The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one’s way of life, behavior, or political views.

As long as you aren't hurting someone else, you go right ahead and take whatever liberties that you wish on that Mosin. They are neither rare nor is yours the last one on earth.

Cut it up and make it wall art for all I care. Letting others make decisions for you does not promote liberty.

Send me a pic when you are done, I'd like to see it.
Nobody is telling him he can't do it. Like I mentioned a couple days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
It is your rifle, and you can certainly do whatever you want with it
He has the "Liberty" to sodomize his rifle however he chooses. However, when he posts about it in a public forum, I (and others) have the "liberty" to tell him it is a dumb thing to do.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Bubba or Sporter - I here the two references all the time. Question is what's the difference?
"Bubba" permanently modifies an original military rifle. Sporters are build from parts guns, or rifles that are not original when found.
Examples:

Sporter Mosin that shoots 1/4" groups at 300 yards:

Bubba Mosin that throws bullets in the general direction it's pointed:

Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
how can you say a MN has no historical value ?. 1917 revolution, WW 1 WW 2 Korean war VN war. the hate is unbelievable.Your craftsmanship value is clouding your historical judgment. most mosin fans do not care about what you think of them.what historical value does a sweed mauser have ZERO
not hate, and i do enjoy handling & feeling the heft of a gun new to me like any gun guy.

the gun culture has many disciplines. hunting, target & collecting in all the varied forms.

during the great depression about all the use most americans had for guns was getting grub for the table.

when world war 2 was over the g.i.'s came home and rebuilt their lives, america and really the world. part of it was the idea of swords back to plows but more importantly the healing and growth of men that would become known as our "finest generation".

from these young men going into the woods and fields transitioning back into peacetime sprang an industry and a uniquely american condition. the outdoorsman.

so before you malign the practice of taking something common to the point uselessness and applying ingenuity to make it at least the sort of thing worth a giggle (like anything made from a moisin) you should know while protesting my regard for history you come up short yourself. it's a practice that's well accepted , past & present. it's not done to save money i wouldn't think (at least not a second time when you know better)

yeah the swede has no historic value also. i bought it to convert, not because i'm in the "crazy cat ladies of the gun culture" club. if there were like 7 of them or they were ever involved in a war (not sa marked) that might be different.

no one likes to see a gun misused or abused.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

He has the "Liberty" to sodomize his rifle however he chooses. However, when he posts about it in a public forum, I (and others) have the "liberty" to tell him it is a dumb thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
so before you malign the practice of taking something common to the point uselessness and applying ingenuity to make it at least the sort of thing worth a giggle (like anything made from a moisin) you should know while protesting my regard for history you come up short yourself. it's a practice that's well accepted , past & present. it's not done to save money i wouldn't think (at least not a second time when you know better)
Past sure. Present, not so much.

Like I mentioned a few days ago, sporterizing a milsurp rifle made a lot of sense when they were a fraction of the price of the bottom of the line Remington or Winchester, and could be found by the barrel full in the local hardware store. Those days are long gone.

Then again, maybe the OP will end up with a masterpiece like this one:

Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

He has the "Liberty" to sodomize his rifle however he chooses. However, when he posts about it in a public forum, I (and others) have the "liberty" to tell him it is a dumb thing to do.[/QUOTE]

fair enough, do i also have the liberty to ask how it is you feel entitled to an opinion on what he doe's with his property?

he might have no interest in 12 greasy rifles in a closet but want to do a little tinkering with an old battle rifle. whats it to you how he spends his hobby money?

is it a moral question? should he feel responsible for "preserving" this particular rifle knowing there is no way we could ever run out of old battle rifles?

what your'e up to is not ethic, it's like yuppie fly fishermen using code group and intimidation on weak minded wannabes, it has it's limitations.

you have some reason i should run my budget for the project by you first do you?

do i need to provide some supporting rationale why it would please me more to have an old modified battle rifle over a new rifle? (that's easy)

gun guys are kinda known for spending whatever we want to on our fun, if you plan to change that all around i'm curious how you plan to go about it.

if all you got is weak internet bullying good luck to you and hoard on.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

during the great depression about all the use most americans had for guns was getting grub for the table.
Hi Stonefly,

Elmer Keith talks about collecting at some length, in his book "Sixguns" - cowboy collecting was popular in the teens, 1920's, enough that he was complaining about faked (hand produced) Walker Colt's back then, as they commanded more money due to their rarity -
Civil War collecting was also popular around this time.
The depression was rough on very many folks, but arms collecting at this time continued and is quite well documented.

It is romantic notion to believe the 1920's American's only use for a firearm was to gather grub.

I think you'll find gun collecting is as old as the gun itself, and the tradition of amassing more than you need at any one time is a healthy American tradition.

As to Bubba - he thinks he's doing a good job, whether it's guns, knives, cars, homes that he's improving with his bailing wire and spray can - and he too has been around since the revolution, I think he came from England actually.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I feel a need to throw in my two cents for some reason...

The biggest difference between sporterizing and bubba'ing a mil-surp rifle is in the quality of work. Bolting on crap that doesn't fit is bubba'ing, carefully fitting stuff with professional quality is sporterizing, whether you do it in your garage, in your shop, or haver a gunsmith do it. The next biggest difference would be the end game of whatever you're doing. Even if you are doing the highest quality work, if you are trying to make a mall ninja mil-surp, I'd say your bubba'ing.

As for the collectibility, history, etc, assuming it's one of a million:
It's a military surplus rifle, so what?
It's old, so what?
It might have been used to kill nazis, so what?
It might have sat in a corner where it was never picked up or fired in anger, so what?
It's not a living thing, it can't recall the history it's 'seen' and it certainly can't tell you more than you can divine from the markings on the rifle.

Do with it as you see fit. The collectors should all thank the people permanently altering their mosins. If enough people do, that one of a million rifle might someday be one of thousands and then one of hundreds and then truly become something rare and interesting.
Old 07-20-2014, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
Hi Stonefly,

Elmer Keith talks about collecting at some length, in his book "Sixguns" - cowboy collecting was popular in the teens, 1920's, enough that he was complaining about faked (hand produced) Walker Colt's back then, as they commanded more money due to their rarity -
Civil War collecting was also popular around this time.
The depression was rough on very many folks, but arms collecting at this time continued and is quite well documented.

It is romantic notion to believe the 1920's American's only use for a firearm was to gather grub.

I think you'll find gun collecting is as old as the gun itself, and the tradition of amassing more than you need at any one time is a healthy American tradition.

As to Bubba - he thinks he's doing a good job, whether it's guns, knives, cars, homes that he's improving with his bailing wire and spray can - and he too has been around since the revolution, I think he came from England actually.
expendable income for collecting guns or anything else would have been very different pre and post war, no matter a minor point.

i'm a collector too, i agree with that part, i don't see the interest in greasy rifles but i don't need to. it's not me collecting them. it's none of my business what they do with them (see where this is going?)

regarding your "as to bubba" section:

is it that you feel he's not doing a good enough job on his property to meet with your standards?