Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 01-23-2018, 8:11 AM

Default Holster for my Wife

Hello, I am looking for holster recommendations for my wife who is very skinny. I do not have this issue as I am not skinny and can easily conceal a full size 1911! She usually carries an xds or a Kahr .380. Sometimes, she carries a subcompact xd. In the summer, she often has to go unarmed due to concealment issues. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2018, 8:59 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Same issue here to some extent. My gal isn't "skinny" but she's not fat and she has to wear clothes that fit for work and concealment on the body so far has eluded her. When she does carry it's in a CCW purse. Not ideal...
Old 01-23-2018, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Look into a belly band type holster.

My wife likes this one

https://www.amazon.com/ComfortTac-Ul...y+band+holster

Also talk to Grantar2 he has few nice options designed with ladies in mind.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=186031

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 01-23-2018, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

What position does she carry in? Does she want leather or kydex?

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-24-2018, 7:12 AM

usually on her hip in about the 4 o'clock position
Old 01-24-2018, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoGuns View Post
Hello, I am looking for holster recommendations for my wife who is very skinny. I do not have this issue as I am not skinny and can easily conceal a full size 1911! She usually carries an xds or a Kahr .380. Sometimes, she carries a subcompact xd. In the summer, she often has to go unarmed due to concealment issues. Any suggestions?
I carry a G19 in a Daltech Bellyband.
LINK

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 01-24-2018, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

OP ask in the ladies forum?
Old 01-24-2018, 7:36 AM

Check out a Sideguard Quick Clip. They put the clip a little bit offset and a little bit higher than most holsters. The result is a gun that sits very low on your belt and close to your side.

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/QuickClip.htm
Old 01-24-2018, 7:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Skinny people need an appropriate firearm and clothing.

A friend complains that he cannot hide his Glock 19

He is short, skinny and wears tight shirts....

They make the pouch type holsters that hold a shield/ lc9 type of pistol
All choices offer plus and minus.

Appendix carry and skinny works if you have the right clothing for that combo.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 01-24-2018, 8:34 AM

My wife has a belly band and sticky holster. The Sticky gets the most carry with her G42 and Walther ppk/s. She likes how comfortable and easy to take on and off. I carry my pps m2 in a Sticky and really like it. Stealthgear makes a comfortable holster as well, I own a mini and it’s very nice, no sweating.
Old 01-24-2018, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
My wife has a belly band and sticky holster. The Sticky gets the most carry with her G42 and Walther ppk/s. She likes how comfortable and easy to take on and off. I carry my pps m2 in a Sticky and really like it. Stealthgear makes a comfortable holster as well, I own a mini and it’s very nice, no sweating.
I have looked at the Sticky holsters but hesitant about sweating. Any issues with sweating?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 01-24-2018, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoGuns View Post
Please check your PM. There are a number of solutions to allow your wife to carry any gun she wants. Bottom line it's not hard.
Old 01-24-2018, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
I have looked at the Sticky holsters but hesitant about sweating. Any issues with sweating?
Sticky Holsters are made in Florida there will not be a problem with sweating. I am the leading seller of Sticky Holsters in the western U.S. and my experience is that people are amazed at the comfort in all weather conditions. If your in OC or Ontario I suggest bringing your gun by and try one on.
Old 01-24-2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Sticky Holsters are made in Florida there will not be a problem with sweating. I am the leading seller of Sticky Holsters in the western U.S. and my experience is that people are amazed at the comfort in all weather conditions. If your in OC or Ontario I suggest bringing your gun by and try one on.
Where in Ontario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4473G19 View Post
Women Concealed Carry Store. https://www.flashbangstore.com. I have one of their IWB holsters for a Glock 42....Light weight and low profile. They have a good return policy if a holster doesnt work out.
Bought a Flashbang and returned it. It was coming apart right out of the package.

― Mark Twain
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM

She uses a sticky now but has issues with concealing in the summer still...checking pm
Old 01-25-2018, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

We are going to be at the Ontario Gun Show the first weekend in February.
If your wife comes to the show please have her bring her gun and dress the way she does most often if that works for her. We can discuss some options, have her try a couple things out.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:38 AM

Any belly band should do. Best option for woman. The brave response appendix holster is my favorite. It’s small and has a slot for one extra mag. There standard holster is over kill in my opinion who needs to carry 3 extra mags? Ha ha. $60 on Concealedcarry.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymallory1 View Post
Any belly band should do. Best option for woman. The brave response appendix holster is my favorite. It’s small and has a slot for one extra mag. There standard holster is over kill in my opinion who needs to carry 3 extra mags? Ha ha. $60 on Concealedcarry.com

A number of women particularly older women who have experienced menopause won't wear a belly band as they already run continuously and uncomfortably hot.

If a Belly band is going to be the primary carry plan on owning a minimum of three to allow laundering. It is essentially an undergarment.

If you decide to try a belly band a basic is the best way to start it will usually have a nested holster so either large or small guns can be carried. It will usually also allow for two spare mags.

It is important to understand the rig is worn to the same height as underwear around the hips, not around the belly. practice, location and technique are important.

If you like the basic, custom rigs with various weapons, mag and options placement can be ordered.

Figure a quality basic at $19, and custom rigs between $45-$65.

6" wide bands have the best results for most users, but there are options.

I recommend trying on a belly band before buying. (which yes you can do at our store).
Old 01-26-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
A number of women particularly older women who have experienced menopause won't wear a belly band as they already run continuously and uncomfortably hot.

If a Belly band is going to be the primary carry plan on owning a minimum of three to allow laundering. It is essentially an undergarment.

If you decide to try a belly band a basic is the best way to start it will usually have a nested holster so either large or small guns can be carried. It will usually also allow for two spare mags.

It is important to understand the rig is worn to the same height as underwear around the hips, not around the belly. practice, location and technique are important.

If you like the basic, custom rigs with various weapons, mag and options placement can be ordered.

Figure a quality basic at $19, and custom rigs between $45-$65.

6" wide bands have the best results for most users, but there are options.

I recommend trying on a belly band before buying. (which yes you can do at our store).

The brave response holster has a super thin band and in no way would make you hot. The band in 1.5 inches not 4-6 inches like most belly bands

Old 01-27-2018, 7:43 AM

Quote:
I disagree. As a 'older women' who has had more than her fair share of hot flashes the belly band does nothing to add to my hot flashes. The only time it is too hot is when outdoors all day in 100°+ temps.

― Mark Twain
Old 01-28-2018, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymallory1 View Post
The brave response holster has a super thin band and in no way would make you hot. The band in 1.5 inches not 4-6 inches like most belly bands

For most users the thinner belt is not an advantage, does not stabilize the weight of the gun and mags, and pulls much like a holster on a standard belt. This works for some, the SMART carry works for others. As for load bearing same thought between why a weight lifters belt is not thin. The thin belt doesn't provide support and for some it rolls.

Additionally unless your going to use this rig exclusively in the appendix position, it places the spare mag in a disadvantages position during a fight or reload well kneeling, moving. Simply put hard to speed reload reaching across your self, or if hurt.

Each person has to evaluate how they are going to implement the carry system. Unfortunately for many they really don't know in advance if it will work for them, because they can't try before they buy. Then when they do buy the don't pressure test the rig in drills. They draw a few times standing up, and assess if its comfortable. (Of course this is true for a lot of people and most carry rigs)

Last edited by grantar2; 01-28-2018 at 5:48 PM..
Old 01-28-2018, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
I disagree. As a 'older women' who has had more than her fair share of hot flashes the belly band does nothing to add to my hot flashes. The only time it is too hot is when outdoors all day in 100°+ temps.
We will agree to disagree. I have sold more than 300 belly bands and tested them on dozens more, and have had customers who have purchased from others. I have put belly bands on nurses, old ladies, members of the staff at California women's corrections department, FBI, and California gang task force among many. I am sales person for both the Well Armed Woman and A Girl and A Gun Shooting league as well as several independent girls groups tied to various So. Cal gun ranges. I am only relaying what I have been told by women themselves as we do custom fitting, and consultations. Your mileage may vary.

I love belly bands, they have places they work very well, as long as were talking skirts, or pants/shorts and blouses. They don't work well with dresses. At the same time they are great for medical professionals wearing scrubs. You can even get them in pretty lace, either to look nice or in some cases for vice operators. It's a personal choice like most carry systems.

As with all generalities there are exceptions to the rule, and I advise people to try on if they are considering it. In fact I usually recommend the most people try one on just to experience it. Why not, if you have shop that offers the opportunity with someone that can explains the finer points of how they work its worth doing.

Last edited by grantar2; 01-28-2018 at 5:46 PM..