Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-22-2017, 1:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Default Ruger Poverty Precision rifle first attempt at 1 mile

My son wanted to go out to the desert last weekend and I rarely turn him down when he wants to go shoot.

I figured I would try the 1 mile shot while we were out there. As a novice I am learning as I go along and realizing what I want and what is realistic does not always work out.

I started out Friday after UPS picked up my shipments mounting a new Athlon Argos BTR MIL/MIL 8-34x56 to the 6.5cm Predator. I already had an EGW 20MOA base and swapped out some cheap Vortex rings for Burris XTR rings that has shims for adding cant. I wanted an additional 15MOA so I set the rings up that way. The free Vortex online ballistics app shows 25.13 MILs for 1760 yards. The Athlon only has an advertised 13MILs of travel but I was able to turn almost 16. The reticle has an additional 9 MILs of holdover. After spending half an hour making sure the scope and gun were plumb I tightened everything down.

Alex and I drove out to Ben Avery to zero the gun in. We got there at 5pm and they close at 7. As usual the RSO puts us between 2 guys shooting comped magnum rifles even though we passed several empty tables. I tell the RSO that the big guns hurt my snowflake ears and make it difficult to zero so they laugh and give me a better table.

I have the scope almost bottomed out with 1MIL of down travel left. I fire off at 100 yards and have no idea where the shot went. I aim lower. Still nothing. I move the target back to 25 yards. It is hitting 4MILs high. Frustrated I move the target back to 100 yards and zero it in 4 MILS high on the reticle. After doing the math in my head I realize 4 MILs plus 15 MILs of turret plus 6 MILs of holdover will get me to 1 mile at 25 MILs.

I head out with Alex and my friend the next day and after we paint the 18" gong and set up the camera we head over to the 1 mile spot I GPSd months ago. The rock pile I left is still there and we reconfirmed the distance using a GPS tape measure app on his phone. I get my table and pop up setup. Once we are settled in I try to get a hit.

1 Mile with a $400 rifle and a cartridge that goes transonic at around 1400 yards is not as easy as I hoped. The winds were light at 3-5mpg so I can't blame that. At 900 and 1250 yards this rifle is not at all difficult to shoot. My 11 year old has done it a few times now. 1760 is exponentially more difficult. It took me about 5 attempts before I finally got a hit. After my hit Alex wanted to try. He was not able to make a hit but his shots were all under 3 MOA and most were under 2 MOA. I'll get him on the plate this fall.

The video is just the shot hitting the gong. Very boring. Once it gets nicer out I will do a better video and try for a group but I'm not sure I can get a group under 1MOA. I'd like to get a few pics and video to show how far that gong looks.

The 34x scope shows its negatives since I cannot use all that power due to the loss of the reticle. At 34x it only shows 6 MILs so I had to back it down to 20x so I could see splash. At 3.3 seconds of flight time I can fire a round off and get the scope back on the gong before the round hits.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
Storage for your CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm purchases.

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Old 09-22-2017, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Since I've never shot at that distance, Looks like a heck of a nice shot too me!

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 09-22-2017, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

so cool.
Old 09-22-2017, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Saw your sons picture at Cabela's yesterday.

Keep up the good work Phil.
Old 09-22-2017, 3:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Impressive work Phil. Thanks for sharing this! Very cool to see you grooming Alex into a marksman.
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 09-22-2017, 3:26 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
My son wanted to go out to the desert last weekend and I rarely turn him down when he wants to go shoot.

I figured I would try the 1 mile shot while we were out there. As a novice I am learning as I go along and realizing what I want and what is realistic does not always work out.

I started out Friday after UPS picked up my shipments mounting a new Athlon Argos BTR MIL/MIL 8-34x56 to the 6.5cm Predator. I already had an EGW 20MOA base and swapped out some cheap Vortex rings for Burris XTR rings that has shims for adding cant. I wanted an additional 15MOA so I set the rings up that way. The free Vortex online ballistics app shows 25.13 MILs for 1760 yards. The Athlon only has an advertised 13MILs of travel but I was able to turn almost 16. The reticle has an additional 9 MILs of holdover. After spending half an hour making sure the scope and gun were plumb I tightened everything down.

Alex and I drove out to Ben Avery to zero the gun in. We got there at 5pm and they close at 7. As usual the RSO puts us between 2 guys shooting comped magnum rifles even though we passed several empty tables. I tell the RSO that the big guns hurt my snowflake ears and make it difficult to zero so they laugh and give me a better table.

I have the scope almost bottomed out with 1MIL of down travel left. I fire off at 100 yards and have no idea where the shot went. I aim lower. Still nothing. I move the target back to 25 yards. It is hitting 4MILs high. Frustrated I move the target back to 100 yards and zero it in 4 MILS high on the reticle. After doing the math in my head I realize 4 MILs plus 15 MILs of turret plus 6 MILs of holdover will get me to 1 mile at 25 MILs.

I head out with Alex and my friend the next day and after we paint the 18" gong and set up the camera we head over to the 1 mile spot I GPSd months ago. The rock pile I left is still there and we reconfirmed the distance using a GPS tape measure app on his phone. I get my table and pop up setup. Once we are settled in I try to get a hit.

1 Mile with a $400 rifle and a cartridge that goes transonic at around 1400 yards is not as easy as I hoped. The winds were light at 3-5mpg so I can't blame that. At 900 and 1250 yards this rifle is not at all difficult to shoot. My 11 year old has done it a few times now. 1760 is exponentially more difficult. It took me about 5 attempts before I finally got a hit. After my hit Alex wanted to try. He was not able to make a hit but his shots were all under 3 MOA and most were under 2 MOA. I'll get him on the plate this fall.

The video is just the shot hitting the gong. Very boring. Once it gets nicer out I will do a better video and try for a group but I'm not sure I can get a group under 1MOA. I'd like to get a few pics and video to show how far that gong looks.

The 34x scope shows its negatives since I cannot use all that power due to the loss of the reticle. At 34x it only shows 6 MILs so I had to back it down to 20x so I could see splash. At 3.3 seconds of flight time I can fire a round off and get the scope back on the gong before the round hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVnhX2kxAGE
FTLFY
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 09-22-2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
I started out Friday after UPS picked up my shipments mounting a new Athlon Argos BTR MIL/MIL 8-34x56 to the 6.5cm Predator.

How do you like the Athlon in terms of clarity? Just picked up the Ares 4.5-27x50 and waiting to stretch her out. I do love you were able to hit a mile with it! Congrats!
Old 09-23-2017, 8:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynn View Post
How do you like the Athlon in terms of clarity? Just picked up the Ares 4.5-27x50 and waiting to stretch her out. I do love you were able to hit a mile with it! Congrats!
I do not have much experience with scopes especially past 500 yards so I cannot give a fair opinion. I have only shot out to 1250 yards with a Vortex that maxes out at 10x. I could not tell the difference.

I have used the Argos BTR 6-24 and 8-34 MIL and both scopes start to blur at about 20x and 26x. I do not know how much of that is mirage or glass since I have not used a higher quality scope. I keep pestering my friends to take out their custom guns so hopefully I will be able to compare high end Vortex and S&B this winter.

When I was doing the 1 mile shot I had the 8-34x at about 18x to spot my splash and then at 20-22x once I was more comfortable. The gong was blurry and adjusting parallax did not get it clear. Once I have a day where I can be out for a few hours I will put up a target that tests clarity and work my way back to see how clear the scopes are with different power settings.

My next scope will be the ARES 4.5-27 in MOA.

CA compliance service

Old 09-23-2017, 9:06 AM

Quote:
You're a good dad.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleferd View Post
You're a good dad.
I try. I only have to say no when he has homework or we have to be somewhere important. Otherwise I take him anytime he asks. I even dread taking him to the free fathers day indoor range event but he "gifts" it to me so we go and he shoots. I let the other kids shoot a full auto .22 while the dads video so I go through about 1000 rounds and they pay me with smiles.

CA compliance service