Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-17-2018, 6:31 AM

Just installed works as described I will say that the painted version is a bit snug I would think because of the black paint it's just a smidgen tight to get on but once the pin is in there is no issue it's just the original install of the pin into the pivot pin holes is tight and takes a good shove to get it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0425.JPG (81.2 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0426.JPG (71.7 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0427.JPG (69.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0428.JPG (82.7 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.JPG (73.1 KB, 309 views)
Old 02-17-2018, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzon View Post
Just installed works as described I will say that the painted version is a bit snug I would think because of the black paint it's just a smidgen tight to get on but once the pin is in there is no issue it's just the original install of the pin into the pivot pin holes is tight and takes a good shove to get it in.
Looks good! How do you like the function of it?

https://akthumbgrips.com/ VIDEO REVIEW> https://youtu.be/uwOoGQZtnf4
Old 02-17-2018, 6:49 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
This is one thing that I've noticed for sure with many rifles. If you have a new Daniel Defense the tolerances are super tight. Not that they need break in but they design the pin locations to be slightly offset so that you have to really push down on the upper receiver for the pin to reset and lock back up. If you put wedges or if you have any other receivers that have set screws to minimize the movement of the upper and lower you will have some issues with these types of pins in that you will just really have to push down hard on the upper receiver to reset the pin. Otherwise these are the best systems out there for fast reloads

also for our killswitch we have engineered a lower profile on our push side so that it doesn't interfere as much with the safety. That was a huge no no for us as operating the safety on an AR15 is paramount to anything
Old 02-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comifornia:( View Post
Looks good! How do you like the function of it?
Perfect
Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohyp View Post
This is one thing that I've noticed for sure with many rifles. If you have a new Daniel Defense the tolerances are super tight. Not that they need break in but they design the pin locations to be slightly offset so that you have to really push down on the upper receiver for the pin to reset and lock back up. If you put wedges or if you have any other receivers that have set screws to minimize the movement of the upper and lower you will have some issues with these types of pins in that you will just really have to push down hard on the upper receiver to reset the pin. Otherwise these are the best systems out there for fast reloads

also for our killswitch we have engineered a lower profile on our push side so that it doesn't interfere as much with the safety. That was a huge no no for us as operating the safety on an AR15 is paramount to anything
Yeah I have mostly Midwest industry and spikes lowers and the tolerance is tight however I also tried it on my 80%'s and same thing it's not pushing down on the receiver it's getting it through the pivot pin hole in general if I was to sand it down a bit and I mean just a bit it would be smooth but none the less once it's in it's forgotten as it does not hinder function once it is fully installed
Old 02-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Yeah I have mostly Midwest industry and spikes lowers and the tolerance is tight however I also tried it on my 80%'s and same thing it's not pushing down on the receiver it's getting it through the pivot pin hole in general if I was to sand it down a bit and I mean just a bit it would be smooth but none the less once it's in it's forgotten as it does not hinder function once it is fully installed
I would suggest not sanding anything down. if there is a coating on the JT pin I would just use a buffing wheel on a dremel and try to smooth everything out to a glassy finish. start from there. Light lube and see if it helps.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Did you adjust the mag catch?
Mine was also very tight, but the Allen screw in the mag catch is there to adjust to fit your lower-turn the screw up or down to make sure it’s level with the lower and not above. I had the same issue and this solved it.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. View Post
Did you adjust the mag catch?
Mine was also very tight, but the Allen screw in the mag catch is there to adjust to fit your lower-turn the screw up or down to make sure it’s level with the lower and not above. I had the same issue and this solved it.
It's not with the mag catch it's with the rear pivot pin but I am going to try and polish it like protohyp suggested
Old 02-17-2018, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not with the mag catch it's with the rear pivot pin but I am going to try and polish it like protohyp suggested
Oh I get what you’re saying, but on mine the mag catch adjustment greatly effects pin alignment.

Literally half a turn of the Allen wrench is the difference between pin won’t close and smooth as butter.
Old 02-18-2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. View Post
Oh I get what you’re saying, but on mine the mag catch adjustment greatly effects pin alignment.

Literally half a turn of the Allen wrench is the difference between pin won’t close and smooth as butter.
You are correct on the lock part I was able to fine tune that which even at the right tension will have your upper and lower tight with zero slop

OK so I had one of the best customer service follow ups yesterday from JT and they wanted me to try another hellfire since I bought 3 I had only installed the one.

So I installed the other on a different build and sure enough that one was smooth as silk it seems a few may have gotten away that were a little out of spec.

Also what I found with the second one I installed is that the JT logo is now upright where the other was at 10 oclock

New pictures attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (37.4 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.JPG (74.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.JPG (80.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0443.jpg (36.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0440.JPG (66.0 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 8:16 AM

OK, you guys convinced me to try out the JT device.

I was going to wait for protohyp's system but saw a Calgun vendor selling the JT system for $68.99 with no tax and free shipping.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1424979
Old 02-18-2018, 8:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmataz View Post
OK, you guys convinced me to try out the JT device.

I was going to wait for protohyp's system but saw a Calgun vendor selling the JT system for $68.99 with no tax and free shipping.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1424979
I won't be mad at that. First to sell is the one who wins.

My goal is to provide lower profile to not impede use of the safety. That is first and foremost to me. Ive tested many lengths of my pin to accommodate springs of different sizes. so we are almost there.

Second if you check my torture test video I want to make sure the integrity of the pin itself can withstand abuse. I won't release anything because I want to be the first to market.

While method of operation is the same and because i've had so much time behind the trigger with all the devices i'm offering i'm taking the slow methodical route which will give you ergonomics, durability and low price.
Old 02-18-2018, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll take a bunch proto when they become available!

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-18-2018, 8:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I'll take a bunch proto when they become available!
thanks man. hopefully next month we will be launching.
Old 02-18-2018, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Spread the word on the JT unit at work and several shooting buddies. They immediately ordered it and feed backs received so far is positive. Calculate >150 units purchased. JT must be making some serious cash for now until new designs come out.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:54 AM

Day at the range with a couple different California Compliant items.

BF-10 side loader quick smooth along with Patriot mag lock great for my 18 inch bench gun no snags issues.
I had the mag laying around and this was a good way to put it to some use.

Juggernaut tactical take down pin on 4 different rifles

I will say that there will be no need for me to AW reg any of my rifles as this is by far the smoothest and most ergonomically pleasing device I have used.
500 rounds or so and no issues snags or hick ups I actually think I sold a few as others were eyeballing the set up and asking questions

With a slight snap of the wrist its back in the game

I believe it's far better than the BB set ups as I have 4 and have bought 3 more to install on all my others as again I see no need to reg as AW with this device.

I am not affiliated nor do I get any type of discount for this :-)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Day at the range with a couple different California Compliant items.

BF-10 side loader quick smooth along with Patriot mag lock great for my 18 inch bench gun no snags issues.
I had the mag laying around and this was a good way to put it to some use.

Juggernaut tactical take down pin on 4 different rifles

I will say that there will be no need for me to AW reg any of my rifles as this is by far the smoothest and most ergonomically pleasing device I have used.
500 rounds or so and no issues snags or hick ups I actually think I sold a few as others were eyeballing the set up and asking questions

With a slight snap of the wrist its back in the game

I believe it's far better than the BB set ups as I have 4 and have bought 3 more to install on all my others as again I see no need to reg as AW with this device.

I am not affiliated nor do I get any type of discount for this :-)

Very much my experience as well.
Old 02-22-2018, 6:50 PM

Protohyp, Will you be releasing a kit for the SIG MPX pistol and the Sig 556 pistol?

It looks like the MPX can use a standard AR15 pin but needs a thinner section bolt catch.
the Sig 556 it appears the bolt catch will work from an AR kit but the pin is longer and thicker 1.3" x .311"

Last edited by Rocketrob; 02-23-2018 at 5:06 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

JT is by far the best innovative CA compliant device to ever release to the market. So happy with it!!!! NO sane reason to fill the paper work.
Old 02-23-2018, 3:35 AM

Just put in an order for 2 Can’t wait.. Definitely want to try out Protohyp’s also..

BUT quick question to the fellas that been running this.. Dose the BCG chew up the back of the follower after the last round..?? Think I remember someone saying with the DFM and Modified Bolt catch that the Bolt chews it up.. Can someone confirm..

Last edited by SSOUNN; 02-23-2018 at 4:07 AM..
Old 02-23-2018, 5:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOUNN View Post
Just put in an order for 2 Can’t wait.. Definitely want to try out Protohyp’s also..

BUT quick question to the fellas that been running this.. Dose the BCG chew up the back of the follower after the last round..?? Think I remember someone saying with the DFM and Modified Bolt catch that the Bolt chews it up.. Can someone confirm..
it does but only slightly. you can sand a little off of it so that the bolt will ride a little smoother over it. I've been running mine for over a year with no issues but i've only been running it with magpul mags. you may still get different results but i have about 20 mags that I rotate among and there really isn't anything to report.

This is only an issue if you shave your bolt catch notch or run a maglock system that removes your bolt catch
Old 02-23-2018, 5:13 AM

Quote:
it does but only slightly. you can sand a little off of it so that the bolt will ride a little smoother over it. I've been running mine for over a year with no issues but i've only been running it with magpul mags. you may still get different results but i have about 20 mags that I rotate among and there really isn't anything to report.

This is only an issue if you shave your bolt catch notch or run a maglock system that removes your bolt catch
As long it doesn’t chew it up badly I can live with that.. Reason I went with the Mean Arms and BF-10 loader route.. But I’m also very interested in your Freedom Followers.. don’t know if it was mentioned before or asked.. but would the a Juggernaut and Freedom Followers work.. Compliant wise..
Old 02-23-2018, 5:24 AM

Just ordered one.
Old 02-23-2018, 5:52 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
As long it doesn’t chew it up badly I can live with that.. Reason I went with the Mean Arms and BF-10 loader route.. But I’m also very interested in your Freedom Followers.. don’t know if it was mentioned before or asked.. but would the a Juggernaut and Freedom Followers work.. Compliant wise..
compliant wise all you need is the juggernaut bolt catch replacement. the freedom follower isn't for compliance but just releases the magazine for you. You will need our proprietary mag catch since it uses a tunable spring to adjust the settings for release. Personally I haven't tested the freedom follower with the juggernaut but in theory it should work. The back of our follower is shaved already into the design so there is less damage to the follower if the bolt catch is removed or not there.

For best performance I would just use the juggernaut tactical system. the secret for me and the new AR Maglock arm is to push both of them at the same time and then you'll be super fast provided your bolt catch is shaved.
Old 02-23-2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Obviously it doesn't hold back the bolt after the last round. This is the only downside I see. Kind of a cool setup.
dont forget the doublefeed issue, that should be a major downside, because of this issue this is why my goto AR would be one of my featureless AR's.
Old 02-24-2018, 5:38 AM

One potential issue with the jt might be how much the upper release sticks out. It might snag sometimes. A potential might be to reduce the amount it sticks out.
Old 02-24-2018, 5:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson View Post
One potential issue with the jt might be how much the upper release sticks out. It might snag sometimes. A potential might be to reduce the amount it sticks out.

We are making ours as low profile as possible. That was the first thing I wanted to address because I wanted to maximize access to the safety. Snagging depends on how you sling your rifle when going to secondary but as you can see I turn my rifle outboard so the killswitch is facing away from my body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp
Old 02-24-2018, 6:00 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Juggernaut tactical takedown pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnelcheeze View Post
dont forget the doublefeed issue, that should be a major downside, because of this issue this is why my goto AR would be one of my featureless AR's.

It’s a non issue if the only rifle at hand is a maglocked rifle. I’ve been running my speedswitch for over a year with close to 15000 rounds and only one doublefeed and I run my rifle as if my life depended on it. I'm not a bench shooter. A doublefeed on a maglocked rifle is catastrophic which requires either immediate attention or going to secondary. During that sequence I went to secondary to finish shots on target and then mortared the crap out of my rifle and the doublefeed cleared. Not the ideal situation but it got the job done.

A lot of featureless guys act as if they wouldn’t pick up a maglocked rifle if their life depended on it. If you don’t practice and train with whatever system you use you’re pretty much useless anyway in a self defense scenario

MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

Last edited by protohyp; 02-24-2018 at 6:45 AM..
Old 02-24-2018, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnelcheeze View Post
Yeah. I was wondering about that as well. JT produced a little vid showing how to clear a double-feed. I've watched it a couple of times. He kinda glosses over why the pivot pin is popped out. What sort of relative movement did it allow specifically and how did it allow the magazine release to then function? Does it just allow you more freedom to pry apart the upper and lower just enough to disengage the lock on the mag release?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRmqsyAmNcs

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 02-24-2018 at 7:05 AM..
Old 02-24-2018, 9:39 AM

Does anyone know if you can still use a Magpul Bad Lever with the Juggernaut Hellfighter kit?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPtastic View Post
Does anyone know if you can still use a Magpul Bad Lever with the Juggernaut Hellfighter kit?
Definitely not. It would have nothing to attach to. And since the slide does not lock back, there is no need for such a "release" device.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I've had the JT installed and tested it several ways. It's a clean solution. My favorite non-featureless solution so far. I've enjoyed going featureless with the Sparrow Dynamics and Resurgent grips (nice being able to use my "normal" mags and mag release again), but if I had to choose a magazine locked solution, this would be it.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Definitely not. It would have nothing to attach to. And since the slide does not lock back, there is no need for such a "release" device.
On top of that, you need the included latch replacement to keep the magazine release from operating normally while the upper and lower are intact.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 02-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
On top of that, you need the included latch replacement to keep the magazine release from operating normally while the upper and lower are intact.
I think we're talking about the same thing. It's what I meant by "nothing to attach to", since the BAD lever clamps onto the top "paddle" of the slide release lever, and that JT replacement/lock has no such appendage.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM

What’s the Estimated Delivery time on these..?? Would like to get some Range time this Saturday “might be my first Saturday Off in a LONG TIME
Old 02-27-2018, 2:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
What’s the Estimated Delivery time on these..?? Would like to get some Range time this Saturday “might be my first Saturday Off in a LONG TIME

Juggernaut tactical is available through their website.

Our pin should be a couple weeks

Old 02-27-2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Juggernaut tactical is available through their website.

Our pin should be a couple weeks

I sent them an email this morning, haven’t heard anything back yet.. Overwhelmed with orders I guess
Old 02-27-2018, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, JT is selling like hot cakes. I know for a fact that their distributors are having it shipped directly from JT as their stock is not handling the demand.

Brownell's carry them with the best price I have seen so far.
Old 02-27-2018, 6:55 PM

The hellfighter setup looks relatively painless. Just have to sell all my featureless parts to afford the fixed mag parts. Then what? Does that buy me another year before I am selling my fixed mag parts for bolt action parts? Ugh.
Old 02-27-2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I sent them an email this morning, haven’t heard anything back yet.. Overwhelmed with orders I guess
I ordered mine from Buckeye Tactical on Saturday. It arrived today.