Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-09-2017, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
All right. We all need to stop posting from now on since we are all wrong and Nedro is right.

Mods please rename this subforum Nedro's Survival Forum.
At least you got one thing right.
Old 10-09-2017, 1:33 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

NO BICKERING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 10-09-2017, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

No bickering. Just squashing children's fantasies.
Old 10-10-2017, 4:01 PM

Im the OP! Almighty Lord of this thread!

Keep the jokes coming, I like.

You guys know about the fires, the air sucks here. I was thinking..... if I bike, I'll prolly get suffocated.
I have a nice mask tho, north silicone half mask with P100 and Organic vapors filters.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

KLR650 - although it is a little heavy.

I got one because it has one of the largest fuel tanks available. I think mine holds 7.5 gallons.

I 250cc to 400cc air-cooled four-stroke with a large (5+ gallon) fuel tank would be better as a survival motorcycle. The only bad thing is no bike that size has a large tank. 3 gallons is about as large as you can get for those bikes.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 11-08-2017, 2:06 PM

Get a scooter. Cheap and probably good enough in a situation like that.
Old 11-08-2017, 2:49 PM

First you have to ask yourself would you be comfortable riding in traffic with your son on the back of a motorcycle.

As far a bug-out vehicle a motorcycle has better mobility than a car. You are out in the open and have less of view behind you. A car provides at least a short term barrier.

I drove to Lincoln City Oregon for the eclipse, the total gridlock for hours on Hwy 5 and other roads changed my thoughts on SHTF evacuation. You could move through a peaceful gridlock on a motorcycle but be limited on the amount of stuff you bring. With angry combatants you would be toast.

I realized that if something major happened it would probably be prudent to stand and fight at home unless the property was completely destroyed.
Old 11-13-2017, 6:14 PM

I think a bike is a great SHTF option. But it's an option not perfect in every scenario. Localized disaster and need to get to friends or family's house and avoid traffic, great. Looking at my area, Paradise fires, Oroville dam (didn't actually break) a bike would have worked but I would have had to leave most of my stuff. But it would have been a fast way out avoiding traffic, certainly better than my 2wd car. I also think you gota think of cost. A old XR or KLR will be cheap to own, maintain and insure. But is a bike guna get a family out, nope. Not for everybody.

I guess it's a lot different when I'm talking about avoiding traffic than someone in LA. I mean the whole county here is like 200k people, much less in my town. And there generally aren't snipers picking people off from the hills in the natural disasters I'm talking about.
Old 11-13-2017, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've been riding for nearly 30 years and people are only getting worse on our streets, I can only imagine what it's going to be like when the system breaks down.

Thoughts:

You want a smaller bike like a 250 as they are smaller and more nimble if you have to take the path less taken. Unfortunately with small bikes comes a small tank. 2-3 gallons at best, maybe 100-150 miles when full.

KLX250 (2.0gal)
XT250 (2.4gal)
XR250, XR400 (2.4gal, 2.5gal)

When you get in the bigger bikes like the KLR650, XT650 etc, the tank gets larger but so does fuel consumption.

Then you get to the adventure bikes like the GS1200 and AT1000. These are still range limited to around 150-200 miles on one tank.

Of course mileage is also dependant on weight. The more the weight the lower the fuel economy.
Old 11-13-2017, 8:26 PM

Ktm just busted out there 790 adventure prototype, supposed to hit next year. A twin cylinder lc4 engine, 800 cc, very off road worthy, highway friendly. Can't wait. Been waiting for a worthy adventure bike that was huge like the rest of them. The BMW GS 1200 is stupid big, as is the ktm 1290 adventure.
Old 11-13-2017, 8:52 PM

Get a yamaha tw200.
Old 11-14-2017, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Honestly, if money were no object and you needed something unassuming, stealth-ish and could go the distance (100+ miles on a single charge)

I'd would buy one of these when they go to production:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...36-miles-on-on
Old 11-15-2017, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richochet View Post
The day after the Lomo Prieta earthquake in 1989 there was no electric power in SF. Just darkness. No power for elevators, gas pumps, cooking. Nada.

The power was off for several days. Fortunately my 8 year old son and I were able to ride my motorcycle ...
I remember this. NO cars were driving across the city. ONLY motorcycles were able to......and were. Nobody was shooting them and they were used very successfully to get through the gridlock. Not saying in a bad enough situation you won't be riding a target, but those who claim there will be no advantage and you'll just be a target have read too many zombie books.
Old 11-15-2017, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
}
When you get in the bigger bikes like the KLR650, XT650 etc, the tank gets larger but so does fuel consumption.

A stock KLR650 will get 50 mpg, or it did back 15 years ago when they sold real gasonline. Modified KLR650 bikes will gt between 40 and 48 mpg depending on mods.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 11-17-2017, 1:18 PM

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 9. I have ridden Motocross, Trails, Off road, On road, Dual Sports, Sport Bikes, Standards, Cruisers, etc in all types of weather and terrain. I have an old bike that would run without electronics, a small bike that would maneuver easily and gets great gas mileage, a 2 stoke off Road bike that will go anywhere (I could jump a fallen bridge with a small passenger as long as the gap is 20ft or less), as well as a newer touring bike complete with comms, quiet baffled exhaust, a blackout switch to kill all lights (including brakes), a red LED than could be used for "blackout driving", and I always keep a weapon, first aid kit, and basic supplies on board. Motorcycles are an integral part of my life and have been as long as I can remember.

So is there a scenario where I would use a motorcycle in a SHTF situation, sure. Have I gone a little out of my way to modify my bikes to be more useful in some scenarios, again yes. Can I envision a scenario where a motorcycle would be completely useless, still yes - that's why I also have a truck.

Would I recommend a motorcycle as a prep, not if that's the only reason you are getting it. A motorcycle is only as good as the rider. No matter how good you are at sports or martial arts or whatever - if you do not have years of experience riding I would not recommend getting on a motorcycle in a potentially difficult & life threatening situation. On the other hand if you have an interest in motorcycles, and an interest in prepping, then why not indulge both? Even if the world as we know it does not end, think of all the time you will save by not sitting in rush hour traffic any more?
Old 11-17-2017, 1:46 PM
Cantankerous old coot

My guess is the bike would never be where you needed it when you needed it. Unless you haul it around with you all the time like your BOB and emergency supplies in your car.

Oh, my quals, that seems important... yes, riding since before I was born! Ha! J/K, my mother was deathly afraid of motorcycles and reminded me until the day she died that she should have never let me buy that first one in 1970.

One other thing to think about. If the only time you use something is when you absolutely need to use it, then it will only ever fail when you absolutely need to use it. If you do buy a bike, ride it regularly. As ChuckD says, it will improve your riding skill and confidence the more you ride. Also, the gas won't go stale and keep you from getting where you need to go.
Old 11-17-2017, 3:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
My guess is the bike would never be where you needed it when you needed it. Unless you haul it around with you all the time like your BOB and emergency supplies in your car

[snip]

One other thing to think about. If the only time you use something is when you absolutely need to use it, then it will only ever fail when you absolutely need to use it. If you do buy a bike, ride it regularly. As ChuckD says, it will improve your riding skill and confidence the more you ride. Also, the gas won't go stale and keep you from getting where you need to go.
good points. like owning guns, you have to use it on a consistent basis to keep competent/good at it.

as for dual sports, i'm surprised the honda africa twin wasn't mentioned. while the new design isn't proven like the KLR's, i believe it is still a contender. especially in 2018 with the new sport trim that adds a bigger gas tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-17-2017, 4:09 PM
小さな女性

One of these in diesel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcd1kSdlQY
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 11-19-2017, 2:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Atlanta, and your commute, has people wanting to go in a specific direction to a specific area. SoCal has a bazillion roads in 28 different directions that can get you out of trouble to help, safety, or a store. You can ride on the sidewalk or Up-the-Down-staircase. I don't think SPEED would be the issue....once the first 30 minutes is gone.

I guess some of you guys' idea of SHTF is worse than others....maybe some think we'll have to go to Waterworld and find Dryland . Are you guys thinking nuclear Apocalypse? For me, I'm just speaking for using a motorcycle to get to an unaffected supermarket or hospital in another city, after a big earthquake, or such. I'm not leaving my house, otherwise.

Anyway, tons of scenarios possible. It's ALWAYS nice to have a motorcycle around
Thank god you Californians have nice weather in your shtf scenarios. I would say why would anyone with a brain want a motorcycle in -50 degree weather and black ice everywhere? Makes no sense in dozens and dozens of states not to mention rain and inches of it. The shtf scenarios don’t always happen when everything is 68 degrees out and windy. I have always been prepared for Fairbanks Alaska or Caribou Maine weather when all hell breaks loose. Prepare for the worst so if it happens you’re truly prepared VS California prepared. Big difference. Not here to debate this either. It’s a fact.

Ask anyone from Caribou Maine if they think folks from San Diego California would last longer in any shtf situation with bad weather and all 9100 folks would say San Diego folks wouldn’t last 48 hours. Well maybe in 70-90 degree sunny weather z

No motorcycles in any shtf scenarios. You won’t get far and can’t carry a lot not to mention Mother Nature will always win.

Last edited by Endless; 11-19-2017 at 2:25 AM..
Old 11-19-2017, 6:33 PM

OP is talking about picking his kid up from school.... in traffic. Let's be honest, when the earth jiggles (the most likely scenario by far) everyone is going to be trying to get home or get their kids from school. The streets are going to be a mess. No one is going to be shooting or beaning motorcyclists for their bikes.

I'm in the same boat, the worst case scenario I have is that I'm 20 miles from my kid at work. In an earthquake I can get there almost entirely by trail. From home I'm 7 miles by bike path, almost never touching a street. In both of these situations both routes would relativity unobstructed and untouched by cars. A bike can shoot through green belts, bike paths, hiking trails, drainage ditches, fire road etc...

If I'm home I'm riding my dual sport, if I'm at work I keep an old mountain bike in my shop and I have family that lives walking distance from my office that I'll borrow a bike from.
Old 11-23-2017, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
good points. like owning guns, you have to use it on a consistent basis to keep competent/good at it.

as for dual sports, i'm surprised the honda africa twin wasn't mentioned. while the new design isn't proven like the KLR's, i believe it is still a contender. especially in 2018 with the new sport trim that adds a bigger gas tank.
IMO an Africa Twin is a great bike and would do the job well. But there are very few used and they are 13k new plus bags and such. Callit 15k minimum. KLR 650 can be picked up used for under 3k.

I did look at the Africa Twin and just couldn't justify the price. Ended up with a 650 VStrom, 2012 was under 5k with the adventure package. It's a lot less of a dirt bike but does fine on fire roads and stuff. Another $150 for tools, air compressor, trauma kit and GTG. Sure I'd love to have the AT but I just couldn't justify the price. Everythings a compromise.

Had no problem getting around the washed out road yesterday.

IMG_6599 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

Last edited by Norcalkid; 11-23-2017 at 9:47 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 3:22 PM

+100 on TW200...great camping bike. Dependable, affordable, was ridden to the south pole. Buy one 2001 or newer for the disc brake upgrade..larger tank is available.
Old 12-02-2017, 3:25 PM

DRZ400 > KLR650 > XR400

Send me pics of your: Colt Detective Special, AMT Hardballer, pre-64 Winchester Model 70. I'm looking for them.
Old 12-02-2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionerd View Post
I was stuck in traffic the other day on my way to get my 6yr old son... I thought, what if I was trying to get to him after an earthquake or something?

Then I thought about a motorbike, something cheap and able to get me to him.

What would you get?
Your son would be safer waiting extra time for you than being on a motorcycle. Doesn't take a biker to know that.
Old 12-04-2017, 7:55 PM

The main thing to remember, is that unless a nuke goes off, or something crazy, most people will remain fairly lawful during the first hours or days of a disaster. They assume that help is on the way. It would probably take days or weeks before people start running out of food and water, and start to panic. So having a motorcycle to get around in the city during those first few hours is a great idea. I also think a motorcycle is a great way to add extended range to your standard BOV. If you have a hitch-mounted MC carrier, you can take your motorcycle with you. So if you do run out of gas at some point, the bike can take you an additional 200-300 miles, with an extended range gas tank.
Old 12-05-2017, 4:14 PM

I think people get too hung up on is a bike the best, is a pickup, sailboat, etc. I look at it as just another option. A 4x4 great, A 4X4, sailboat, motorcycle and an RV. That just gives you a few more options. No one option is perfect for all situations. Way I see it if you enjoy any of these may as well put a little thought into how your hobby toy can be used in an emergency if need be. If that never happens great. If it does happen you just have one more option to consider based on that exact situation. I don't think I'd buy and of the above just to park it and wait for a EMP or something.
Old 12-05-2017, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionerd View Post
I was stuck in traffic the other day on my way to get my 6yr old son... I thought, what if I was trying to get to him after an earthquake or something?

Then I thought about a motorbike, something cheap and able to get me to him.

What would you get?
I've been riding for 30 years and I do not take passengers, ever. I've seen too many passengers die. My kids have it drilled into them, never be a passenger!

Two things,

1 - You would need to always be riding the motorcycle in order to have it available to get your son.

2 - Once you get your son, he has to be a passenger, so you always need to have his helmet on the bike with you.

Are you prepared to become a full time motorcycle rider?

My suggestion would be to get a Subaru, which ever model has the greatest ground clearance. You can drive over curbs, take the incline and short cut to the off and on ramps, and get thru obstacles that most other cars would get hung up on. Good gas mileage and comfortable on the freeway. In many ways they are better than a jeep or 4x4 pickup.

Last edited by smittty; 12-05-2017 at 10:02 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 1:25 PM

I have a dual sport that could be used to evacuate if necessary. Although it would have to be an last resort as you'd be a soft target on a motorcycle, especially going through congested areas at slow speeds.

It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 12-25-2017, 6:14 PM

I've been thinking about adding a nice newer dual sport to my stable of bikes. The BMW's seem bulky & expensive, the Suziki VStrom is not "off road" enough, the KLR's are too "off road". I have always liked Triumphs, and have recently been looking at the Triumph Tigers. They have an 800cc or 1200cc model. They are priced under the BMWs but more than the Suzuki or Kawasaki. They are truly a bike that could be ridden long distance on the road, can go cross country, and has decent gas capacity.

Anybody else looked into these and has an opinion on them?

Edit: I am refering to the XC models.
Old 12-25-2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I've been thinking about adding a nice newer dual sport to my stable of bikes. The BMW's seem bulky & expensive, the Suziki VStrom is not "off road" enough, the KLR's are too "off road".

Edit: I am refering to the XC models.
Have you ever ridden a KLR?
They are FAR from "too off road" !
Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Interesting thread. I, like many on this thread have ridden since childhood.
These points from the thread make alot of sense.
250cc dirt bike
scooter
650 enduro
Not sure about electric, in the long term it might be harder to replace its source of energy vs gas which can be siphoned.

mobility is important (lite and nimble vs an Ultra Limited Harley)
gas mileage
flexibility is needed but understanding that load bearing will have limits

There are also motorized bikes to consider and I once owned an FZ900, it was a standard, lite weight, fast, nimble and tall. Crap gas mileage but that could have just been me riding it to extreme speeds.

Remember gas is on the right hand so switch your carry to the left and practice no support, left hand shooting. Practice 2 up riding because the extra weight means longer stops. leave none essentials behind, laptops are non-essential even if your job is IT.
If your not riding it to work then you need to go home to ride it, plan your route and decide what will work best.

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
Have you ever ridden a KLR?
They are FAR from "too off road" !
I have. It does not even come close in off road ability to my KTM 250. What I was saying was that in the dual sport compromise of streetability/off road, it is more on the off road side. I wouldn't want to ride one mostly on the road with occasional off road jaunts to go around blockages for a 500 mile day - I could see doing that on a Triumph Tiger.

Still no opinions on the Tigers?