Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-05-2013, 3:41 PM

Default Benelli Montefeltro or Beretta A300

I have a Mossberg 500 that I used for Trap (very new in this sport). It kicks really hard and fells heavy after a few shots.

I am planning to upgrade either to the Benelli Montefeltro (12 ga) or Beretta A300 (12 ga). I don't know if they are on the same class as the benelli cost $1000 (dicks sporting) vs the A300 for $679 currently at Turners.

This will be used by me and my wife. I am planning also to go dove hunting in the future. Although I am biased already towards the Montefeltro (which I like having the wood trim and light weight at 6 lbs), what do you guys think?
Old 04-05-2013, 4:25 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

the beretta's gas system will have much less recoil than the Benelli.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-05-2013, 4:31 PM

The Monte makes for a great field gun...but the A300 would be better suited for the clays games and may be a bit more versatile on the range and field (as Cuda said, felt recoil will be less: gas system...and a little bit more weight)

- See if you can find a range where you can try them both out. Fitment wise, they both have shims...but the A300 I believe does have spacers for the buttpad which will help with LOP adjustments.

That said, I've used my Monte for trap, skeet, 5-stand and Sporting Clays...it's a bit on the light side for me even with an 8oz Graco forend weight on it. One day I'll take mine afield, but so far it's only seen round targets...

You could just buy both

Last edited by RayPDA; 04-05-2013 at 4:37 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 5:16 PM

Thank you for the replies. Buy bought? LOL. The reason I am considering the A300 is, I can also get the RIA 1911 tactical for $250 more.

decisions, decisions....
Old 04-05-2013, 9:41 PM

Beretta auto all day long!
Old 04-05-2013, 9:51 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

<they are both Beretta products - you can't lose>
Old 04-05-2013, 9:55 PM

I prefer gas shotguns. I also own a Franchi Affinity that I purchased 3 months before my Beretta. Now the Franchi's in the For Sale section and the Beretta is going to be my all around gun. Trap, Skeet, Sporting clays, Turkey, Upland and Waterfowl.

Recoil is a big issue for me as I get really, really bad headaches after shooting for a while. The Franchi is a pound lighter than my Beretta because it uses a recoil based action of the same design as the Benelli M2 where as the A300 is a gas system.

Long story short, the A300 is better suited to me because the combination of the gas action and the little bit of added weight (Don't even notice it while walking in the field with it) helps reduce recoil, especially perceived recoil.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 PM

I'm a Beretta Shotgun fanboy, I absolutely love them. I have never had an issue with one and I tend to let the operating system get extremely filthy.