Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Live Scan Question

Sup fellas.

What does a Live Scan look at?
What things pop up on one and how is it possible to fail one?
I know it is electronic finger prints and stuff but I was just curious as to what records it accesses.

Thanks.

Okay jfifer I fixed it.

I momentarily forgot where I am...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 09-02-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Wow. Good luck man. Suppressors? Pen gun?
Old 09-03-2013, 9:50 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Sup fellas.

What does a Live Scan look at?
What things pop up on one and how is it possible to fail one?
I know it is electronic finger prints and stuff but I was just curious as to what records it accesses.

Thanks.
Okay jfifer I fixed it.
I momentarily forgot where I am...
The live scan is simply a recording of fingerprints.It's the background check that the DOJ does that will reveal you past convictions/records
Old 09-03-2013, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks. I was told today that it was not an FBI background check (not that I am worried) but something else (I forgot what he called it) and it was supposed to go back maybe 10 years to check for bad stuff like mis and fel. I was not sure if that was tied to a credit check and maybe they might want to know how I killed such a large amount of debt in 2012 or something like that. I am under the impression then that because I might have say, a moderate amount of debt that that would not make me fail anything because they are not looking at that. They told me a 1-3 day turn around typically.

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

It really depends upon why you had prints submitted through a live scan as to what it looks at. There is the capability to access all finger print records of an individual that are digitally stored. That includes FBI data base, DOD, and CaDOJ, and others I'm sure. It does not include a credit check, that would be things in a background check. Generally a live scan is checking for criminal history, or used to positively id someone, but a record of the prints has to exist somewhere for it to turn up anything. There are vast numbers of people who have never been printed for anything.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You mean there are different types of live scans? I just thought that it did what you said, checked all possible databases for name and cdl and all of the information I submit on the form and then give back a whole well, like a query ran on a SQL database server, just give back a whole page of info that someone has to parse through. It is only for an internship with a city.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Think of it like a search engine it checks the systems you ask it to check. It is not necessary to check every print database for some of the scans. It won't kick back a dl record that is an entirely different system, not based upon finger prints. Each and every search has a price attached to it, so if you don't need to check the national databases you don't. Not every application requires a full system check.