Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-30-2018, 6:50 PM

Last Saturday I attended a seminar at the FT3 range in Stanton. Among the panel that showed up, was two law enforcement officers. This topic was brought up, and the answer given by one of the officers of 30 years was, Do Not say a word. Hand over your DL, CCW Lic, and insurance. Let the officer ask you the questions. This keeps them in control instead of escalading things.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I HAVE A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy75 View Post
And I ainít going back to jail!!

Ö.even though it's OFF-ROSTER!

Old 05-31-2018, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

San Bernardino does not require it, but suggests it.

I hand it with my license. Before I reach for insurance and registration (as that can be seen as making furtive moves)

I have only had one traffic stop and that was in Texas. He looked it over, asked about insurance and gave me a warning.

In California I have presented it on a few occasions where I was either a witness or filing a report.

On each occasion the Officer was like "Why are you showing me this?"

Having no better answer I just respond "courtesy"

The reaction has always been kind of as someone stated above. Meh.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 05-31-2018, 8:54 PM

It's not that difficult.... Have your permit ready with your drivers license.

Officer after reading: ok, do you have your firearm with you?
You: yes
Officer: where is it?
You: on my hip, it's a shield 9mm.
Officer: ok cool, don't touch it while I'm here, ok?
You: ok cool, no problem.

Bingo bango. Don't over think it.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzeppac View Post
It's not that difficult.... Have your permit ready with your drivers license.

Officer after reading: ok, do you have your firearm with you?
You: yes
Officer: where is it?
You: on my hip, it's a shield 9mm.
Officer: ok cool, don't touch it while I'm here, ok?
You: ok cool, no problem.

Bingo bango. Don't over think it.
Until you get the cop who doesn't know what to do or is on a power trip and you end up with his gun pointed at your face and face down on the pavement in handcuffs...

The few time's I've gotten pulled over, I didn't inform. I'm not required to and it's none of their business. It's not any more relevant than the fact that I have a tire iron and a knife in my truck.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
It's not any more relevant than the fact that I have a tire iron and a knife in my truck.....
....or a comb in my pocket, or a house key, or a handkerchief, or a pen, or what kind of underpants I'm wearing.
Old 06-02-2018, 5:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadchucker View Post
....or a comb in my pocket, or a house key, or a handkerchief, or a pen, or what kind of underpants I'm wearing.
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 06-14-2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I recently got cited for a moving violation in OC. Verbally, I didn't notify the officer of my CCW, but I handed over my permit and CADL, along with registration and insurance. Does that satisfy my necessary requirements to inform LE of my LTC?

Also, where did you guys notify OCSD if this has happened to you? Their site lists a number, and twice it went to voicemail. I opted to send CCW Permits an email so I have some sort of documentation that I notifed them in time.

Thanks in advance.
It says to leave a voice message and briefly describe the situation, then you have five day to submit a report in writing.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
This topic was brought up, and the answer given by one of the officers of 30 years was, Do Not say a word. Hand over your DL, CCW Lic, and insurance. Let the officer ask you the questions.
THIS....many of you are overthinking it.

When asked for id hand over your CDL and permit (and insurance card if you have it out already) and let HIM lead the interaction.

Simple
Old 06-18-2018, 3:02 PM

Weird to see different information being shared on here. Last month I picked up my 2nd renewal (3rd permit) from OCSD. The nice lady who actually handed it over and did the final paperwork told me that OCSD wants to be notified of any traffic violation (within 24 hours if I remember correctly). I told her that's new and wouldn't the violation come up on my background check when I renew. She said they want you to notify first.

On another similar note. I've interacted 3 times with LEO since getting my permit. Each time I told them that OCSD requires me to tell them I have a CCW Permit when I'm carrying.

1. Speeding ticket with Irvine PD (while on my 2nd permit. Did traffic school).
2. Traffic accident (CHP responded. Was not my fault)
3. Irvine DUI checkpoint where I was asked to pull to the side

1. Officer was completely fine with it. Thanked me for telling him.
2. CHP officer was kind of confused. Didn't care to see my permit and said, "Just don't pull the gun out". HAHA.
3. Irvine PD said, "Cool. Any specific reason? Or just because you can?". I replied just because I can. Asked what I carried and I said usually a M&P Shield. He said, "Me too" and waved me through.

Last edited by AnthonyD1978; 06-19-2018 at 8:04 AM..
Old 06-18-2018, 9:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
....if you had your weapon on you when pulled over........the first thing out of your mouth should have been "CCW, I have my weapon on me".
No, it should not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
Last Saturday I attended a seminar at the FT3 range in Stanton. Among the panel that showed up, was two law enforcement officers. This topic was brought up, and the answer given by one of the officers of 30 years was, Do Not say a word. Hand over your DL, CCW Lic, and insurance. Let the officer ask you the questions. This keeps them in control instead of escalading things.
Correct answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post

When asked for id hand over your CDL and permit (and insurance card if you have it out already) and let HIM lead the interaction.

Simple
More like way overthinking it.

Roll down the window and hand him your CWL on top of your DL.
The coast of California
Must be somewhere over here, over here
Greatful Dead
ďHeaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.Ē
Mark Twain
Old 06-19-2018, 7:55 AM

The Orange County Sheriff's Department has directions on how to interact with LE during a traffic stop. It is on their website and is reviewed in person when picking up the permit.

Their requirement is, immediately after greeting the officer, to notify them that you are a CCW permit holder and are currently armed. Keep your hands on the steering wheel when they approach the window, do not remove your hands from the steering wheel, notify them that you are a permit holder and armed, and ask them how to proceed. If you carry in the 4 o' clock position it would be wise to remove your wallet from your back pocket prior to them approaching the window so you won't have to be reaching near your gun to get your license/permit.

Putting myself in the officers shoes, I sure would like to know that the person I am dealing with is lawfully armed. Not sure about other jurisdictions' policies though.

http://www.ocsd.org/about/info/servi..._holders_guide

Last edited by ssick92; 06-19-2018 at 7:58 AM..
Old 06-19-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
The Orange County Sheriff's Department has directions on how to interact with LE during a traffic stop. It is on their website and is reviewed in person when picking up the permit.

Their requirement is, immediately after greeting the officer, to notify them that you are a CCW permit holder and are currently armed. Keep your hands on the steering wheel when they approach the window, do not remove your hands from the steering wheel, notify them that you are a permit holder and armed, and ask them how to proceed. If you carry in the 4 o' clock position it would be wise to remove your wallet from your back pocket prior to them approaching the window so you won't have to be reaching near your gun to get your license/permit.

Putting myself in the officers shoes, I sure would like to know that the person I am dealing with is lawfully armed. Not sure about other jurisdictions' policies though.

I am aware this is on the OCSD website and actually has been there for a while.

When it just came out, I called OCSD and asked them if they really think it's a good idea to tell any police officer the following words:

"I AM ARMED."

I shared my opinion that this was probably not a good idea, and most officers would probably want to be informed in a different way.

I see nothing has been done about it, and the guideline remains the same.

I don't care that it is on the OCSD website... but I will not be informing the officer in that specific way. Based upon what many of us here in the California CCW Forum know about traffic stops, using these words can easily lead to misunderstanding and problems that can be easily avoided simply by word choice.

Last edited by caliberetta; 06-19-2018 at 11:56 AM..
Old 06-19-2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
From the OCSD website:>

The part in bold is in bold on the OCSD website.

For CCW License Holders in Vehicles:
Remain calm
If driving, safely yield, roll down both front windows, turn on interior lights (during hours of darkness), and turn off your vehicle. If your windows are tinted, roll down all windows
Do not exit your vehicle unless specifically told to by the officer(s)
Keep both hands visible on the steering wheel or dashboard and leave your seatbelt on
Once the officer(s) make contact, they will most likely greet you and ask for your identification. Immediately after the greeting, advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed
Let the officer(s) know where your identification and firearm are located and ask how they would like you to proceed
Carefully follow the instructions of the officers

How to advise them that you are armed without causing panic?
The opinions of those more knowledgeable than me will be appreciated!
This is exactly how I have stated on CGN, told friends, family, and other people that have asked how they should go about handling traffic stops. Yet, not many people listen.

I do NOT want you to start reaching for your wallet, vehicle reg, insurance, etc. prior to ma making contact. I can see your body shifting, the car moving, and Iím thinking youíre grabbing something or hiding something.

I recently went through a DUI checkpoint. Asked for my ID. Told them I was off duty Deputy. He asked if I was carrying. I said yes. He said just reach for it slowly. Easy.
Old 06-19-2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post

When it just came out, I called OCSD and asked them if they really think it's a good idea to tell any police officer the following words:

"I AM ARMED."

I shared my opinion that this was probably not a good idea, and most officers would probably want to be informed in a different way.

I don't care that it is on the OCSD website... but I will not be informing the officer in that specific way. Based upon what many of us here in the California CCW Forum know about traffic stops, using these words can easily lead to misunderstanding and problems that can be easily avoided simply by word choice.
I also generally donít recommend saying ďarmedĒ, however, that doesnít draw alarm to me.

I usually just tell people to say that they are a valid CCW permit holder and ask how they would like them to proceed.
Old 06-20-2018, 6:47 AM

Quote:

"I AM ARMED."

I agree that using the words, "I AM ARMED" is not the proper way to word it, as it can come off threatening. Personally, I will probably say something along the lines of, "Hello officer, I would like to notify you that I am a Concealed Weapons Permit holder and I have my firearm with me at my hip in the 1 o' clock position. Please let me know how you would like me to proceed." Seems like that would come off more informative rather than threatening, but I guess each officer is different and would react differently in certain circumstances.
Old 06-20-2018, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Simple

Quote:
"Hello officer, I would like to notify you that I am a Concealed Weapons Permit holder and I have my firearm with me at my hip in the 1 o' clock position. Please let me know how you would like me to proceed."
Why?

Just hand over your CDL and permit. Some cops will hand you back your permit and not even ask about it. Some will give you instructions, some will talk guns with you. But let them handle it.

This way you don't have to worry about it. AT ALL. You won't come off nervous...you won't have to sit there under pressure making sure you say the exact right thing the exact right way.

It's simple. Just hand it over to them and let them do their job.

Hell, I think it makes it SIMPLER for him. Instead of having to process what you're telling him (that you have a gun) make a instant decision on how to proceed (to the person telling him that he has a gun) and THEN having to visually inspect your permit.......he gets to look at what you handed him...and THEN proceed how he chooses too.

Seems simple to me, no need to complicate things.

Last edited by TurboChrisB; 06-20-2018 at 7:52 AM..
Old 06-20-2018, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Why?

Just hand over your CDL and permit. Some cops will hand you back your permit and not even ask about it. Some will give you instructions, some will talk guns with you. But let them handle it.

This way you don't have to worry about it. AT ALL. You won't come off nervous...you won't have to sit there under pressure making sure you say the exact right thing the exact right way.

It's simple. Just hand it over to them and let them do their job.
Mostly just because that is what OCSD instructed me to do. I definitely agree that it would be easier to just give them the permit though rather than fumble through a pre-planned "script" due to nerves.
Old 06-20-2018, 8:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Mostly just because that is what OCSD instructed me to do. I definitely agree that it would be easier to just give them the permit though rather than fumble through a pre-planned "script" due to nerves.
I get it.......I should have added that my brother who was a Riverside Sheriff was the one who told me "just hand them over and let them lead"

I just posted this question over in the LEO forum. Lets see what they say over there. How THEY prefer it....cause that's pretty much all we care about.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Talk is cheap. Just hand it over.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

As the cop walks up to your vehicle yell out I have a gun 9duh0 . Give him the permit along with your license to drive . Hands on wheel ,if night have the interior lights on. Be polite
Old 06-20-2018, 5:06 PM

[/U][/I][/B]
Quote:

"I AM ARMED."

Did you ever think this is what OCSD put out to their agency and other agencies? When the holder is doing something different is the cop thinking Rogue CCW holder that can't follow simple instructions?????

Reality is, the cops are getting acclimated to us and don't even inspect our weapons anymore (my buddy got pulled over for expired tags and he followed the guide, and the cop didn't check his firearm. He showed him the computer receipt and that he was just waiting for DMV to send them. He's fees were paid before the expiration.) Don't take what OCSD advised out of context. Nobody said to just say, "I'm armed." the advisement is:

Once the officer(s) make contact, they will most likely greet you and ask for your identification. Immediately after the greeting, advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed.

So if I'm a cop and I know what's been briefed as to what to expect from the CCW holder, and someone just hands me their license like hey you figure it out. I'm not telling you if I'm armed. I'm thinking the cop is now thrown off by this. He's thinking: Is this not a legit holder and he doesn't know what's been put out to them? By everyone just following the guide, Cops will know what to expect of us and we will know what to expect from them. Pretty simple if you think about both sides.

If you start reaching around before the cop contacts you, I've been told they are now on a higher level of alertness. By keeping your hands on the wheel and waiting for them to advise you what to do and not moving around, is probably the right thing to do for everyone's safety.
Old 06-20-2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibairho View Post
[/U][/I][/B]

Did you ever think this is what OCSD put out to their agency and other agencies? When the holder is doing something different is the cop thinking Rogue CCW holder that can't follow simple instructions?????

Reality is, the cops are getting acclimated to us and don't even inspect our weapons anymore (my buddy got pulled over for expired tags and he followed the guide, and the cop didn't check his firearm. He showed him the computer receipt and that he was just waiting for DMV to send them. He's fees were paid before the expiration.) Don't take what OCSD advised out of context. Nobody said to just say, "I'm armed." the advisement is:

Once the officer(s) make contact, they will most likely greet you and ask for your identification. Immediately after the greeting, advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed.

So if I'm a cop and I know what's been briefed as to what to expect from the CCW holder, and someone just hands me their license like hey you figure it out. I'm not telling you if I'm armed. I'm thinking the cop is now thrown off by this. He's thinking: Is this not a legit holder and he doesn't know what's been put out to them? By everyone just following the guide, Cops will know what to expect of us and we will know what to expect from them. Pretty simple if you think about both sides.

If you start reaching around before the cop contacts you, I've been told they are now on a higher level of alertness. By keeping your hands on the wheel and waiting for them to advise you what to do and not moving around, is probably the right thing to do for everyone's safety.
In a perfect world, all officers would know this and would understand that we are doing as instructed.

However the problem comes when the officer isn't part of OCSD -- maybe CHP or LAPD? They probably have no idea what the OCSD policy is and could be caught off guard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2018, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibairho View Post
[/U][/I][/B]

That seems like some mental gymnastics.

Saying anything like “I am armed” is different, and affects the person hearing it, differently than handing over a LTC. When we trained at the academy I attended (I am not and never have been a cop) we TRAINED to be vigilant during traffic stops, and that if you hear “gun”,”firearm”, “10-32” or any variation that means gun, your day just got interesting.

Knowing this, why do guys feel the need to be original or write their own script is beyond me.

It simply is different, and affects the person differently, if you read that information.

Also, it’s a small card that says license to carry concealed weapon, hardly a “you figure it out” situation. Really?

Ever see a cop get pulled over by another cop? I have. They don’t SAY “I’m a cop”, they show their badge, particularly if they are armed.

I wonder why that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 06-20-2018 at 5:21 PM..
Old 06-20-2018, 5:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
In a perfect world, all officers would know this and would understand that we are doing as instructed.

However the problem comes when the officer isn't part of OCSD -- maybe CHP or LAPD? They probably have no idea what the OCSD policy is and could be caught off guard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Nor are they going to remember, in detail, any supposed briefing on HOW the holder self identifies.

They are told we need to notify them, likely they arenít told anything about how, nor would most note this if they were told.
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 06-20-2018, 6:36 PM
SeŮor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
They are told we need to notify them,
Which in itself is not accurate.
OC residents are told that they need to notify.
People that they stop that are residents of other counties may or may not be under requirement/recommendation to notify. There is no state law requiring it, and the requirement to notify is not universal.

So a conversation with you might be "I am required to inform you that I have a valid CCW....." while a stop for me might be "The County of San Bernardino recommends that I inform you...."

Personally, I agree with simply handing over the permit with my license without saying anything. It is "simply" a traffic stop, and Joe Non-CCW is not going to even think about weapons when he reaches for his wallet, and the cop IS going to be looking for weapons while Joe is reaching for his hip.
Of course, I don't carry my wallet and Shield on the same side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-20-2018, 8:58 PM

Too much drama.

This comes from a 15yr Motor Officer I asked . More of a business contact than a friend.
Hand over your permit ON TOP of your license with your hands on the steering wheel and let him lead.

I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 5-6 years and did it this way each time.
Twice local PD once CHP. 2 speed and 1 cell infraction .

Only 1 citation (speed CHP) . All three were very pleasant . Which weapon do you have on you , where is it, how do you like it, etc etc.

Then they instruct you how and when to get the reg and insurance .

Keep it simple.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Ever see a cop get pulled over by another cop? I have. They donít SAY ďIím a copĒ, they show their badge, particularly if they are armed.

I wonder why that is.
I do that and have done that. If and when Iíve been stopped. I wait for them to ask me for anything. Then I say, ďbefore I reach for it, Iím an off duty Deputy. How do you want proceed?Ē

I have never and will never show my badge. For starters, my badge is sitting next to my gun. If my shirt ever happens to catch on my gun, the first thing anyone may potentially see is my badge and not my gun.

I am also a minimalist and carry two small wallets. One with regular cards, CADL, etc., the other with some other money/a less used bank card, and my dept ID. If I get robbed, they get my main wallet and they are none the wiser that Iím a cop. If I hold my badge in my wallet, thatís a wrap. Plus, I have no need or desire to carry a massive wallet just to be able to carry my badge. My badge goes on my belt. Done. Easy. I also donít want to spend a bunch of money just to get a flat badge or whatever. Iím cheap.
Old 06-21-2018, 6:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
I do that and have done that. If and when Iíve been stopped. I wait for them to ask me for anything. Then I say, ďbefore I reach for it, Iím an off duty Deputy. How do you want proceed?Ē

I have never and will never show my badge. For starters, my badge is sitting next to my gun. If my shirt ever happens to catch on my gun, the first thing anyone may potentially see is my badge and not my gun.

I am also a minimalist and carry two small wallets. One with regular cards, CADL, etc., the other with some other money/a less used bank card, and my dept ID. If I get robbed, they get my main wallet and they are none the wiser that Iím a cop. If I hold my badge in my wallet, thatís a wrap. Plus, I have no need or desire to carry a massive wallet just to be able to carry my badge. My badge goes on my belt. Done. Easy. I also donít want to spend a bunch of money just to get a flat badge or whatever. Iím cheap.
I guess that is a distinction. The cops I know have wallet badges, and show those. I wasnít suggesting a Hollywood sweep of the overcoat to show a belt badge right in front of the weapon.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 06-21-2018, 8:10 AM

Quote:

I carry a few credit cards in a trayvax wallet with very little cash and keep my badge separate in a flat badge holder along with my drivers license. If I get robbed Iím tossing my credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 9:32 AM

Quote:
I guess that is a distinction. The cops I know have wallet badges, and show those. I wasnít suggesting a Hollywood sweep of the overcoat to show a belt badge right in front of the weapon.
Personally, I find that to be a bit pretentious. If I get pulled over, thereís a reason for it and I have zero problems being cited for whatever infraction I committed. I donít expect a pass just because Iím a cop. Like many will say and I agree, I am not above the law. If I broke it and another officer had enough reason to pull me over to cite me. Cite away.
Old 06-21-2018, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover60 View Post
I carry a few credit cards in a trayvax wallet with very little cash and keep my badge separate in a flat badge holder along with my drivers license. If I get robbed Iím tossing my credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-21-2018, 9:36 AM

I agree with do what makes you most comfortable. Don't do or say something that is going to make you look like you're nervous. Most cops are cool, and it won't make any difference how we let them know we are armed. Letting them know before they find out for themselves is the key.

I asked a friend, who is a 20 year veteran of Law Enforcement, what does he do when he gets pulled over. He said, "it's been about 12 years since I've been pulled over, but I think I said something like, I'm off duty station ---- and I'm armed." He told me it was a courtesy to let the officer know. The officer normally will ask them for their department ID as proof. I had to ask the reason for being pulled over and it was Tinted Windows. My buddy passed this on to me. Remove your tint if you have any because you give cops probable cause (PC) to pull you over anytime they want. Good advice.

Last edited by Mibairho; 06-21-2018 at 9:36 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Personally, I find that to be a bit pretentious. If I get pulled over, thereís a reason for it and I have zero problems being cited for whatever infraction I committed. I donít expect a pass just because Iím a cop. Like many will say and I agree, I am not above the law. If I broke it and another officer had enough reason to pull me over to cite me. Cite away.
I disagree. They are supposed to notify the officer they are armed. They are doing so. Why are you armed/do you have a permit is the first question if you just tell them youíre armed, and youíre going to tell them youíre an LOE, RIGHT?

How is it different?

I said nothing about anyone expecting a pass, and CHP doesnít give passes, anyway.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 06-21-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I disagree. They are supposed to notify the officer they are armed. They are doing so. Why are you armed/do you have a permit is the first question if you just tell them you’re armed, and you’re going to tell them you’re an LOE, RIGHT?

How is it different?

I said nothing about anyone expecting a pass, and CHP doesn’t give passes, anyway.
It appears you’re confusing two different things.

I’m LEO and I don’t show my badge. Again, I find that to be pretentious in the situation where you stated an officer shows their badge when they’re pulled over. That’s not informing an officer anything. You’re showing me your badge for what? An officer showing me a badge tells me they’re possibly an officer. That’s it. I still don’t want them reaching for anything until I tell them to do so.

For CCW permt holders, I never once said to tell an officer that’s conducting a vehicle stop to say “I’m armed”. I said to do nothing. Put the car in park, roll down the windows/turn on done lights, hands on steering wheel, and wait. When asked for info, say, “before I do that, I must inform you that I’m a valid CCW permit holder. How would you like to proceed?”

Done.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It appears you’re confusing two different things.

I’m LEO and I don’t show my badge. Again, I find that to be pretentious in the situation where you stated an officer shows their badge when they’re pulled over. That’s not informing an officer anything. You’re showing me your badge for what? An officer showing me a badge tells me they’re possibly an officer. That’s it. I still don’t want them reaching for anything until I tell them to do so.

For CCW permt holders, I never once said to tell an officer that’s conducting a vehicle stop to say “I’m armed”. I said to do nothing. Put the car in park, roll down the windows/turn on done lights, hands on steering wheel, and wait. When asked for info, say, “before I do that, I must inform you that I’m a valid CCW permit holder. How would you like to proceed?”

Done.
And I said to hand over your permit and your license. Done.

Edit, I’m not confusing anything, but you might be.

I am advocating the merits of non verbal notification. You are flip flopping around and bringing up non existantant “professional courtesy” issues.

My belief is a non verbal notification accomplishes everything necessary without speaking to the reptile brain of the officer.

No confusion.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 06-21-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Nope. No flip flopping here.

This clearly is going no where so I’ll just leave it alone.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nope. No flip flopping here.

This clearly is going no where so Iíll just leave it alone.
We can agree to disagree.

You feel verbal is fine, and youíre a cop (I think, not making assumptions), so that carries weight. I donít think itís ďwrongĒ

I am not a cop, but did have POST academy training. I do think I want to avoid anyone on a traffic stop hearing anything like ďgunĒ or armed.

Neither is the best or worst idea.

Stay safe.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXX