Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-01-2011, 5:22 PM

Default A Candidate in progress, has a question for LEO's.

I have 10 firearms; of course they are legal. My backrounds date is coming up and Im kinda nervous about my backround investigating officer to think that im a psycho or something that I have 10 firearms. 7 of them are World War 2 rifles though. Do backround officers despise Firearms Collectors? Thank you, God Bless.
Old 02-01-2011, 5:41 PM

When I applied I owned around 20 plus guns...I think 15 were handguns. Be honest and explain your interest from a historical (or competitive, hunting, etc.) Standpoint and you'll be just fine.
Old 02-01-2011, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

He will want all serial numbers to make sure you don't have anything your not suppose to have.
Old 02-01-2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrist View Post
He will want all serial numbers to make sure you don't have anything your not suppose to have.
Mine didn't, and I'd have been a little ticked off if they did. It's none of their business...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberberian View Post
I have 10 firearms; of course they are legal. My backrounds date is coming up and Im kinda nervous about my backround investigating officer to think that im a psycho or something that I have 10 firearms. 7 of them are World War 2 rifles though. Do backround officers despise Firearms Collectors? Thank you, God Bless.
7 WWII rifles? I am so jealous!

When I was going through the process I probably had about that many firearms, and my background investigator didnít care in the slightest. I am not even sure it came up.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
Mine didn't, and I'd have been a little ticked off if they did. It's none of their business...
Ditto that
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Well, I am applying for the sweet city of Los Angeles; However, I am required to provide the Investigators the information. I did list all the information on the firearms. I have more question, On my German Kar98K and my Japanese Arisaka; There is no importer serial number like you would see on Big 5 mosin nagants (Century Arms International's Mosins) . Would it be ok to put the numbers that are already stamped on reciever of the gun? I want to say they're brought backs, but im not sure.
Old 02-02-2011, 6:42 AM

The POST Peace Officer Personal History Statement doesn't contain a request for information regarding a candiate's firearms ownership. However, many LE agencies require Peace Officer candiates to fill out an additional, second mini-background packet that is agency-specific. In this questionnaire, the Agency will require the Peace Officer applicant to list ALL firearms owned (including serial numbers).

Our BIs (background investigators) then ran the serial numbers thru the CA DOJ Automated Firearms System to check for stolen firearms. The BIs will also run YOU thru several federal, state and local databases to double check how many firearms are actually registered to you.

I worked in backgrounds for a while and never saw a Peace Officer applicant DQ'd for owning too many weapons. However, I did discover that even after transferring/selling a firearm, the DOJ AFS system would still have the original transferor (is that a word?) listed as the registered owner.

If the applicant listed any weapons, I would encourage the applicant to do this:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/...ateCitizen.pdf

If the DOJ AFS list had any discrepancies, then I encouraged the applicant to fill out one of these for each weapon:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

I have more than you and only 1 department made a big deal of it and asked and I told them that I collect guns. Other than that, nobody else asked and nobody cared.
Old 02-02-2011, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
None of their business? I thought my whole life was spread eagle for them to look at during background lol.
Old 02-02-2011, 7:55 AM
Banned

They just ask and list what make and model that is it.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM

When I went through backgrounds (many moons ago) I had more than 50 guns. I was honest, and it was no problem.
Old 02-02-2011, 1:50 PM

Well yeah, Honesty is not the issue here I got to Thank you all for tips and advise and the stress releave lol. Thank you for the Links Sequitur!
Old 02-02-2011, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Our BIs (background investigators) then ran the serial numbers thru the CA DOJ Automated Firearms System to check for stolen firearms. The BIs will also run YOU thru several federal, state and local databases to double check how many firearms are actually registered to you.
Cal DOJ AFS only has handguns as "registered" weapons and registered "assault weapons" in the data base. They do not have long guns in their data base, unless a person voluntarily registered those long guns with the Cal DOJ on form FD 4542A ("Firearm Ownership Record"). 99% of gun owners never have volunteered to register their long guns and I personally don't want the government to know more than they already know about me.

As far as a K98 or any other WWII long gun (not counting machine guns and/or AW's, etc...) the LE agency the OP is applying for will never know unless the LE applicant discloses that info to the department he's applying with. Personally, I'd only list the registered handguns I have and that's it. It's not a big deal, seeing how anybody that has purchased a handgun in Cali (legitimately) is already in the AFS system with those handguns.

ďPay attention. Iím educating you and Iím using small words.Ē -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 02-02-2011, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

Dang! I JUST turned in my CCW paperwork today, and I've bought 5 just in the last 12-15 months !! a blk shotgun, blk.223 and 3 handguns, It never occurred to me that it would be an issue.??
Old 02-02-2011, 9:17 PM

when i did my background check with LA, the investigator didn't have a problem with the amount of firearms I owned, it was the Psychologist that did. Explain to him or her that you are a collector, and they are for historical purposes, etc etc.
Old 02-02-2011, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah. The psyche is another waste of time and money. The process is tedious and meant to wear you down so they can weed out the weak and see who survives the ordeal. That is, unless they want you or you are connected, then they can start overlooking things or letting you retake the poly or psyche.

Seeing the inner workings sometimes makes you wish you didn't know how it works.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Personally, I'd only list the registered handguns I have and that's it. It's not a big deal, seeing how anybody that has purchased a handgun in Cali (legitimately) is already in the AFS system with those handguns.
So you'd counsel a candidate to deliberately withhold requested information from their background investigator?

Just want to be clear because that is how it reads.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM

I'd me more concerned if you had 10 cats.