Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Default San Jose area Hunting Club

Hello,

I am new to rifles and have never hunted before and I am looking to join some sort of club/group of local hunters in my area.

Are there any hunting clubs that anyone would recommend in the San Jose area?

Thank you,
Rocky
Old 09-19-2019, 7:02 PM

I am a novice hunter and average shooter who wouldn't mind a group to go hunt with who has experience
Old 09-20-2019, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in the same boat, if anyone wants to get together and do a guided hog hunt in the Paso Robles area I'm interested.
Old 09-20-2019, 9:25 PM

how about we just get together and start our own group? we go scouting out public land and learn to be some of the successful ones.

Personally, I was going to join the wilderness (something) group. I was very excited, but they took forever to contact me. They finally contacted me a few days after I joined an out of state club, lol! My out of state club is $400... This group in CA wanted $3k. After I added up, I can hunt out of state with all expenses and still be waaaay less.

I am just grinding out the public land. I am learning the areas and hopefully tomorrow is the day. Monday I had a lot of activity, but I was the only one out there... Tomorrow, there will be a lot of people. I hope the deer come my way

Seriously, I would like to go out with a few people and we make it happen. I have been talking to my wife about getting some land to hunt on.. I am thinking getting land for a club... That's down the line, unless it is out of state. A lot of opportunity to get land.

My fishing and Outdoors channel on YouTube http://YouTube.com/JaimeAstin
Old 09-21-2019, 12:30 PM

Default I'm in!

I'm also in San Jose and definitely interested in meeting up and planning some hunting trips (guided or not). Currently primarily hunting waterfowl and upland game but interested into venturing into mammals. Anybody know of a good area to explore?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No one will give up their spots, You can use search for some areas like Clear Creek management area or Condon Peak. Some areas around San Luis Reservoir. Garcias hunting club near Sacto.
Old 09-22-2019, 7:46 AM

You already own millions of acres. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers has lots of Bay Area members. Join the CA chapter Facebook group and go to a pint night. Everyone is super friendly and open about hunting.

If youíre into the private land/club/lease thing youíre likely looking at spending lots of money in CA

Last edited by CABilly; 09-22-2019 at 7:51 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 9:56 AM

I have a spot where I have been scouting at least two bucks here. Their bed is need where the does are bedding. A zone, last day in Knoxville... I did not go this morning z but will this evening. Someone wants to meet, let me know. We can hunt two spots to make sure we get them coming or going. 3 people and one of us should get one!

Old 09-22-2019, 9:45 PM

I am going to be scouting D3 and D5 spots this coming week. If anyone is interested in a day or overnight trip next week tuesday through thursday I am available and willing. First season hunting but it will be my only CA hunting season. I am looking for deer right now but will also keep an eye for any pigs or birds.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 PM

You’re much more likely to see a bear than a pig out there. And I believe 3-5 opened Saturday so you might as well hunt.

I was lied to and didn’t verify myself. Don’t hunt til Saturday . But do get a bear tag

Last edited by CABilly; 09-23-2019 at 9:05 AM..
Old 09-23-2019, 5:09 AM

D3-5 opens on the 28th.
Old 09-23-2019, 1:34 PM

Let me see what I can do. I have a couple out of state trips coming up and using a lot of my vacation or it. About 3 weeks. But I am interested in scouting and all next week.

Old 09-23-2019, 9:05 PM

im doing a two day trip checking out Spenvile WA, oroville WA, North Table mountain and Buck lake where I will be camping out. Then checking out gray lodge, packer lake, and Sac river refuges to the sutter byoass and some areas south of olivehurst. many of these areas are more mid to late season but i would rather check it out and get a lay of the land before wasting valuable season days
Old 09-24-2019, 7:36 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsanjose View Post
im doing a two day trip checking out Spenvile WA, oroville WA, North Table mountain and Buck lake where I will be camping out. Then checking out gray lodge, packer lake, and Sac river refuges to the sutter byoass and some areas south of olivehurst. many of these areas are more mid to late season but i would rather check it out and get a lay of the land before wasting valuable season days
Just curious what animals are you looking at hunting at each of these. Maybe we can save you some time with suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:51 AM

Iím just a little bit north of San Jose up in the Bay Area and Iíd be up for group scouting/hunting trips especially for small game and upland bird. Feel free to DM me and we can organize some details.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Iím hunting D3-5 and my buddy dropped out for this weekend so it looks like a solo hunt. I have a few areas scouted already. Saw a big cinnamon bear last year. This year I remembered my tag.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:59 AM

The bears in D3-5 are in abundance this year. Seen a few bruisers on my Cameras this off season.

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 09-25-2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Just curious what animals are you looking at hunting at each of these. Maybe we can save you some time with suggestions.
I was looking for deer, turkey, bear, and I heard rumors of Pig in spenceville. I had a very close run in with a good sized solo male black bear. I was maybe 40 to 50 feet away on a forest service road so it would have had no issue getting through brush to get to me but I was able to scare it off after it turned its head and looked at me. Its not rifle season for bear yet plus i do not have a tag but that will change shortly. Didnt see any deer but I have the location I encountered the bear, might be willing to go back and take a look, I was only 300 feet from my SUV when it happened. If only I had a Bow!
Old 09-25-2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro22 View Post
The bears in D3-5 are in abundance this year. Seen a few bruisers on my Cameras this off season.
See my above post for a persona encounter yesterday
Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM

It seems that my notifications were turned off, I thought i had no responses to this post.

Thank you all for chiming in, I am not the most outgoing guy, but I am interested in joining up. I am going to try to make it to the Backcountry event that is scheduled for this evening, so maybe I can meet a few people there.
Old 09-27-2019, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdog View Post
It seems that my notifications were turned off, I thought i had no responses to this post.

Thank you all for chiming in, I am not the most outgoing guy, but I am interested in joining up. I am going to try to make it to the Backcountry event that is scheduled for this evening, so maybe I can meet a few people there.
Did you make it to the meeting? If so, how did it go?
Old 09-27-2019, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr/328 View Post
Did you make it to the meeting? If so, how did it go?
I didn't make it, I ran out of time. It didn't help that I learned about only a few hours before the event. But I am really going to try to get ti the next one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdog View Post
I didn't make it, I ran out of time. It didn't help that I learned about only a few hours before the event. But I am really going to try to get ti the next one.

Follow them on Instagram. The event wasnít widely publicized beforehand (or if it was I missed it too). But the pint nights are great.

Also, join. Itís $25 and they do amazing work
Old 09-27-2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABilly View Post
Follow them on Instagram. The event wasnít widely publicized beforehand (or if it was I missed it too). But the pint nights are great.

Also, join. Itís $25 and they do amazing work
Yeah, I signed up before I RSVP'D for the event. But I will follow them on Instagram for sure.