Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-20-2019, 4:21 PM

Default Recommendations on Snake Gaiters

OK, I've already had a couple of close calls, and I'm thinking about getting some snek protekshun before quail season starts. I also might be hunting a buddy's ranch in Baja and apparently its loaded with rattlers.

I've been looking at the Turtleskins brand - they are definitely the most expensive I've found, but I'm curious if people have recommendations on Snake Gaiters that they've tried and liked in warm weather.

thanks
Old 09-20-2019, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Interested. I bought a pair of them from cabelas and wear them when hunting dove. Don't remember the brand. I've never seen a rattler there, but I know they can be there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 09-20-2019, 5:32 PM

I damned near stepped on a girthy 5-footer last week and he never rattled. Got me thinking about my mortality and whether I could hump 2 hours back to the Jeep after being bit then drive an hour to the hospital...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 5:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
I damned near stepped on a girthy 5-footer last week and he never rattled. Got me thinking about my mortality and whether I could hump 2 hours back to the Jeep after being bit then drive an hour to the hospital...

Gaiters and inreach are two useful tools. One to prevent, and one just in case.

Old 09-20-2019, 7:06 PM

I bought the boots. Only thing I don't like, Is you have to wear long socks or the tops will rub really bad. Other then that, no problems.
Old 09-20-2019, 7:42 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

In the event you get bit by a rattlesnake, and the bite is a high volume venom dump ... you will NOT make the 2 hour hump back to the jeep, let alone (if you do make it) drive an hour to the Hospital. IF you are bit by a rattlesnake that carries a neurotixin venom, there are two (2) in California Mojave and the Idyllwild Southern Pacific ... you will be incoherent, even incapacitated in a matter of minutes!

ANY rattlesnake bite of any proportion and you will need to be air lifted from remote location. And I know cell service is not always available out there. Better to have a hunting buddy that can hump it to the vehicle, or nearest cell service and call in a copter to get you out of there! Plus, they will have trained medical techs that will start treatment (best they can) once they reach you.

NOTE: Carry a GPS so you can give Emergency your coordinates! - Two and a half miles up Sublime Road at the turnout where the BIG rock is, then up the ravine 500 yards, past the next hill will NOT do for your location

NOTE: There isn't anything you or anyone can do to treat you. DO NOT use a tourniquet, do not cut the bite and suck the blood (that's a myth), do not ice the bite, don't use a snake bite kit (they are useless!), don't allow your hunting buddy to carry you out ... causes wasted time and may elevate your blood pressure ...,

Additionally, I know it will NOT be easy buy this you MUST DO ---► Remain calm. DO NOT get your blood pressure up by running [to the jeep] ... have to simply remain very-very calm. And if you can, keep the limb where you are bit below the heart, in other words DO NOT elevate the bite!

All you can do, and what you MUST do is get to a Hospital ASAP ...!!!

Rattlesnake bite is nothing to mess with ... it's life, death ... or loss of limb!

Protect your legs when you hunt - WATCH your step ... learn what, where and why rattlesnakes bask in the sun. Learn to spot ideal basking spots for rattlesnakes. LOOK for them as much as you look for and hunt game.

The video below is a fellow what got bit by an Idyllwild Southern Pacific ... see how he is incapacitated?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UQOP23NDmQ
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 09-20-2019, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I got the turtle skin gaiters but haven’t found a comfortable boot that will work to prevent the bite so I’m rolling the dice. The gaiters work great for yucca though.
Old 09-20-2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconJohn
don't allow your hunting buddy to carry you out

while I respect your admiration of the rattler and use of hyperbole do you have any other recommendations? If I'm bit I'm glad that was the day I was out with a buddy...

I'm actually from close woods to Zircon here and never use "gaiters" my wife wears snake boots when out deep. I know a guy that works vineyards in Mendo/Lake rattler country and he uses soccer shin guards under long pants...hope that helps

ETA: watch where you step and pistol with snake shot is a good friend

Last edited by tmuller; 09-20-2019 at 9:26 PM..
Old 09-20-2019, 9:41 PM

ZirconJohn I think I you should be writing copy for CNN or MSNBC the way you can throw fear around!

I’m solo about 75% of the time. I also carry an InReach, but I’ve never actually talked to someone that’s pushed the red button so I don’t know how long it takes for a response.

I grew up in snake country and was always good at avoiding them while hiking but now I’m a lot more cautious; thus the thought about gaiters. I always wear 10” heavy leather boots even when it’s hot out (I guess I’m old school) so I’m assuming gaiters will be sufficient.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been using Crackshot's for years- https://www.amazon.com/Crackshot-Sna...11990824&psc=1

I was with one of my hunting buddies one time when he got nailed by a Mojave green with a pair of these on and they did their job. I know they work well but they're a little rigid which can be annoying sometimes.

Recently I picked up a pair of Foreverlast- https://www.amazon.com/Foreverlast-I...PW184SHQR6CJZP

Picked up a pair because of these because they have a lot of good reviews and they're more flexible but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Last edited by Paseclipse; 09-20-2019 at 11:21 PM..
Old 09-21-2019, 3:35 AM
CGSSA Associate

Turtle skin are the best, flexible and durable mine are 13yrs old and still going strong.
Old 09-21-2019, 4:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ZirconJohn I think I you should be writing copy for CNN or MSNBC the way you can throw fear around!

I’m solo about 75% of the time. I also carry an InReach, but I’ve never actually talked to someone that’s pushed the red button so I don’t know how long it takes for a response.

I grew up in snake country and was always good at avoiding them while hiking but now I’m a lot more cautious; thus the thought about gaiters. I always wear 10” heavy leather boots even when it’s hot out (I guess I’m old school) so I’m assuming gaiters will be sufficient.

There are several stories about people who have pushed the button. My understanding is response time is pretty quick though satellite texting is slower than phone texting. Time to get someone to you will be quicker than without inreach, but could still take some time.

Still beats waiting for someone to hump it out or for being stuck by yourself.

Old 09-21-2019, 6:08 AM

I bought the Crackshots, been happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Crackshot-Sna...a_aw_oh_bia_dp
Old 09-21-2019, 10:29 AM

I bought a pair from Cabelas about 5 years ago and I like them just fine. A little warm in the early season but hunting all day is no problem. Cabelas #81-2205 Gore-Tex 17.5" tall and weigh 2.3lb each.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Foreverlast Snake Guard Shields https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VKGK3LC..._tjOHDbHJWJG94

I use these. Purchased them at the beggining of season. No issues. Probably get something that goes up higher one day but for now, these are working out

My fishing and Outdoors channel on YouTube http://YouTube.com/JaimeAstin
Old 09-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I got the turtle skin gaiters but haven’t found a comfortable boot that will work to prevent the bite so I’m rolling the dice. The gaiters work great for yucca though.
Just curious what it is that makes them not work with your boots? Or do you usually hunt in flip-flops? ;-)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post
while I respect your admiration of the rattler and use of hyperbole...
Ahhh c’mon man ... call me hyperbole, hurts my feelings

I’d be honored if you just call me ‘Cliff Claven of Rattlesnakes’

And as for rattlesnakes up in our neck of the woods ... they’re like cold blooded puppy dogs - can darn near pick ‘em up and them and give'em names.

These NorPacs up here are no threat compared to the southern and desert cantankerous ones. There are a few notorious ones, you know.

Anyway ... Cliff Claven if you will please
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

Last edited by ZirconJohn; 09-21-2019 at 9:44 PM..
Old 09-21-2019, 6:08 PM

You got it Cliff Claven of Rattlers!!

I do agree with you 100%...went to Arizona State those desert snakes are nasty. I still think 6-8" leather boots are sufficient if you know you're in snake country and are watching your step.

That said try different setups, you need to be confident in the field. If that's in the back of your head and gaiters eliminate that concern, get them for sure. It was never serious enough for me in Phoenix or San Diego, but that's where I grew up so I was comfortable.
Old 09-21-2019, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just curious what it is that makes them not work with your boots? Or do you usually hunt in flip-flops? ;-)
I hunt in hot weather and don’t wear solid leather boots. The mesh vents in the lightweight boots is not in any way snake resistant.
Old 09-22-2019, 6:23 AM

Curious, does any body have any information or data that's shows where the majority of snakes bits occur on the human body? I would be willing to bet it is on the arms.

I know my biggest fear is getting distracted during the excitement of the hunt reaching under a bush to retrieve a downed quail, and getting bit on arms.

Also, on bits to the legs, how far up in inches, do bits normally occur. Are the various "gators" tall enough to prevent most leg bits, or is it a case of better than nothing?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:51 AM
CGSSA Associate

If you buy the turtleskin through a landscape supply they are cheaper.
Old 09-22-2019, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwr View Post
Curious, does any body have any information or data that's shows where the majority of snakes bits occur on the human body? I would be willing to bet it is on the arms.

I know my biggest fear is getting distracted during the excitement of the hunt reaching under a bush to retrieve a downed quail, and getting bit on arms.

Also, on bits to the legs, how far up in inches, do bits normally occur. Are the various "gators" tall enough to prevent most leg bits, or is it a case of better than nothing?
I’ve heard most bites on hands by guys reaching for birds. Also curious about where on the leg. My worry is the mesh vents on my boots vent the most heat and also likely a strike target.
Old 09-22-2019, 9:44 PM

I was on a construction site in the vineyard area of east Temecula a few years ago and one of those red rattlers dam near slid across my toes. I was in the weeds and it didn't rattle. It was over five feet long and as big around as a baseball bat. Luckily I had some well made Redwing boots on.
Old 09-22-2019, 9:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I wear 9-10 inch leather boots. I don't feel overly exposed. Though they can, there's not much cause for a snake to strike your calf above a 10" boot.

Most bites are on the hands. Reaching down or above. Moving rocks, logs or scaling an outcrop.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Tagged for info. Ran into 4 buzz worms on the morning of dove opener.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Been running 2 years on crack shot gaiters. No complaints. when you hunt /scout solo in the boonies take no chances.