Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-09-2016, 8:29 AM

Cool My AR308 "featureless" build, how did I do?

I had planned to do an AR10/308 build next year or buy a complete 308 semi-auto rifle (SCAR, PTR 91, etc), but considering the passage of some laws you may have heard of during the Summer, I decided to go all in and just do a ground up build.

So I did an Alex Pro Firearms (APF Armory) build. Which is fortunate because I just realized they said they are no longer shipping to California as of last week.

My build list:

- APF Stripped Lower: $220
- DPMS LPK: $60 (Black Friday Special)
- Geissele G2S trigger: $115 (Black Friday Special)
- Magpul MOE Fixed Stock: $22 (Black Friday Special)
- Stoner Buffer Assembly: $50
- Alex Pro-Fab Complete Upper w/ 20 inch barrel: $500
- Vortex Strike Eagle + Burris PEPR combo: $285 (Black Friday Special)
- PWS FSC Muzzle Brake (BATF Classified as non-flash supressing device): $95
- Kydex A2 Wrap: $30

Total build cost: $1377

How did I do?

Last edited by .45 ACP; 12-20-2016 at 9:20 AM..
Old 12-09-2016, 9:01 AM

not good enough with the flash hider to keep you out of trouble.
(at stupid laws)

BTW I am not sure anything can keep you out of trouble!!
I dig your stories though! Keep um coming!
Old 12-09-2016, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
not good enough with the flash hider to keep you out of trouble.
(at stupid laws)

BTW I am not sure anything can keep you out of trouble!!
I dig your stories though! Keep um coming!
Yeah I did take off the bird cage, but got excited when I mounted the scope and forgot to take a pic with the comp.

haha, the stories are just part of my life. I find it funny that people in off-topic think I'm making it all up. Part of the fun for me.
Old 12-09-2016, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks good. I did one similar but it was a 556 with MIAD+Backfin. I put a Thordson + AR10 spacer on a 16" Gen1 PA-10, but it is a basic build with the good old Delta ring - one of those special $360 complete uppers they offered a few years back.

I have a gen2 PA-10 complete lower coming in today that will be done like yours with the fixed carbine stock and MIAD+Exile Backfin, Lantac Brake and Lantac CMC trigger. Wating for that $999 18" complete upper with 15" tube to go on special... they just raised the price up a couple hundred and the stock is low. Might be a while.
Old 12-09-2016, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Looks good. I did one similar but it was a 556 with MIAD+Backfin. I put a Thordson + AR10 spacer on a 16" Gen1 PA-10, but it is a basic build with the good old Delta ring - one of those special $360 complete uppers they offered a few years back.

I have a gen2 PA-10 complete lower coming in today that will be done like yours with the fixed carbine stock and MIAD+Exile Backfin, Lantac Brake and Lantac CMC trigger. Wating for that $999 18" complete upper with 15" tube to go on special... they just raised the price up a couple hundred and the stock is low. Might be a while.
Ooh, let me know how you like that lantac brake. I almost bought a Lantac Dragon but the price made me hesitant.
Old 12-09-2016, 9:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45 ACP View Post
Ooh, let me know how you like that lantac brake. I almost bought a Lantac Dragon but the price made me hesitant.
The 762 Dragon is $90 at PSA, last time I ordered one. I figure it is double what I paid for a KAW linear brake, but it actually does something, hahah. I mean besides making things quieter for the shooter and the line.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Looks good to me
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Is that a polymer lower?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Is that a polymer lower?
Nope, it's 7075 T6 forged:

http://www.apfarmory.com/308-stripped-lower/
Old 12-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Gotchya. I think the pic makes it look poly. Was kinda worried for your safety there. Nice rifle.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Well........... You went "featureless" so........ My vote is........ its ugly. Just my $.02. It looks sexy without that doo hicky thingy mabober doinker kook grip.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Gotchya. I think the pic makes it look poly. Was kinda worried for your safety there. Nice rifle.
Don't worry, I've always known of your feelings for me.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
Well........... You went "featureless" so........ My vote is........ its ugly. Just my $.02. It looks sexy without that doo hicky thingy mabober doinker kook grip.

I would rather do featureless than register. But I agree, I wish I didn't have to have a kydex fin.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Don't worry, I've always known of your feelings for me.
Meh, I'm just looking for a new sugar daddy.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's funny. I just took a picture of my lower at the gun shop and showed my buddy. He asked if it was polymer too.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
That's funny. I just took a picture of my lower at the gun shop and showed my buddy. He asked if it was polymer too.
I think it's because the lowers are brand new, and maybe diffuse lighting.

If the lower had some wear on it, a little chip here and there, it would give off more of a "metal" look.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I think it's because the lowers are brand new, and maybe diffuse lighting.

If the lower had some wear on it, a little chip here and there, it would give off more of a "metal" look.
Could be. Also could be the trigger guards. Some people are familar with AR's having add-on trigger guard and seeing the solid piece might scream plastic to them.

Oil soaked Parkerization always looks like metal to me
Old 12-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I did take off the bird cage, but got excited when I mounted the scope and forgot to take a pic with the comp.

haha, the stories are just part of my life. I find it funny that people in off-topic think I'm making it all up. Part of the fun for me.
The King Comp is a flash hider under CA law as it shares design features with a flash supressor and it advertises to offer flash supression. Sorry.
Old 12-09-2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
The King Comp is a flash hider under CA law as it shares design features with a flash supressor and it advertises to offer flash supression. Sorry.
Are you sure? On the little box, it literally says "compensator and a muzzle brake".
Old 12-09-2016, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Lantac Dragon qualifies as a flash suppressor. The company claimed flash-suppression capabilities in its marketing copy until very recently.

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure? On the little box, it literally says "compensator and a muzzle brake".
From the product page at Strike Industries' website:

Quote:
To top it off, the K-Comp features 4 serrated prongs provide some flash suppression.
Per California law, if the manufacturer claims it suppresses flash, it's a flash suppresor.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 12-09-2016, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Lantac Dragon qualifies as a flash suppressor. The company claimed flash-suppression capabilities in its marketing copy until very recently.

Quote:
Quote:
From the product page at Strike Industries' website:

Quote:
To top it off, the K-Comp features 4 serrated prongs provide some flash suppression.
Per California law, if the manufacturer claims it suppresses flash, it's a flash suppresor.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 12-09-2016, 4:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Positive, which is a shame because it certainly looks cool.
Old 12-09-2016, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
:I agree, I wish I didn't have to have a kydex fin.
We have to do what we think is right. If I were to build an AR I'd go this route rather then to register it. That's just my opinion

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 12-09-2016 at 5:20 PM..
Old 12-09-2016, 6:02 PM

Lantac Dragon:
"Ultra Fast Attenuation (UFA) of muzzle blast gasses helps to reduce side blast and muzzle flash, preventing this Dragon from being a fire breather!"
This is from primary arms, but says nothing about it on Lantac's website.
Old 12-10-2016, 6:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess12 View Post
Lantac Dragon:
"Ultra Fast Attenuation (UFA) of muzzle blast gasses helps to reduce side blast and muzzle flash, preventing this Dragon from being a fire breather!"
This is from primary arms, but says nothing about it on Lantac's website.
Lantac's website and the product packaging used to say, "Ultra Fast Attenuation of muzzle blast gasses means that Flash Signature is also reduced."
Old 12-10-2016, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Good looking build,,,and at a good price!
Old 12-10-2016, 8:57 AM

Nice build!!! I am planning of using strike industries king comp on my AR10 308 build. Is this good to go as far as california law? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2016, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

New Lantac CMC trigger for my gen1 came today. It fits. 20% off Cabela's gift cards plus $50 points and free shipping made it cheap. This one feels noticeably better than my CMC 3.5 Flat that I love. The shape and width of it feels better as well as the pull.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's a little PSA bargain build with a Thordsen. MOE SL handguard, Kaw Valley Linear Brake, Hiperfire EDT3 trigger, etc. Nice simple, handy little rifle.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I had planned to do an AR10/308 build next year or buy a complete 308 semi-auto rifle (SCAR, PTR 91, etc), but considering the passage of some laws you may have heard of during the Summer, I decided to go all in and just do a ground up build.

So I did an Alex Pro Firearms (APF Armory) build. Which is fortunate because I just realized they said they are no longer shipping to California as of last week.

My build list:

- APF Stripped Lower: $220
- DPMS LPK: $60 (Black Friday Special)
- Geissele G2S trigger: $115 (Black Friday Special)
- Magpul MOE Fixed Stock: $22 (Black Friday Special)
- Stoner Buffer Assembly: $50
- Alex Pro-Fab Complete Upper w/ 20 inch barrel: $500
- Vortex Strike Eagle + Burris PEPR combo: $285 (Black Friday Special)
- Strike Industries King Comp 308: $30
- Kydex A2 Wrap: $30

Total build cost: $1312

How did I do?

Awesome - I have a monster man on mine but will probably change to a Thordsen. Love those stocks.
Old 12-19-2016, 1:02 PM

I really like the look of that lower. It reminds me of the tactical machine ones. I would have guessed they made it had I not noticed the bolt catch holder. That looks like an even nicer feature!!! How does it work? Is it just holding the pin in place??
Old 12-19-2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
Lantac's website and the product packaging used to say, "Ultra Fast Attenuation of muzzle blast gasses means that Flash Signature is also reduced."
Maybe that was on a gen 1? They are on gen 3's now.
Old 12-19-2016, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBnNC View Post
Maybe that was on a gen 1? They are on gen 3's now.

I bought one at retail within the last year that (I believe) has that exact wording on the packaging.
Old 12-19-2016, 7:37 PM

Lantac has removed the flash attenuation verbiage from their website but you can find that language on most on-line retail pages for the comp.

Sucks as I have Dragon's on both of my rifles that are going featureless. I'm replacing the Dragon's with Surefire Pro-Comps.
Old 12-19-2016, 7:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks nice. But i rather go MMG or Hammerhead just because those were the names mentioned to be legal. I think the fin is in the grey area, correct me if Im wrong.
Old 12-19-2016, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
Looks nice. But i rather go MMG or Hammerhead just because those were the names mentioned to be legal. I think the fin is in the grey area, correct me if Im wrong.

A properly positioned and installed fin should be perfectly in compliance with the wording of the regulation. OTOH, some people worry about lack of permanence and/or other between-the-lines concerns, which IMHO are valid concerns in the current climate.

At the same time, that hasn't stopped me from grip-finning at least one of my rifles (one that doesn't have other alternatives available).
Old 12-19-2016, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

^ Yes, even i have a few myself, but i ended up swapping to HH. Been looking for mmg but no AR to put it on.
Old 12-19-2016, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
^ Yes, even i have a few myself, but i ended up swapping to HH. Been looking for mmg but no AR to put it on.
Heh. I built a featureless AR around a U-15. I'm old-school like that.
Old 12-20-2016, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thordsen looks and feels best. No love for the fins here. Hera is coming out with a featureless buttstock grip next year.
Old 12-20-2016, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Thordsen looks and feels best. No love for the fins here. Hera is coming out with a featureless buttstock grip next year.
I like the Thordson's too, but also love that Exile Machine Backfin for the Miad... need to stop mentioning it though. I need it not to be sold out so I can order another right-hander, dammit Somehow I ordered a lefty last time by mistake.

Thordo's always reminded me of the old Daewoo DR200's hahah.