Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-12-2013, 1:57 PM

Question What is looked at when applying for a CCW

I would like to apply for a CCW through the Sacramento County Sheriff. I'd like to know if something from my past would exclude me from being granted a CCW.

I have an outstanding misdemeanor warrant out of Los Angeles for writing a bad check about 25-years ago. In years past I've contacted LAPD to clear the matter up and the response is always the same, turn yourself in. Unfortunately, that's not practical since I live in Sacramento now.

Every DOJ and DROS background check I have ever done has come back clean. However, with a CCW I assume the background check is more thorough.

Can someone please speak to this matter and let me know if this would be a problem with getting a CCW.

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

You're wanted? A misdemeanor will not stop you from owning a gun, well most of then anyway, but this goes to show your character which they do consider.

Road trip!
Old 03-12-2013, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

A bad check? 25 yrs ago? Turn yourself in to Sac PD. Maybe contact CGF first. I doubt that the Sac PD is going to jail you and transfer you to LA for a measley bad check. You might have to go to LA for a court date and pay a fine. Whatever it is, I would clear it up first before applying.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Is there no Statute of Limitations?
Old 03-12-2013, 2:14 PM

I'm not sure if there is a statue of limitations on this matter. It used to be every time I moved and notified the DMV I would get a letter from the LAPD in the mail asking me to contact the detective assigned to the case. Those letters stopped a good 10 plus years ago.

I've never been arrested or had any other problems with the law, just my stupidity when I was 19. One day I'd like to address the matter, but just not right now.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:16 PM

DUDE! 25 years? pay your freeking bill man.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
Is there no Statute of Limitations?
No statute of limitations on a filed case. The statute of limitations only applies until court proceedings have been started. The statute on that crime is 12 months, that means the DA's office filed the case within the 12 month period. Since there is a warrant, that would indicate to me that a misdemeanor case has been filed.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Did you ever make good on the check? Pay the bill, plus interest, and an honorarium, then see if they still want to press charges.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Did you ever make good on the check? Pay the bill, plus interest, and an honorarium, then see if they still want to press charges.
No, I moved out of state before charges were filed. To my understanding, the complaint was filed by the bank, which is no longer in existence.

Please note, it isn't a matter of "paying my bill", that shipped sailed a long time ago. I would have to turn myself in and go to court (in LA) unless the DA's office decided to drop the charges due to the length of time, which I don't foresee happening.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:31 PM

Honestly, contact the court, give them the case/warrant number and ask that your name be put on calendar. When you show up that day, you may get a resolution.
Bottom line is, until that is cleared up, it only hinders your chance of getting a CCW.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

How positive are you that there is an outstanding warrant?
Old 03-12-2013, 2:54 PM

I just looked it up online and it appears to be active.

Filed At: Van Nuys Courthouse West
Limited Jurisdiction
Filing Date: 11/XX/1988
Penal Code: 476A(A)
Disposition: Case Pending
Old 03-12-2013, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Jeezus dude, I was 6 years old in 88! LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 3:05 PM

Ok, so not to get too far off track, the main question still remains. Would Sac County pull up misdemeanor warrants statewide? Again, never had any previous problems with DOJ checks before.
Old 03-12-2013, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto916 View Post
Ok, so not to get too far off track, the main question still remains. Would Sac County pull up misdemeanor warrants statewide? Again, never had any previous problems with DOJ checks before.
Yes it would come up when they run your name. The reason it has not been an issue on DROS checks, is that system looks for convictions, and charges and issues that would make you a prohibited person.
Old 03-12-2013, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not 100% sure it will DQ you, but its absolutely not going to help. I would take a road trip to L.A. after putting myself on calendar before submitting my CCW application. But, I'm neither you nor a lawyer so I can't tell you at this rate which is truly the best option.
Old 03-12-2013, 4:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would like to apply for a CCW through the Sacramento County Sheriff. I'd like to know if something from my past would exclude me from being granted a CCW.

I have an outstanding misdemeanor warrant out of Los Angeles for writing a bad check about 25-years ago. In years past I've contacted LAPD to clear the matter up and the response is always the same, turn yourself in. Unfortunately, that's not practical since I live in Sacramento now.

Every DOJ and DROS background check I have ever done has come back clean. However, with a CCW I assume the background check is more thorough.

Can someone please speak to this matter and let me know if this would be a problem with getting a CCW.

Thank you!
Dude, you're not responsible enough (or man enough) to clear up a 25 year old warrant, but you want to be considered responsible enough for a CCW? It seems to speak to your character and the issuing agency may look at it that way.

EDIT: (for the LEOs) When I applied for mine, they ran me as I was sitting in the waiting room for my interview. If he doesn't do anything and does make it to the interview, is there a chance he could be taken into custody?

Last edited by Doheny; 03-12-2013 at 5:40 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
(Not a LEO, but...)

Dude, you're not responsible enough (or man enough) to clear up a 25 year old warrant, but you want to be considered responsible enough for a CCW? It seems to speak to your character and the issuing agency may look at it that way.

EDIT: (for the LEOs) When I applied for mine, they ran me as I was sitting in the waiting room for my interview. If he doesn't do anything and does make it to the interview, is there a chance he could be taken into custody?

Geez! You don't have to question the dude's character, it's not like he's a rapist or murderer. He bounced a check, big deal. We've all made mistakes when we were younger. Some more than others.
Old 03-12-2013, 5:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Geez! You don't have to question the dude's character, it's not like he's a rapist or murderer. He bounced a check, big deal. We've all made mistakes when we were younger. Some more than others.
Yep, it speaks to his character as I see it. It's not like he's on the lam for being a rapist or murder, to use your examples. He's had 25 years to get it fixed. He says it's "not practical" to comply as LAPD has instructed him to because he now lives in Sacto? Geeze, get in your friggin' car and make the drive; it could be taken care of in a day. At the very least, call an attorney and have it handled.

Yeah, as I see it, such a situation speaks a lot to someone's character. Man up and do the right thing. The issue isn't bouncing a check 25 years ago; it's failing to do anything about it for those last 25 years.

Last edited by Doheny; 03-13-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
The issue isn't bouncing a check 25 years ago; it's failing to do anything about it for those last 25 years.
First I am no LEO nor am I an Attorney, but I agree, it will come up in the initial background check. That is still not to say that the SO would not issue to him. There have been plenty of people with colorful histories that have been granted LTCs, however I dont believe that they had current active cases pending against them. Even though it is a misdemeanor he has not handled it which will speak to his character, also he currently has no plans on taking care of it either. To quote the OP:

Quote:
One day I'd like to address the matter, but just not right now.

Last edited by DLEONARD13; 03-12-2013 at 5:50 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 5:47 PM

Dude, just pay an attorney a few bucks to make this go away.

I can pm you a recommendation if it helps. I bet you never even have to show up.
Old 03-12-2013, 5:54 PM

SSD will find out either through the initial background check or Liveacan.

Remember, part of the consideration of having a LTC is having good moral character, and this will factor into your approval or denial.

While the matter with LAPD seems trivial enough, it would be in your best interest to see that the matter gets resolved.
Old 03-12-2013, 6:16 PM

Default It's not the check,it's the 25 years

1) Bouncing a check (and having a case filed against you) will count towards good character. BUT... it's 25 y/o, if it's resolved (even with a guilty plea)and you haven't done anything else, it'd be a quick "yeah, I was stupid as a kid"' and move on. *If* they are going to issue you without the bad check, they'd issue you with the bad check. Even very "colorful" histories aren't a problem with responsibility and time.

2) "Blowing it off" for 25 years without resolving it, or resolving it just before applying for a CCW WILL count against good character. Heavily. You've broken the law, been prosecuted, and been offered opportunities to clear it up for YEARS and either didn't do anything because it was "inconvenient" OR you finally did something when you couldn't avoid it any longer.

Best advice: pay a lawyer, turn yourself in if the lawyer says to, pay the fine, and wait a year to apply. It's a misdemeanor, not life without parole.

IANAL. IANALEO.
Old 03-12-2013, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You have a 25 year old warrant out for you. You are a fugitive from justice.
If you approach law enforcement, you may be apprehended. Get an attorney and deal with this. If you can't afford one, contact Sacramento legal aid or the law schools. All have pro bono representation which will give you a buffer until this can be sorted out.

I would not apply for a CCW knowing this is open. How would your interview go? "Oh, I should probably mention that there is an open warrant for my arrest on record. I've been ignoring it for a quarter century." I don't think you'd make it home from the interview.

Git 'er done.

JR
Old 03-12-2013, 6:42 PM

I genuinely appreciate the advice, albeit a little more harsh then necessary from some. I will take care of the matter before pursuing a CCW.
Old 03-12-2013, 9:20 PM

Yes . During the Initial interview a Detective will have your rap sheet it will show all open warrants and arrest state wide .
Old 03-12-2013, 9:43 PM

I had a lot more than a bounced check in my record and I got a ccw no problem. So you never know until you try
Old 03-12-2013, 9:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
I had a lot more than a bounced check in my record and I got a ccw no problem. So you never know until you try
Yeah, but did you have any open warrants?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 AM

Same here. I have a few tickets and two non disqualifying misdemeanors. I also was honest that I tried marijuana when I was younger and was approved. But for both of my misdemeanors I took alternative action and paid fines so both charges were dropped down to disturbing the peace and petty theft. So once you handled your 25 year old warrant I think youll be good to go 100%

but like others have said I wouldnt waste their time trying to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon when you have an outstanding warrant. Who knows they could even take you into custody

clear it up and wait a year and I bet you get approved
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Take care of your shizznit, and man up. If you know it's wrong, but you let it lag for longer than some here have been alive... and now you want to get a CCW... not good, not good at all.

I can tell you, if you walked into our station with an active warrant, whatever business you want to handle will wait until way after you are booked and processed. We take all warrants, except little tiny ones for ordinances or such.

If all else fails, make a huge donation to the Sheriff's favorite charity, and then apply. Works here, I hear.
Old 03-13-2013, 7:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Hey California may make a law that any outstanding warrants negate gun rights ownership. THEN you really need to take care of it. So why wait?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM

I would agree with what most everyone is saying and to take care of it ASAP. You're chances will only increase by doing so. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
turn yourself in
Wear underwear, and bring some ciggies.

You are a scofflaw. Forget about the CCW.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but did you have any open warrants?
Umm... I guess not. So ya figure that crap out then apply.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I genuinely appreciate the advice, albeit a little more harsh then necessary from some. I will take care of the matter before pursuing a CCW.
Good. For those unfamiliar the question on the form is "have you been arrested".

And, not harsh at all, sacto. I hope the system treats you as nicely as we have.
Old 03-13-2013, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey California may make a law that any outstanding warrants negate gun rights ownership. THEN you really need to take care of it. So why wait?
You mean they haven't yet? Great, now you just gave them an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Wear underwear, and bring some ciggies.

You are a scofflaw. Forget about the CCW.
Wear the same uniform as the department you turn yourself in, with a few stars on the collar. It'll be hilarious.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
You mean they haven't yet? Great, now you just gave them an idea.
I'm sure they have. You cannot buy a gun with an outstanding traffic ticket already.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm sure they have. You cannot buy a gun with an outstanding traffic ticket already.
No kidding? Does photo radar count?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM

If you turn your self in on Sunday night most judges will give you time served as if you had spent the whole weekend in jail .

That's what I remember from working the Van Nuys Courts back in the
8o's

Last edited by becxltoo984; 03-13-2013 at 10:46 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

You better hope that its not like a Failure to appear bench warrant and the amount keeps increasing the longer you avoid it... I would seek advice from a professional and take care of it asap... Procrastination will jack you up everytime!