Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-27-2013, 6:09 PM

Default MAWP

Ok, so PCS'ing to California soon. I have spent my whole career in the gun loving "good guy" states and have accumulated a decent amount of hardware.
I read the thread on the MAWP but it seems to have been dead for quite awhile.
Has anyone had any luck getting a base commander to sign off on one of these? I have no problem standing on the carpet to explain it but don't want to get laughed out of the office.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:46 PM

On Pendleton you have to bring firearms to PMO and they won't sign off unless it meets their standards.

But regardless why not just live off base and you can have all the "hardware" you want.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:58 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post

But regardless why not just live off base and you can have all the "hardware" you want.
Because the State of California says it's a felony to import guns it calls 'assault weapons' - unless one can get permission from the state, such as the MAWP.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-27-2013, 9:21 PM

Good luck! I have not heard of any Navy commanders that have signed off on a MAWP letter.
Old 04-28-2013, 1:56 AM

Thumbs down

hate to break it to you but California does not give a flying **** about service members 2a rights either.

It used to be that if you were PCS'ing to CA and were not a CA resident, that if you would bribe-err, "pay" the CA DOJ 78 dollars or something around that you could register and possess "Assault Weapons" Standard cap mags were still a no go unless you owned them prior to 2000 or whenever the crap happened.

So now, fast forward a couple of years. Arbitrarily, without any real reason why, CA DOJ decided to reword the permit, to that it states that in laymens terms, you have to have the base commanding officer sign off on it, as well as the weapons had to be deemed necesary for training use.

Lets break this down a little I will be stationed on MCRD in a month or so. The commanding officer, of MCRD is A Brigadier ****ing General. There is no way that he will sign that off, it wouldn't even make it past the company level. because basically if something did ever happen, whoever signed that document of approval would be viewed as at fault, and the military is all about covering our asses from liability.

Also the verbage for being necesary for training? WTF when in the hell has a privately owned weapon ever been used for training.

In short, Californias feel good leftist government has taken away your right to possess your personal property will being stationed here, oftentimes not even up to us in the first place....

honestly, its a bit of a tangent that I just launched, but the MAWP getting gutted and rebuilt was the straw that broke my back with ever voluntarily living here.
Old 04-28-2013, 5:55 AM

I am going to be heading to the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey. Obviously there is going to be no training requirement for my personal AR's, of which I have three. I just have nowhere else to take them. I know I have been working in a strange part of the military but I don't know any of my commanders that would not sign off on this. They are all gun guys though.
Old 04-28-2013, 5:57 AM

I also read about the fact that military owned magazines are exempt from the "high capacity," ban.
How do they know the difference? Over my time I have accumulated probably three different types of 30rd 5.56 mags from over nine or ten manufacturers. All issued by the military.
Old 04-28-2013, 7:23 AM

I feel your pain. One of my rifles is being babysat by a buddy of mine in AZ. ARs can be made CA legal though. There are also ways around the magazine thing in state.
Old 05-15-2013, 9:25 AM

Hey guys, I'm PCS'ing to Commiefornia from Virginia. Just looked at this link and my heart sunk. I have numerous pistols and rifles that will now have to be "modified, sold, kept out of state, or destroyed (magazines)", according to the laws they want to pass.
Any word if any of the BULL**** passed?

http://smartgunlaws.org/tracking-sta...s-legislation/
Old 05-15-2013, 9:30 AM

Don't Destroy/Sell ANYTHING! Your stay in CA won't be for ever. Dis-assemble and store with a reliable individual OUT of CA. Right now, nothing new has been signed into law. Bullet Button for semi-autos with features and order 10 round magazines for the rest. IF you have a NAMED assault rifle, there is no help with a BB for those to enter CA. Read the flow chart and the Wiki.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
Good luck! I have not heard of any Navy commanders that have signed off on a MAWP letter.
Jamie Franks has his...so....

Last edited by CALRaider; 05-15-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS6sar View Post
Hey guys, I'm PCS'ing to Commiefornia from Virginia. Just looked at this link and my heart sunk. I have numerous pistols and rifles that will now have to be "modified, sold, kept out of state, or destroyed (magazines)", according to the laws they want to pass.

Nothing new has yet passed - Bills go to the Governor near the end of September.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 05-17-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS6sar View Post

I just PCSed to Monterey myself. I left everything that didn't meet CA laws with family in Montana. I also made note that I probably can't sell any of my handguns, and that I won't be buying any of the CA neutered firearms.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:34 PM

You can sell your handguns here no problem via private party transfer (I'm assuming you're talking about off list, non-CA compliant firearms). However, you need to be careful in the quantity of sales so you aren't labeled as an "importer," the limit is four times a year. Off roster sales can't be shipped in this state either.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2li View Post
You can sell your handguns here no problem via private party transfer (I'm assuming you're talking about off list, non-CA compliant firearms). However, you need to be careful in the quantity of sales so you aren't labeled as an "importer," the limit is four times a year. Off roster sales can't be shipped in this state either.
I am, and if I am reading CA Penal code 32000 correctly, I can't.

Quote:
32000. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(1) The manufacture in this state, or importation into this state, of any prototype pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person when the manufacture or importation is for the sole purpose of allowing an independent laboratory certified by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 32010 to conduct an independent test to determine whether that pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is prohibited by Sections 31900 to 32110, inclusive, and, if not, allowing the department to add the firearm to the roster of pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person that may be sold in this state pursuant to Section 32015.
(2) The importation or lending of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person by employees or authorized agents of entities determining whether the weapon is prohibited by this section.
(3) Firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(4) The sale or purchase of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, if the pistol, revolver, or other firearm is sold to, or purchased by, the Department of Justice, any police department, any sheriff’s official, any marshal’s office, the Youth and Adult Correctional Agency, the California Highway Patrol, any district attorney’s office, or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties. Nor shall anything in this section prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of these agencies of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(c) Violations of subdivision (a) are cumulative with respect to each handgun and shall not be construed as restricting the application of any other law. However, an act or omission punishable in different ways by this section and other provisions of law shall not be punished under more than one provision, but the penalty to be imposed shall be determined as set forth in Section 654.
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)
As I read it, since the 'import' and 'offers/exposes' clauses are separate, even though I am not considered a Personal Firearm Importer per penal code 17000, I still couldn't sell my 'unsafe' handgun, unless the buyer was exempted. Then there are the rest of the pot wholes in Article 5 to trip over. Admittedly, I am not a lawyer, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express last night either.
Old 05-18-2013, 1:48 PM

Before arrival I would install a bullet button on any AR-15's. Label all 30 round mags in a sealed boxed labeled "issued military gear" Exclude all pistols with threaded barrels, find an out of state babysitter you trust, or sell. I am not sure about if you can just keep your pistols dissembled during orders(only those with threaded barrels) Any AK's with a pistol grip must contain bullet button device.
Welcome to the People's republic of California please register to vote here if possible.
Old 05-18-2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domcintosh View Post

As I read it, since the 'import' and 'offers/exposes' clauses are separate, even though I am not considered a Personal Firearm Importer per penal code 17000, I still couldn't sell my 'unsafe' handgun, unless the buyer was exempted. Then there are the rest of the pot wholes in Article 5 to trip over. Admittedly, I am not a lawyer, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express last night either.
I believe your reading of 17000 to be correct, you are not an importer as AD executing a "one-time" move to CA with your legally owned firearms. Were you to let's say bend the rules and use your out of state DL to purchase off roster weapons while on leave and bring them back repeatedly, that would be importation.

Article 5 is the key to the whole transfer issue in that as defined in Section 28050 private party transfers are exempt from the roster. If you look on the marketplace there are tons of examples of off roster pistol sales via PPT, from US Glocks to one of mine as an example where I purchased a 686-3 recently (only the 686-6 with the ILS is on the roster).

Make note as to todd2968's comment about registering to vote here, AB169 which was introduced this year would ban all off roster sales.

Also do remember 27560 (registering of hanguns) doesn't apply unless you separate from service in California.
Old 05-18-2013, 7:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:

You are not importing for sale, you are importing as part of your household goods. If you later choose to sell one of your off-Roster handguns, under current law that's fine.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2968 View Post
Before arrival I would install a bullet button on any AR-15's. Label all 30 round mags in a sealed boxed labeled "issued military gear" Exclude all pistols with threaded barrels, find an out of state babysitter you trust, or sell. I am not sure about if you can just keep your pistols dissembled during orders(only those with threaded barrels) Any AK's with a pistol grip must contain bullet button device.
Welcome to the People's republic of California please register to vote here if possible.
This is good advice. I am going to need several boxes for both rifle and pistol magazines. I read (on the internet so mileage may vary) that a disassembled AR does not require a bullet button. Is this true and if so what do they consider disassembled.
I will continue to vote in Colorado though, I feel like that state still has a chance.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanche1_6 View Post
This is good advice. I am going to need several boxes for both rifle and pistol magazines. I read (on the internet so mileage may vary) that a disassembled AR does not require a bullet button. Is this true and if so what do they consider disassembled.
I will continue to vote in Colorado though, I feel like that state still has a chance.
'disassembled' firearms are still firearms.

There is no 'constructive possession' explicitly in CA law regarding an 'assault weapon', but a recent court case has muddied that water and a prosecution on that basis has a non-zero chance of success.

If all you have are semi-automatic center-fire uppers for your lowers, probably better to have the bullet-buttons. $20 for a bullet-button looks like a good investment to avoid "imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years." (Penal Code 30600)

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM

If you have a AR lower it needs to have a bullet button period. Kind of like if you have a pistol (sub 16") upper you have to have a mated pistol lower receiver with it at all times otherwise you can be charged with having an SBR. Even if you DROS a stripped lower it will still have a BB on it. Most of them (BBs) are easy to install just like a normal mag release.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks to all for the advice. Absolutly would like to avoid prison time for things that have been legal everywhere else I have lived.
Old 05-24-2013, 3:10 AM

Quote:

Look at this:

30925. A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful
possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(a) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that
person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in
the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section
32650) of Chapter 6.
(b) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a
licensed gun dealer in this state in accordance with Chapter 44
(commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code
and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a
permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified
in Article 3 (commencing with Section 32650) of Chapter 6, the
dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the
licensed gun dealer is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon
to a person pursuant to this section, the dealer shall possess or
dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

Hi Cap Mags:

32310. Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section
32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any
person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for
sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine is
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or
imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

PC 1170(h) gives the state the authority to send you to county jail for the duration of your prison term. FELONY!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Man Cave must have!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=752047
Old 05-24-2013, 1:46 PM

Take out the springs in your mags, put on a bullet button to any ar's you own and voila, your legal, your blowing it out of proportion man. The only hassle your going to encounter is buying new 10rd mags. And as long as none of your firearms are considered AW there's no reason to register ANYTHING
I wouldn't register crap, they don't know you have it, don't let them know you do, esp if you're that worries about someone trying to take it away, which if you don't tell them you have it, they have no reason to come knocking
Old 05-25-2013, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_0811 View Post
Take out the springs in your mags, put on a bullet button to any ar's you own and voila, your legal, your blowing it out of proportion man. The only hassle your going to encounter is buying new 10rd mags. And as long as none of your firearms are considered AW there's no reason to register ANYTHING
I wouldn't register crap, they don't know you have it, don't let them know you do, esp if you're that worries about someone trying to take it away, which if you don't tell them you have it, they have no reason to come knocking
I don't think I am blowing anything out of proportion. I am being sent to California. It is an advantageous career move but the military does not ask for consent. I have multiple weapons that California considers "assault weapons." In my time in the military I have accumulated over 100 different magazines for various weapons, all of which accept more than ten rounds ( because who really wants a magazine that only takes ten). I do not want a felony charge in California for things which are legal in damn near every state in the union. If you think that trying to avoid that felony charge is "blowing it out of proportion" then you are a moron.
Old 05-25-2013, 7:09 PM

I came back to this, still pissed off. These things that you consider no big deal:
bullet button AR's and 10-rd magazines are an INFRINGEMENT, by definition, of 2nd Amendment rights. That really pisses me off. The fact that many people consider it normal pisses me off even more.
Old 05-25-2013, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

And my stupid *** chose to retire here. What was I thinking...

OP, this state while offering so much, just blows choad when it comes to privately owned firearms. You can thank the residents of San Fran, LA, and San Diego for all their fine politician choices.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 AM

I would not worry about any issued AR mag that you've accumulated, like I said earlier seal them in a box marked "issued military gear" and if the look you are covered they are military gear period. The others will have to be broken down or swapped for 10 round mags that's just the reality of it. Good luck