Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-08-2019, 7:21 PM

Default CC a Carbine?

I looked around forums and searched but i wasn't able to find anything.

I am not sure if counties differ, but I have a 3 gun registration limit for ccw's in mine (San Joaquin). I have tried to find any documentation that lists the types of firearm permitted to me listed on the CCW, but I have only found that "single shot" firearms are not permitted.

My question is, aside from handguns, would we be be able to register a Carbine like a sub 2000? I am not looking to play LEO and track down active shooters / criminals, but having legal access to a shoulder mounted firearm has its merits and knowing I could have it loaded and ready to go, again-legally, would be something. This would be something I would have placed in a laptop bag/backpack type carrier or a dedicated hard-safe in trunk.

Thanks for input

Last edited by EQTrax; 11-08-2019 at 7:24 PM.. Reason: added county
Old 11-08-2019, 7:39 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQTrax View Post
My question is, aside from handguns, would we be be able to register a Carbine like a sub 2000?
Nope.

CA LTC permit only allows a "handgun" [PC 16640(a)] (pistol [PC 17010], revolver [PC 17080], firearm capable of being concealed [PC 16530(a)]) to be listed on it.
^This limits it to Title 1 Handguns and Title 2 AOWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQTrax View Post
... but having legal access to a shoulder mounted firearm has its merits and knowing I could have it loaded and ready to go, again-legally, would be something. This would be something I would have placed in a laptop bag/backpack type carrier or a dedicated hard-safe in trunk.
It is CA legal to have an unloaded long gun in your vehicle.
^So, it being unloaded in a locked container/safe in your vehicle's trunk is CA legal.

While outside of your vehicle, the unloaded long gun needs to be encased or in a locked container and you must travel directly to & from authorized locations. [PC 26405(c)]
~If the fully enclosed container/bag/etc is designed for a firearm, then it does not need to be locked. [PC 16505]
~If the container/bag/etc is not designed for a firearm, then it needs to be locked.

Penal Code 16640
(a) As used in this part, “handgun” means any pistol, revolver, or firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

Penal Code 17010
Use of the term “pistol” is governed by Section 16530.

Penal Code 17080
Use of the term “revolver” is governed by Section 16530.

Penal Code 16530
(a) As used in this part, the terms “firearm capable of being concealed upon the person,” “pistol,” and “revolver” apply to and include any device designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled a projectile by the force of any explosion, or other form of combustion, and that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. These terms also include any device that has a barrel 16 inches or more in length which is designed to be interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.

Penal Code 26405
Section 26400 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying of an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in any of the following circumstances:
(c) When the firearm is either in a locked container or encased and it is being transported directly between places where a person is not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Penal Code 16505
For purposes of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4, a firearm is “encased” when that firearm is enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of that firearm exposed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: PC cites
Old 11-08-2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Nope.

CA LTC permit only allows a "handgun" (pistol, revolver, firearm capable of being concealed) to be listed on it.
Yep. Put yourself in the IA’s position. Should you ever use it, the media and the other party would have a ball in the civil case and put the IA in a tight spot.
Old 11-08-2019, 7:42 PM

This is not the "A" team...
Old 11-08-2019, 8:17 PM

Thank you for the info!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

AR pistol?
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
AR pistol?
It is a "handgun" that is up to the issuing agency on if they will approve it to be listed on the permits they issue.

Most likely it will not be approved.
^It is already know that Fresno County, Orange County, Riverside County, Sacramento County, San Bernardino County, and Ventura County will not approve AR/AK style pistols.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-09-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
It is a "handgun" that is up to the issuing agency on if they will approve it to be listed on the permits they issue.

Most likely it will not be approved.
^It is already know that Fresno County, Orange County, Riverside County, Sacramento County, San Bernardino County, and Ventura County will not approve AR/AK style pistols.
No doubt. But in the free zone, I hear TX and other states will. Someday....
Old 11-09-2019, 8:42 PM

Disregard.

Last edited by Spaffo; 11-09-2019 at 8:45 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 9:11 PM

In some states no specific handguns need to be listed or declared. However, just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Being spotted with an AR pistol in public would cause quite the panic and media frenzy in most states.
Old 11-09-2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
This is not the "A" team...

LOLZ!

Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
In some states no specific handguns need to be listed or declared. However, just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Being spotted with an AR pistol in public would cause quite the panic and media frenzy in most states.
Nah, I would only have it as a truck gun for tooling around my ranch. I wouldn't conceal it. Heck, I have enough problems concealing a glock 17... much less an AR pistol.

Then again, in enlightened states, I imagine the populace wouldn't panic so easily at the sight of guns, even the evil black no sporting value variety.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nah, I would only have it as a truck gun for tooling around my ranch. I wouldn't conceal it. Heck, I have enough problems concealing a glock 17... much less an AR pistol.

Then again, in enlightened states, I imagine the populace wouldn't panic so easily at the sight of guns, even the evil black no sporting value variety.

I would conceal carry an AR pistol in my backpack when I go on long road trips. The backpack would sit on the passenger seat if my wife is in the back with the kids or it would be on the floor of the passenger seat if she’s occupying the seat. I don’t think it’s a good idea and a little excessive walking around town with an AR strapped to your back.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Old 11-10-2019, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Like I said, I wouldn't carry one around, it'll be a truck gun.

But then again, if we are always espousing being over prepared with a reload and backup gun, having a rifle caliber weapon is as good as it gets.

Remember, a pistol is a great defensive tool for you to fight your way back to your rifle.
Old 11-11-2019, 4:12 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Like I said, I wouldn't carry one around, it'll be a truck gun.

But then again, if we are always espousing being over prepared with a reload and backup gun, having a rifle caliber weapon is as good as it gets.

Remember, a pistol is a great defensive tool for you to fight your way back to your rifle.
It is CA legal to have an unloaded long gun in your vehicle.
^So, your rifle/shotgun being unloaded in your vehicle's trunk is CA legal.

While outside of your vehicle, the unloaded long gun needs to be encased or in a locked container and you must travel directly to & from authorized locations. [PC 26405(c)]
~If the fully enclosed container/bag/etc is designed for a firearm, then it does not need to be locked. [PC 16505]
~If the container/bag/etc is not designed for a firearm, then it needs to be locked.

Old 11-12-2019, 1:34 AM
Veteran Member

Good info, thanks.