Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-19-2019, 7:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Default SO MUCH MONEY IN OUR HANDGUNS

that they either cost more then our rifles, cant afford ammo, cant go to training or we wont carry them.

Am I the only one seeing this trend come up again? Are we not satisfied with stock anymore? If you CCW then most guns will be stock. Matches are free game but why are we just tinkering, changing out stuff before we even beat the gun up? Adding on comps without seeing if they will even work with the gun. Paying to get them tuned or buy spicy ammo to make them work.

What wrong with stock? (Ex are glock sights. Those are literally just place holders )
Old 11-19-2019, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

People like to mess around and change stuff up. For some it’s part of the fun. I personally did a bunch of Glock mods for years in USPSA and found a lot of it didn’t really make any difference. For what it’s worth my two carry guns, a sig sp2022 and a SW 642 are bone stock. I’d love to get some different sights for the sig but it’s not a priority at the moment and I shoot the gun well as is.
Old 11-19-2019, 7:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
People like to mess around and change stuff up. For some itís part of the fun. I personally did a bunch of Glock mods for years in USPSA and found a lot of it didnít really make any difference. For what itís worth my two carry guns, a sig sp2022 and a SW 642 are bone stock. Iíd love to get some different sights for the sig but itís not a priority at the moment and I shoot the gun well as is.
Game guns are free range IMO. If it helps you win or get master class then ADD THAT PART! I'm seeing dude at tac twi gun with comps on first glocks and they shooting 115 gr and having issues. Seen one dude pull out his Wilson glock and slowly put it back in the holster cause he didn't want to scuff it..... while putting back in a SERPA!
Old 11-19-2019, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevans66 View Post
Game guns are free range IMO. If it helps you win or get master class then ADD THAT PART! I'm seeing dude at tac twi gun with comps on first glocks and they shooting 115 gr and having issues. Seen one dude pull out his Wilson glock and slowly put it back in the holster cause he didn't want to scuff it..... while putting back in a SERPA!
I think this is part of a generational change to people just buying tactical guns. Nothing wrong with it. It used to strike me as odd only because for my generation it seemed like everyone shot .22 rifles then progressed up to different guns and hunting from the time they were kids. A lot of young guys I run into were raised without guns, decided to get into it and their first gun is an AR. Itís different but itís not wrong. It keeps people shooting so itís positive.
Old 11-19-2019, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
I think this is part of a generational change to people just buying tactical guns. Nothing wrong with it. It used to strike me as odd only because for my generation it seemed like everyone shot .22 rifles then progressed up to different guns and hunting from the time they were kids. A lot of young guys I run into were raised without guns, decided to get into it and their first gun is an AR. Itís different but itís not wrong. It keeps people shooting so itís positive.
Getting a rifle in todays caliber was never a issue to me. I will laugh if your pistol cause insanely more then your rifle(ie a ruger 556 with a MRO. Which is under a grand and a great set up) vs your $1600 Zev. Not knocking the zevs cause they are COOL but what your ammo stack look like? Mags? sling? You got a ccw? classes? if in a free state you got a can?
Old 11-19-2019, 8:11 AM

I haven't been noticing that - what I have been noticing is the sheer number of sub-3 or 4 hundred dollar polymer receiver pistols coming out in Free America.

Sigs, Glocks, Smith&Wessons, Springfield Armory, Taurus, etc.

This seems to be the age of the cheap polymer 9mm pistol.
Old 11-19-2019, 8:11 AM

What few arms I have are stock.

Firearms for me have always been a tool, and not a hobby. I had other pursuits that cost as much or more, like photography.

As a youth, we always had guns around the house as did neighbors and they were tools, not "hobby things". Different time and place.

I do understand the "tinkering" bit though, be it cars, guns, or whatever. Something's just need to be disassembled to understand how they work.

(Unfortunately disassembly is always MUCH easier than re-assembly for some things; hence a large parts drawer).

Respectfully
Kyle

WE are the NRA.

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on". -Joseph Heller, novelist (1 May 1923-1999)
_________+__________
Old 11-19-2019, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
I haven't been noticing that - what I have been noticing is the sheer number of sub-3 or 4 hundred dollar polymer receiver pistols coming out in Free America.

Sigs, Glocks, Smith&Wessons, Springfield Armory, Taurus, etc.

This seems to be the age of the cheap polymer 9mm pistol.
Market is FULL of them and I'm thankful. Gets more people in!
Old 11-19-2019, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1886 View Post
What few arms I have are stock.

Firearms for me have always been a tool, and not a hobby. I had other pursuits that cost as much or more, like photography.

As a youth, we always had guns around the house as did neighbors and they were tools, not "hobby things". Different time and place.

I do understand the "tinkering" bit though, be it cars, guns, or whatever. Something's just need to be disassembled to understand how they work.

(Unfortunately disassembly is always MUCH easier than re-assembly for some things; hence a large parts drawer).

Respectfully
Kyle
Ha! FACTS!
Old 11-19-2019, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I go stock until I get a feel for what I need changed.

I have had to change right-handed grips to ambi.
(Makarov lanyard ring.)

I get the extended slide stops for Glocks.

Sights are often needed for my older eyes.

As Kyle says, sometimes it is fun to tinker a bit.

Last edited by Garv; 11-19-2019 at 8:38 AM..
Old 11-19-2019, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

For obvious reasons, all handguns I’ve listed for CCW are completely stock with exception of night sights and an RMR on a Glock factory MOS slide. Only modifications I’ve done to my p226 are to lighten up the DA/SA trigger pull. I don’t see the need to do anything else.

Generally speaking, a lot of us are tinkerers to some degree, whether we’re talking guns, cars or what have you.

I’ll add that when I first started out, I felt more of a need to modify a gun before even shooting it in hopes it would make me an awesome shooter. After being disappointed and coming to the realization that training and practice were the ticket and not fancy doodads and gizmos, I began leaving things alone, for the most part.

Last edited by Echidin; 11-19-2019 at 8:45 AM..
Old 11-19-2019, 8:47 AM

I think its a result of the CA roster. I comes from boredom of choices available. You walk in to a gun store and see the SAME guns for the last 10 years! I guess one just gets fed up with the same gen3 glocks and tricks them out in order to have something different. Just my .02.
Old 11-19-2019, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1979gm View Post
I think its a result of the CA roster. I comes from boredom of choices available. You walk in to a gun store and see the SAME guns for the last 10 years! I guess one just gets fed up with the same gen3 glocks and tricks them out in order to have something different. Just my .02.
You, my man, are correct. Since the market is stagnant due to gov regulation you have to upgrade on your own. I can get behind that.
Old 11-19-2019, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidin View Post
For obvious reasons, all handguns Iíve listed for CCW are completely stock with exception of night sights and an RMR on a Glock factory MOS slide. Only modifications Iíve done to my p226 are to lighten up the DA/SA trigger pull. I donít see the need to do anything else.

Generally speaking, a lot of us are tinkerers to some degree, whether weíre talking guns, cars or what have you.

Iíll add that when I first started out, I felt more of a need to modify a gun before even shooting it in hopes it would make me an awesome shooter. After being disappointed and coming to the realization that training and practice were the ticket and not fancy doodads and gizmos, I began leaving things alone, for the most part.
After doing IDPA, tac two gun and classes I only upgrade or make changes after those things to get better. Add on skateboard tape, get a better optic, sling etc. My p365 is stock and ill be doing all my matches for IDPA with that next year. We're going to get intimate. lol
Old 11-19-2019, 9:21 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

wife shoots 9mm and i'm a .40 guy.
- put an fde grips on all her guns and od green on mine for easy identification and to help avoid mix-up.
- replaced stock sights with x-ray sights (excellent upgrade and would do on all if they weren't expensive) on our home defense guns.

those were the only upgrade/change made. heck! even our rifles are boring stock features except for one (with alg-act trigger).
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 11-19-2019, 9:27 AM

I always liked the RTF2 G17 with the fish gill serrations because it's different than the standard Gen 3 G17 , all standard Glocks almost look identical except for the RTF2 or colored receiver models, I like original black , it has a more solid look and looks more military, the colored ones look civilian.

I prefer original sights or just standard , no need for night sights that I never use at the range, plus night sights go bad after a few years, I dont like having to replace my sights because they go dim from age.

I never needed an extended slide stop on a Glock, I dont use it for a slide release, I rack the slide instead.

I keep mine stock
Old 11-19-2019, 9:29 AM

Since no handgun is perfect out of the box for everyone, it seems perfectly reasonable to want to modify some things on them. Besides, it gives me a few precious minutes in the garage away from the nagging wife and the honey-do list. LOL
Old 11-19-2019, 9:41 AM

I had a Gucci glock. Overrated and got a gen5 by trading it. I might be one of the few who doesn’t mind a stock Glock.
Old 11-19-2019, 9:42 AM

High quality factory rifle is surprisingly inexpensive. Once you start adding high quality glass, chassis, barrel, bipod, ammo, range fee, etc. precision long range shooting can become quite expensive and time consuming. I have not found a hobby that is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 10:23 AM

Some guns are just fine stock, others require (in my opinion) a bit of tinkering, and some demand it (CZ's) because they can be made soooo much better.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe in 5 years the trend will be how well can you shoot with a completely stock gun. I spent a bunch of money for mods on my first Glock, it took me a while after shooting it and my stock Glocks to realize the genius of the stock platform. I enjoy stock guns now more than the ones with mods. Now in the process of restoring my first Glock back to stock condition. Anyone want to buy a ďJohnny GlockĒ combat trigger LOL.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Moar basic guns > one Gucci gun

It’s just me but I have difficulty investing more than 50% of initial cost of any gun for accessories... I get conversion barrels, maybe sights or fancy grips/stocks - but I don’t care for “race guns”.

Last edited by plumbum; 11-19-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Old 11-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
wife shoots 9mm and i'm a .40 guy.
- put an fde grips on all her guns and od green on mine for easy identification and to help avoid mix-up.
- replaced stock sights with x-ray sights (excellent upgrade and would do on all if they weren't expensive) on our home defense guns.

those were the only upgrade/change made. heck! even our rifles are boring stock features except for one (with alg-act trigger).
I like your method.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
I always liked the RTF2 G17 with the fish gill serrations because it's different than the standard Gen 3 G17 , all standard Glocks almost look identical except for the RTF2 or colored receiver models, I like original black , it has a more solid look and looks more military, the colored ones look civilian.

I prefer original sights or just standard , no need for night sights that I never use at the range, plus night sights go bad after a few years, I dont like having to replace my sights because they go dim from age.

I never needed an extended slide stop on a Glock, I dont use it for a slide release, I rack the slide instead.

I keep mine stock
Youre so old school and down to earth with this posting I read it in a john wayne voice. lol
Old 11-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title1guy View Post
Since no handgun is perfect out of the box for everyone, it seems perfectly reasonable to want to modify some things on them. Besides, it gives me a few precious minutes in the garage away from the nagging wife and the honey-do list. LOL
My p365 is perfect for me out the box.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM

I change sights to my liking, a bit of action work if it’s bad, and maybe grips.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Sometimes it just feels nice to change a part here and there to make your own private property unique to yourself. Every time I polish down a 1911 trigger or slide and finish an installation job myself it feels nice to feel I have accomplished something to make my firearm fit myself better. It may not have any value to anyone else, but that should not deter you from enjoying yourself.
Chino Hills, CA 91709
P: 909 597 0123
F: 909 597 0004
Monday to Saturday 10:30am to 6:30pm
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...6#post23616526
Old 11-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

We, by nature, would like to try new things.

Since CA roster is limiting us for trying new guns, we have no choice but taking a different route.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:02 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

All my guns are stock.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:16 PM

I put Dawson fiber optic front, and black rear on my G17. I put new grips on my Single Six. The factory wood grips were smooth, and the new grip panels have checkering that helps with my grip. Not a lot of money, but big improvement for both pieces.

Otherwise, both guns are stock.
-P
Old 11-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Social media changed everything

The proliferation of personalized guns, trucks, drums, knives, watches, etc. has exploded. With YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, the action is 24 hours of photo sharing from around the world.

It's pretty cool to see what people create, and it's spurred a resurgence of trade artistry that is astounding.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:45 PM

If I wasn't Californian I probably wouldn't have nearly as many pistols.

When I lust for an off roster pistol, and then find one at a price I will bend to, it then becomes a matter of: ONCE IN A LIFE TIME OPPORTUNITY instead of, well I don't really need that now.

Then likewise, I hold on to them more so than I otherwise might.

Hoping to leave CA in a few years, in which case I will be selling off more than a few.
Old 11-19-2019, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Made America View Post
The proliferation of personalized guns, trucks, drums, knives, watches, etc. has exploded. With YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, the action is 24 hours of photo sharing from around the world.

It's pretty cool to see what people create, and it's spurred a resurgence of trade artistry that is astounding.
I see a lot of gram copy guns a the range. I wish they copied some of that training. lol
Old 11-19-2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post

When I lust for an off roster pistol, and then find one at a price I will bend to, it then becomes a matter of: ONCE IN A LIFE TIME OPPORTUNITY instead of, well I don't really need that now.

Same. I don't have any Gucci Glocks (or any Glocks at all anymore), but I mostly have higher value (albeit 100% factory-stock) guns. Off-rosters don't tend to depreciate much (see: Glock Gen 4s and 5s for $1000+ on Calguns Marketplace) and many (aside from the Glocks and arguably the Sig P320s) are hard to come by, so that justifies at least some of the spending. With rare exceptions, I don't like going in and Gucci-fying afterwards.

Quote:
SO MUCH MONEY IN OUR HANDGUNS that they either cost more then our rifles, cant afford ammo, cant go to training or we wont carry them.
Thinking back to that one thread with the guy who refused to dry fire a while back, I think people who don't train won't train. Even if they have money, even if they have time, even if they have ammo, regardless of what firearm they own, if they don't want to do it they won't do it.

If it was a 1:1 ratio exchange then I'd understand where OP is coming from, but lets say someone has $2,500. Keeping the choices equal, chances are they will either buy a stock Glock and have $2000 left over, buy a Glock and Gucci it out and have $0 left over, or buy some badazz Glock-esque platform like the Zev OZ9 and have $500 left over. Chances are no matter how much money they have at the end, $0 of it is going into training, unless they're predisposed to wanting to train to begin with, which most people don't seem to be. I don't think Gucci-fying Glocks stops people from training at all, to be honest. Like that dude in the one old thread who wanted to buy a gun but absolutely balked at the idea of dry-fire training, I think people who want to train will, and people who don't want to, won't.

ďHard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.Ē - G. Michael Hopf

Last edited by LateBraking; 11-19-2019 at 1:35 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Same. I don't have any Gucci Glocks (or any Glocks at all anymore), but I mostly have higher value (albeit 100% factory-stock) guns. Off-rosters don't tend to depreciate much (see: Glock Gen 4s and 5s for $1000+ on Calguns Marketplace) and many (aside from the Glocks and arguably the Sig P320s) are hard to come by, so that justifies at least some of the spending. With rare exceptions, I don't like going in and Gucci-fying afterwards.

That said, and thinking back to that one thread with the guy who refused to dry fire a while back, I think people who don't train won't train. Even if they have money, even if they have time, even if they have ammo, regardless of what firearm they own, if they don't want to do it they won't do it.

If it was a 1:1 ratio exchange then I'd understand where OP is coming from, but lets say someone has $2,500. Keeping the choices equal, chances are they will either buy a stock Glock and have $2000 left over, buy a Glock and Gucci it out and have $0 left over, or buy some badazz Glock-esque platform like the Zev OZ9 and have $500 left over. Chances are no matter how much money they have at the end, $0 of it is going into training, unless they're predisposed to wanting to train to begin with, which most people don't seem to be. I don't think Gucci-fying Glocks stops people from training at all, to be honest. Like that dude in the one old thread who wanted to buy a gun but absolutely balked at the idea of dry-fire training, I think people who want to train will, and people who don't want to, won't.
Yeap! Folks don't want to go out to these classes and look like a noob OR they fear they don't know as much as they think. Same with comp shooting. Seen officers just up and quit while in the middle of a match cause they other where out shooting them.

I personaly find training fun now that I'm out the Corps. Comps are a heart thumbing blast to me.

Anyone see commercials for Buck Doyles classes?
Old 11-19-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:

Hoping to leave CA in a few years, in which case I will be selling off more than a few.
I'd have more. It's so easy to cash and carry in other states, especially when you don't even need a background check with a CCW. FFL transfer fees are much less usually, no DROS, etc.
Old 11-19-2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Whatís the significance of the holster being serpa?
Old 11-19-2019, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Same with me. The ďyou arenít allowedĒ factor plays a big role.

If I lived in Texas Iíd likely own one pistol, one rifle and one shotgun!
Old 11-19-2019, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnrnlo View Post
Whatís the significance of the holster being serpa?
Cause he bought that expensive gun with a really cheap holster. Not the new serpa either. Like the old ones that are like uncle mikes.
Old 11-19-2019, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

.22 trainer.

Ruger Mk. series if you're a 1911 owner. Work on aim, draw, and grip most of the time. Break out the .45 from time to time, to handle recoil, follow-up, double-taps, etc.