Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-19-2019, 9:25 AM

Default AA Tank Brake Muzzle Blast Issue

Hey guys, not sure if this should be in the reloading section or not but hopefully some of you have experience in this. Im shooting a 50beowulf with the AA tank brake and im getting particles flying out to my side, its not just wind because i found needle like holes on a piece of paper that i placed on my side to see if it was coming from the brake or the ejection port. my brother said it felt like a gust of *****ly air hit his back as he was turned away several feet behind my to my 4 o clock. Could this be unburned powder, oil, pc lead, or what?

My guess is unburned powder because im using non magnum primers? thats the only thing i can think of right now, but its very unpleasant for others nearby shooters i wont take it out again in public until i figure this out.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Reload according to the loading manuals.

Use magnum primers when the saami spec calls for magnum primers.

Brakes- aka - blast enhancers redirect pressure to the side or rear...

They can blow out ear drums and hurt items to the side of the brake or to the rear

Not sure I understand your question

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Reload according to the loading manuals.

Use magnum primers when the saami spec calls for magnum primers.

Brakes- aka - blast enhancers redirect pressure to the side or rear...

They can blow out ear drums and hurt items to the side of the brake or to the rear

Not sure I understand your question
Mostly wondering is it normal for brakes to spit out projectiles from its sides or is it supposed to be just a pressure wave of gasses/air
Old 11-19-2019, 1:14 PM

It could be debris from the bench or whatever you're using as a rest. When i shoot prone, m .458 Socom leaves a three leafed clover of weird ripples in the dust from 4' ahead of the muzzle all the way back to my hips as if I'm in a 45* cone of peace and the rest of the world has hell falling upon it. It kicks up everything but pebbles.
Old 11-19-2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyBusiness View Post
Mostly wondering is it normal for brakes to spit out projectiles from its sides or is it supposed to be just a pressure wave of gasses/air
That is normal - especially if the ammo has too slow of propellant or bullets that are insufficiently crimped.
Old 11-19-2019, 2:18 PM

yeah normal where do you think the brakes directs the gases? that's what comes out plus powder and other debris.
Old 11-19-2019, 3:29 PM

Damn so it's actually a concern for safety of others to be wearing eye protection if they're around me. I'm still going to pick up some magnum primers just to see if I can minimize some of that powder debris being sprayed out. Also because I'm using pc cast lead I can't go further on the crimp as I am or I'll start to pierce the lead
Old 11-19-2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopsDad View Post
It could be debris from the bench or whatever you're using as a rest. When i shoot prone, m .458 Socom leaves a three leafed clover of weird ripples in the dust from 4' ahead of the muzzle all the way back to my hips as if I'm in a 45* cone of peace and the rest of the world has hell falling upon it. It kicks up everything but pebbles.
Man how could you continue to shoot with a slight breeze that dirt comes back into your face lol
Old 11-19-2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
That is normal - especially if the ammo has too slow of propellant or bullets that are insufficiently crimped.
Would you call rl7 a slow powder?
Old 11-19-2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Would you call rl7 a slow powder?
I use it in .45-70 so it might be a little slow for your use. It's easy enough to load up a few test rounds with a slightly faster powder to find out..

FWIW, you might consider trying a "low flash" powder (like Accurate Arms) as it leaves fewer unburnt powder kernels. Also, there are some muzzle devices available that operate as a comp, yet have a sleeve that you can add to make them more of a linear comp (with the sleeve installed).

Truth is that you need to give more consideration to unburnt powder kernels when you are running a gas impingement action. It's dirt you don't need and can typically be eliminated via better component matching. It's just all part of reloading to find the best recipe.
Old 11-19-2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Man how could you continue to shoot with a slight breeze that dirt comes back into your face lol
It's not a joy BUT it's also not how I often shoot that little hammer; only when I was sighting it in. I took a hog with it offhand at 70+ yards a few weeks back and THAT'S when it's a pure joy. Boom. Pig opened its mouth, took a step and her legs folded. DRT.