Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 10-18-2019, 9:18 AM

Default .308 Norma - pros / cons

Hey all,

Dug out an ol' family relic that has been collecting dust in a safe and have never actually shot it.

Its an old 1903 Springfield that someone re-chambered in .308 Norma.

I know it is kind of an oddball round and a lot of people chamber them in either 300win mag or .308 Winchester, so I wanted some input...

I know the cons are..

Expensive as *&%$
Harder to find ammo
Supposedly has a heft kick

So what are the pros of .308 Norma?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2019, 9:40 AM

I assume you're talking about 308 Norma Magnum? I had never heard of it, but apparently it was up and coming in popularity until the 300 Win Mag took over due to better availability.

If you reload, it sounds like it's not much more trouble than any other wildcat cartridge: Form the brass and you're largely good to go.

If you don't reload, it's pricey, but available.

Sounds interesting; would like to hear if you decide to make use of it.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSon View Post
Hey all,

Dug out an ol' family relic that has been collecting dust in a safe and have never actually shot it.

Its an old 1903 Springfield that someone re-chambered in .308 Norma.

I know it is kind of an oddball round and a lot of people chamber them in either 300win mag or .308 Winchester, so I wanted some input...

I know the cons are..

Expensive as *&%$
Harder to find ammo
Supposedly has a heft kick

So what are the pros of .308 Norma?

Thanks!
The norma is a better design than the 300 win mag.
The case is shorter so it mostly keeps the powder behind the bullet while the 300 win mag has most bullets seated way down into the powder column.
The Norma's shorter overall length allows it to fit into 30-06 length actions where the 300 magnum would not quite fit.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-18-2019, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

The .308 Norma Magnum is very much a standardized 30-338WM. It's not interchangeable but it is very similar to that wildcat. Everyone assumed Winchester would legitimize the 30-338WM but since it was so close the the 308NormaMag, Winchester developed the 300WM. Performance between the two is very close with the 300WM having a slight edge, but theoretically the .308NormaMag and 30-338WM are better case designs than the 300WM. Brass is still available or it can be formed without too much trouble.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-19-2019, 10:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Between 2006 and 2010 several of the IBS 1000 yard Top Dogs were using the 308 Norma. Charles Ellertson Alvin Davidson and Charles Bailey come to mind.
Gunsmith Dave Tooley came out with his own design based on the 308 Norma and he called it the 300 BooBoo or something similar sounding.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-19-2019, 10:57 PM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

I have one. 308 Norma mag. It's a great caliber. You can make brass from 338 win mag. Great ballistics. Has great consistency across the chrony too. Kicks a bit, like a 300 win mag. Certainly blows away 7.62x51 NATO.

However it's not big enough for most african game do the 375 h&h is a better choice

Last edited by bubbapug1; 10-19-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Old 10-20-2019, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Comparing the "new" Hornady 300PRC case dimensions, it seems very much like a beltless 308NormaMag. All diameters slightly larger but proportions are very much the same. When it's right, it's right.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-20-2019, 8:55 AM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

In terms of brass life I have never had good luck with belted cars. At most 3-4 reloads, but usually they are shot at the belt after 2 reloads, or a total of three shots.

I take great care to not resize the brass, which insures as little stress as possible in the belt area, but alas it's the first shot that usually does the damage as the chambers for most belted magnums seems to be reamed liberally, as they are hunting calibers, and a jam, especially while hunting Cape buffalo might just ruin your day.

If one could use a belt less magnum and meet the African nations demand of stopping power (375 H&H is the minimum in Many countries) than I'd do that if brass is your concern. However if your hunting Africa brass cost is the least of your budget I assume. Why would you use an exotic case no one carries? Just go back with standard brutal calibers stocked in abundance.

That would be 375 H&H, 300 win mag, 338 win mag. Or even 308 Norma mag!!

Until the dinosaurs return from global warming those calibers will work fine.
Old 10-20-2019, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
In terms of brass life I have never had good luck with belted cars. At most 3-4 reloads, but usually they are shot at the belt after 2 reloads, or a total of three shots.

I take great care to not resize the brass, which insures as little stress as possible in the belt area, but alas it's the first shot that usually does the damage as the chambers for most belted magnums seems to be reamed liberally, as they are hunting calibers, and a jam, especially while hunting Cape buffalo might just ruin your day.

If one could use a belt less magnum and meet the African nations demand of stopping power (375 H&H is the minimum in Many countries) than I'd do that if brass is your concern. However if your hunting Africa brass cost is the least of your budget I assume. Why would you use an exotic case no one carries? Just go back with standard brutal calibers stocked in abundance.

That would be 375 H&H, 300 win mag, 338 win mag. Or even 308 Norma mag!!

Until the dinosaurs return from global warming those calibers will work fine.

You have not yet discovered the Larry Willis belted magnum collet die? The problem you describe can be solved. I have 7mm Rem mag brass that is on its 7th loading.

http://www.larrywillis.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 8:07 AM

Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-11-2019, 5:08 AM

If you ever sell it let me know. I have a .358 Norma Mag in 1906 Brazilian Mauser with a custom fiberglass MarkX stock and a vortex 6-24x50 and a Custom Vias muzzle break. Shoots like a dream. It’s a thumper. Hand loads are a must. The knock down power is unreal with the Norma Mags. It is not a long range by any means. I am maxed at 550 yards and after that it falls off the map very quickly. The 308 Norma does shoot flatter. I prefer large caliber heavy bullet for elk. I don’t like searching all day for small amount of blood.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrobi35 View Post
If you ever sell it let me know. I have a .358 Norma Mag in 1906 Brazilian Mauser with a custom fiberglass MarkX stock and a vortex 6-24x50 and a Custom Vias muzzle break. Shoots like a dream. Itís a thumper. Hand loads are a must. The knock down power is unreal with the Norma Mags. It is not a long range by any means. I am maxed at 550 yards and after that it falls off the map very quickly. The 308 Norma does shoot flatter. I prefer large caliber heavy bullet for elk. I donít like searching all day for small amount of blood.
That sounds like a great setup!

This one just has a 12x on it and I'd have to check and see what it is. I think its an old Leupold.

I am still looking around for ammo for it to try out since it looks like it costs an arm and a leg.
Old 12-11-2019, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

The ammo runs around $60 for 20 rounds because the brass is $2 a case.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 12-11-2019, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on Larry Willis die for belted magnums. Well woth the $100.

http://larrywillis.com/

Even getting 2 extra loadings from each case for 40 rounds pays for the die.