Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered Need a job, need a job filled? Help out a fellow Calgunner!

Old 10-20-2019, 2:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Need an RN w/IV cert. Skills

Hello,

I am looking for an experienced RN with IV certification skills, in starting a IV catheter for hydration, on an elderly person who is dehydrated and is considered a "Hard Stick".

Our situation is, my 88 y/o mother had a severe stroke and is bedridden at home with me. She needs regular IV hydration, every 2 to 3 weeks. The IV clinic will no longer take her as they said she needs to be able to "walk in", which is impossible.

We had a steady and excellent RN for 2 years, but she has left the area and it has been difficult to find a regular, very competent person. We had tried various Home Health companies with some very disappointing results. Doing 4 failed pokes in one session is not acceptable.

Ideally, I would like to find one RN, who would be available every 2 to 3 weeks. The times and days are totally flexible to fit their schedule. This would be to start the IV only, should not take longer than 1/2 hour. Catheter will be removed by others.This person would do these types of jobs, on the side as an Independent Contractor.

All supplies are provided by the Doctor, as well as the order for the IV.

Details and first questions and answer session would initially be handled by me. If all sounds good and both of us would like to go to the next step, there would be a phone interview with the RN and the Doctor.

I am also offering a $100 referral fee to anyone who can refer someone to us, and that it all works out for us as I have described.

We are in Mountain View, the South Bay area of San Jose.

Please PM me for any questions.

Thank you,
David
Old 10-20-2019, 6:47 PM

I'm not familiar with this type of situation, where a patient needs IV rehydration therapy every two or three weeks. Have you considered having a doctor create a long-term IV access port? Although you or another person would need to be trained in sterile technique, accessing the port is less complicated than starting a new IV and port access is less painful for the patient, especially if a person is a hard stick. It might also be better for the patient to maintain hydration with smaller weekly infusions through an IV port rather than less often with peripheral IVs.

You are near Stanford University Medical Center and Medical School. Maybe give them a call and see what options you might have. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2019, 6:35 AM

I have nothing to offer but a comment that I'm amazed that this kind of stuff is discussed on a gun site. CG'ers rock!

---Albert Einstein
Old 10-21-2019, 6:38 AM

Mom's doctors did not recommend a port/picc line for her.

It is not easy to find someone. I have tried everything I could think of. If I call a hospital and ask around, no one is willing to offer any help. One nurse told me that the hospital policy does not allow them to work for a patient if I was to ask them while they are on duty.

My hope would be for someone to see this post, who knows someone who does this, and can refer them to me. There are many ED RN's who are also very experienced in starting IV's.

This is not being billed to the insurance company, as they do not cover this. This is a private pay by me.
Old 10-21-2019, 7:25 PM

I issue is going to be liability insurance. My understanding is they would need a separate policy to do this and it isn't cheap.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 10-21-2019, 8:03 PM

Rn's who do this type of in home service, are Independent Contractors and carry their own insurance.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:36 PM

Get a Doppler and it would be a bit easier....what gauge does the IV have to be ?

Unfortunately I am down south ...
Old 10-22-2019, 5:52 AM

I could do this. But we are talking a commute for me.
Old 10-22-2019, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
I'm not familiar with this type of situation, where a patient needs IV rehydration therapy every two or three weeks. Have you considered having a doctor create a long-term IV access port? Although you or another person would need to be trained in sterile technique, accessing the port is less complicated than starting a new IV and port access is less painful for the patient, especially if a person is a hard stick. It might also be better for the patient to maintain hydration with smaller weekly infusions through an IV port rather than less often with peripheral IVs.

You are near Stanford University Medical Center and Medical School. Maybe give them a call and see what options you might have. Good luck.
No. Ports are not worth the infection ricks for regular hydration. Plus it requires and even skilled person to perform the access.

And having a doctor do it ... they are not trained per se. anesthesiologists yes.
Others ... no way.
Old 10-22-2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf & Turf View Post
Get a Doppler and it would be a bit easier....what gauge does the IV have to be ?

Unfortunately I am down south ...

We have been using 23g needles.
I have not heard of a "Doppler" before. Could you PM me a little bit more about what that is?
Old 10-26-2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
We have been using 23g needles.
I have not heard of a "Doppler" before. Could you PM me a little bit more about what that is?
Doppler require a pulsation Veins don’t pulse. Arteries pulsate

Last edited by Lebaneseblonde; 10-26-2019 at 7:53 PM..
Old 10-29-2019, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

so awesome that you're caring for your family. i can't imagine how difficult this must be. I hope you don't mind my suggestions.

....dopplers are based on ultrasound technology much like the doctor uses when looking at a baby in utero or evaluating the heart. they are often used to find veins as well as arteries as well as other structures, fluid or blood. you may have seen it being used to evaluate the carotid vessels in the neck for example for latency / atherosclerotic plaque.

while the technology has been around for some time, in recent years this technology has found increasing applications and is in broad use in many faculties. clinicians, nurses among others often employ these devices to secure vascular access

it's pretty cool, some of the devices are the size of a laptop and even smaller hand held devices are available albeit with less sensitivity and functions. They can show colors red vs blue for example and demonstrate flow characteristics, occlusions, compressibility, dimensions etc.

here's a couple of photos i quickly found on the internet:
https://cdn2.sonosim.com/wp-content/...und-course.png
https://image.slidesharecdn.com/dopp...?cb=1374929881

Just some thoughts but if a PICC line or some such is inappropriate then there are other forms of access for hydration such as through the Gastro Intestinal (GI) system...there are for example several types of feeding tubes available. Your physicians should have an idea of what's safe/appropriate for your loved one. Sometimes when infirmed it is difficult to keep up with nutritional requirements as well as fluid needs so the Gastro Intestinal Tract (stomach and intestines) can and are often used to replenish and supplement. Once you identify the best option(s) then working with the appropriate social workers can prove indispensable, they're often a wealth of knowledge and connections.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 10-29-2019 at 6:37 PM..