Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-23-2019, 7:52 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Well, if you're ever down in Los Angeles, you may meet me at a target range and shoot my .41 Magnum Marlin 1894.

Meanwhile, latch onto a .357! Even though you shoot some *real* guns, you should be amazed at the energy carbine-barrel .357 has on 50- and 75-yard targets.

".357 from a rifle barrel is a whole different animal." - It was either Chuck Hawks or Paco Kelly that said that.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-23-2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Well, if you're ever down in Los Angeles, you may meet me at a target range and shoot my .41 Magnum Marlin 1894.

Meanwhile, latch onto a .357! Even though you shoot some *real* guns, you should be amazed at the energy carbine-barrel .357 has on 50- and 75-yard targets.

".357 from a rifle barrel is a whole different animal." - It was either Chuck Hawks or Paco Kelly that said that.
Thanks for the offer!
I've got, Rossi 92 38/357 stainless.
Marlin 94 in 44 stainless JM marked.
Browning BLR in 308 that shoot half inch moa.
Winchester 94 in 3030.
The Rossi doesn't like 38s. The Marlin action is ok....
The Winnie's are hard to beat for smoothness.
The Browning is really nice shooter. But after the third shot she starts to string.
So now the quest is to find a 16 inch 92 in 357

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 8:36 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew

Well, sheeet... you've got it covered!

We need to post some updated pictures of the lever collections!

I might snap some photos this week.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-24-2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Well, sheeet... you've got it covered!

We need to post some updated pictures of the lever collections!

I might snap some photos this week.
Wish I could rotate the picture.

Old 09-25-2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
Not a fun range gun in my opinion. No offense.
I would disagree with that statement. My model 55 32 Special was very effective on steel silhouette's at 200 meters at Chabot before they shut down the range. As a mater of fact I shot it in the last silhouette match they shot there and tied for 1st place featured rifle but lost the shootoff.
Old 09-25-2019, 4:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I would disagree with that statement. My model 55 32 Special was very effective on steel silhouette's at 200 meters at Chabot before they shut down the range. As a mater of fact I shot it in the last silhouette match they shot there and tied for 1st place featured rifle but lost the shootoff.
That's apples and oranges catman! You were standing on your hind legs and shooting like a man. Probably foofy cast bullet loads too. 30 WCF full power factory shells from a 94 carbine from a bench can kill at both ends! Only thing worse is 44 mag from a 92 carbine.
Good job on the first place tie. Wish I was there, miss that match.
Old 09-25-2019, 5:31 PM

Yea Ken I miss that match also. It's a shame they closed that range down. I was actually shooting Hornady 165 gr flex tip bullets over a charge or IMR 3031. I earned my nickname today as I had to give 5 cats flea medicine. Now they are all glaring at me.
Old 09-25-2019, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
You guys are gonna hate me in a few days for continuing to promote the SKS. I can't think of a better truck gun than the SKS.
Not me, I luvs me some SKS, but I like inexpensive lever guns too.
My pre '64 Saddle Ring Carbine ($100 dollar score 10 years ago), got turned into gas money for my son to move back from Coeur d'Alene a few years back . He owes me big time. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 09-25-2019, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I wish I could find a Marlin for that price.
Old 09-25-2019, 8:42 PM
From anotha motha

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
No offense taken. Curious why isn't it a fun range gun? It's not made for 100 yards but out to 75 it's fine. There is something about a old lever gun, that makes me smile when I pull the trigger. And it's not black and scary looking lol.

Quote:
If I ever feel like shooting my 94, I'll save the cost of ammo and have you guys punch me in my deltoids half a dozen times.
Old 09-26-2019, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Wish I could rotate the picture.
Here you go...
levers.jpg
Old 09-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
That's apples and oranges catman! You were standing on your hind legs and shooting like a man. Probably foofy cast bullet loads too. 30 WCF full power factory shells from a 94 carbine from a bench can kill at both ends! Only thing worse is 44 mag from a 92 carbine.
Good job on the first place tie. Wish I was there, miss that match.
I shoot a 94, in .44 mag. I like it alot. Pretty accurate out to 75, but due to the big slug i noticed it drops off past 100. I loaded some pretty hot 180s and that seemed to help a bit with groups at 100.
I do like the 3030 with full house loads too. Yup im a sick puppy.

Quote:
Yea Ken I miss that match also. It's a shame they closed that range down. I was actually shooting Hornady 165 gr flex tip bullets over a charge or IMR 3031. I earned my nickname today as I had to give 5 cats flea medicine. Now they are all glaring at me.
YOU gave 5 cats a bath???? Those 165s are pretty good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
Not me, I luvs me some SKS, but I like inexpensive lever guns too.
My pre '64 Saddle Ring Carbine ($100 dollar score 10 years ago), got turned into gas money for my son to move back from Coeur d'Alene a few years back . He owes me big time. PAX
100? Yeah thats not gonna happen anytime soon. Like the old 79.00 SKS's. Never to be seen again at those prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
I wish I could find a Marlin for that price.
I actually had a 336 in 3030. I paid 400 for a few years back. Didnt care for the marlin vs the winchester. Just me tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Here you go...
Attachment 837893
Thanks for the fix!

One more day!
Old 09-28-2019, 7:19 PM

Picked up today. O boy.

Old 09-28-2019, 7:33 PM

That is an honest and classic lever gun! I like it!
Old 09-29-2019, 11:39 AM

Very cool. I put one in jail yesterday, a rusted 94 Centennial model. While it's my first 30-30, it's not my first lever gun. Got a Uberti 73, Hartford 92, and Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. Also have a Winchester 9422 in 22 lr.
Old 09-29-2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwishin View Post
That is an honest and classic lever gun! I like it!
Thanks. Patina is really nice. Nice that it came from the original owner.
Omg she's so smooth.

Old 09-29-2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenax View Post
Very cool. I put one in jail yesterday, a rusted 94 Centennial model. While it's my first 30-30, it's not my first lever gun. Got a Uberti 73, Hartford 92, and Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. Also have a Winchester 9422 in 22 lr.
You've got a nice collection there!
Ha!
Where's the picts? Lol

Old 09-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
You've got a nice collection there!
Ha!
Where's the picts? Lol

As soon as I get it home and cleaned up. I'll post before and after pics as well as the family pic.
American Legion Member

CCW: OR, UT, FL, AZ, NV & CA

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 09-30-2019, 5:27 AM
Veteran Member

Nice score dkonrai! That tang sight come with it!? If so, you stole that set-up.
Cleaner looking than I thought. Great find.
And good to see the MLC sticking up for the OP. Way to go guys!

MLC
Old 09-30-2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Nice score dkonrai! That tang sight come with it!? If so, you stole that set-up.
Cleaner looking than I thought. Great find.
And good to see the MLC sticking up for the OP. Way to go guys!

MLC
Yes sir, Tang sight included! Didn't even know until we met at City arms for the PPT.
Can't wait to shoot it!

Old 10-05-2019, 7:02 PM

Double check your serial number, it doesnt look like a 1976 period gun, it looks more like a pre-64. No screw head on either side for a lever pivot screw, older type rear sight elevator, older type rear sight. Bevels on the lower edges of the receiver look like older type also.

I agree pre-64 isnt quite the legendary animal they are often made out to be, but a definite improvement over most post 64 guns. They got pretty decent later on, but often have tons of rough sharp edges, even if the action feels smooth. Pre-war, yes, starting to get into some nicer guns.

Is there a screw head in the center of the link (the part that pivots out the bottom when the lever is cycled) holding the pivot pin in place?

RE shooting from a bench, if something mild like a 94 in 30-30 is uncomfortable, you (whoever didnt like it) may want to improve your bench shooting technique. Getting down low and leaning into it is a recipe for problems when recoil is involved. Getting the rest high enough you sit with your back straight up so you can move with the recoil, just like standing, helps hugely. A 338 Ruger wasnt at all uncomfortable when so used, but smaller stuff is when braced leaned into it. It may work out for 22 LR or 223 or other small stuff, but it can start to be uncomfortable when going up from there. Standing resting on the hood of a 4wd truck, if you arent leaned forward into it, makes a good rest.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old 10-05-2019, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Now thats a truck gun.You scored
Please let us know how it shoots

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 10-06-2019, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
Double check your serial number, it doesnt look like a 1976 period gun, it looks more like a pre-64. No screw head on either side for a lever pivot screw, older type rear sight elevator, older type rear sight. Bevels on the lower edges of the receiver look like older type also.

I agree pre-64 isnt quite the legendary animal they are often made out to be, but a definite improvement over most post 64 guns. They got pretty decent later on, but often have tons of rough sharp edges, even if the action feels smooth. Pre-war, yes, starting to get into some nicer guns.

Is there a screw head in the center of the link (the part that pivots out the bottom when the lever is cycled) holding the pivot pin in place?

RE shooting from a bench, if something mild like a 94 in 30-30 is uncomfortable, you (whoever didnt like it) may want to improve your bench shooting technique. Getting down low and leaning into it is a recipe for problems when recoil is involved. Getting the rest high enough you sit with your back straight up so you can move with the recoil, just like standing, helps hugely. A 338 Ruger wasnt at all uncomfortable when so used, but smaller stuff is when braced leaned into it. It may work out for 22 LR or 223 or other small stuff, but it can start to be uncomfortable when going up from there. Standing resting on the hood of a 4wd truck, if you arent leaned forward into it, makes a good rest.
Will check the serial number
She's tucked away in the safe. I'll check in a bit. If it's a pre 64, I'll be super happy!

About the recoil, good tip. Will try that my next outing, and bring out the 300wm. Maybe I can get more than 5 or 6 shots? Recoil is Stout to say the least. I have two bad shoulders, and the 300 is a bit much for this old man.

Old 10-06-2019, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Now thats a truck gun.You scored
Please let us know how it shoots
Just need some range time. Local range, hopefully will be opening in November. Hope to get out earlier....

Old 10-06-2019, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Will check the serial number
She's tucked away in the safe. I'll check in a bit. If it's a pre 64, I'll be super happy!

About the recoil, good tip. Will try that my next outing, and bring out the 300wm. Maybe I can get more than 5 or 6 shots? Recoil is Stout to say the least. I have two bad shoulders, and the 300 is a bit much for this old man.

The cutoff point when they started production in 1964 with the changes was 2,700,000. Besides different material for the receiver, and finish, they went to roll pins in several places that used to be solid pins, and did away with the link pivot pin with keeper screw in the front center of the link to a screw only, crossways in the frame for it to pivot on. There were others, like a stamped sheet metal carrier (lifter) though many were swapped to the machined or forged ones at some point.

The Brits used to use a standing rest for zeroing large caliber rifles for Africa, It gave me the idea to use a rest as tall as needed to sit upright. That shooting off the hood of the truck where I stood basically upright reinforced the idea. The Ruger 77 338 was one of my favorite rifles to shoot, though I probably never shot more than about 30 rds at a time. It was never uncomfortable to shoot in the ways I was used to shooting (I rarely used benches).
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old 10-14-2019, 9:55 PM

Default My Lever Family pic

Hey OP,

Here's my Lever Family pic.

From top to bottom:

Winchester 9422 in .22 lr

Winchester 94 in .45 Colt

Winchester 94 in 30-30

Hartford 92 in .45 Colt

Uberti 73 in .45 Colt

LeverFam.jpg
American Legion Member

CCW: OR, UT, FL, AZ, NV & CA

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.

Last edited by jigenax; 10-14-2019 at 9:57 PM..