Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2019, 1:18 PM
live2suck live2suck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Anacrime
Posts: 154
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default AIWB Belt Bulge

Stupid question:

What's the best way to resolve the "bulge" of my belt while AIWB'ing a full-size double-stack frame?

I'm not a big guy: 5' 8" & 190 lb frame, no visible abs, but I also don't have any belly for camouflage (30" pants, Med shirt size).

I don't seem to have any issues with the firearm itself (FN 57) printing, but I've noticed that my t-shirts have a weird bulge where my holster pushes my pants out 2" further than my body.

Is the fix as simple as wearing longer and looser shirts?

Thanks for any help, signed an overly conscious newb.
__________________
Treat every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it ...
PISS ON IT, and walk away.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2019, 1:29 PM
tnlrat37 tnlrat37 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: chino hills ca
Posts: 1,995
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

FN 5.7 is a big gun to ccw, Loose Button up shirt over the undershirt, possibly rotate back closer to 4 o’clock or appendix carry. Or you could do a shoulder Rig. My IA doesn’t allow FN 5.7, OC does?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2019, 2:01 PM
9mmContagion's Avatar
9mmContagion 9mmContagion is offline
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Riv. County
Posts: 3,741
iTrader: 145 / 99%
Default

Ditch the shmedium shirts! Where a larger T-shirt! Unless you live in a metro sexual night club. I’m roughly your same build and have worn size Large tees since high school. I don’t need to show my visible muscles, it leaves more to the ladies’ imagination. I have no troubles concealing a full size handgun.

Also, if it is the buckle that is bulging out, simply **** the buckle to the opposite hip of the handgun rather than in the middle. Assuming you are AIWB

BTW since I know it can be pricey to change your wardrobe, do yourself a favor and buy some plain tees like AAA or Shaka brand for cheap beginnings. I wear AAA almost exclusively. For $100 I can buy 20 shirts that last a year, then donate them every year and replenish.
__________________
FOR SALE:
Mossberg 500A $200 Menifee
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2019, 2:07 PM
hunterb's Avatar
hunterb hunterb is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SGV
Posts: 3,193
iTrader: 75 / 100%
Default

5'8" 190 lbs and no belly?! Damn dude, you must be built like a tank!

I suggest 4 o'clock or small of back carry for less noticeable "bulge."
Or like was suggested above, a shirt that is a bit baggy helps a lot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2019, 4:59 PM
Erion929's Avatar
Erion929 Erion929 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So. Orange County, CA.
Posts: 4,099
iTrader: 65 / 100%
Default

I don’t AIWB....I do 3:30

BUT, I know this:

— IF you have a big belt buckle, you need to rotate it off the center....to the left for right handers.

— you need a CLAW extension on your holster (or Bravo Concealment’s “Torsion” holster bend) to keep the grip end tucked into the body....big difference


.
__________________
Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!

Last edited by Erion929; 09-16-2019 at 5:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,788
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
I don’t AIWB....I do 3:30

BUT, I know this:

— IF you have a big belt buckle, you need to rotate it off the center....to the left for right handers.

— you need a CLAW extension on your holster (or Bravo Concealment’s “Torsion” holster bend) to keep the grip end tucked into the body....big difference


.
^^^^ This.

You can also try a buckle-less belt, longer/looser shirt and/or thinner holster if the one you have is particularly thick.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2019, 6:43 AM
live2suck live2suck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Anacrime
Posts: 154
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
FN 5.7 is a big gun to ccw, Loose Button up shirt over the undershirt, possibly rotate back closer to 4 o’clock or appendix carry. Or you could do a shoulder Rig. My IA doesn’t allow FN 5.7, OC does?
It is a big gun to CCW, but I can shoot it accurately (big hands suck for controlling compacts), AND 21 rounds @ 2200 FPS! OC does, and my instructors for the class were all giddy to try it. I do remember OC previously having a rule about no .22 & center-fire only, but there were plenty of people in my CCW class that were using a .22LR firearm as their primary - anything is better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmContagion View Post
Ditch the shmedium shirts! Where a larger T-shirt! Unless you live in a metro sexual night club. I’m roughly your same build and have worn size Large tees since high school. I don’t need to show my visible muscles, it leaves more to the ladies’ imagination. I have no troubles concealing a full size handgun.

Also, if it is the buckle that is bulging out, simply [shift] the buckle to the opposite hip of the handgun rather than in the middle. Assuming you are AIWB

BTW since I know it can be pricey to change your wardrobe, do yourself a favor and buy some plain tees like AAA or Shaka brand for cheap beginnings. I wear AAA almost exclusively. For $100 I can buy 20 shirts that last a year, then donate them every year and replenish.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I was 135 lb in high school, and medium shirts were baggy on me then. I suppose that I can thank 8 years of yoga and body weight training for my current physique - time to start transitioning to "Large" tees.

I bought a Hank's Gun belt that's a few inches too long, and I'd read previously about shifting the belt to the left, so that's what I've been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
5'8" 190 lbs and no belly?! Damn dude, you must be built like a tank!

I suggest 4 o'clock or small of back carry for less noticeable "bulge."
Or like was suggested above, a shirt that is a bit baggy helps a lot.
Maybe? I attribute most of it to my thunder thighs - I also get the feeling that my rib cage is wider than average - I don't have any "Vee" shape to my torso.

Any tips on 4 o' clock concealment? I work in an office and lab, and spent a fair amount of time sitting in a chair and bending over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
I don’t AIWB....I do 3:30

BUT, I know this:

— IF you have a big belt buckle, you need to rotate it off the center....to the left for right handers.

— you need a CLAW extension on your holster (or Bravo Concealment’s “Torsion” holster bend) to keep the grip end tucked into the body....big difference
OOooo, thanks for mentioning "The Claw," and I hadn't heard about, or seen those before - I'll keep that in mind if I feel that's becoming a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
^^^^ This.

You can also try a buckle-less belt, longer/looser shirt and/or thinner holster if the one you have is particularly thick.
Do you have experience with buckle-less belts? How does the velcro hold up over long-term use? Do they maintain their length during a normal day of flexing and bending?


Thank you for all of the suggestions, gentlemen, they are greatly appreciated.
__________________
Treat every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it ...
PISS ON IT, and walk away.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2019, 8:55 AM
spegull03 spegull03 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Dorado County
Posts: 599
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

I have the same problem when trying to carry with a tucked in shirt. The gun itself is hidden but the belt and buckle look odd and you can't move the buckle off to the side. Haven't found a good solution so I usually don't carry if I have to tuck in.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2019, 8:22 PM
vinny_land's Avatar
vinny_land vinny_land is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nomad - Bakersfield & Palm Desert
Posts: 2,931
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2suck View Post
Stupid question:

What's the best way to resolve the "bulge" of my belt while AIWB'ing a full-size double-stack frame?

I'm not a big guy: 5' 8" & 190 lb frame, no visible abs, but I also don't have any belly for camouflage (30" pants, Med shirt size).

I don't seem to have any issues with the firearm itself (FN 57) printing, but I've noticed that my t-shirts have a weird bulge where my holster pushes my pants out 2" further than my body.

Is the fix as simple as wearing longer and looser shirts?

Thanks for any help, signed an overly conscious newb.
I'm similar specs to OP however 5' 7'' and 145lbs. I appendix a G19 so not full size but almost there. Besides recommendations like bigger/looser shirt and the claw, a slimmer belt can help. You mentioned a Hanks belt however the thickness plus tbuckle might affect the "bulge". I considered going buckleless and went with a Blue Alpha Gear low-profile EDC Belt for AIWB carry. I reserve the Hanks for carrying 1911 platforms (not AIWB but behind the hip at 4 o'clock position). Very robust belt and I've gotten six of them through their LTP offerings. Haven't seen any bend/flex out of the lo-pro EDC belt yet (2 months so far) and considering buying their Hybrid EDC in the future.

Good luck and hope this info helps!!!

Vinny
__________________
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"


shuttlecock
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2019, 8:36 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,788
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2suck View Post


Do you have experience with buckle-less belts? How does the velcro hold up over long-term use? Do they maintain their length during a normal day of flexing and bending?
I only have experience with the inner belt of my Ronin Taskforce belt. Normally that rides with an outer belt over it but I have worn it solo for the better part of day and it did just fine. It didn't slip with a gun and mag attached to it. As for Velcro durability there is some variation depending on the quality the MFG has used. The better stuff lasts a good long while but all Velcro will eventually wear out. But if you stick with a good maker I'm sure you'll get a good few years out of it which isn't horrible for what will probably be a $25-$60 belt depending on what you get.

I have heard good things about these two belts but don't have any direct experience...

Dynamis
https://dynamisalliance.com/product-...apparel/belts/

Volund Gearworks Atlas G Hook Belt - Not that this one isn't completely buckle-less, but it's pretty minimalist. Certainly a much lower profile than most belts with buckles. Original SOE Gear makes a similar belt too. Just don't piss John (the owner) off when you order.
http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...hook-belt.html
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-17-2019, 8:44 PM
SoldierLife7's Avatar
SoldierLife7 SoldierLife7 is offline
The Super
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 2,246
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
I don’t AIWB....I do 3:30

BUT, I know this:

— IF you have a big belt buckle, you need to rotate it off the center....to the left for right handers.

you need a CLAW extension on your holster (or Bravo Concealment’s “Torsion” holster bend) to keep the grip end tucked into the body....big difference


.

I just discovered this a couple of weeks ago. Makes a huge difference!
__________________
___________

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-17-2019, 8:53 PM
Fizz's Avatar
Fizz Fizz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,220
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

5'8 and 190, 30 in waist sounds like you're a jacked mofo. Unless you have VERY strange fat distribution you're basically bodybuilder status for your height.

Pack it in between the muscles of your visible abs.

Real talk though, you're lean enough that anything will print on you. If the printing is that big an issue why not compact?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2019, 5:53 AM
SnWnMe's Avatar
SnWnMe SnWnMe is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The 951
Posts: 6,369
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I'm 5'10" 195 so I think we are of the same sleek build.

Move the gun to about 1400 to 1430 position, outboard of the front belt loop just over your pocket. This is what I do to my Glock 29. It prints a bit but my arm is always there so NBD.
__________________
Frank Da Tank
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2019, 9:14 AM
Fizz's Avatar
Fizz Fizz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,220
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I'm 5'10" 195 so I think we are of the same sleek build.

Move the gun to about 1400 to 1430 position, outboard of the front belt loop just over your pocket. This is what I do to my Glock 29. It prints a bit but my arm is always there so NBD.
Is there a difference between 1400/1430 to 0200/0230 for this purpose?

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 AM
SnWnMe's Avatar
SnWnMe SnWnMe is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The 951
Posts: 6,369
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Is there a difference between 1400/1430 to 0200/0230 for this purpose?





Yes. 1430 is when the Air Force starts working.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Frank Da Tank
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:35 AM
live2suck live2suck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Anacrime
Posts: 154
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spegull03 View Post
I have the same problem when trying to carry with a tucked in shirt. The gun itself is hidden but the belt and buckle look odd and you can't move the buckle off to the side. Haven't found a good solution so I usually don't carry if I have to tuck in.
Thankfully, as an engineer, expectations for my appearance are pretty low - I haven't tucked in a shirt unless I was wearing a suit in about a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
I'm similar specs to OP however 5' 7'' and 145lbs. I appendix a G19 so not full size but almost there. Besides recommendations like bigger/looser shirt and the claw, a slimmer belt can help. You mentioned a Hanks belt however the thickness plus tbuckle might affect the "bulge". I considered going buckleless and went with a Blue Alpha Gear low-profile EDC Belt for AIWB carry. I reserve the Hanks for carrying 1911 platforms (not AIWB but behind the hip at 4 o'clock position). Very robust belt and I've gotten six of them through their LTP offerings. Haven't seen any bend/flex out of the lo-pro EDC belt yet (2 months so far) and considering buying their Hybrid EDC in the future.

Good luck and hope this info helps!!!

Vinny
Thank you for the response - question for you:

What happens if you use your BAG EDC belt with your steel 1911?

The FN is stoopid light (especially compared a G19 with 15 rd mags), but the last thing I want is saggy pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
I only have experience with the inner belt of my Ronin Taskforce belt. Normally that rides with an outer belt over it but I have worn it solo for the better part of day and it did just fine. It didn't slip with a gun and mag attached to it. ...

I have heard good things about these two belts but don't have any direct experience...

Dynamis
https://dynamisalliance.com/product-...apparel/belts/

Volund Gearworks Atlas G Hook Belt - Not that this one isn't completely buckle-less, but it's pretty minimalist. Certainly a much lower profile than most belts with buckles. Original SOE Gear makes a similar belt too. Just don't piss John (the owner) off when you order.
http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...hook-belt.html
Thank you for sharing your and recommendations. I'm curious, how does one piss off an owner when attempting to pay him money in exchange for his prouct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
I just discovered this a couple of weeks ago. Makes a huge difference!
Thank you for the endorsement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
5'8 and 190, 30 in waist sounds like you're a jacked mofo. Unless you have VERY strange fat distribution you're basically bodybuilder status for your height.

Pack it in between the muscles of your visible abs.

Real talk though, you're lean enough that anything will print on you. If the printing is that big an issue why not compact?
LMAO - world's most awkwardly shaped pear.

Real talk, it's not the printing that's the issue, it's the triangular void of space above my belt where there's nothing to fill the shirt. Imagine a girl with a FUPA, but no belly overhanging it. I do have a G19, but I don't shoot it particularly well with the shortened grip length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I'm 5'10" 195 so I think we are of the same sleek build.

Move the gun to about 1400 to 1430 position, outboard of the front belt loop just over your pocket. This is what I do to my Glock 29. It prints a bit but my arm is always there so NBD.
I'll give it a try, but I'm thinking that's going to be too far out for my grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Is there a difference between 1400/1430 to 0200/0230 for this purpose?

I think that means I'm supposed to circle the gun around my waist one complete rotation before I set it in the holster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Yes. 1430 is when the Air Force starts working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll confirm with my cousin - he's a deadbeat C17 Pilot.
__________________
Treat every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it ...
PISS ON IT, and walk away.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Fizz's Avatar
Fizz Fizz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,220
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2suck View Post
I think that means I'm supposed to circle the gun around my waist one complete rotation before I set it in the holster.
While you're at it.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Erion929's Avatar
Erion929 Erion929 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So. Orange County, CA.
Posts: 4,099
iTrader: 65 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Is there a difference between 1400/1430 to 0200/0230 for this purpose?


Duh....one position is for daytime use, the other for night duty.

If you get ‘em mixed up, you’ll be drawing air....don’t be that guy

.
__________________
Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:58 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,788
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2suck View Post


Thank you for sharing your and recommendations. I'm curious, how does one piss off an owner when attempting to pay him money in exchange for his prouct?

John...the owner...is a bit of a character. He makes videos and calls out the customers that piss him off. Usually because they've been rude to him or his people. He does NOT subscribe to the notion of "the customer is always right." He's kinda like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. Just be polite and you'll be fine.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-19-2019, 5:01 AM
vinny_land's Avatar
vinny_land vinny_land is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nomad - Bakersfield & Palm Desert
Posts: 2,931
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2suck View Post
Thank you for the response - question for you:
What happens if you use your BAG EDC belt with your steel 1911?
When I appendix carry my DW CBoB, no issues with the BAG EDC low-pro belt. Haven't seen any deviation after the 2 months of use. The velcro on/off is kind of the week spot however I wanted a buckless belt and would seriously consider trying their Hybrid belt. I had a 5.11 webbing belt that had a liner and after long hours became uncomfortable - felt the polymer jab into my waist.
Have to admit sometimes I'm partial to using my Hanks belt with the 1911 still (leather and 1911 vs. webbing and polymer pistols). Holster combination is also key to maintain rigidity (I run a Bravo Concealment torsion with a single belt clip).
__________________
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"


shuttlecock
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-30-2019, 9:43 AM
SigSauerP226's Avatar
SigSauerP226 SigSauerP226 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Simi Valley
Posts: 267
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

It's been mentioned, but I rotate my belt and the claw definitely helps. Just don't over-tighten with the claw, at least mine became a little painful with my belt cinched down tight.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:57 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.