Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-29-2016, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTPete83 View Post
I am moving to Napa county from sitter county this next week. The wife and I both have current CCWs. I have had mine for 10+ years. What do I have to do to get one for Napa county.
So, you wait until 1 week before moving to your new residence to inquire about getting a CA CCW there? I guess having a CCW really isn't that important to you....

Quote:
Will be moving to American Canyon. Hoping for a miracle!!
Fortunately, since we have established that having a CA CCW isn't really that important to you, you won't mind learning that if you had moved just a couple miles south or a couple miles east of American Canyon, you'd be in Solano county where you would have good odds of getting a CA CCW vs Napa county where -- unless you regularly carry a lot of cash or other valuables on your job, etc -- it is hard for the average law-abiding resident to get a CCW.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 11-29-2016 at 3:56 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 6:47 PM

Renewed today, no muss no fuss. Thank you NCSD for a smooth professional team!

NRA Certified Pistol & Certified Rifle Instructor
CA DoJ Handgun Safety Certificate Certified Instructor
Utah Department of Public Safety Concealed Firearm Instructor
Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOPS View Post
Renewed today, no muss no fuss. Thank you NCSD for a smooth professional team!
Could you share w/us an idea of what your Good Cause was like, but not so much detail so as to ID yourself? (Do you regularly carry large amounts of cash from rent or other payments to deposit? Carry valuables (jewelry, gold coins, electronic equipment, pharmaceuticals) on your job?)

We want the maximum # of law-abiding CGNers who would qualify under the current standard to apply, but we do NOT want to waste their (and the SO's) time, money & effort in a futile attempt.

Old 12-11-2016, 7:25 PM

Default Napa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So, you wait until 1 week before moving to your new residence to inquire about getting a CA CCW there? I guess having a CCW really isn't that important to you....

Fortunately, since we have established that having a CA CCW isn't really that important to you, you won't mind learning that if you had moved just a couple miles south or a couple miles east of American Canyon, you'd be in Solano county where you would have good odds of getting a CA CCW vs Napa county where -- unless you regularly carry a lot of cash or other valuables on your job, etc -- it is hard for the average law-abiding resident to get a CCW.

Holy hell. I had no idea forum members were this rude. Not that it's any of your business, I was forced to relocate here for my job and had a total of 3 weeks to get moved. No choice in the county. I have taught Countless people to shoot and have even helped teach ccw classes where I used to live. So yes, having my ccw does mean a lot to me and my wife. I have already researched thoroughly the process in Napa but thought there may be some new info I hadn't come across yet. But don't worry about it man. Keep on being a dick to people who are fighting the same fights as you. No wonder we are losing here in California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by SVTPete83; 12-11-2016 at 7:27 PM..
Old 12-12-2016, 6:42 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll restrain myself and just deal with the relevant issues....

Quote:
I was forced to relocate here for my job and had a total of 3 weeks to get moved. No choice in the county.
So, your employer requires/demands that you live in Napa Co and says American Canyon is okay, but a couple more miles either east or south, putting you in Solano Co, is not okay?

Quote:
I have already researched thoroughly the process in Napa but thought there may be some new info I hadn't come across yet.
If you review the statewide issuance stats, Napa Co issues at a rate higher than expected (IIRC, higher than even Solano). So, if I were you, I'd still inquire with the SO and maybe even apply (if you can afford to waste the time, money, and effort involved). Of course, work out the best GC statement you can muster before making such inquiry.

Don't forget sheriffs are elected, so they make speeches and have Q&As locally. Be sure to attend and have prepared Qs to ask them re. CCWs and why they choose to be restrictive when Lake & Solano (local neighbors), Sacto (state capital), and Orange (3M pop.) counties all liberally issue and haven't had problems w/law-abiding citizens carrying guns. DO NOT let him off of the hook by saying he's "just following state law and the courts." B.S. Those other counties -- and the vast majority of CA counties -- are following the law and the courts AND are liberally issuing CCWs. Some gunnies/CGNers in other counties have organized to push their sheriff to issue CCWs (successfully in San Joaquin), and/or to push their incorporated cities' PDs to liberalize issuance (e.g., in process in San Diego county). ETA: Since the City of American Canyon contracts with the sheriff for police services (http://cityofamericancanyon.org/city-departments/police), you can't apply with them or push them to issue directly.

Hopefully, TACOPS will be back to post a reply to my request for more info re. his GC. That may let us know if anything's changed recently.

Good luck!

Last edited by Paladin; 12-12-2016 at 7:19 AM..
Old 12-12-2016, 7:05 AM

Quote:
I am moving to Napa county from sitter county this next week. The wife and I both have current CCWs. I have had mine for 10+ years. What do I have to do to get one for Napa county. Will be moving to American Canyon. Hoping for a miracle!!

You'll need to get in contact with the Sherriff's office, fill paperwork, interview, and shoot a qualification. Make sure your good cause statement is in line.

Because I live in Napa proper, I completed mine with the City of Napa Police department, but as I understand it, the process is very similar.
Old 12-12-2016, 7:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Holy hell. I had no idea forum members were this rude. Not that it's any of your business, I was forced to relocate here for my job and had a total of 3 weeks to get moved. No choice in the county. I have taught Countless people to shoot and have even helped teach ccw classes where I used to live. So yes, having my ccw does mean a lot to me and my wife. I have already researched thoroughly the process in Napa but thought there may be some new info I hadn't come across yet. But don't worry about it man. Keep on being a dick to people who are fighting the same fights as you. No wonder we are losing here.
If you think that was rude you might as well just leave the forums now. He was nowhere near the rude line. Your job dictated its location ' not where you choose to live. I appreciate you are in a sucky situation but you can make it better if you choose to. Also understand that a lot people answer the same questions over and over and over again without searching.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 12-12-2016, 7:52 AM

I submitted the standard State of California BOF 4012 (Rev. 11/2012) form. I also provided documentation relative to my training, instructor certs, other CCW's (past/present). My GC references personal protection and personally relevant information pertaining to my application. Be truthful, brief and to the point w/o hyperbole. NCSD was professional and helpful!

NRA Certified Pistol & Certified Rifle Instructor
CA DoJ Handgun Safety Certificate Certified Instructor
Utah Department of Public Safety Concealed Firearm Instructor
Old 12-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
If you think that was rude you might as well just leave the forums now. He was nowhere near the rude line. Your job dictated its location ' not where you choose to live. I appreciate you are in a sucky situation but you can make it better if you choose to. Also understand that a lot people answer the same questions over and over and over again without searching.
Thx for your support. When I saw the opening of "Holy hell" to reply to my post, I remembered that not all of us here were raised in a time when saying a boy was "sensitive" was considered an insult, not a compliment.

As the younger members may say, "Whatever."

I just say, March on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOPS View Post
I submitted the standard State of California BOF 4012 (Rev. 11/2012) form. I also provided documentation relative to my training, instructor certs, other CCW's (past/present). My GC references personal protection and personally relevant information pertaining to my application. Be truthful, brief and to the point w/o hyperbole. NCSD was professional and helpful!
Since GC is, for most of us, the insurmountable barrier to getting a CCW, could you elaborate on what you used but w/o going into so much detail as to ID yourself? IOW, are you a jewelry/gold coin dealer? a property manager who has to collect cash rent payments and make deposits at all hours of the day and night? a small business owner who has to make cash deposits at various times? someone who's job entails the use of highly valuable equipment that makes you a target for robbery? Does your wife have a restraining order against a psycho ex who's still bothering her?

Last edited by Paladin; 12-12-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-12-2016, 6:29 PM

Default Napa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I'll restrain myself and just deal with the relevant issues....

So, your employer requires/demands that you live in Napa Co and says American Canyon is okay, but a couple more miles either east or south, putting you in Solano Co, is not okay?

If you review the statewide issuance stats, Napa Co issues at a rate higher than expected (IIRC, higher than even Solano). So, if I were you, I'd still inquire with the SO and maybe even apply (if you can afford to waste the time, money, and effort involved). Of course, work out the best GC statement you can muster before making such inquiry.

Don't forget sheriffs are elected, so they make speeches and have Q&As locally. Be sure to attend and have prepared Qs to ask them re. CCWs and why they choose to be restrictive when Lake & Solano (local neighbors), Sacto (state capital), and Orange (3M pop.) counties all liberally issue and haven't had problems w/law-abiding citizens carrying guns. DO NOT let him off of the hook by saying he's "just following state law and the courts." B.S. Those other counties -- and the vast majority of CA counties -- are following the law and the courts AND are liberally issuing CCWs. Some gunnies/CGNers in other counties have organized to push their sheriff to issue CCWs (successfully in San Joaquin), and/or to push their incorporated cities' PDs to liberalize issuance (e.g., in process in San Diego county). ETA: Since the City of American Canyon contracts with the sheriff for police services (http://cityofamericancanyon.org/city-departments/police), you can't apply with them or push them to issue directly.

Hopefully, TACOPS will be back to post a reply to my request for more info re. his GC. That may let us know if anything's changed recently.

Good luck!

To the first question yes. My wife and I have the same employer and are both supervisors. We had to live in a very specific location so as not to work together. To the second answer. Thank you. That's what I was inquiring about. I'm not sensitive. Just calling it like I saw it. Probably like you were as well. Thanks to the others for the input. I'll let you know how it goes. I believe we have pretty good cause.

Old 12-20-2016, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Someone w/a contact in the Napa SO's CCW dept should pass along:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...121987214.html

Sacramento, San Bernardino, Fresno, Placer, and Monterey county SOs have now all gone online w/their CCW apps: initial and renewals. For Sac, this means only 1 apt for new apps and NO apts for renewals! Saves both sides time, expenses and effort.

Old 03-31-2017, 2:51 AM

Anybody with more recent experiences with Napa PD or the SO? Looking to move to the area as I start a new job in Napa next month.

Is NPD still requiring reference letters etc.? Any current info is helpful! Thanks.
Old 05-06-2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
Anybody with more recent experiences with Napa PD or the SO? Looking to move to the area as I start a new job in Napa next month.

Is NPD still requiring reference letters etc.? Any current info is helpful! Thanks.
Hoping to hear from anybody going through either NPD or the Napa Sheriffs office in the last 6-12 months.... Most housing is within the city of Napa with some options outside of town.
Old 05-07-2017, 2:54 PM

As I understand it from friends, Sgt. Hensley is still in charge of CCW applications in the City of Napa, so the process should be similar to prior reports.
Old 06-17-2017, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

If anyone in Napa Co wants to liberalize issuance of CCWs for that county, check out:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post20248170

The Grand Jury does the "heavy lifting" for you!

Old 07-15-2017, 3:06 PM

Any updates on this?
Old 07-15-2017, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksteady1 View Post
Any updates on this?
On what?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 PM

My being able to obtain a ccw if I move to Napa?
Old 07-18-2017, 1:13 PM

Is it just me or does it seem as though CCW holders in Napa County don't like to share information to help others obtain their licenses? The folks in the Solano County thread share all day.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think most/many of them hang out in the "707 Banter" thread in Off Topic forum. You might inquire there.

FWIW Napa SO issues at a higher rate than Solano SO, but the posters in this thread make it seem like they're restrictive, so who knows?

Bottom line: if you can afford to waste the time, money and effort involved with applying and getting denied, go for it. If not, then not.

Old 07-18-2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
As long as you have a reasonable cause and a clean record, I see no reason you would be denied. I had a nothing but positive experience in my application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpang View Post
Is it just me or does it seem as though CCW holders in Napa County don't like to share information to help others obtain their licenses? The folks in the Solano County thread share all day.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
I'm happy to share, without doxxing myself. Let me know your questions.
Old 07-19-2017, 3:08 PM

What are some acceptable good cause statements?

I have regular access to and administer pharmaceutical grade medication (fentanyl, versed, propofol, ativan, etc, etc.) at work. We have steps to prevent diversion, but the average joe on the street doesn't know that.

Given how easy it is to figure out where people work and live, would that be a reasonable good cause statement? I haven't been able to find a good house/property outside the city of Napa itself so I'll probably have to end up dealing with NPD.
Old 07-19-2017, 5:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter91 View Post
As long as you have a reasonable cause and a clean record, I see no reason you would be denied. I had a nothing but positive experience in my application.

I'm happy to share, without doxxing myself. Let me know your questions.
Go back and look at post #81 (the map). Do you agree with the color of Napa?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 07-19-2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:

I have regular access to and administer pharmaceutical grade medication (fentanyl, versed, propofol, ativan, etc, etc.) at work. We have steps to prevent diversion, but the average joe on the street doesn't know that.

Given how easy it is to figure out where people work and live, would that be a reasonable good cause statement? I haven't been able to find a good house/property outside the city of Napa itself so I'll probably have to end up dealing with NPD.
Any chance you have had any prior troubles with people causing you trouble regarding the narcotics you have access to? That would bolster your cause in my opinion.

Here's the problem, the system is subjective in its nature. The only thing people here can do is say what worked or didn't work for them or other people that they know. Our opinion of what is good or not is not exceedingly useful. We are not the people making the judgement.

That being said, I'm not sure why you feel that you don't want to deal with NPD, my experience was just fine. Just put together the best "good cause" you can think of, and give it a go. I don't think that Sgt. Hensley is obstructionist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Go back and look at post #81 (the map). Do you agree with the color of Napa?
I cannot comment on the statistics of the map. All I can tell you is that my experience was positive. Be sure to have your good cause statement in line and I think you should be good to go (assuming your record is clean).
Old 07-20-2017, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

nicky c, if you do apply with either (or both), NPD and NSO be sure to get back to us and let us know how things went, and in particular what your GC statement was like (but w/o so much detail as to ID you), and whether it was sufficient for them.

For ANYONE with the Napa County Sheriffs' Office or the City of Napa's Police Department: Why do we keep trying to figure out your Good Cause standard? Because we want EVERYONE who can meet it to apply & get a CCW. But we do not want to waste your department's time, money and effort or law-abiding applicants' time, money and effort by having people apply who have no chance of getting issued due to lack of Good Cause (as you define it). We're not trying to "game the system," we're just trying to help law-abiding people who want to exercise their 2nd Amendment right "to keep and bear arms."

Last edited by Paladin; 07-20-2017 at 4:09 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 2:07 PM

I'm certainly hoping to hear if someone was able to obtain a CCW through the city of Napa via a Self Defense GC with a clean record.
Old 07-20-2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity88 View Post
I'm certainly hoping to hear if someone was able to obtain a CCW through the city of Napa via a Self Defense GC with a clean record.
If I recall (it's been a couple of years now), the city has a statement in their application packet that self defense is not considered good cause.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:17 PM

Well that answers that.
Old 07-25-2017, 8:08 PM

I will update the thread with my experience. Probably won't be until later this year. I'm in the process of closing on a place in Napa at the moment; still need to pick up a shield and perhaps a glock 43 and then take a stab at the process...

I haven't had any run ins with bad guys or the law. Have a squeaky clean record and worked for a local sheriff's office on a top flight volunteer SAR team for about 10 years for a county right next door that will remain nameless since they are no issue to plebians...
Old 11-01-2017, 2:28 PM

I spoke with undersheriff Jean Donaldson prior to turning mine in...
He asked flat out right up front "why do you want a ccw?"

After the short line item answer that was 6-8 reasons long, could fill the better part of a page.

he said about the only reason they would issue was
"if a person carried large sums of cash around regularly"
Fwiw your mileage may vary

Last edited by clb; 02-05-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post

After the short line item answer that was 6-8 reasons long, could fill the better part of a page.

Fwiw your mileage may varry
Your experience sounds quite different from post #101 above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter91 View Post

Old 11-02-2017, 12:37 PM

Post 101 was however a city resident
Old 11-02-2017, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Post 101 was however a city resident

Old 11-03-2017, 4:33 AM

I have a saying....
If that's the worst thing that happens today I will be fine
Old 11-17-2017, 8:32 PM

Hey guys, if you're interested in a Napa County CCW, I recently did my interview. Wasn't too bad at all. Undersheriff Donaldson seems like a pretty good guy, and appears very pro-ccw. Send me a PM, and I'll happily go over the details with you.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -Ronald Reagan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-17-2017, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSkyhawk72 View Post
Hey guys, if you're interested in a Napa County CCW, I recently did my interview. Wasn't too bad at all. Undersheriff Donaldson seems like a pretty good guy, and appears very pro-ccw. Send me a PM, and I'll happily go over the details with you.
The $64,000 question is what passes for Good Cause.

AFTER you get a CA CCW from them, please give us a rough idea of your GC, but without sufficient detail that would ID you.

While the Napa Co SO numbers are relatively good (for the SFBA), their website is rather pathetic re. CCWs. Most SOs are transitioning from having downloadable CCW policy and apps online to paperless, online applications. But Napa SO doesn't mention CCWs on their homepage: http://www.countyofnapa.org/sheriff/

Doesn't mention them on their FAQs page:
http://www.countyofnapa.org/Pages/De...?id=4294969102

and only mentions them briefly in the middle of a paragraph at under their Records Bureau webpage:
http://www.countyofnapa.org/Pages/De...?id=4294969395

To me, how an Issuing Agency deals with CCWs on their website is an indication of how pro-CCW they really are. (It is indicative, but not determinative.)

Don't get me wrong: if they're getting more comfortable and catching up with the times and issuing CCWs more liberally, GREAT! I'd LOVE to justifiably say Napa Co SO has gone "light green" (or, ideally, "dark green"). But only time, and issuance stats, will tell.

If they happen to read this, be sure to check out my examples of CCWs saving lives linked in my sig line. (I continue the examples on the 2nd page of the thread.) We really are our own "Immediate Responders."

Last edited by Paladin; 11-17-2017 at 9:57 PM..
Old 11-17-2017, 9:57 PM

Call him up, he's a very approachable and friendly person. I'm sure he'll happily tell you what his GC guidelines are.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -Ronald Reagan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSkyhawk72 View Post
Call him up, he's a very approachable and friendly person. I'm sure he'll happily tell you what his GC guidelines are.
As far as me, personally, I'm in Ala Co. I just do this to help law-abiding folk to get CCWs when they can and to not waste their (and the SO's) time, money and effort applying when they can't.

FWIW, here's another Napa Co SO applicant's post from 2017 Nov 01. Donaldson told them a very restrictive standard for GC (emphasis added below):

Quote:

Fwiw your mileage may varry
ETA: I should mention that unless you consider the amount of cash pizza delivery guys carry with them a "large sum", I can't recall more than a handful, if that, CCWers in my 220+ incidents who "carried large sums of cash around regularly." Similarly, only a handful, if that, had a restraining order against the person who attacked them. IOW, requiring those as GC means most people who will be victimized in Napa Co will not be able to get a CCW to protect themselves. IOW, having those as your standard for GC is irrational.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-18-2017 at 1:54 PM..
Old 01-02-2018, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone know if anyone is challenging Sheriff John R. Robertson in the June election?

FWIW it looks like they've overhauled their website. I challenge anyone to find info re. CCWs in less than 5 minutes. I found it but only because I was familiar with where they hide it, having searched for it before.

https://www.countyofnapa.org/sheriff/

Old 01-03-2018, 7:58 AM

I cannot find any info. On this, as yet.

+1 on them burrying the ccw links.
I made a call and trip into the office , to get my app.
Could not find a download.