Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-10-2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
With that said, would it be better for me to apply to LAPD (my city doesn't have a local PD) or LASO?
If you don't reside within the city of Los Angeles, applying to LAPD is not an option.

If you live within an incorporated city, you have two potential Chief law Enforcement Officers (CLEOs) to whom you may apply. 1) The Chief of Police for your city, 2) The Sheriff of the county in which you reside.

Since your city doesn't have a local PD, I'm presuming that they are an LA County Sheriff's Department (LASD) Contract City...in that case your only option is to apply to the county.

Technically there are 'non-resident' permits which you can get beyond those, but there are no known instances of them being issued...and even if they were, they are only good in that jurisdiction and only good for 90 days.
Old 12-10-2013, 4:21 PM

I should clarify that I live in an incorporated city (canoga park) with a local LAPD station. I assumed that since we had a local station we fell under LAPD jurisdiction.
Old 12-10-2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
I should clarify that I live in an incorporated city (canoga park) with a local LAPD station. I assumed that since we had a local station we fell under LAPD jurisdiction.
Canoga Park is not a city - its simply a 'named neighborhood' within the City of Los Angeles. Similar examples are Northridge, Hollywood, or Toluca Lake.

So, you do indeed have two options LAPD and LASD.

FYI, LASD has an illegal practice of requiring that you apply to your city PD before applying to the Sheriff.
Old 12-11-2013, 1:00 PM
Banned

there are already three "test" cases pending against LASD, one against Torrance and one against LAPD on their good cause standard in the 9th Circuit. You should apply to LAPD, get denied, apply to LASD, get denied and then sue. It gets you to the front of the line worse case. Best case it adds pressure.
Old 12-22-2013, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Any one know if the city of West Covina will grant CCW's?

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 01-14-2014, 1:11 PM

So now that Lu v Baca is a win for us, when should we begin applying?

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 01-14-2014, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cable Guy View Post
So now that Lu v Baca is a win for us, when should we begin applying?
Curious as well, how this raises our odds of actually getting a CCW. So now we'll just be rejected by Lee Baca.

more info here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...545848&page=16

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." --Huey P. Newton

Last edited by robear; 01-14-2014 at 1:59 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobler View Post
Any one know if the city of West Covina will grant CCW's?
I would like to know that also..since I live in covina.
Old 01-14-2014, 2:15 PM
Calguns Addict

You do know that Covina and West Covina are separate, right?

AFAIK, neither issues though I'd love to proven wrong.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 01-14-2014, 2:16 PM
GM of Inconsistency
CGN Contributor

Yes same here I would like to know as well...
Old 01-14-2014, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

My local pd contracts LASD. Happy for the win though, at least we are making progress. So should we still wait to apply? I wish I lived in San Bernadino County.
Old 01-14-2014, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Well with this win today I guess I need not apply to WC. Although can a city Chief issue even though the verdict was the LASD must accept apps?

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 01-14-2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobler View Post
Well with this win today I guess I need not apply to WC. Although can a city Chief issue even though the verdict was the LASD must accept apps?
I think the big thing was that LASD was not accepting applications for people who had their own City PD. The ruling as far as I can tell, makes it so that the LASD must accept applications from residents in cities despite the city having their own police department.

So even if people can now apply directly to LASD without dealing with a denial from their local PD, they will simply get denied by the LASD like the rest of us.

That being said, Baca is on the way out, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Canoga Park is not a city - its simply a 'named neighborhood' within the City of Los Angeles. Similar examples are Northridge, Hollywood, or Toluca Lake.

So, you do indeed have two options LAPD and LASD.

FYI, LASD has an illegal practice of requiring that you apply to your city PD before applying to the Sheriff.
Excuse me for being uninformed, I've never attempted to obtain a CCW, as I was aware that Baca wouldn't even accept apps.
But being a resident of Hollywood, does this mean I can just apply to the Hollywood Police Captain? Or do I still have to go through Baca?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRen View Post
Excuse me for being uninformed, I've never attempted to obtain a CCW, as I was aware that Baca wouldn't even accept apps.
But being a resident of Hollywood, does this mean I can just apply to the Hollywood Police Captain? Or do I still have to go through Baca?
As a resident of the City of Los Angeles (Hollywood is a 'named neighborhood' of LA City) which is within the County of Los Angeles; you have two issuing authorities available to you. LAPD and LASD.

LAPD Website
LASD Website
Old 01-15-2014, 2:41 PM

Awesome. Thanks
Old 01-20-2014, 3:19 PM

I too am curious about how this will affect us. I'd love nothing more than to have my CCW.

It would be awesome if someone more in the know could spearhead what we expect to see, list the candidates, and organize some grassroots campaigning for the sheriff that we need to get elected. I'm not even sure when that election would take place.

Does anyone know if we will have an interim Sheriff?
Old 01-26-2014, 7:36 PM

Bump for further information. I will wait for the retire of Baca, then see what's going on next.
Old 01-29-2014, 9:01 AM

I finalized my application the end of last year, and the response is what most would characterize as typical for LA County.

My application was most likely the most perfect application that they have ever received as judged by my background, my business, my deposits for the business and for our church, and the ancillary materials that go along with it (As well as history of CCW, 15 years in UT and 1 in both NV and FL) except that I didn't have an active threat against my life. Even had a character reference from the current chairman of the armed services committee in congress.

Their response is that in order to qualify I must have a specific threat to my life, issued by a specific person, who has a pattern of behavior that illustrates they are likely to carry out that threat.

I would be willing to be the test case, but I don't have the money to do so. I was notified that there is no appeal process for LASD.

Was hoping that with a new sheriff I could have them re-open the application, but I don't know anything about John Scott. One would think that in a time of transition like we are in we could gain some ground, YMMV.

I have looked down the barrel of a gun. I will never forget living by the grace of the criminal who held it.
Old 01-29-2014, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGryphon View Post
I finalized my application the end of last year, and the response is what most would characterize as typical for LA County.

My application was most likely the most perfect application that they have ever received as judged by my background, my business, my deposits for the business and for our church, and the ancillary materials that go along with it (As well as history of CCW, 15 years in UT and 1 in both NV and FL) except that I didn't have an active threat against my life. Even had a character reference from the current chairman of the armed services committee in congress.

Their response is that in order to qualify I must have a specific threat to my life, issued by a specific person, who has a pattern of behavior that illustrates they are likely to carry out that threat.

I would be willing to be the test case, but I don't have the money to do so. I was notified that there is no appeal process for LASD.

Was hoping that with a new sheriff I could have them re-open the application, but I don't know anything about John Scott. One would think that in a time of transition like we are in we could gain some ground, YMMV.
We're still waiting for the 9th Circuit & Richards / Peruta cases....
Old 01-29-2014, 3:48 PM

Does anyone know anything about John Scott?
Old 01-31-2014, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraybs View Post
Does anyone know anything about John Scott?
I was wondering the same thing. Could this be an opportunity to apply? Probably not - I suspect he'll not process any applications and let whoever wins the election deal with them.
Old 02-03-2014, 7:43 AM

The silly part though is that if he wants to, he can remain in office until December. He doesn't have to give it up right after the election this summer. He, for all intents and purposes, is our sheriff. They call him interim, but they couldn't remove him if they wanted to.

Does anyone know anything about his policies when he was in O.C.?
Old 02-12-2014, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraybs View Post
The silly part though is that if he wants to, he can remain in office until December. He doesn't have to give it up right after the election this summer. He, for all intents and purposes, is our sheriff. They call him interim, but they couldn't remove him if they wanted to.

Does anyone know anything about his policies when he was in O.C.?
I have no idea. He's probably going to be in for 10 months. He could refuse to process applications during that time. Does anyone know what the legal recourse is for that? Maybe this is a good time for lawsuits? He's going to have to process renewals during this time.
Old 02-12-2014, 2:25 PM
Banned

The undersheriff handles that within lasd so likely business as usual.
Old 02-12-2014, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonwall View Post
The undersheriff handles that within lasd so likely business as usual.
One thing I can say it is worth doing some PRARs over the next couple of months to see if he is receiving applications and what he is doing with them. By law he has 90 days to respond, although if he refuses to follow the law, I'm not sure what recourse there is, if any.

I will certainly do some PRARs to see if anything is happening in this area. Certainly he's processing renewals; he basically has to. Very likely someone in LA will be applying, or he is processing new LTCs for certain classes of people (judges). If he processes judges' LTCs and refuses to process ordinary peoples LTCs, that might also open up some issue with unequal treatment.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

With the Peruta decision coming down, I think its time to look into applying again. I'm a Cerritos resident, which I believe means I'll ultimately have to go through Baca for the approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Los Angeles County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here
Looks like the original link is broken? I poked around some and the page looks not complete for LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 02-13-2014, 3:46 PM

Time to apply? In two weeks?

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." --Huey P. Newton
Old 02-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Holding off here until I get feedback from those who are bold enough to apply now. Personally don't need a denial while the dust is settling.

If it bleeds, we can kill it... Dutch

(I need) Guns. Lots of guns... Neo
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Posted on Olmsted's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/OlmstedInstead):

"As your Sheriff, the LASD will honor the courts decision and adhere to state law, accepting applications directly without altering the qualifications for granting CCW's."

And it only has 17 "likes"! Let's change that!

Old 02-15-2014, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG8 View Post
Posted on Olmsted's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/OlmstedInstead):

"As your Sheriff, the LASD will honor the courts decision and adhere to state law, accepting applications directly without altering the qualifications for granting CCW's."

And it only has 17 "likes"! Let's change that!
When he states... "As your Sheriff I will honor the 9th Circuit Court's Ruling on the Rights Confirmed by the 2nd Amendment and issue to all Citizens... " then maybe I'll go on his Facebook page

Until then, I don't believe the words suggest any change in the Department's intent, regardless of them being required to accept the applications.
Old 02-15-2014, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
For reference:

Villaretardo in action.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Clan of the Hunt's
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGunner View Post
When he states... "As your Sheriff I will honor the 9th Circuit Court's Ruling on the Rights Confirmed by the 2nd Amendment and issue to all Citizens... " then maybe I'll go on his Facebook page

Until then, I don't believe the words suggest any change in the Department's intent, regardless of them being required to accept the applications.
I don't think you'll ever see a Sheriff state they will issue to ALL citizens. I wouldn't want ALL citizens to be issued a CCW. I'm referring to the criminal citizens here.....

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -Albert Einstein
Old 02-15-2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGunner View Post

I hear you, but from what I can ascertain, Olmsted is our best option at this point for L.A. County.

I think the final result of Peruta will be a deciding factor. But if the latest ruling stands, then I'd still feel (relatively) more confident applying through an Olmsted-led LASD than Beck's LAPD.

Old 02-16-2014, 9:12 PM

I think im late to the party but did I hear right that soon we can apply for CCWP? Just anted to know when will be a good time to apply and if everything is realy said and done or we still have to wait.
Old 02-18-2014, 3:39 PM

Default Firearm safety class (CCW, SFV)

What type of class is the right class for a CCW application and are there any places in San Fernando valley to take such a class? Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 5:39 PM

Check with the county sheriff's office to see what training is required to qualify for a CCW.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:48 AM

Default LASD CCW Info

Just spoke with the CCW coordinator Jocelyn at LASD. They are not approving CCW at this time without "Clear and Present danger". They are ignoring the ruling for San Diego County as it "Does not apply to them".

I have looked down the barrel of a gun. I will never forget living by the grace of the criminal who held it.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGryphon View Post
Just spoke with the CCW coordinator Jocelyn at LASD. They are not approving CCW at this time without "Clear and Present danger". They are ignoring the ruling for San Diego County as it "Does not apply to them".
We'll if everything goes our way, they won't have an option.