Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-08-2019, 7:17 PM

Lots of interesting info in this thread and varying takes on the process... I just received word back recently that the application was accepted and was told to take my class and schedule an interview. Anyone who’s completed the interview with SLO SO have any tips on what to prepare for? I know there’s a new undersheriff as of 2019 so I’m sure nobody has sat with him yet. Thanks.!

Last edited by BakeTownFF; 01-08-2019 at 7:45 PM.. Reason: Removed needless info
Old 01-08-2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeTownFF View Post
Lots of interesting info in this thread and varying takes on the process... I just received word back recently that the application was accepted and was told to take my class and schedule an interview. Anyone whoís completed the interview with SLO SO have any tips on what to prepare for? I know thereís a new undersheriff as of 2019 so Iím sure nobody has sat with him yet. Thanks.!
They told you to take your class before the interview? And then if they deny you you are out the couple hundred for thr class?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
They told you to take your class before the interview? And then if they deny you you are out the couple hundred for thr class?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The email said the class must be completed before the interview. Not sure about the class but Iím almost positive they would not reimburse.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Anybody know if:

Grover Beach is set to auto-deny

and

If having existing CHLs from both TX and FL is helpful?
Old 01-13-2019, 8:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Lots of interesting info in this thread and varying takes on the process... I just received word back recently that the application was accepted and was told to take my class and schedule an interview. Anyone who’s completed the interview with SLO SO have any tips on what to prepare for? I know there’s a new undersheriff as of 2019 so I’m sure nobody has sat with him yet. Thanks.!
Your application was "accepted" or was your Good Cause approved? It is illegal for them to require pay of any other fees (e.g., training costs), before they tell you whether your Good Cause was approved or not. But, of course, just because they're law enforcement officers don't expect them to obey the law....

Librarian knows the exact code. PM him for details to protest, if they have that illegal requirement. If they do, you might want to contact their County Council on your own, might have to threaten getting the courts involved by requesting a judge to issue a writ of mandamus ordering them to change their CCW policy to conform to state law.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 01-14-2019 at 8:26 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mikado View Post
Anybody know if:

Grover Beach is set to auto-deny

and

If having existing CHLs from both TX and FL is helpful?
What did you find out by looking around their PD's website? By contacting them via their Facebook page? By dropping by the PD and picking up a copy of their CCW Policy? They're required to have a written policy by law. PM Librarian if they resist and you need to cite the code or have a judge issue a writ of mandamus ordering them to obey the law.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-14-2019 at 8:28 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 AM

I havenít looked at the website. Iím just trying to find out if anyone has had any experience with Grover Beach.
Old 01-14-2019, 3:25 PM

OK, I went by GBPD (they have nothing on their website) and asked for an application. I asked the desk person (non-sworn) if GB was set to auto-deny and she said no, they are "friendly" to CCW applications.

The application still requires a GC, of course, so they aren't THAT friendly.

Still, though: anyone get a CCW from Grover Beach?
Old 01-14-2019, 5:14 PM

Talking

Quote:
Lots of interesting info in this thread and varying takes on the process... I just received word back recently that the application was accepted and was told to take my class and schedule an interview. Anyone whoís completed the interview with SLO SO have any tips on what to prepare for? I know thereís a new undersheriff as of 2019 so Iím sure nobody has sat with him yet. Thanks.!
BakeTownÖ you might want to go back and reread the letter from the SLO County Sheriff's Office. If it says that "we have reviewed and tentatively APPROVED your application", it means that your good cause was ACCEPTED and you just need to qualify and schedule an interview. The hard work is over and in my experience, the interview was nothing to worry about. The undersheriff wanted to stress the need to be a good witness when necessary and also inquired about how I was going to carry my firearms. Mr. Olivas was great but I have no details on the current undersheriff. Hope this helps!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM

I just recently went through the process with SLO SO and it was incredibly user friendly and efficient. From initial application to my permit being issued only took 5 weeks. I believe this would have been even faster but I had to resubmit my letters of reference because they were not signed or dated.

I was contacted halfway through the process and asked to take my training class before my interview. I had not received any information about pre approval but took the class anyway. The interview seemed like I was basically already approved and it was more informative in nature. We discussed permit restrictions regarding places of carry and a few scenario based questions. There was a large emphasis on the permit being for my protection and to be a good witness for others.

I did my livescan after my appointment and had an email stating my permit had been approved and issued only two days later.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travismate View Post
I just recently went through the process with SLO SO and it was incredibly user friendly and efficient. From initial application to my permit being issued only took 5 weeks. I believe this would have been even faster but I had to resubmit my letters of reference because they were not signed or dated.

I was contacted halfway through the process and asked to take my training class before my interview. I had not received any information about pre approval but took the class anyway. The interview seemed like I was basically already approved and it was more informative in nature. We discussed permit restrictions regarding places of carry and a few scenario based questions. There was a large emphasis on the permit being for my protection and to be a good witness for others.

I did my livescan after my appointment and had an email stating my permit had been approved and issued only two days later.
Congrats! Mind stating where you live, generally? Rural, in town, which town?

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 01-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Congrats! Mind stating where you live, generally? Rural, in town, which town?
In town unincorporated north county
Old 01-26-2019, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats!!!

Quote:
I just recently went through the process with SLO SO and it was incredibly user friendly and efficient. From initial application to my permit being issued only took 5 weeks.
That quickness deserves a party of its own.

Quote:
I believe this would have been even faster but I had to resubmit my letters of reference because they were not signed or dated.
How many letters? Are those required to be from SLO Co residents?

Quote:
There was a large emphasis on the permit being for my protection and to be a good witness for others.
Hate to say it, but given what even cops go through after a "good shoot", and they've got a union and insurance backing them up, it makes sense "not to get involved." Just figure,they're adults and they probably chose not to even try applying. That's their bed that they get to sleep in. If something goes bad with you attempting to bail their tails out, will they pay for your lawyers? for your medical/surgical/rehab/disability/etc? I HIGHLY doubt it!

I don't know if I could just sit there and record little kids or women getting seriously injured, though....

Private Message (PM) sent.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-26-2019 at 9:47 PM..
Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM

That's why I intend to get insurance.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 PM

For the stats.....co worker just picked up his initial permit from SO. Four weeks start to finish.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Congratulations to your co-worker.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
A co worker just got his permit. His interview was with the volunteer, not the US. Just reiterate you are not a citizen cop back up or armed first responder or vigilante. Prepare for them to deny you just to test your reaction. I know two that were denied at the interview. One thanked them for their time and was professional, only for them to tell him they were testing him and he passed. The other guy freaked. No permit for you.

Last edited by RumT; 01-28-2019 at 10:09 PM..
Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecatt View Post
Congratulations to your co-worker.
I was more excited to hear of the four week timeline. I was almost seven months.
Old 01-29-2019, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumT View Post
For the stats.....co worker just picked up his initial permit from SO. Four weeks start to finish.
Do they live in a city with its own PD or not?

Old 01-29-2019, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A co worker just got his permit. His interview was with the volunteer, not the US. Just reiterate you are not a citizen cop back up or armed first responder or vigilante.
What?!! You mean I've memorized all these great lines for nothing?

Quote:
Prepare for them to deny you just to test your reaction. I know two that were denied at the interview. One thanked them for their time and was professional, only for them to tell him they were testing him and he passed. The other guy freaked. No permit for you.

Cops ... don't you just love 'em.

I'd be hard pressed not to mutter "Son of a b----" under my breath.

Old 01-31-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Do they live in a city with its own PD or not?
He was first denied in his local municipality and recommended to apply to county. Then in the middle of applying to county, he bought a house in unincorporated county.
Old 01-31-2019, 6:42 PM

Default If you don't drink while carrying then you're fine but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronob View Post
I'm one of the many alcohol business owners in the county. I carry large sums of cash and possess high-valuable assets at my place of business (alcohol and the equipment used to make it). My business is also located in the county, not within incorporated city limits. I understand that some(?) county's CCW permits state that you cannot consume alcohol or carry in a bar. Does this expand further and prohibit me from carrying in 1) places that manufacture alcohol and/or 2) a tasting room? If so, will the sheriff just reject me (either because it's illegal or they just plain don't like the idea of it) or could I make the case that I only carry when outside of my business going to the bank and such? Does anyone have any advice for me?
You really should not take ANY legal advice from ANYONE on this site. Call the Under Sheriff. You will most likely get their VM but they will call you back.
Having said that...I go into bars carrying all the time when I pick up my to go order on my way home from work. Did so tonight actually. Obviously you should not sit at the bar and much less have "just one beer". If someone cannot forgo alcohol while carrying then they shouldn't have a CCW.
Since your job puts you in places that serve alcohol (I'm going to assume that you do not drink on the job) then I am willing to bet the Under Sheriff will say you're fine to carry there. But again do not listen to me and ask him. Please let us know the outcome.
Old 02-14-2019, 4:15 PM

Got the final approval notice today, originally applied December 20, 2018. Was notified the application was approved and to take classes January 8, 2019, wasn’t able to get class until February 5, so I scheduled interview February 12. Received notice today February 14 saying the permit will be issued and wait for a call to come pick it up. The process was easy online, fast and efficient on the county’s end too. The slowest part of the whole procedure was the lack of classes and time to take them in SLO. Anyway, overall a smooth process I’d say as long as your good cause can pass muster.
Old 02-15-2019, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Got the final approval notice today, originally applied December 20, 2018. Was notified the application was approved and to take classes January 8, 2019, wasnít able to get class until February 5, so I scheduled interview February 12. Received notice today February 14 saying the permit will be issued and wait for a call to come pick it up. The process was easy online, fast and efficient on the countyís end too. The slowest part of the whole procedure was the lack of classes and time to take them in SLO. Anyway, overall a smooth process Iíd say as long as your good cause can pass muster.
So, do you live in a SLO Co city with it's own PD or not?

Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause, but without so much detail as to ID yourself? (e.g., name your business' industry, but not your business)

Old 02-15-2019, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So, do you live in a SLO Co city with it's own PD or not?

Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause, but without so much detail as to ID yourself? (e.g., name your business' industry, but not your business)
Iím just outside of Paso Robles, paso address but SLO county jurisdiction. I come into contact with a lot of gangmembers, drug addicts etc for work out of the county. Additionally I carry large sums of cash after events for a non profit. Feel free to PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Iím just outside of Paso Robles, paso address but SLO county jurisdiction. I come into contact with a lot of gangmembers, drug addicts etc for work out of the county. Additionally I carry large sums of cash after events for a non profit. Feel free to PM.
Thanks. You'd probably get issued even under light red, if they're square dealing.

Old 03-09-2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
In town unincorporated north county
As usual, SLO Sheriff applies one set of rules for incorporated city limits, and another for their own jurisdiction...
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
As usual, SLO Sheriff applies one set of rules for incorporated city limits, and another for their own jurisdiction...
That much is clear. Move to north county, out of city limits, and you'll get your CCW.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Got the final approval notice today, originally applied December 20, 2018. Was notified the application was approved and to take classes January 8, 2019, wasn’t able to get class until February 5, so I scheduled interview February 12. Received notice today February 14 saying the permit will be issued and wait for a call to come pick it up. The process was easy online, fast and efficient on the county’s end too. The slowest part of the whole procedure was the lack of classes and time to take them in SLO. Anyway, overall a smooth process I’d say as long as your good cause can pass muster.
Does anyone know how long the wait usually is from the SLOSO after you were approved and just waiting for the fingerprints to come back to pick up your permit?
Old 03-16-2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoguy14 View Post
Does anyone know how long the wait usually is from the SLOSO after you were approved and just waiting for the fingerprints to come back to pick up your permit?
I was told some crazy number like 14 weeks, but got a call 2 days later to come pick it up.
Old 03-21-2019, 5:38 AM
Veteran Member

If I recall, my whole process was about 5 weeks. Most of that time was waiting on the live scan which at the time was about 10-12 days. I am in rural north county too.
Old 03-21-2019, 7:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mikado View Post
OK, I went by GBPD (they have nothing on their website) and asked for an application. I asked the desk person (non-sworn) if GB was set to auto-deny and she said no, they are "friendly" to CCW applications.

The application still requires a GC, of course, so they aren't THAT friendly.

Still, though: anyone get a CCW from Grover Beach?
Chief Peters does indeed issue LTC.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM

I live in Arroyo Grande. Submitted my CCW application around 1/1. Recently picked up my permit so it took about 2 1/2 months from start to finish.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Meant 3 1/2 months not 2 1/2 months.
Old 03-23-2019, 2:49 PM

My whole prorecess for North County Rural was around 4 weeks and the finger printing check took 5 days. Everyone was super nice and friendly !
Old 03-28-2019, 3:45 PM

I had the same experience as Morbius. North County unincorporated res. SO was good at all levels.