Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-25-2016, 7:03 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramdiesel View Post
Stopped off at UPS store that does livescan in Roseville that was able to do walk in
Wish I'd known that... I lost a month because I did it at Rocklin PD where they had a 2 week waitlist and I had to cancel my first appointment

Old 05-25-2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Wish I'd known that... I lost a month because I did it at Rocklin PD where they had a 2 week waitlist and I had to cancel my first appointment
Here is part of the email sent:

Please do not respond to this email as this address is not checked.

We have received your application for a concealed-carry weapon license!

NEW CCW APPLICANTS ONLY

If your application was for a NEW CCW LICENSE, please read the following:

To expedite the approval process, we recommend you get your LiveScan completed at your earliest opportunity. Please download our LiveScan form. For appointments at the Placer County Headquarters download the following form .......
Old 05-26-2016, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtywarrior View Post
My timeline
03/02/16 Initial Interview
03/07/16 Livescan
05/25/16 Notified of approval
05/27/16 Appointment for pickup
That's not a bad turn around time!
Old 05-28-2016, 8:37 AM

Finally picked up my LTC yesterday!!!

Timeline:

- Interview on 2/11, CCW class completed prior

- Livescan a couple of days later

- Phone call on 5/14...DOJ had no record of two of the three qualified pistols.
I elected to take them off of the application to expedite LTC issuance.

- Received email on 5/26 that LTC was ready for pick up.

- Picked up on 5/27. A 5 minute process that included 3 thumb prints, 3 signatures and $80.00 payment.

- Date of issuance is 5/13, so it looks like a couple of weeks waiting for Sheriff's signature.

Just FYI, I went in at around 10:00 and there was a pretty steady wait of 3 or so good citizens in line. Looked like the lady processing the permits had a stack of a couple of dozen folders/permits waiting for pick up.
Old 05-28-2016, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHann View Post

Finally picked up my LTC yesterday!!!

Timeline:

- Interview on 2/11, CCW class completed prior

- Livescan a couple of days later

- Phone call on 5/14...DOJ had no record of two of the three qualified pistols.

I elected to take them off of the application to expedite LTC issuance.

- Received email on 5/26 that LTC was ready for pick up.

- Picked up on 5/27. A 5 minute process that included 3 thumb prints, 3 signatures and $80.00 payment.

- Date of issuance is 5/13, so it looks like a couple of weeks waiting for Sheriff's signature.

Just FYI, I went in at around 10:00 and there was a pretty steady wait of 3 or so good citizens in line. Looked like the lady processing the permits had a stack of a couple of dozen folders/permits waiting for pick up.

Congrats!

Well played.

You can always add pistols later...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM

So I have a M&P shield on my (pending) CCW. I have an apex nopro loaded chamber indicator installed on it, does anyone know if this will be a problem with placer county? From what I understand, you are not allowed to change anything that changes the mechanical function of the firearm. But would that fall under that category even though it serves no functional purpose?
Old 05-31-2016, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnier View Post
So I have a M&P shield on my (pending) CCW. I have an apex nopro loaded chamber indicator installed on it, does anyone know if this will be a problem with placer county? From what I understand, you are not allowed to change anything that changes the mechanical function of the firearm. But would that fall under that category even though it serves no functional purpose?
You need to call and ask them. Even if one of us tells you "yes" or "no", you'll want to be on the record for having cleared it with them first.

I changed out my recoil spring & guide rod to heavier ones, because my pistol wasn't cycling correctly with the factory ones. Sheriff said "that's fine, we just don't want you making major changes like lighter triggers and such". Your mileage may vary, I highly recommend you get an answer directly from them.

Old 05-31-2016, 1:48 PM

Quote:
You need to call and ask them. Even if one of us tells you "yes" or "no", you'll want to be on the record for having cleared it with them first.

I changed out my recoil spring & guide rod to heavier ones, because my pistol wasn't cycling correctly with the factory ones. Sheriff said "that's fine, we just don't want you making major changes like lighter triggers and such". Your mileage may vary, I highly recommend you get an answer directly from them.
Will do! Thanks
Old 06-06-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
explicitly mentioned that you can only modify/add "sights" and "grips", so the implied assumption is that any other mods that arent sights or grips will not be ok

https://www.placer.ca.gov/department...ermits/weapons
Old 06-06-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
explicitly mentioned that you can only modify/add "sights" and "grips", so the implied assumption is that any other mods that arent sights or grips will not be ok

Ya, but as I've mentioned, call PCSO and ask them. There's a fair chance they'll say it's fine. They may not, also. If they say yes, try to get their statement documented somehow in case it comes up later. They told me "no problem" with regards to a putting in a heavier recoil spring in my Glock 29, after I explained that it's a jam-o-matic with the cheap factory spring and defensive ammo.

I think the spirit of their rule is that they don't want you messing around with the barrel, trigger, screwing around with aftermarket slides and lightweight parts and whatnot. I don't think they really care though, for the most part, if the modification has a legit purpose besides just being tacticool. But better to call and check than to take my word for it.

Last edited by CandG; 06-06-2016 at 10:43 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post

Isn't it the instructor that you qualify with who is inspecting the weapon and not the Sheriff? That was the case for me at least. I know what the website says but I don't believe the SO is inspecting weapons that are on permits, at least not as part of their normal procedure.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2016, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle21 View Post
Isn't it the instructor that you qualify with who is inspecting the weapon and not the Sheriff? That was the case for me at least. I know what the website says but I don't believe the SO is inspecting weapons that are on permits, at least not as part of their normal procedure.

Yes, you are not even allowed to bring your weapon with you to the Sheriff's office. I should reiterate that for all the readers here, DO NOT bring your weapon(s) with you to the Sheriff's office! That's a guaranteed way to not get your permit, and possibly wind up next door in a holding cell.

However, they'll find out about your modifications if you ever use it, or happen to have contact with a Placer Co. deputy who knows their CCW rules.

It won't be a legal issue, as it doesn't invalidate your permit to have a modified weapon, but it could result in losing your permit if you get caught. The only things that will "invalidate" your permit are the rules printed on the back of the permit (ie, under the influence, being in places where weapons are prohibited by law, etc.), and modified weapons are not listed on those restrictions. But I wouldn't want to risk losing my permit by having a modification that isn't authorized.

Last edited by CandG; 06-08-2016 at 9:08 AM..
Old 06-08-2016, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are not even allowed to bring your weapon with you to the Sheriff's office. However, they'll find out about your modifications if you ever use it, or happen to have contact with a Placer Co. deputy who knows their CCW rules.

It won't be a legal issue, as it doesn't invalidate your permit to have a modified weapon, but it could result in losing your permit if you get caught.
I am not advocating having weapons that don't meet the requirements, just wanting to make sure there is not a misunderstanding about the process for inspecting and qualifying. I know the instructor who inspected my weapons was thorough as I am sure they all are.

Old 06-08-2016, 9:13 AM

Quote:
I am not advocating having weapons that don't meet the requirements, just wanting to make sure there is not a misunderstanding about the process for inspecting and qualifying. I know the instructor who inspected my weapons was thorough as I am sure they all are.

No problem, I just wanted to clear it up for anyone who might follow this thread. You are correct that the weapon inspection is done by your CCW instructor. He doesn't disassemble it though, so any modifications to the internals will not be noticed, so don't take his approval as a "whatever you have done inside the weapon is fine" because he might just not know.

I want to add (I can't remember if I already mentioned this) that I also asked the Sheriff about my Lasermax guide rod laser in my other listed weapon, and they said that was fine too. But each person who has such a modification should always ask the sheriff for themselves, and not take my word for it.

Old 06-09-2016, 3:35 PM

if anyn else needs it: https://s3.amazonaws.com/permitium-d...structions.pdf
Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Arrow Modifications to guns

The modifications which are NOT allowed are to the functionality of the weapon (trigger job, chopped recoil spring). Everything else is just fine. That should sum it up.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Arrow Get your live scan done before your interview

Also, just so that everybody knows. If you are applying for a permit (or will be within the next 4-6 months) in Placer, they recommend that you get your livescan done upfront first, as it is taking up to 4-6 months in some cases, for them to get the livescan results. If you have a clean arrest record, decent driving record, have not used drugs, and are squeaky clean, get the livescan done first. If you have any doubts as to your background, wait the additional time if you do not want to waste the money for your livescan. For more information, send me an email: john@besthandguntraining.com
Old 06-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCCWinstructor View Post
Also, just so that everybody knows. If you are applying for a permit (or will be within the next 4-6 months) in Placer, they recommend that you get your livescan done upfront first, as it is taking up to 4-6 months in some cases, for them to get the livescan results. If you have a clean arrest record, decent driving record, have not used drugs, and are squeaky clean, get the livescan done first. If you have any doubts as to your background, wait the additional time if you do not want to waste the money for your livescan. For more information, send me an email: john@besthandguntraining.com
This is solid information. Just took John's class yesterday and if you are still looking for a CCW class to take, you NEED to enroll in his class! Great guy and does A LOT for you! Thanks again John

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 06-22-2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC VET View Post
This is solid information. Just took John's class yesterday and if you are still looking for a CCW class to take, you NEED to enroll in his class! Great guy and does A LOT for you! Thanks again John
I second this info. Class was great and a lot of good info and instructions
Old 06-22-2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramdiesel View Post
I second this info. Class was great and a lot of good info and instructions
3rd.

From time to time I still go back and review some of my notes I took during class. Solid answers to questions that you can't really find answers to with google, plus things you never would've thought to google in the first place. Definitely doing my renewal class / new gun quals with them.

Old 06-22-2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC VET View Post
I've taken 6 classes total from BHT, some from John and some from Wes. We are very lucky to have a local business like this!

JD
Old 06-24-2016, 8:10 PM

Another plug for Best Handgun Training. Learned much and John's experience makes the class entertaining and informative.

FWIW, my interview was in late March and did Live Scan early April. Picked up permit today. Not nearly as long as I expected so suppose that is a good thing.

Old 06-25-2016, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Another plug for Best Handgun Training. Learned much and John's experience makes the class entertaining and informative.

FWIW, my interview was in late March and did Live Scan early April. Picked up permit today. Not nearly as long as I expected so suppose that is a good thing.

I did my interview and live scan on 3/30, hopefully I'll be getting that email next week
Old 07-07-2016, 8:55 AM

I did mine on 4/20.....waiting still
Old 07-19-2016, 7:25 PM

4/6 for me, still waiting!
Old 07-19-2016, 8:20 PM

Interview 3/30
LiveScan 3/30
Follow up phone call 7/15
Approval Email 7/19
Pick Up Tomorrow 7/20
Old 07-19-2016, 8:22 PM

4/14 and still waiting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 PM

With a placer CCW, are we able to carry with a rail mounted weapon light?
Old 07-25-2016, 1:16 PM

The add on light is ok
My time line:
Interview 4/7
Livescan 4/7
Call/text/email 7/25 (pay $80+ $2 fee)
I will pick up next Monday (can pick M,W,F)
Old 07-25-2016, 2:02 PM

Livescan 4/12, Interview 4/18, got the text today 7/25 to pick up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_Flyfisherman View Post
Livescan 4/12, Interview 4/18, got the text today 7/25 to pick up.

Congrats.

The Placer Sheriff's office has done a great job reducing the time it takes to get a CCW. A little over 3 months is very reasonable, especially considering that we are all "lucky" enough to live in CA.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:59 PM

Seems like the big delay factor is with the Live Scan....
Old 07-25-2016, 11:44 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Quote:
With a placer CCW, are we able to carry with a rail mounted weapon light?
I don't believe that's prohibited or grounds to revoke your permit in any way. Me personally i would not carry with a light or laser, but that's a separate topic.
Old 07-26-2016, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike175gr View Post
Seems like the big delay factor is with the Live Scan....
I believe you are right. I was told that CCW is considered an optional Livescan request, so it gets lower priority than employment. I'm sure summer time vacations slows things down a bit too. Then the Sheriff signs them in batches, which makes sense. I'm sure he has more time sensitive items on his desk.

Old 07-26-2016, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Exclamation Me personally i would not carry with a light or laser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post

I don't believe that's prohibited or grounds to revoke your permit in any way.

Me personally i would not carry with a light or laser,

but that's a separate topic.
I also would not attach my EDC light to my weapon as you will need to draw and point your weapon to use it.

Unless you are a LEO, this could be viewed as brandishing or assault (Penal Code 245(a)(2))

Seems like a great way to get shot or at least arrested.

My HD weapon has a light attached, but none of my CCW weapons do...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 07-26-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_Flyfisherman View Post
I believe you are right. I was told that CCW is considered an optional Livescan request, so it gets lower priority than employment. I'm sure summer time vacations slows things down a bit too. Then the Sheriff signs them in batches, which makes sense. I'm sure he has more time sensitive items on his desk.

Totally understand!
Old 07-28-2016, 7:57 PM

Took the CCW class last Saturday (July 23), applied online last Sunday for Placer County CCW permit (July 24), did the livescan on Monday (July 24), and have my first interview with the Sherriff scheduled on September 20. Hope to pick up CCW permit by end of year. Also applied for Utah (36 state) permit. I bet that will show up first!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 PM

Livescan 7/24 plus 100 days waiting that around early November pickup
Old 08-09-2016, 10:23 AM

Hey folks, any idea if Placer Sheriff has been placing employment related restrictions on their permits? I work in the plainclothes security field, current issuing agency has no issue with me using my CCW for work. But I know some issuing agencies will put work related restrictions on their permits.

Anyone ever heard of Placer placing that kind of restriction? I may be looking to relocate out that way in the next few years, but won't if it'll affect my ability to make a living.

The user formerly known as "han_cholo"
Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Hey folks, any idea if Placer Sheriff has been placing employment related restrictions on their permits? I work in the plainclothes security field, current issuing agency has no issue with me using my CCW for work. But I know some issuing agencies will put work related restrictions on their permits.

Anyone ever heard of Placer placing that kind of restriction? I may be looking to relocate out that way in the next few years, but won't if it'll affect my ability to make a living.
I used my employment as my GC. My company provided a letter of recommendation for me. PCSO did not put an employment restriction on my permit, they issued me a standard permit with standard restrictions.

My permit has 5 checkboxes on it to indicate the permit type: Employment, Standard, Judicial, Reserve, and Custodial. They checked the box marked "Standard".

Placer is 2a and CCW friendly - chances are, if they approve you for a CCW, they'll happily let you exercise your right 24/7.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CandG; 08-09-2016 at 10:43 AM..