Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiguy55 View Post
Not to thread jack... but there's a reno gun show the last weekend in July. me n some buddies will be going n then go shooting at our spot on blm land. Come join!
Just came back from the "Big Show" in Reno (the best one in my opinion) yesterday, and shooting/ATV riding in Lemon Vally East of Stead Airfield. It was a lot of fun!
Old 04-23-2014, 9:38 AM

interested and subbing.
Old 04-25-2014, 8:50 AM

Count me in if its going down on a Sunday!
Old 05-02-2014, 7:19 AM

Also interested! Willing to share ammo at the range
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Count me in. Panoche is closed until October

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2014, 7:29 PM
Tactical Reloader
CGN Contributor

I wouldn't hold my breath .. Original member that started thread hasn't updated

I plan on doing some BLM shooting with some friends on our own

Need Auto Collision repair / Bay Area ? See my thread !!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=476124
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 AM

I have been looking at this thread for a year now and doesn't look like people have gone. I think there is a big issue with going for a few reasons.

1. Only a few people know the exact location to shoot( I've never been)
2. Location few hours away
3. Notion of going to the middle of nowhere with a bunch of strangers
4. Conflicting schedules.

Its the same in the reloading forums. I have been waiting forever for an east bay reloading clinic to get help setting up my press and dies.

I think we should just have a meetup at a local bay area range meet and greet. Once we start to know each other outside the forums and see who is really down to go and not a flake. Once more people know of good locations to setup I think trips will happen more often. 10-15 new guys who wanna go waiting on 2-3 people who know the spot.

Last edited by sigma6; 05-09-2014 at 12:08 AM..
Old 05-09-2014, 7:22 AM

I have a small group going to BLM in Nevada. It is a 9+ hr hike one way from SF. I'll provide context on the area and how it went but not the SPOT.

Smaller groups are better. Too many and you spend the entire trip as RO. Plus safety and skill of those who come is all over the place.

These spots are like fishing holes. They are TOP SECRET. OP may have had to tone it down for the fear of his spot getting too busy.

I've seen pictures of some Cow Mountain BLM areas where people have dumped all sorts of stuff - sofas, tvs, refrigerators. It is horrible. Then of course someone decides to shoot all this dumped stuff making it worse.

As responsible people, we should all clean up after ourselves and bring targets that don't pollute. Our trip is planned for near zero impact. No brass, no litter left behind. Near zero because I can't find all the projectiles.

If litter gets too bad BLM may eventually close it off to specific uses and that would be horrible IMHO.

Last edited by freebug; 05-09-2014 at 7:25 AM..
Old 05-09-2014, 7:29 AM

@Sigma6 - Reloading. It is super easy. I am a Youtube reloading graduate.

I ordered the RCBS single stage Rockchucker kit and then watched a ton of videos on youtube. I started about a year ago and have loaded over 3,000 rnds (5.56, 308, 300blk, 45ACP and 9mm). The main danger in reloading is that you shoot WAY more, so you actually end up spending more money. Yes, per round cost is lower but you shoot like 300% more often (which is great) but you spend $000's on reloading components. Follow the published tables for your powder and caliber and you'll be fine. Where you go KABOOM, is when you try to make crap up yourself. Powder is not linear. Look at the tables and it varies a lot even with same number of grains. Start on the low and move to middle until you get the ballistics you want. Get a set of case gauges to ensure that no rounds are mal-formed.

It is a simple fun way of extending your shooting hobby. I found this guy's channel helpful. Die setup, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKosnBtBlIs

Last edited by freebug; 05-09-2014 at 7:33 AM..
Old 05-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Tactical Reloader
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
I have been looking at this thread for a year now and doesn't look like people have gone. I think there is a big issue with going for a few reasons.

1. Only a few people know the exact location to shoot( I've never been)
2. Location few hours away
3. Notion of going to the middle of nowhere with a bunch of strangers
4. Conflicting schedules.

Its the same in the reloading forums. I have been waiting forever for an east bay reloading clinic to get help setting up my press and dies.

I think we should just have a meetup at a local bay area range meet and greet. Once we start to know each other outside the forums and see who is really down to go and not a flake. Once more people know of good locations to setup I think trips will happen more often. 10-15 new guys who wanna go waiting on 2-3 people who know the spot.
Agreed,

Not everyone is down with shooting with others in a basically free environment. Even with a few people rotating to be RO's there is a big chance of injury with people who's skill set is unknown to others.

I've been to numerous pistol and carbine classes and there is always a chance of an incident. Last pistol class a guy had a ND in between classes
He was going to take down his XD to clean and pulled the trigger not checking if it was clear. (need to pull trigger to take down)

I second having a monthly range meet, get to know others and see how it goes from there..

Need Auto Collision repair / Bay Area ? See my thread !!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=476124
Old 06-21-2014, 5:36 PM

Does anyone have anything planned for July fourth weekend?
Old 06-23-2014, 1:38 AM

there is a chabot meet up planned: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=940443