Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-07-2013, 6:21 PM

Please include me in list for LA Club

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-09-2013, 6:58 PM

please include me for the LA club as well
Old 05-12-2013, 8:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So far no one has suggested any place besides Crazy Otto's except for meeting at Angeles or Oaktree and shooting afterwards. While I'm not against the idea, I think that the first meeting shouldn't be more than an hour or so and, I like food. Anyway, we are still looking for a definite place to meet and a definite date. So, keep the suggestions coming in.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 05-13-2013, 5:23 AM

Thousand Oaks here, Ventura would be my first choice. Totally new to this, but reloading is in my genes... My grandfather (mom's side) is the Forster of Forster reloading equipment.

I'll be brand new to reloading, and I don't even own any reloadable firearms yet, let alone brass. I've got a 12ga on order, and I have a completed lower looking for a 300BLK upper (and the $$ to buy it). But this is a skill I would love to have.
Old 05-13-2013, 5:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Los Angeles here, please add me to the list.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

-- Clint Smith
Old 05-13-2013, 5:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlyworking View Post
Thousand Oaks here, Ventura would be my first choice. Totally new to this, but reloading is in my genes... My grandfather (mom's side) is the Forster of Forster reloading equipment.

I'll be brand new to reloading, and I don't even own any reloadable firearms yet, let alone brass. I've got a 12ga on order, and I have a completed lower looking for a 300BLK upper (and the $$ to buy it). But this is a skill I would love to have.
Contact TacticalPlinker and join the Ventura County Chapter. We can definitely use any contact you might have at Forster to aquire club owned equipment or do group buys. also, just so you know, shotshell reloading is a completely different animal than metalic cartridge reloading. While there doesn't seem to be much interest in shotshell reloading yet, don't worry, I currently am set up to load 410 and 12g and soon I'll have to get a 28g press too. Finally, my office is in Agoura so, TO is not out the question for me.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 05-16-2013, 9:04 AM

I would like to learn multiple handgun, rifle and shotshell. In the southbay area so am not familiar with meeting places in Palmdale area. That's a bit of a drive and don't venture that way much at all.
Old 05-16-2013, 6:57 PM

Count me in; been pretty successfully with my loads so far!

Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!
Old 05-19-2013, 5:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeWagon View Post
I would like to learn multiple handgun, rifle and shotshell. In the southbay area so am not familiar with meeting places in Palmdale area. That's a bit of a drive and don't venture that way much at all.
So far, there isn't a set meeting place. I'm open to suggestions anywhere in the county. Anyone own a restraunt or have any suggestions? How about suggestions for a date in June?

Also, if anyone needs SPPs, Oaktree has CCIs for $40/1000 with a 2K limit. They will probably sell out this afternoon or tomorrow. I passed on them after spending too much on a jug of H50BMG, 100 .50 cal M33 projectiles and some plastic boxes, I figured I had spent enough.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-19-2013, 6:17 AM

Location: los angeles, San Gabriel valley, Torrance, Cerritos

Count me in. interested in learning
Old 05-19-2013, 1:35 PM
CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)

Please follow the dedicated Chapter threads if you would.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton
Old 05-19-2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlonewolf View Post
Please follow the dedicated Chapter threads if you would.
You should probably contact the OP and have them edit the title of this thread to avoid the confusion. With the title "LA County/Ventura Reloading Club", this thread is bound to get people from VC to post in it. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by jj805; 05-19-2013 at 2:32 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj805 View Post
You should probably contact the OP and have them edit the title of this thread to avoid the confusion. With the title "LA County/Ventura Reloading Club", this thread is bound to get people from VC to post in it. Just my $0.02.
That's because this thread was started before the VC thread and meant to get things started in both counties. But, I'll change it just for you.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-19-2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
That's because this thread was started before the VC thread and meant to get things started in both counties. But, I'll change it just for you.
I am well aware of the original intent of this thread, see post #7. Apparently, according to the person I quoted in post #53, that is not what this thread has become, at least to the person that I quoted, hence the comment.

You wouldn't be changing the title of the thread for me. You would be changing the title of the thread to improve the line of communication with your intended audience. That is a good thing, and will help with avoiding any confusion. Confusion that is happening on a regular basis. Don't you think it would be better for the people of both LAC and VC to not be confused about things like the location of meetings? I do.

Anyway, for those people that were confused about where the LAC chapter thread is, and to those of you that were confused about weather this was the correct VC thread to post in, now you know.

Last edited by jj805; 05-20-2013 at 7:53 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
So far, there isn't a set meeting place. I'm open to suggestions anywhere in the county. Anyone own a restraunt or have any suggestions? How about suggestions for a date in June?
Why not meet at Oak Tree? They have the bar & grill which has picnic tables that are good for a meeting, they have a reloading store on the premises, and it's a range so people can come to the meeting and then go shoot (or vice versa). They're also open until 9pm W-F and until 5pm on weekends.

It's maybe not the most convenient place for those in downtown LA or on the west side, but maybe for a first meeting it would work...

I'm eager to get started so the first or second weekend in June would be great (June 1-2 or 8-9).
Old 05-20-2013, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Why not meet at Oak Tree? They have the bar & grill which has picnic tables that are good for a meeting, they have a reloading store on the premises, and it's a range so people can come to the meeting and then go shoot (or vice versa). They're also open until 9pm W-F and until 5pm on weekends.

It's maybe not the most convenient place for those in downtown LA or on the west side, but maybe for a first meeting it would work...

I'm eager to get started so the first or second weekend in June would be great (June 1-2 or 8-9).
June 1-2 is out. I'll be 5 hours away at a 1000 yard FCSA match. Oaktree is an option. However, there could potentially be a conflict of interest since, they offer reloading classes and we are also talking about group buys which would take retail sales away from retailers of reloading supplies. I just don't want to tick anyone off. But, maybe a coffee shop close to Oaktree?
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-20-2013, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depending on the size of group there is the way station in downtown newhall. (If it is a small group, it is an old timey legit coffee shop greasy spoon diner with a max occupancy of like 40, fixed tables that seat 4 and counter that encloses the kitchen)

If the group were more than 8 to 10 people , I would suggest egg plantation in Downtown Newhall as well. Both of these places are about a 10 minute drive from Oaktree. Also both of these places get fairly busy because they both serve good food.
Old 05-21-2013, 9:34 AM

Good point CSA; I was thinking it would be handy to have that reloading shop there but I can see how it could upset the somewhat gruff fellow who runs it if we are doing group buys and the like (who by the way had plenty of large and small CCI rifle primers last week for $39/1k).

It sounds like Fift7 knows Newhall pretty well; those suggestions sound solid for a morning meeting (and I can stop in to Pulchella for some wine afterwards too).

Anyway, happy to help out however I can as a noob reloader!
Old 05-21-2013, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Good point CSA; I was thinking it would be handy to have that reloading shop there but I can see how it could upset the somewhat gruff fellow who runs it if we are doing group buys and the like (who by the way had plenty of large and small CCI rifle primers last week for $39/1k).

It sounds like Fift7 knows Newhall pretty well; those suggestions sound solid for a morning meeting (and I can stop in to Pulchella for some wine afterwards too).

Anyway, happy to help out however I can as a noob reloader!
They had lots of CCI SPPs on Saturday! $40/K w/ a 2K limit.

Crazy Otto's is worth the drive to Acton but, there is a Coco's at Lyon's and the Old Road that has a room we might be able to use.

Well, anymore input on location, time and date for the first meeting? I could keep procrastinating about it forever so, I think we need to pick a time and place soon. I'll give it 'till Saturday then evaluate the suggestions and post the specifics.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-21-2013, 7:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Either of the places I suggested are just good for food, unless our group is relatively small. I don't think they will want us slowing down business after we eat.

How many people will be doing this first meeting?

Should we do a cut and paste list or wait for a location.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Late to the party...can I come play?
Quote:
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 PM

I am not so sure a restaurant is good for a first meeting unless the first meeting is just to get to know each other, distribute some printouts and discuss theory. A place like a VFW post (like my gun club uses) would be perfect for meetings because we could actually do reloading and not feel rushed.

OP, will this be organized like a formal club or ??

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

-- Clint Smith
Old 05-24-2013, 12:59 AM

CSA: since you'll be running the show maybe it would be best if you decided on a date? We'll all keep batting around suggestions forever otherwise. If you set a date and someone can't make it there will be more opportunities in the future. All we need for a meeting place for this meeting is a space with chairs, unless there was a plan to do some actual demo. if said place happens to also serve beer then bonus!

My garand arrives tomorrow so now I also need to learn to load garand-safe 30-06... Just putting ideas out there for future club meetings.
Old 05-24-2013, 7:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
Late to the party...can I come play?
If you don't make the first meeting, you won't be a founding member. If that happens, you'll have to either be "jumped in" or start as a "hang around", work your way up to "prospect" and then, if you pass all the tests, you might become a fully patched member. We'll discuss the initiation process at the first meeting.

Also, if you join, we won't be able to have poolside reloading parties just like we can't have poolside AK build parties anymore.

Quote:
CSA: since you'll be running the show maybe it would be best if you decided on a date? We'll all keep batting around suggestions forever otherwise. If you set a date and someone can't make it there will be more opportunities in the future. All we need for a meeting place for this meeting is a space with chairs, unless there was a plan to do some actual demo. if said place happens to also serve beer then bonus!

My garand arrives tomorrow so now I also need to learn to load garand-safe 30-06... Just putting ideas out there for future club meetings.
Yep, we just need to get the ball rolling and see what directions the club should head in.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-24-2013, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting..

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 05-24-2013, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just you guys wait for the pictures Sunday of orange county's reloading club meet.

You'll get an idea of where this club should be headed. I can't wait til Sunday, and I can't wait to share it with the rest of Calguns. Stay tuned.
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 05-24-2013, 1:52 PM

Wow, zero meetings so far and we've already got the kernel of a club rivalry!

I think we'll be needing those patches!
Old 05-24-2013, 2:39 PM
CGSSA Specialist
CGN Contributor

No rivalry. Just a heads up to what is coming. There may be some at range meet ups between clubs.
Old 05-24-2013, 3:48 PM

I'm interested in the reloading aspect of this thing, but not the club politics, organization, etc.
I know what reloading is, and how it's done, and all, but I have never done it.
So I'm interested in the education available.
And then to determine what if any equipment I want to buy.
I've started saving my brass.
dc
Old 05-28-2013, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OK, I guess I'll just set a time and place for the first meeting. How about 9am, June 15th at Crazy Otto's in Acton! I know it's a bit of a drive but, it's only about 25 minutes from the SFV and about the same from Lancaster. After the meeting, I think I am going to be helping a couple other calgunners do some non reloading things. But, you guys can always plan a shoot at Oaktree????? I will discuss the idea of classes at the meeting and tenatively plan on holding a SMALL class of 2-4 students the following weekend. Those who attend the meeting will have first priority.

I will try to send out a mass PM about the meeting today or tomorrow but, I'm swamped with other stuff right now. So, you have posted in this thread or sent me a PM about the club and do not get a PM by tomorrow, remind me!
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-28-2013, 7:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
I'm interested in the reloading aspect of this thing, but not the club politics, organization, etc.
I know what reloading is, and how it's done, and all, but I have never done it.
So I'm interested in the education available.
And then to determine what if any equipment I want to buy.
I've started saving my brass.
dc
You're not alone. I think most prospective members are just like you. I know I am! I hate politics and specially volunteer club/organization politics! Anyway, like any club, you'll only get out of it what you put into it. That said, I do think that many will join, learn the minimum they feel they need to and then move on. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, if that is all the club is able to accomplish, I'll still be happy to be a part of it. SAFETY, SAFETY and SAFETY are the three most important things to remember when it comes to shooting or reloading. I want to help new reloaders learn those three things before an accident happens. Also, input from those who don't want to be involved in the organizational aspects is very important. We need your input to help figure out just how to best organize the club to help you and those like you the best way we can. Besides, if you show up at Crazy Otto's, you are in for a treat! Good food, good prices and, good sized portions!!!!!! Oh, besides the educational aspects, we plan to obtain club owned equipment for both classroom use and just member's use and, we plan to organize group buys with the buying power of a state wide membership!!!!! If we only get an average of 100 members per county and there are 58 counties in CA, that's 5800 members! If each member was to order two 500 round box of bulk bullets in a group buy, that would be 580,000 bullets in one order!!!! Do you think our group buy pricing will be a little better than retail? Do you think manufacturers will sit up and take notice? I already know of one person who has offered to step up to start the Butte County chapter and, he has inside contacts at RCBS! But, he can't start it for another couple months due to more pressing 2A commitments. I'm sure as soon as the club starts growing, we'll have manufactures COMING TO US with special offers.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-28-2013, 2:38 PM

I'm in for prime rib and eggs! http://www.crazyottosdiners.com/

Maybe in the future locations more central, like northern part of LA or middle of SFV would be better for the LA chapter meetings? Acton is 40 minutes from me and I'm on the northern edge of the SFV, so it's surely a lot farther for some others!
Old 05-29-2013, 6:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree. I have been asking for input on meeting places. Otto's is just my choice for a good breakfast. I just found a small place in Santa Clarita yesterday. It is just off Via Prinsesa and, depending on the number of attendies, might be a great option for future meetings. BTW, Otto's is about 25-30 minutes from me too.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-29-2013, 7:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I agree. I have been asking for input on meeting places. Otto's is just my choice for a good breakfast. I just found a small place in Santa Clarita yesterday. It is just off Via Prinsesa and, depending on the number of attendies, might be a great option for future meetings. BTW, Otto's is about 25-30 minutes from me too.
I suggest you just pick a place and time and set it in stone. If people are interested, they will show up. We need less talking and more action.

Orange County is here to help, but we really need to get the ball running for our other chapters.
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!

Last edited by Bumslie; 05-29-2013 at 7:17 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
I suggest you just pick a place and time and set it in stone. If people are interested, they will show up. We need less talking and more action.

Orange County is here to help, but we really need to get the ball running for our other chapters.
Already done. See post #72!

Quote:
OK, I guess I'll just set a time and place for the first meeting. How about 9am, June 15th at Crazy Otto's in Acton! I know it's a bit of a drive but, it's only about 25 minutes from the SFV and about the same from Lancaster. After the meeting, I think I am going to be helping a couple other calgunners do some non reloading things. But, you guys can always plan a shoot at Oaktree????? I will discuss the idea of classes at the meeting and tenatively plan on holding a SMALL class of 2-4 students the following weekend. Those who attend the meeting will have first priority.

I will try to send out a mass PM about the meeting today or tomorrow but, I'm swamped with other stuff right now. So, you have posted in this thread or sent me a PM about the club and do not get a PM by tomorrow, remind me!
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-29-2013, 8:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Already done. See post #72!
Great. Can't wait to see LA chapter take off!
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
So far no one has suggested any place besides Crazy Otto's except for meeting at Angeles or Oaktree and shooting afterwards. While I'm not against the idea, I think that the first meeting shouldn't be more than an hour or so and, I like food. Anyway, we are still looking for a definite place to meet and a definite date. So, keep the suggestions coming in.
I'm down for the club and I reload already. Call me when the first meeting is planned.

Oak Tree has food/beer and an area we can meet in. Worst case, I'll get the BBQ area and we can discuss things while watching people shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 05-29-2013, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you don't make the first meeting, you won't be a founding member. If that happens, you'll have to either be "jumped in" or start as a "hang around", work your way up to "prospect" and then, if you pass all the tests, you might become a fully patched member. We'll discuss the initiation process at the first meeting.

Also, if you join, we won't be able to have poolside reloading parties just like we can't have poolside AK build parties anymore.
Looks like prospecting then. June 15th I'll be visiting family in Seattle. Also my poolside etiquette has improved tremendously in the last 4 years....god it's been 4 years.

Quote:
I'm in for prime rib and eggs! http://www.crazyottosdiners.com/

Maybe in the future locations more central, like northern part of LA or middle of SFV would be better for the LA chapter meetings? Acton is 40 minutes from me and I'm on the northern edge of the SFV, so it's surely a lot farther for some others!
40 minutes from north SFV?!?!....Are you riding f**king a bicycle or something?
Quote:
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 05-29-2013, 5:08 PM

Quote:

Yep, we just need to get the ball rolling and see what directions the club should head in.
Greg anyone need a medic, well hope not but I would like to join the group if there's space.

"We cannot free ourselves unless we move forward united in a single desire."
Emilio Aguinaldo

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
John F. Kennedy

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε САЙГА-12
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
40 minutes from north SFV?!?!....Are you riding f**king a bicycle or something?
Google wouldn't lie to me, and I always obey the posted speed limit like a good citizen!