Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-09-2023, 5:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default 7 SAW for Hunting - Anyone?

I’m eyeing another hunting rifle and it’s chambered in 7 SAW, my mantra of late is lightweight and this one tips the scales at 6 lbs./9 ozs. w/o optics. This would be a large game rifle (Defiance anTi action, Bartlein 22-inch SS fluted barrel in a McMillan CF Game Warden 2.0 stock built by West Texas Ordnance), I want it to bang sum big pigs hard using 150ish gr. monolithic copper bullets at ~ 2800 fps. and at distance (400-500 yds.) for the challenge; we cull pigs fiercely on our ranch in southern Humboldt county, they tear up the land bad and we and the adjacent rancher work together to keep the pigs in check.

Yes, I’ve seen/read some good reports about the 7 SAW on the interwebs, but CGN is the place I frequent the most, sooo, anyone here running and/or hunting with the 7 SAW cartridge and monolithic copper bullets?

Mac

.........??????????...... <a href=http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic165916_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ic165916_5.gif</a>
???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher

Last edited by MeatyMac; 08-10-2023 at 5:07 AM..
Old 08-11-2023, 8:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What is it?
A 7-08 ackley improved?
Old 08-11-2023, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
What is it?
A 7-08 ackley improved?
Similar, but uses small rifle primers for higher pressures, some steel shooters are pushing 168 gr. Berger VLD's slightly over 2900 fps with N550 out of 24" barrels, packs a good 'gong' downrange.

For hunting, 150 gr. monolithic tipped bullets can be pleasantly shot without a brake in the 2700-2750 fps range through lighter 18-20 inch barrels.

West Texas Ordnance developed the cartridge to capitalize on high BC 7mm bullets at a higher velocity than what the 7mm-08ai is capable of, they also have two reamers available with different throat lengths to chamber the cartridge in traditional length short actions (Rem 700) or long short and medium length actions (Defiance and others) and magazines.

.........??????????...... <a href=http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic165916_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ic165916_5.gif</a>
???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher