Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-28-2015, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootslikeagirl View Post
They quickly went back to more than one day at week the third week of May. So they period of time where they only interviewed one day a week was short lived. Unfortunately that should make it slow back down again.
Yeah, I was thinking about that after I posted. After further thought, I do not think they went back to a single day per week at all. I believe they went from 3 days in April down to 2 days per week in May which should make things move faster.
Old 01-28-2015, 8:19 AM

I got a call back and was told need to come down to meet sheriff. He want to go over the application. I see him Tuesday if all go as plan .. hope I will have good updat after the meeting. Wish me luck..
Old 01-28-2015, 9:20 AM

From the my self and the other who had to meet I heard after one week and the other heard after two so hopefully soon
Old 01-28-2015, 9:22 AM

I went to my favorite FFL last Saturday to do a PPT, and my conversation with one of the employees there somehow shifted to my CCW application, and when he found out that I was interviewed more than 3 months ago, he gave me a Post-It note with the following CA Penal Code to look up: California PC 26205. Which says:

Quote:
The licensing authority shall give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied.
He told me to go to the Sheriff's office and politely ask for my permit, tell them that I know about this law and they should issue it right there, since they are already breaking the law. He also said that they have already finished my background check after they processed my Live Scan, and should have that already done.

Knowing this is one thing, but actually doing it...? I don't know.

Last edited by bst1208; 01-28-2015 at 9:26 AM..
Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst1208 View Post
I went to my favorite FFL last Saturday to do a PPT, and my conversation with one of the employees there somehow shifted to my CCW application, and when he found out that I was interviewed more than 3 months ago, he gave me a Post-It note with the following CA Penal Code to look up: California PC 26205. Which says:

He told me to go to the Sheriff's office and politely ask for my permit, tell them that I know about this law and they should issue it right there, since they are already breaking the law. He also said that they have already finished my background check after they processed my Live Scan, and should have that already done.

This has been discussed in depth here before. I dont suggest you go that route. There are some other issues at play. While what the IA is doing may be wrong, we fight it in the courts, going in and demanding your permit will be a very quick way to get a denial. Be patient as others have and chances are good things will come to those that wait. Also keep abreast of all the currrent littigation and support where you can.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 AM

When I applied in Sept I was told to call back in 4-5 months. Some friends interviewed at the end of December. They were told to call back if they hadn't received a response by Jan or Feb. They were also told that the courts had instructed the sheriff's office to speed up the issuing process in order to stay inline with the law. They stated they were continuing to hire people to help that process. Obviously it will take some time to work thru the backlog to catch back up.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst1208 View Post

Quote:
The licensing authority shall give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied.

So how do we know if and when they even submitted the applicant's criminal background check to the Department of Justice, or when they received the results from the DOJ? From the statutory language you cited, they have up to 30 days after that to inform an applicant of their decision. For all we know, they might be so backlogged that they're waiting 6 months to even submit the background check to the DOJ.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 01-28-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM

I too, am aware of the law but chose not to pursue it. Yes, they are in complete violation of the law, but quoting the penal code to the investigators and/or deputies in the office will not end well. Simply said, they will issue you a letter of denial likely on the grounds that they have not been able to complete your background investigation. Even if that story is ****, it doesn't matter. California is still a "may issue" state and Sheriff Moore doesn't have to sign off on any permit if he has even the slightest thought that it wouldn't be a good idea.

Again, that doesn't make it right, but its what we have to work with. Even though they are painfully slow, at least we are getting approvals.
Old 01-28-2015, 1:22 PM

Have there been any approvals yet from June interview dates? My investigator told me it takes 3 to 4 months for the background info to be received from DOJ just for them to start the process.
Old 01-28-2015, 1:22 PM

When one submits to a Live Scan, background check is processed by the DOJ within 48-72 hrs, all automated/computerized with no technician intervention, unless they find matching records with your fingerprints or other technical stuff like wrong information submitted, in which case they are done manually. http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints

So, if you have a clean record (most if not all of us legal gun owners do), then our background check results should be already on file within 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
So how do we know if and when they even submitted the applicant's criminal background check to the Department of Justice, or when they received the results from the DOJ? From the statutory language you cited, they have up to 30 days after that to inform an applicant of their decision. For all we know, they might be so backlogged that they're waiting 6 months to even submit the background check to the DOJ.
Old 01-28-2015, 1:36 PM

Background checks are automatic after they receive the Live Scan request, all done by computers with no technician intervention within 48-72 hours. The only time they would manually process this is they find matching records with your fingerprints. So if you have a clean record, they already have your results if you have been waiting more than 3 months. http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints

Having said that, I wouldn't rock the boat either and appear at the Sheriff's office asking for my approval. I'm just saying what's within California laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Fatboy View Post
I too, am aware of the law but chose not to pursue it. Yes, they are in complete violation of the law, but quoting the penal code to the investigators and/or deputies in the office will not end well. Simply said, they will issue you a letter of denial likely on the grounds that they have not been able to complete your background investigation. Even if that story is ****, it doesn't matter. California is still a "may issue" state and Sheriff Moore doesn't have to sign off on any permit if he has even the slightest thought that it wouldn't be a good idea.

Again, that doesn't make it right, but its what we have to work with. Even though they are painfully slow, at least we are getting approvals.

Last edited by bst1208; 01-28-2015 at 1:38 PM..
Old 01-28-2015, 2:04 PM

He could easily deny for good moral charicter since you are pushing law enforcement and that you have a problem with authority. I looked at that law as a leg to stand on if I were denied, not an offensive move.
Old 01-28-2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1youngblood1 View Post
When I applied in Sept I was told to call back in 4-5 months. Some friends interviewed at the end of December. They were told to call back if they hadn't received a response by Jan or Feb. They were also told that the courts had instructed the sheriff's office to speed up the issuing process in order to stay inline with the law. They stated they were continuing to hire people to help that process. Obviously it will take some time to work thru the backlog to catch back up.
This is exactly what I was told as well.. (interview 12/1/14)

He said call back end of Feb if I haven't heard anything.. Meanwhile, 2 months later it looks like they are still 6-7 months behind I expect they will still be working on JUL/AUG applicants at the end of Feb
Old 01-28-2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot95758 View Post
He could easily deny for good moral charicter since you are pushing law enforcement and that you have a problem with authority..
Yeah that just sounds like a bad idea.. I honestly believe everyone down there is doing the best they can (not purposely dragging their feet), and throwing a ton of more resources at the issue isn't something in their control.

Maybe naive, but that is good enough for me to remain patient while they are working through the backlog.
Old 01-29-2015, 9:30 AM

I think the FFL better is a bit of a zealot. We are fortunate that the Sheriff has changed course, lets not forget that. I'm now entering my third month and I would certainly like to have this checked off my to do list but at a time when crime is out of control and the Sherriff's office is underfunded, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pull a guy off the streets to issue CCW's. On the other hand, I would support raising the cost of getting a CCW so the program is self supporting
Old 01-29-2015, 9:54 AM

There are laws stating the maximum price they can charge, they can charge up to 100 they are at 95 I don't think an extra five dollars will go far. Also ember then can only charge 20 percent up from the rest is after you are approved, they are having to front money from their budget for this
Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 AM

How many hours do you think it takes to process an application from start to end? 2-3 hours? At that rate, they are losing money handling the applications. They should be allowed to charge more.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 AM

I'm sure it is at least 2 hours and it is more than just the one person doing it between people at the desk the person who typed up my permit the until interview and sheriff more I saw 5 people. But they still charge more than most other states do
Old 01-29-2015, 4:54 PM

Is there any state law that prohibits them from accepting volunteers just until it's all caught up? How about asking for volunteers from the pool of citizens that have been granted CCWs themselves? They've already proven they're of good moral character, have undergone a Live Scan, and should be good to go. For these volunteers, there'd probably some benefits just knowing people inside. Or maybe the Sheriff can offer an extended 4-year license to them in exchange for the work. Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSig View Post
How many hours do you think it takes to process an application from start to end? 2-3 hours? At that rate, they are losing money handling the applications. They should be allowed to charge more.

Last edited by bst1208; 01-29-2015 at 5:04 PM..
Old 01-29-2015, 5:59 PM

It was my understanding, according to my interviewer, that some of the staff handling the applications were volunteers. I think he said a couple of the folks were retired detectives. I could be mistaken though.
Old 01-29-2015, 6:10 PM

Yeah he said something similar to me.. Retired officers coming in to help out IIRC
Old 01-30-2015, 9:54 AM

Since it's applicable to the San Joaquin process, I'll make a quick plug here for a CCW training course experience (for those of you who are still waiting to take a course). I just completed my 2-day, 16 hour training with Valley Defense Consulting out of Modesto (the actual training took place in Oakdale). What an experience!! They are on SJSO's list of approved courses, and I could not be more happy with the curriculum and hands on training. Highly recommend their course, not only for satisfying the training requirements, but for learning how to SAFELY and efficiently operate your firearm with elevated confidence.
Old 01-30-2015, 5:49 PM

Got the call to pickup my permit .Applied end of may almost 8 months to the day from when I first turned in my ap. Going to go with Valley defense for class have heard good things.
Old 01-30-2015, 6:29 PM

I just talked to a friend at San Joaquin S/O. He does the finger printing for CCW permits. His said this last Friday he printed 32 people for permits.
He said that they have been getting a lot of applications and have at least three people working on the paperwork. He also said DOJ has been taking 4-6 months to return the completed background checks. I have no reason to doubt him.
Old 01-31-2015, 1:14 AM

Before I applied I had a live scan done myself. Got it back in the mail in 2 days.
Old 02-02-2015, 2:41 PM

I have not heard about a 4-6 month background check from DOJ. Has anybody else heard of that? I have heard 8 weeks. I was planning on checking with the S/o after 90 days...
Old 02-02-2015, 5:17 PM

Yes, the live scan comes back usually within a day or so but, any discrepancies have to be manually reviewed by a live person @ DOJ then sent on to the SO. If you have a record, it will be manually reviewed by DOJ first to compile then sent to the SO for review.
Old 02-03-2015, 7:06 AM

And if there isn't a record or descrepcies then what? That can't be 4-6 months...
Old 02-03-2015, 8:31 AM

Interview June 6th
Approved Jan 30th
Picked up today

Just under 8 months

Last edited by radicalray; 02-03-2015 at 8:33 AM..
Old 02-03-2015, 9:09 AM

Congrats Ray.

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Congrats. .

I see thr sheriff this afternoon. Will update after.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz dr View Post
Congrats. .

I see thr sheriff this afternoon. Will update after.
Good luck, be honest and relax. We may not see eye to eye on his policies, but Sheriff Moore is a nice enough guy.
Old 02-03-2015, 1:44 PM

Being the Sheriff in a poor county during the great recession would not be easy!
Old 02-03-2015, 2:11 PM

I will be honest as im always am. But what make me scratch my head is I have meet him before when he denied me for lack of good cause back when he did not approve for self defense why again ???.
Any how off I go to meet him at 330. .
Old 02-03-2015, 3:07 PM

So, on a side note... In addition to the costs of getting our license to carry concealed, did anybody budget for the new wardrobe changes to accompany the new carry?
Old 02-03-2015, 4:08 PM

I ended up buying a few dickies work shirts nice and long to cover. All my thirty didn't give me enough to feel comfortable when bending or squating Or sitting in a chair. I'm a big guy though 6 ft 280lbs
Old 02-03-2015, 4:23 PM

I was in with sheriff about 30min going over specific of past incident. This was my 3rd time meeting with him yet im still not sure if I convinced him to give me a chance or not. He say I will hear back from him I hope it will be good for me. Oh and make sure you have the exact change when you pick up your permit. Had to help some one barow $10 because he only had $20 bills. They dont have change.. good luck to all. Will update if approved or denied. .
Old 02-03-2015, 4:32 PM

Did he ask you if you knew most officers are shot with their own gun
Old 02-03-2015, 5:16 PM

Default Picked up | May 28th Initial

Picked up today, no restrictions.

As suspected, the pick up took a little longer than others had mentioned per my own case...they forgot to take my picture during my initial interview back in May. Once they figured out how to get the picture printed, it was sign, thumbprint, laminate....boom: CCW holder. Even with the picture delay, I was in-and-out of there in about 25 minutes.

During this time, 4 others came in to pick up, 1 was renewing, and there were about 3 phone calls which sounded like appointments being made. Again, this is my interpretation, but based on the phone conversation the young gentleman was having, it sounds like they were scheduling middle ~feb. appointments.

Good luck to everyone, hold the course; it was an 8 mo. wait for me but worth it in the end. Stay safe.
Old 02-03-2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot95758 View Post
Did he ask you if you knew most officers are shot with their own gun
Yes he did mention that. Hope will hear good news soon.