Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamore17 View Post
it is nice to hear that cause i don't want to sell my glock.do i still need to make any changes to my gun like the single shot when i get to california?
No, the only thing you will be required to do is register it. Here is the form for that.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

However you cannot bring any high capacity magazines into the state unless you first disassemble them. And then you may not reassemble them while in the state unless you modify them to only hold 10 rounds.
Old 01-22-2012, 9:14 PM

We have updates some info on our site about SSE transfers as well as guns that are available.

Our Site

Single Shot Exempt Pistol List

SSE Explanation

If you still have questions, please give us a call anytime.
sales@directactionsolutions.net, www.sdgunshop.com, Like us on Facebook
SAN DIEGOS PREMIER GUNSHOP SPECIALIZING IN SINGLE SHOT OFF ROSTER PISTOLS

Old 01-24-2012, 6:24 AM

Thanks for the clarification on gunsmithing. I have one more question: could we, as consumers, be penalized for relying on an FFL's representation that the gun we are buying is a true single shot pistol if it turns out that the FFL's configuation is faulty? In other words, if a DOJ audit finds that the barrels an FFL uses are too short or if the magazine block or lock is not adequate, could the already completed sales be nullified somehow? I understand that it is not a crime to buy an off roster gun, but I wonder if the purchase under these circumstances is vulnerable, or is the FFL the only one that needs to worry?
Old 01-24-2012, 6:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8Guns View Post
Thanks for the clarification on gunsmithing. I have one more question: could we, as consumers, be penalized for relying on an FFL's representation that the gun we are buying is a true single shot pistol if it turns out that the FFL's configuation is faulty? In other words, if a DOJ audit finds that the barrels an FFL uses are too short or if the magazine block or lock is not adequate, could the already completed sales be nullified somehow? I understand that it is not a crime to buy an off roster gun, but I wonder if the purchase under these circumstances is vulnerable, or is the FFL the only one that needs to worry?
NO. It's on the FFL to make sure they are fallowing the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have to wonder about that since I heard that there were some firearms that were transferred under the claim that they were on the certified list, but the specific model was not (magazine release as I recall). I think that the end result was that the firearms had to be returned, but I am not sure.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't know about that. When I was 19 I bought a gun from a table top FFL. I filled out the DROS and everything. It took about 2.5 months for the power to be figure out that I was too young to be from a dealer.

The dealer called me and told me that he was in a lot of trouble and that he couldn't make me return it but if I did it would really help him out.

I did return it. He also gave me a little extra for the help.
Old 01-25-2012, 3:55 PM

Is there anyone in the Sacramento area that can do the SSC, etc? I'm talking more North Sacramento, say between Natomas and Roseville. Elk Grove and El Dorado Hills are a hike.
Plus I don't know of Placer Tactical in Lincoln, which is close to me. I've never heard of them.

Not that I have the $ at this time to buy out of state, have the SSC done, then have it transferred to CA, pay the fees, etc. I'm just curious for the future.
Old 01-25-2012, 4:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr3313 View Post
Is there anyone in the Sacramento area that can do the SSC, etc? I'm talking more North Sacramento, say between Natomas and Roseville. Elk Grove and El Dorado Hills are a hike.
Plus I don't know of Placer Tactical in Lincoln, which is close to me. I've never heard of them.

Not that I have the $ at this time to buy out of state, have the SSC done, then have it transferred to CA, pay the fees, etc. I'm just curious for the future.
I'm homebased dealer in Lincoln. Currently I offer the Ruger LCP and 1911 in SSE. I do accept SSE transfers from other dealers as well.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Can I have a 1911 frame DROSed?^^
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Gold standard is for idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.Morgan
Money is gold, and nothing else.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisaka View Post
Can I have a 1911 frame DROSed?^^
If you are exempt from the certified list, yes, otherwise no as the exact model has to be on the list and just the frame won't be on the list. If it is a C&R, then it would be exempt.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-27-2012, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

Frames have to be built up to be exempted...
Old 01-28-2012, 5:55 PM

Blah.
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Gold standard is for idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.Morgan
Money is gold, and nothing else.
Old 01-29-2012, 9:12 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just read in a previous post that once you purchase an off-roster gun via SSE, that if you decide to sell later down the line via PPT, that you need not sell under SSE again? Does that mean you can just sell the pistol as it is "normally?" If so, then can't we sell the SSE parts back to the FFL to re-use for future SSE purchase?
Old 01-29-2012, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Just read in a previous post that once you purchase an off-roster gun via SSE, that if you decide to sell later down the line via PPT, that you need not sell under SSE again? Does that mean you can just sell the pistol as it is "normally?" If so, then can't we sell the SSE parts back to the FFL to re-use for future SSE purchase?
Most places that do SSE will charge you a deposit for the extended barrel and mag sled. Once you've completed your DROS and take possession of your new firearm you put the original parts back in and send the modded parts back to the original dealer and get your deposit back.

If you decide to sell later you PPT it in it's original configuration, no need to go back to SSE because it's now being sold via PPT and not a new purchase.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 01-29-2012, 9:59 AM

Default Glock Gen 4 SSE near LA

I'm looking to get a Glock 19 Gen 4 SSE.

So far, the closest place I see is DAS in Solana Beach, which is 115 miles from me.

Is there anything closer to LA?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM
YOU are next!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
Most places that do SSE will charge you a deposit for the extended barrel and mag sled. Once you've completed your DROS and take possession of your new firearm you put the original parts back in and send the modded parts back to the original dealer and get your deposit back.

If you decide to sell later you PPT it in it's original configuration, no need to go back to SSE because it's now being sold via PPT and not a new purchase.
Good info...thanks for the response.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joash View Post
I'm looking to get a Glock 19 Gen 4 SSE.

So far, the closest place I see is DAS in Solana Beach, which is 115 miles from me.

Is there anything closer to LA?
EBR works might be a closer drive for you. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=512660

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-30-2012, 3:51 PM

Thanks, they were pretty responsive. They have some pretty interesting stuff about selling NFA firearms via a trust which I still have to read up on. Didn't know there was any way for us to get sawed off style shotguns.
Old 01-30-2012, 4:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joash View Post
Thanks, they were pretty responsive. They have some pretty interesting stuff about selling NFA firearms via a trust which I still have to read up on. Didn't know there was any way for us to get sawed off style shotguns.
This will help you better understand the process of buying an AOW:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=507051

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlacerTactical View Post
I'm homebased dealer in Lincoln. Currently I offer the Ruger LCP and 1911 in SSE. I do accept SSE transfers from other dealers as well.
Ah, ok, cool. I am in RSVL off 65. So not too far away from where you are. So, the Ruger LCP (didn't know it would require an SSE) and any 1911 are the only ones you are able to do, in-house?

Glad to know you're close though. Thank you
Old 02-01-2012, 5:26 PM

Very good to know as the lcp is on my tax return list and my wife thinks its "cute"
Old 02-02-2012, 6:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr3313 View Post
Ah, ok, cool. I am in RSVL off 65. So not too far away from where you are. So, the Ruger LCP (didn't know it would require an SSE) and any 1911 are the only ones you are able to do, in-house?

Glad to know you're close though. Thank you
These are the only ones I currently have kits for, more kits are in the works.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlacerTactical View Post
These are the only ones I currently have kits for, more kits are in the works.
OK, cool....I want to do an XDm 9mm in the future.
Old 02-02-2012, 4:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

So is it still everyone's opinion that a mag lock need be installed? How is a removable sled not meet the requirements? If someone takes it out and replaces it with a standard capacity mag, how is it different than replacing a regular length barrel?

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms
Old 02-02-2012, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A long barrel alone does not make it a single shot, so you should make it such that a tool is needed to be able to allow for additional rounds. Without a tool, they could consider it not to be a single shot. A firearm without a magazine is a single shot, but it is not considered to be that.

Old 02-02-2012, 8:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
A long barrel alone does not make it a single shot, so you should make it such that a tool is needed to be able to allow for additional rounds. Without a tool, they could consider it not to be a single shot. A firearm without a magazine is a single shot, but it is not considered to be that.
But using that logic I could switch the barrel without tools to make it non compliant as well. Wouldn't one need to make a fitted barrel where a standard barrel would no longer work?

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms
Old 02-03-2012, 5:52 PM
YOU are next!!

Okay, here's my situation: The gun that I want is no longer being sold NEW by any FFL (in-state and out-of-state). But there is local FFL that has an SSE conversion for the pistol. I have scoured the internet and forums and I've found someone out-of-state that is selling the gun that I want. Can I purchase the off-roster handgun USED (or PPT) from someone out-of-state??

If so, I think I'd have to have the seller take the off-roster gun to his local FFL and have his local FFL ship to my FFL? I assume this would be similar to a consignment-type of transaction? And once my local FFL receives the off-roster gun, he can convert it to SSE and my DROS can begin? If this works, will I be subject to sales tax?
Old 02-03-2012, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A PPT is where both the buyer and seller go to the same FFL. An out of state purchase is not a PPT. This would not be like a consignment.

You can purchase the firearm and have it shipped to your local FFL. Somewhere along the way it could be converted to a single shot, such as by your local FFL, and then it could be transferred (DROS submitted).

If the person that is selling it is a private party, it is an occasional sale and it is not from a business (such as a consignment), then there would be no sales tax.

The firearm does not need to be shipped by a FFL.

Old 02-03-2012, 6:47 PM
YOU are next!!

Quote:
A PPT is where both the buyer and seller go to the same FFL. An out of state purchase is not a PPT. This would not be like a consignment.

You can purchase the firearm and have it shipped to your local FFL. Somewhere along the way it could be converted to a single shot, such as by your local FFL, and then it could be transferred (DROS submitted).

If the person that is selling it is a private party, it is an occasional sale and it is not from a business (such as a consignment), then there would be no sales tax.

The firearm does not need to be shipped by a FFL.
Thanks for the response. Just curious as to how the DROS would be completed in this case. Would the seller need to send accompanying identification documentation along with the pistol? Does liability/legality of the sale of the gun to me fall upon the FFL receiving the gun?
Old 02-04-2012, 2:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
But using that logic I could switch the barrel without tools to make it non compliant as well. Wouldn't one need to make a fitted barrel where a standard barrel would no longer work?
You would be replacing a part of the firearm, the barrel, rather than just removing a block with a tool for the magazine. This is a bit of a legal aspect which the lawyers would need to figure out, but I don't know that you want to give anyone some ideas as a way to block this loophole.

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Just curious as to how the DROS would be completed in this case. Would the seller need to send accompanying identification documentation along with the pistol? Does liability/legality of the sale of the gun to me fall upon the FFL receiving the gun?
I am not sure of what you mean by "identification documentation".

Doing the conversion could result in legal liability, but you would need to talk to an attorney about that. It is the same as making changes and then having a problem where someone gets hurt. What specific legal aspect are you concerned with?

Old 02-04-2012, 8:53 PM
YOU are next!!

Quote:
I am not sure of what you mean by "identification documentation".

Doing the conversion could result in legal liability, but you would need to talk to an attorney about that. It is the same as making changes and then having a problem where someone gets hurt. What specific legal aspect are you concerned with?
I am concerned that the out-of-state private seller will refuse to ship his gun to my FFL because he recognizes that the gun is not on the CA Roster, since it will be the FFL receiving the gun that will perform the SSE on the gun. I am also curious as to how the DROS paperwork process will be completed when the seller & buyer will not be present at the same time to sign the paperwork. I thought that the seller might attach identification so that the FFL can start the DROS process...that is what I was referring to when I said "identification documentation."
Old 02-04-2012, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

The out of state private seller can refuse to sell it to you if they feel like it or are too lazy to read up on our laws. It happens. I was able to convince someone on Gunbroker to ship an off-rostered gun over, and my FFL offered to speak with the seller to explain things. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 2:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am concerned that the out-of-state private seller will refuse to ship his gun to my FFL because he recognizes that the gun is not on the CA Roster, since it will be the FFL receiving the gun that will perform the SSE on the gun. I am also curious as to how the DROS paperwork process will be completed when the seller & buyer will not be present at the same time to sign the paperwork. I thought that the seller might attach identification so that the FFL can start the DROS process...that is what I was referring to when I said "identification documentation."
Sellers can refuse to ship to CA for any reason or no reason at all. You could be exempt, such as a LEO. The only thing the seller needs to consider is what happens if you can't transfer it, which is really not their problem since they don't have to accept returns or give refunds due to you issues (can't transfer it).

It is not a PPT since the other person is not a CA resident. If it was a PPT, then you would not have to consider the SSE. It is done as a normal dealer sale, although for a SSE, it is submitted as exempt.

Old 02-12-2012, 3:34 PM
AFreePeopleOughtToBeArmed

Does anybody have a list of Out of state dealers that will ship to California??
Or who they have dealt with that will ship an off roster gun?? trying to keep up with the info!
Old 02-12-2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulStealer View Post
Does anybody have a list of Out of state dealers that will ship to California??
Or who they have dealt with that will ship an off roster gun?? trying to keep up with the info!
I get my STI stuff from Jon Unruh @ www.oakhillenterprises.com and I got my off roster HK stuff from Rick Stokes @ www.stokesclassicarms.com...

Jon Unruh has some really great cash/check/money order pricing ...
Old 02-12-2012, 4:58 PM

What if someone from Nevada bought a Ruger SR1911 in Nevada, and then came to SoCal on a pleasure trip with the gun. Could I buy it from that person and do a PPT through a dealer? Would I have to do an SSE conversion before the PPT? Is it legal for me to personnally buy a gun from a resident of another state who is visiting the area?

Endeavor to Persevere!!
Old 02-12-2012, 5:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No, PPTs have to be between CA residents. If the person moved here, then it could be transferred once the person got a CA ID. You could both go to a FFL, but then it would be just a normal transfer, so it would have to be on the roster.

Old 02-12-2012, 5:18 PM

Thank you kemasa for the quick response.

Endeavor to Persevere!!
Old 02-12-2012, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No, PPTs have to be between CA residents. If the person moved here, then it could be transferred once the person got a CA ID. You could both go to a FFL, but then it would be just a normal transfer, so it would have to be on the roster.

Wait a minute, I thought PPT were exempt from the roster?

Last edited by 97F1504RAD; 02-13-2012 at 6:35 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Wait a minute, I thought PPT were exempt from the roster?
PPTs are exempt from the roster, but an out-of-state resident can not participate in a CA-defined PPT DROS. An out-of-state seller would need to do a regular transfer to the FFL who would then do a regular DROS to the buyer, but it wouldn't be a PPT, and since it isn't a PPT, it isn't roster-exempt.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.