Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-28-2016, 7:30 AM

Default Triggers for JR Carbine

Which high performance fire control groups work in your Just Right carbine?
I tried both Geissele Super 3gun and Super D 3Gun, but neither fit.
Old 03-28-2016, 9:03 AM

I was pretty sure that they were milspec trigger groups. You could send it to www.triggerwork.net and get the stock trigger down to 3# for like $80
Old 03-28-2016, 9:08 AM

I have a set of tuned mil-spec FCG from Bill. Very good for range use. Not suitable for high round count , dusty conditions though.

Last edited by Caseless; 03-28-2016 at 9:09 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-28-2016, 1:17 PM

What problems have you had? I have some and have never had an issue and I have had him work on maybe 10 triggers
Old 03-28-2016, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyro View Post
What problems have you had? I have some and have never had an issue and I have had him work on maybe 10 triggers
Replied via PM. Not my style to bad mouth a good trigger smith. Plus he had said before on the phone that tuned mil spec triggers are best for normal range use.
Old 04-24-2018, 6:25 AM

I have a timney drop in on the way and I’m hoping it works out for my JR. On their website they say some ppl have success with the timney and some do not. They say in order for it to function properly the hammer needs to be as close to mil spec as possible. After looking at pictures i can see some of the timney triggers have a smaller hammer, luckily I purchased the one where the hammer is larger in size.

I won’t know until I try it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 1:52 PM

I have a Geissele G2S in my 45acp JR Carbine. I first had problems with the firing pin getting stuck in the firing pin sleeve that it’s in. Not sure if it was caused by the G2S but I got it resolved with a little sanding on the pin. Works fine now.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I wound up tuning standard AR FCGs for both my .45 and 9MM when my Timney would not function in them. Given that I've tested the Franklin Armory BFSIII in both and it functions, I'd say it's a matter of hammer profile. Find an aftermarket trigger with a hammer profile close to or identical to a standard AR hammer and it'll be more likely to work.
Old 04-25-2018, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I wound up tuning standard AR FCGs for both my .45 and 9MM when my Timney would not function in them. Given that I've tested the Franklin Armory BFSIII in both and it functions, I'd say it's a matter of hammer profile. Find an aftermarket trigger with a hammer profile close to or identical to a standard AR hammer and it'll be more likely to work.

That’s disappointing to hear the timney didn’t work. I bought mine before doing research unfortunately. I just remember when I bought it one of the selling points was aftermarket triggers... do you remember specifically what model timney trigger you tried?

Old 04-26-2018, 7:11 PM

I installed my new timney trigger tonight and so far (without actually firing) everything seems to be working just fine. I cycle the action and the trigger works every time. Tried it about 20 times. As well as firing, holding the trigger, cycling the bolt and checking the reset works-no problems. I can’t imagine why it would not work during live fire but that will be the true test. The trigger I want with was the 667-s model, 3lb pull
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod40120.aspx

Old 04-26-2018, 7:33 PM

Keep us posted.
I had since tried a POF trigger pack. No go.
My current setup is ALG QMS plus JP red hammer spring.
Old 04-29-2018, 1:01 PM

I got the JR out to the range today and had mixed results with the timney trigger. Once or twice a magazine I would have what seems to be a failure to reset. So I would remove the mag and cycle out the round in the chamber and I noticed there was a very light strike on the primer. Then I started to wonder if it was me, pulling the trigger again and double tapping without knowing, however the second round would not fire, It only had a light strike on it. So I started experimenting pulling the trigger very fast and hard and holding it and the issue seemed to stop.

I’m thinking it’s possible it’s a combination of a light trigger combined with the jarring recoil from a blowback 9mm. I also noticed the bolt bounces when it closes so this could explain the light fire on the double tap.

I don’t know what else it could be. I can cycle the bolt 100 times by hand and get 100% operation from the trigger.

Then I turned my attention to the buffer. Holy crap it’s a solid chunk of steel. It’s heavy. So heavy that when the spring pushes it back forward and it slams the bolt closed the gun actually jumps forward then the bolt bounces.

I think the bolt bounce is causing all my issues. I stumbled upon a hydraulic buffer designed just for 9mm carbines. I don’t know if it’s compatible with the JR but I’m tempted to try it. Any thoughts?

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com...uctCode=RB5007

Old 04-29-2018, 1:12 PM

Weigh the JR bolt group,compare it to an AR 9mm bolt group without the extra piece of rear weight. Total buffer length is another consideration.
I didn’t bother with these mods since I have a .40 conversion.
Old 04-29-2018, 1:29 PM

I don’t have any other buffer/bolt to compare it too. I know the bolt cycles far enough because it resets the trigger long before the bolt fully opens. I just know a standard buffer has a free floating weight in it to prevent bolt bounce. The JR Carbine does not. I can hear it bounce. The hydraulic buffer will greatly reduce recoil and I’m assuming put a stop to bolt bounce.

I emailed them to see if it’s compatible with the jr. Worth a shot

Old 04-29-2018, 1:48 PM

The JR buffer does protrude from the recoil spring much further than a standard buffer.

So by shortening the buffer it could create issues with the bolt over traveling but that can be fine tuned with some type of lightweight spacer put in the buffer tube before the spring goes in.