Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-05-2017, 6:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Calaveras CCW

My wife and I applied for our CCW with CCSO in July and it was very easy.

Their instructions say to apply and get the initial approval and then go for the training, but we had already done the training with WTS in Jamestown and had our 3 reference letters with us for the very first appointment.

Total time from initial contact with SO to picking up permit was approximately 6 weeks.

When we went in to pick up the permits, Sheriff DeBasilio sat down and gave some details on how they treat CCW holders during traffic stops, etc. He did mention that he is trying to get it approved for us to have 5 handguns on our permit!! That was something I had hoped would happen but he gave no indication of how long that would take.

I spoke to Karen today about changing one of the guns on my permit and she said it is pretty easy, just make an appointment, bring it in for her to check the serial and then within a week or ten days she will have it typed up and have the Sheriff sign it and I can stop in and surrender the old one and take the new one.

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 09-05-2017, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

-- deleted --

Last edited by jimsu; 09-05-2017 at 6:53 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 6:48 PM

Going through the process now. Good folks, well organized and efficient. Process is 1-2 months, versus San Joaquin 1 year plus... Karen is a very nice lady.
Old 05-24-2018, 8:04 PM

Went in today to turn in my renewal paperwork and I was told that not only does my ccw permit not “allow” me to, it expressly forbids me from carrying at work. Unless I’m am the owner of the business.

Not only did I not know this I have used work related reasons in both my initial application and my last permit renewal and this is the first I have heard of this.
I carry all day everyday and have for years.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
JW
Old 05-25-2018, 8:37 AM

Huh...well, I'm renewing mine in the next week or two, so I'll see if I get the same information. Here's the blurb from their application procedures that you can get online: "8. A CCW will not be issued for any employment related purposes. Your employer must meet certain criteria with the State if requiring employees to carry a firearm." To me, that means the CCW can't be part of your job description or duties, but it seems you should still be able to carry to protect yourself as an individual while at work, if there are no restrictions placed by your employer regarding what you bring to the job site. Maybe I'll pose that question to Karen when I pop in to see if we can get some clarification.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 08-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Just an update. Plan on a couple of sentences for your good cause statement. No longer valid with just protection of yourself and your family. They are now asking for three complete reasons in sentence form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
Just an update. Plan on a couple of sentences for your good cause statement. No longer valid with just protection of yourself and your family. They are now asking for three complete reasons in sentence form.

Does that include renewals? Was that conveyed on the application instructions, or just verbally?

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Old 08-07-2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post

Last year when my wife and I applied we were told the same thing. The lady at the SO had us hand write a few sentences. She gave us a couple of good examples to make sure we understood what the Sheriff was looking for.
Old 08-08-2018, 7:30 AM

Huh...well maybe my usual statement, which consists of 4-5 sentences anyway, was good enough, as they didn't say anything to me about it.

Old 08-09-2018, 3:51 PM

Renewals also and no itnwan not on the application or I would have written it out. They verbally stated it needed to be done at the window or they wouldn’t accept the application. Said it was new policy.

Old 01-02-2019, 6:26 PM

Our first renewal is coming up in a few months. Does anybody know how far in advance we should start the process here in Calaveras County?
Old 01-03-2019, 7:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Sheriff's office will mail you a letter with the renewal instructions approximately 90 - 120 days before your current permit expires.

If in doubt, contact the Sheriff's office (209 754 6500) and ask about the renewal.

From the Sheriff's website:

CCW License Renewal Procedures: The standard CCW is valid for two
(2) years. Permit holders should not allow the permit to expire before applying
for renewal. The renewal process can be initiated up to eight (8) weeks prior
to the expiration date.
Applicants must apply for renewal in person and present proof of completion
of a 4-Hour Firearms Course as required.
 Non-refundable fee of $ 77.00 due and payable (PC
26190(c))
All applicants are responsible for notifying the Sheriff’s Office of any changes
on the CCW permit at time of renewal; including changes of address
(physical or mailing), employment, weapons, etc.
All information will then be reprocessed as before, with the new dates as well
as any changes entered into the system. Again, the applicant’s driver’s
license and firearms records will be verified; and this updated information
given to the Sheriff for his approval.
Applicants should allow approximately four (4) weeks for renewal of the
CCW. When approved, the CCW will be mailed to the applicant.
If the applicant is denied a renewal, the applicant will be notified by mail
within thirty (30) days and the reason for the denial will be stated.
Old 01-03-2019, 8:22 AM

I've had as fast as a 2 week turnaround once the renewal paperwork was submitted, but I'd go with the 4 weeks as their website suggests to avoid a lapse in coverage, just in case someone in the process is on vacation or something.

Old 01-03-2019, 6:28 PM

Thanks! I hadn't looked at the website yet...my bad. Our last renewal was in San Joaquin and we had to apply three months before expiration. So much easier here!
Old 01-18-2019, 7:52 AM

Also remember that as of January 1 you must qualify with every gun on your ccw. You will need to take each gun with you and have your instructor sign off on each gun. Found out the hard way

Old 01-21-2019, 8:14 PM

super easy renewal for me, turned in renewal paperwork with certificate from class, received my new permit the next week
Old 03-09-2019, 7:02 AM

Has anybody used West Point Concealed Weapons Training or Rozo Tactical for a renewal course? We have used First Response in Linden in the past, but I tried reaching out to Duncan yesterday and have yet to receive a response.

I'm just trying to get a course nailed down.
Old 07-08-2019, 2:35 PM

Message sent via Nixle | Go to nixle.com | Unsubscribe
Friday July 5, 2019, 1:05 PM Calaveras County Sheriff's Office

Advisory: MEDIA RELEASE Contact: Sgt. Greg Stark Release Date: July 5th, 2019 Release Time: 1:00 PM Online CCW Permit Applications
Dear Pinto,
Online Conceal Carry Weapons Permit (CCW) Applications

The Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office is continuously evaluating and updating their services to be more efficient and to better serve the citizens of the county. The Sheriff’s Office is pleased to announce the newest expansion of their online service with the release of Permitium, an online application database for the processing of conceal carry weapons permits (CCW).
Effective July 1, 2019, the Calaveras County Sheriff Office will no longer accept CCW paper applications. Applicants for a new, renewal or modification/duplicate permit will be required to submit applications online using Permitium. To apply online, residents should click the "CCW" tab on the Sheriff's Office website. A link to the new secure online application system will appear allowing applicants to create an account and begin the background process. All fees are conveniently paid by debit/credit card th rough Permitium. Residents will receive notification by email, text message or automated phone call with information/instructions regarding the status of their application. They will also receive text message or email reminders when the permit comes up for renewal.
Please visit the Sheriff’s website at http://sheriff.calaverasgov.us/ or at the main office in San Andreas to learn more.

For full details, view this message on the web.
Sent by Calaveras County Sheriff's Office
Jeff Tuttle Dr, San Andreas, CA 95249
Old 07-08-2019, 2:49 PM

Got the same email...still have to go pick up the permit in person when it's approved, it looks like. Probably to take care of the signature and thumbprint at that time.