Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-20-2018, 6:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Meat processing near Oakland?

Anyone know of a good butcher shop (what is the politically correct term these days? Meat Cutter?) near Oakland, CA who can process game?
Old 09-20-2018, 9:12 AM

Napa is going to be the closest one I’d trust ... Browns valley meats
Old 09-20-2018, 9:26 AM

Los Gatos meats is a 50min drive
Old 09-20-2018, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoseskater View Post
Los Gatos meats is a 50min drive
That's gonna be your best bet. There used to be a shop in Hayward and another in Livermore that processed game, but they are long gone.

Los Gatos Meats is the last man standing in the Bay Area. They do a pretty good job, but these days I just butcher it myself.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 09-20-2018, 9:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When you looked at top of page of hunting fishing sticky that says meat processors who did you call several on oakland

Last edited by edgerly779; 09-20-2018 at 9:55 AM..
Old 09-20-2018, 9:54 AM

OP come back and let us know who you used.

I used a place in Lodi last year for elk. Great brats and summer sausage. Not cheap although I don't have much to compare it to.

https://lakewoodmeats.com/
Old 09-20-2018, 7:47 PM

There is a "Sticky" at the top of the hunting and fishing forum landing page, listing game processors. It shows two in Oakland. Link is below:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=754151
Old 09-20-2018, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

CA F&W has a statewide list on their website.
Old 09-20-2018, 9:26 PM

Amaral meats crows landing. It’s a drive but so much cheaper
Old 09-21-2018, 7:33 AM

I'm also in Oakland, but was too cheap to pay someone to process my first deer. Google the "Scott Rea Project" on youtube. He has super in-depth how-to videos for just about EVERY game animal.

I have no butchering experience with big game and was able to do this my first time

Old 09-21-2018, 10:30 AM

We just use the tinder loins, fry them up the same day with southern fried potatoes, yum, we keep the backstrap for latter, everything else we make deer pork sausage with.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewB View Post
Anyone know of a good butcher shop (what is the politically correct term these days? Meat Cutter?) near Oakland, CA who can process game?
Did you call any ?

Star Meats
Ver Brugge Meat-Fish Poultry
Saba Live Poultry
Fair Deal Meats

I never brought them something to process, so I'm not sure if they will.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 AM

If you end up cutting it up your self in in the east bay and can loan you my #22 grinder ... just a thought
Old 10-23-2018, 7:42 PM

Anthony in Pacifica

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 10-23-2018, 7:45 PM

Buds meats in Petaluma
Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 PM

+1 for Browns Valley in Napa. Everyone says it's expensive. It does cost a little more than some places, but they do it right. I won't take my animals anywhere else, and it's a bit of a drive from Lake County. You can find their cut sheet online.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:18 AM

Looks like you did a decent job with the hind quarters. Bearded Butchers has a great hour-long tutorial on deer processing on YouTube -- highly recommend. I did my first with a buddy & winged it after that. I ran across the video this year and learned a few things I wish I would have known before.

If I got a deer every year, I'd probably start taking it somewhere. But as it is, the making of meat gets me much more familiar with an animal than mere gutting and hauling to the butcher. Plus, I get to save the sinew, hide and hocks for other projects. The remaining bones and scraps go deep into the garden where it nourishes the plants & trees and, ultimately, the bees and my family. I didn't have any help this time around but it took me half a day to skin, quarter, butcher the cuts and bury the carcass plus a full day of grinding and cleaning up. It's time-intensive but all part of the hunt.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM

+1 for Bud's in Petaluma.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:48 AM

You can pay it fordward, an option is to donate it. I did to Saint Anthony's in SF, they gladly accepted 3 gutshot deer from me, of course I removed any tainted meat and tissue and handled it as if I was consuming it. They even came and picked them up.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 AM

@OP Who did you use?

I just dropped some pronghorn off a Ver Brugge (Oakland) the other day. I had a good experience with them a couple years ago with a wild hog. I can't say that have a lot of experience processing wild game but they are friendly and willing. I do most of it myself (they got 10% of the total meat weight) but I enjoy seeing what a professional can do.

If I had access to a shop who deals w/ wild game more often I'd use them but VB is close and professional.

@yoteassasin
Is your #22 grinder a LEM? That looks like a beast! I've used the kitchen aid attachment for the past 3 years and this year I had about double the meat I've normally had. I felt like I was in danger of damaging the mixer -- it heated up to the point of smelling a little bit. It audibly struggled. Next year I'm going to have to upgrade or borrow a real grinder.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:55 AM

We make our sausage the same day of the kill, another alternative:

a) we use at least 2/3rd venison, to 1\3rd pork trimmings and sometimes 50:50 (the more pork fat, the better)
b) 3 large Rubber Made white totes (food grade), one the for venison, one for the pork trimming, and one for the sausage
c) we season both batches of meats before grinding
d) then we grind equal portions together capturing the sausage, if needed a bread filler is acceptable.
e) then we vacuum seal the sausage on unusable portions, cook as patties, or hand rolled links
Old 10-27-2018, 8:33 PM

I took a forkie in X9a at a little after 6 pm and took it to a processor the next morning. It hung for a week before butchering. So far all the meat has been great. The backstraps and tenderloins were fork tender and amazing. the burger and sausage has been real good too. My question for the guys butchering their own is did you do any aging? How did you control the meat temp? This is my second deer and the first one that wasn't gamey. My in-laws always hung their deer in a tree for a few days and all their meat was gamey. I am now convinced they couldn't control the temps with the days getting into the mid 60's during the day and that led to the gamey taste.
Old 10-28-2018, 9:15 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
I took a forkie in X9a at a little after 6 pm and took it to a processor the next morning. It hung for a week before butchering. So far all the meat has been great. The backstraps and tenderloins were fork tender and amazing. the burger and sausage has been real good too. My question for the guys butchering their own is did you do any aging? How did you control the meat temp? This is my second deer and the first one that wasn't gamey. My in-laws always hung their deer in a tree for a few days and all their meat was gamey. I am now convinced they couldn't control the temps with the days getting into the mid 60's during the day and that led to the gamey taste.
I have a garage fridge I age my deer in 7 to 10 days. Just has to be quartered up and line the shelves with towels or game bags and flip the quarters around daily.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My question for the guys butchering their own is did you do any aging?
Yes

Quote:
How did you control the meat temp?
Using two methods. First method: hunt in Wyoming. Second method: leave the skin on but keep the body open.

Quote:
This is my second deer and the first one that wasn't gamey. My in-laws always hung their deer in a tree for a few days and all their meat was gamey. I am now convinced they couldn't control the temps with the days getting into the mid 60's during the day and that led to the gamey taste.
Unless your in-laws could control the weather they obviously couldn't control the temp. Though I doubt that is why the meat was gamey. I've hung deer for a week at a time in Wyoming where the weather was getting into the 60s and none of my deer ever ended up 'gamey'. One particular day it had been in the mid 60's so I started cutting up my deer that evening after 4 days of hanging. The meat under the hide was still cold 'fridge' cold. I find that 'gaminess' is almost always in the preparation of the dish.