Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-20-2018, 5:32 PM

Default Long range trip

Back safe & sound.

Guadalupe island wasn't fishing so well so the trip went to the ridge.

5 Wahoo caught, all on the troll and none by me.

I did limit out on the yellow fin to about 30 lb and did well on the yellows.

A nice grouper, a couple of dorado and some sheep heads were also pulled trough the skippyfest.

The food was great, the weather was mostly nice and having the good sense to keep my mouth shut until "that guy" was established i had a great time with the group.

My trip was a "Penn university" sponsored trip and i can't say enough about this fellow Steve Carson from Penn.......well i could but i would probably find myself wishing i was on a trip that was booked if i did.

Suffice it to say if you have considered such a trip (7 day) but felt you didn't have the experience or proper tackle this one would be no problem what..so..ever.

The tax men were hammer heads and not great whites so it was more like state than federal , we saw orcas, a dozen or so sea turtles, porpoises and 2 marlin were hooked. (briefly )

The A.C. on the boat went out and i was able to play some small part in correcting that situation to the delight of all due to it being damn tropical 360 mi. south of the border.

Got to fish alongside of something of a motorcycle racing celeb.

Left a generous tip and noticed all 3 of the jackpot winners kicked down their winnings to the crew as well in keeping with proper fish god observations.

A good trip.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 09-21-2018, 7:34 AM

Im a AA loyalist myself so knowing their penn u trip leaves today or tomorrow i had to look to see what boat you were on...The Searcher. Glad you guys found something to pull on. Iv been wanting to do one of the penn trips for a while now after meeting Steve C. at the Fred hall show.
Old 09-21-2018, 8:30 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Ah, so I see YSRacer wasn't on the boat then.

Cool trip. Any photos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Back safe & sound.

Guadalupe island wasn't fishing so well so the trip went to the ridge.

5 Wahoo caught, all on the troll and none by me.

I did limit out on the yellow fin to about 30 lb and did well on the yellows.

A nice grouper, a couple of dorado and some sheep heads were also pulled trough the skippyfest.

The food was great, the weather was mostly nice and having the good sense to keep my mouth shut until "that guy" was established i had a great time with the group.

My trip was a "Penn university" sponsored trip and i can't say enough about this fellow Steve Carson from Penn.......well i could but i would probably find myself wishing i was on a trip that was booked if i did.

Suffice it to say if you have considered such a trip (7 day) but felt you didn't have the experience or proper tackle this one would be no problem what..so..ever.

The tax men were hammer heads and not great whites so it was more like state than federal , we saw orcas, a dozen or so sea turtles, porpoises and 2 marlin were hooked. (briefly )

The A.C. on the boat went out and i was able to play some small part in correcting that situation to the delight of all due to it being damn tropical 360 mi. south of the border.

Got to fish alongside of something of a motorcycle racing celeb.

Left a generous tip and noticed all 3 of the jackpot winners kicked down their winnings to the crew as well in keeping with proper fish god observations.

A good trip.
I think you might have been on the same trip as my dad. He just got back with a bunch of wahoo, yellowtail, and yellowfin.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Ah, so I see YSRacer wasn't on the boat then.

Cool trip. Any photos?
There were some photos but looks like they got taken down.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...action.699829/

or if he was he didn't get a jackpot huh?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxra View Post
I think you might have been on the same trip as my dad. He just got back with a bunch of wahoo, yellowtail, and yellowfin.
I left mine with the processor to cut, freeze and ship up to me.

Looking forward to having a freezer full of sashimi again,
i even kept a few skippys and bonita to experiment on.

Old 09-21-2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
I left mine with the processor to cut, freeze and ship up to me.

Looking forward to having a freezer full of sashimi again,
i even kept a few skippys and bonita to experiment on.
I turn the wahoo into ceviche. YT goes to the MIL, and the tuna stays.
Old 09-22-2018, 7:49 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. Steve Carson is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Years ago I had the pleasure to fish with him on a 10 day on the AA.
Old 09-22-2018, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblack583 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip. Steve Carson is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Years ago I had the pleasure to fish with him on a 10 day on the AA.
The guy is a force of nature,

knowledge, depth of experience, knack for teaching at any level required,
boundless energy....he spent a couple of days setting up outfits to be at the disposal of the group.

He ran a raffle for swag to benefit the crew,

kept track of the prize jackpot that was in addition to the boat jackpot and still had time to wade in and give a clinic on how to hook a nice fish when things were slow for us mere mortals. (one was a marlin at the boat)

Carson is Clapton.

I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect on a trip like this from the marketing aspect.

I had actually just bought a Penn fathom 30 2 speed to fill the need for a second 2 speed in my quiver but it was based on my own research beforehand and i was not dissapoint.

You can literally buy 2 different size fathoms or a fathom and a star drag with live spindle tech for the cost of an Accurate or Avet and not have the design flaw of crushing the main bearing at high drag settings.

What marketing there was was in a form and size just exactly right for my personal inbox for that sort of thing.

Old 09-22-2018, 9:08 AM

Sorry the ‘Lupe wasn’t on... would have been better had you been able to stay there for a longer duration, as the yellowfin fishing can be spectacular, the home guard yellowtail are brutes, and the island itself is magical.

Also surprised that you guys weren’t able to find more ‘Hoo volume - that sucks a bit as they are fun as hell when they want to chew.

7 day trips are awesome - just about the right balance of time away and plenty of fishing time to counter off days or locations and still mix in alternatives.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! I’ll likely do another 7 day next year - it wasn’t in the cards this year and I had to settle for a 3 day and several 1 1/2 day trips, and expect to get a few more in before the fishing falls off.
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Did you get any lobster from the ab divers? Love that island.
http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/