Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-04-2016, 1:44 PM

Wink Classy-ish mosin nagant 91/30 hex sporter project "Bubba THUMP"

Morin purists beware. This thread may cause genital pain.
EDIT:
PHOTO OF 91/30

So I know I'm gonna get a bunch of flack from the collectors for this but I have been wanting to "sporterize" a hex reciever 91/30 for a long time. I managed to find one with a laminate stock in good condition and an excellent bore. It has a mismatched bolt but my LGS checked the headspacing and test fired it along with providing the spent casings. No worries there.

Well here's my project. Some of you guys are going to cringe. I'm planning on shortening the stock, adding a 3 to 4" ebony nose cap, and doing something to the grip that I have never seen done to a bubba mosin. I'm going to add a chopped up reproduction steel H. E. Dimick trigger guard (just the angled part of the grip to fix the straight stock), blue it, pillar bed and glass bed the action, free float the barrel (possibly install a pressure pad depending on how it shoots after its floated), and inlet a .45-70 sized cartridge trap to hold a 3 or 4 rounds in the stock since the rim sizes are similar.

This is what the trigger guard looks like unmodified:

This is essentially the part of the trigger guard that I wish to utilize:

I'm also debating weather I should use the old school, traditional method and pin the trigger guard "grip" into the stock or drill holes and use wood screws to fasten it into the stock. Any idea which method would be most secure? Maybe I should do both?

I am most likely going to insert the cartridge trap on the bottom of the stock like you see on big game rifles. But I am worried about the trap opening up and having the ammo just fall out.

I am also going to install a rear mojo sight and a front Smith brass bead sight that looks like a normal 91/30 sight. There is going to be no optics mounted on this gun.

I have the rifle on layaway still just because of the lack of time to go and do the Dros, stupid job... But I have already started ordering the parts needed. I am also going to order a .311 crowning tool and facing tool so I can try to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it. If I end up wanting to shorten the barrel to reduce harmonics, I'll be able to do so the right way too.

I will be utilizing the original laminate stock for this entire project. I love the look and want to make it look like the unclaimed love child a plains rifle, big game rifle, and Mr. Mosin himself.

The whole idea is to be able to have a rugged, cheap shooting, head turning rifle, that I can have fun working on, break my bank on, and (depending on how the accuracy turns out after all the tweaking) have a practical 100 yard deer/hog gun. Plus I'm sure nobody has ever bubbafied a mosin like this.

I'll be posting updates as I make progress on Bubba THUMP.

Last edited by spencerk; 06-05-2016 at 1:55 PM..
Old 06-04-2016, 11:11 PM

I want to see how it's done.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:36 AM

My genitals hurt now. However my curiosity is piqued. You have both disgusted and excited me sir.
Old 06-05-2016, 1:44 AM

I may go in and DROS it tomorrow... Well later today technically... Just got home from work.

I'll post pix of my gorgeous completely stock mosin that I am about to completely mollest.

I can't wait to see the flack I get after the pictures I post. Its in near perfect condition. It even comes with a bayonete!

I'm still debating on what type of cartridge trap to go with. I found a 4 round trap but finding a 5 round trap is becoming increasingly difficult. I'd like to be able to have a full magazine worth in the stock just for giggles.

If that doesn't work out, I may just find a way to make my own, or use the flat area on the top portion of the stock to raise the comb and make a longer rounded side opening trap that opens towards My cheekweld to prevent the latch from accidentally opening. That might be an interesting way to do it. And may be more convienient for loading the gun so I don't need to turn the rifle upside down just to get the rounds out.

I may add an extra sling swivel to the front of the stock for a bipod so I can shoot it off a bench at the range and attach one of my square braid parachorde slings that I make.

I've already ordered the grip portion, the basic rubber mosin buttpad, and 10 stripper clips. Next up is the mojo rear sight. Then comes the timney trigger. After that I'll figure out the forend, then the inletted cartridge trap since that is going to be the most labor intensive portion, aside from the pillar/action bedding.

I've done a couple other mosin before, and a bunch of other random rifles, but I've never taken on a project this complex with so many different things going on at once. I've also never done any inletting like this either so this will be a fun learning experience. I honestly can't wait to get started alduturating my beautiful mosin.
Old 06-05-2016, 1:57 PM

added picture of gun in original post.

I just realized the wood top cover is hardwood and not laminate like the stock. That's fine with me since its not going to be used for anything except getting torn off the gun haha.
Old 06-05-2016, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Its a mosin. They are a dime a dozen. Chop 'er up!
Old 06-05-2016, 7:59 PM

Looks like cool project....might as well learn checkering and do the stock up with some crazy art/patterns.
Old 06-05-2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unretarded View Post
Looks like cool project....might as well learn checkering and do the stock up with some crazy art/patterns.
It's actually something I was contemplating... I'm just really afraid of messing up the wood. I would really prefer to maybe make some brass inlays or possibly ebony inlays around the grip area to checker, that way if I mess up I can just make another inlay to put in the gun rather than having to get a whole new stock.
Old 06-05-2016, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I chopped up one Mosin years ago and that was enough to learn my lesson.

What year/arsenal is the sacrificial cow? I'd say something to prevent a C&R atrocity, but whatever floats your boat... Okay, I do have to say that trigger guard looks... painful, and ugly, but mostly painful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 06-05-2016, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
I chopped up one Mosin years ago and that was enough to learn my lesson.

What year/arsenal is the sacrificial cow? I'd say something to prevent a C&R atrocity, but whatever floats your boat... Okay, I do have to say that trigger guard looks... painful, and ugly, but mostly painful.
The chopped up trigger guard is going to get blued to match the existing trigger guard and I'm going to file down the contacting surfaces to match up nicely.

Last edited by spencerk; 06-06-2016 at 3:00 PM..
Old 06-06-2016, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Your rifle, your choice. I mean, it's not a rare Finnish M27 or anything, or a Chatellerault M91. It's a 91/30, of which the Soviets made some 17,000,000 of. Oh dear, only 16,999,999 left that we can have!
Old 06-06-2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
Your rifle, your choice. I mean, it's not a rare Finnish M27 or anything, or a Chatellerault M91. It's a 91/30, of which the Soviets made some 17,000,000 of. Oh dear, only 16,999,999 left that we can have!
Haha who knows, maybe I'm about to destroy some rare hex reciever variant that nobody knew about (sarcasm)

But in all seriousness I'm surprised about the lack of flack. I see so many people get hounded for chopping up old mosins, even plain old run of the mill 91/30's that it's somewhat annoying. Hence why I advertised the project as "Bubba THUMP"

Either way I only have another 9 days to wait til the project gets started. I've built ar15's, 1911's and quite a few other spotters and whatnot but this is the project I am most excited about. It shall be very time consuming, and I'm hoping it will be rewarding.

I also know somebody who has one of those old century arms (or whoever imported them a while back) 7.62x54r machine gun barrels... He never got around to mounting it and he may end up giving it to me depending on how the project starts looking. He said if it looks like a bubba then heck no but if it starts to look like a nice rifle, that he's just gonna hand it over because he hasn't used it and he has had it for years.

Here's to hoping I can cobble all this crap together the way I envision it because he likes the idea too.
Old 06-06-2016, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen some beautifully done custom rifles that started life as a military K98k or a Springfield M1903. I don't consider those rifles to be "bubba-ed" or abominations. If anything, it's like taking a old car which may have been a standard, run-of-the-mill car when it came off the production line, and modifying it with better, more elegant parts, a better engine, and a finer finish than it had before to create a new beauty.

Bubba-ing would be like taking that same run-of-the-mill old car, using Bondo and Wal-Mart bought wood screws to secure some homemade undercarriage fairings and a racing spoiler to.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:30 AM

Chop it up, it'll make mine worth more.
Jon
Old 06-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerk View Post
But in all seriousness I'm surprised about the lack of flack. I see so many people get hounded for chopping up old mosins, even plain old run of the mill 91/30's that it's somewhat annoying.
Put an archangel stock, a bipod, and a bolt on scout scope on a Mosin and a hundred people on this forum will proclaim "that's awesome, no bubba there, and you can undo everything at a later date!" (which will never happen).

Show those same people a well done K98 sporter from the 50's and a hundred people will talk about what a shame it was that someone butchered a perfectly good mil surp; and if they owned it they'd restore it (with a bunch if mismatched parts from different years) to it's 'original military glory'.

This (but more especially the C&R) forum is fickle.

Go forth and render your art, if it sucks rest assured that wonderful examples of hex mosins exist in museums and personal collections and you are not hurting the knowledge base of the world one bit buy chopping up that rifle.
Old 06-07-2016, 1:09 PM
In Memoriam

Low rider tent pole
Old 06-07-2016, 1:28 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
As a non-C&R person, that's sort of the way I look at it. However, beware that these projects can be just as expensive as tuning up a modern rifle, but your results will not be on par with what's available in modern rifles. In particular, if you keep an oddball caliber like .311, you are severely limited in bullet choices.
Old 06-07-2016, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

This is nuts,,,,just nuts!,,,,,crazy. Can't wait to see it!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:04 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
But in all seriousness I'm surprised about the lack of flack.
You could always post up on Gunboards.com...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 06-08-2016, 5:44 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Sir, you disgust and intrigue me. I am a C&R guy and hate to see you chop up such a nice Mosin and a laminate at that (why not do it to a beater Mosin instead of a nice one?) but it's your money and time. The non-CR guy part of me is intrigued and wants to see the end result. I agree, it's not like 91/30s are rare or anything and if you are going to deface a Mosin, glad it's a 91/30 and not a Finn or an M91.

Old 06-08-2016, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
You could always post up on Gunboards.com...
I actually thought about making account to do just that after I finish the project lol.
Old 06-08-2016, 3:59 PM

A modified Mosin if done nicely can have a good result.
Old 06-11-2016, 2:41 PM

Picked up some PPU 182gr match 7.62x54r for the mosin. Decided that I might have to start reloading again... Saw some retarded results that moss pawn and gun had with a custom sporterized mosin that shot a 1 hole group with S&B red box 174gr match ammo... Nearly needed to grab my brown pants to watch the video again. Lol.
Old 06-11-2016, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
Factor in the obscene loss rate of rifles the Soviets took in 41-42, and you'll understand why the numbers of extant 91/30s are nowhere near that high.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 06-11-2016, 7:16 PM
Veteran Member

I chopped the **** out of my 91/30. Didn't give a ****. Still don't. And it turned out bad azz.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
I chopped the **** out of my 91/30. Didn't give a ****. Still don't. And it turned out bad azz.
Project Bubba THUMP is tking a radical left turn...

In light of the crazy atmosphere we live in I have decided to actually bubbafy my mosin and order a mossberg 500 mako side folding stock to attach to it instead...

I need a trunk/truck gun for while I'm on duty just in case some crazy **** goes down. I work as an EP agent and armed security officer so I know I can't carry it, but there's noting in the regs that says I can't have a rifle in the trunk of my personal vehicle that sits in front of my stationary guard truck...

I'm gonna chop the barrel, and instal the mojo sights, while still bedding the action.

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I think I need an "oh S***" gun. And a classy mosin ain't gonna do it...
Old 06-14-2016, 1:57 AM

^^^Although I'm a c&r guy, I'm a bit disappointed. Your vision of your Mosin actually sounded pretty cool. Was looking forward to the end result.
Old 06-14-2016, 4:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For me it's like passing a car accident.

I don't know if it's a fender bender, or a traffic stopping nightmare...I just can't help but look as I drive by.

I'm in.

Waiting for finished product.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 06-14-2016, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
As a non-C&R person, that's sort of the way I look at it. However, beware that these projects can be just as expensive as tuning up a modern rifle, but your results will not be on par with what's available in modern rifles. In particular, if you keep an oddball caliber like .311, you are severely limited in bullet choices.
Have Randall Bartlein Barrel it in Finnish flair Mosin .308 and use Lapua/Vhita cartridge powder bullets a $20 Lee Loader and BAZINGA !!

Shooter better that any stock poodle popper, right ???
Old 06-14-2016, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypunch0420 View Post
^^^Although I'm a c&r guy, I'm a bit disappointed. Your vision of your Mosin actually sounded pretty cool. Was looking forward to the end result.
I may end up getting a second mosin stock in the future for this reason...

I have ordered all the parts for the first build sans the cartridge trap. That being said I need something more functional right about now.
Old 06-14-2016, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am most likely going to insert the cartridge trap on the bottom of the stock like you see on big game rifles. But I am worried about the trap opening up and having the ammo just fall out.
I hunt a little bit and have seen a lot of big game rifles but I have never seen a cartridge trap on a gun in the field. Most big game hunters carry extra rounds in their pockets or pack, on a butt mounted sleeve carrier or a cartridge carrier on a belt.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 06-14-2016, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

In light of the crazy atmosphere we live in I have decided to actually bubbafy my mosin and order a mossberg 500 mako side folding stock to attach to it instead...

I need a trunk/truck gun for while I'm on duty just in case some crazy **** goes down. I work as an EP agent and armed security officer so I know I can't carry it, but there's noting in the regs that says I can't have a rifle in the trunk of my personal vehicle that sits in front of my stationary guard truck...

I'm gonna chop the barrel, and instal the mojo sights, while still bedding the action.

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I think I need an "oh S***" gun. And a classy mosin ain't gonna do it...

If the poo actually contacts the impeller, is a bubbified mosin really the gun you're going to want? You'd be better off with any number of semi-autos including an SKS, AK variant, AR variant, Mini-14/30, M1 carbine, M1 Garand, even a lever action in .30-30 or .357 would be preferable to a mosin if its truly "OH S***" time.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flouncer View Post
Have Randall Bartlein Barrel it in Finnish flair Mosin .308 and use Lapua/Vhita cartridge powder bullets a $20 Lee Loader and BAZINGA !!

Shooter better that any stock poodle popper, right ???
If I bubba'd a Mosin, I'd definitely put on a modern .308 barrel. As the barrel defines a rifle's accuracy, it would be interesting to see what results one could get from that x54r case as it's got a nice capacity edge over the .308 Win. I am sure some have tried this, but I have not seen it done and lack motivation to try it out.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:

Perhaps a Mosin carbine to fit the bill? A T53 or M44 is already in the configuration you require, with no molestation necessary. Plus if it's a zombie SHTF scenario you're waiting for, that permanently attached pig sticker will come in handy.
Old 06-21-2016, 5:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
No longer a dime a dozen, prices have gone up; way up!
My only advice to check to make sure you don't have
rare or a model/year that isn't easy to find.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 06-26-2016, 8:58 PM

lol "rare" moist nuggets...

dont the russkies heat their homes with surplus nuggets?
Old 06-27-2016, 2:11 AM

Project Bubba thumb is back on its original course... My wife bought me a Stevens 350 (chinese Ithaca 37 knockoff) that I could use as a beater/trunk gun as an early anniversary gift (i definatly picked a winner) so I could keep building my classyish mosin.

"Bubba THUMP" is back on its originally plotted course thanks to my beautiful wife. YAY!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 5:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Project Bubba thumb is back on its original course... My wife bought me a Stevens 350 (chinese Ithaca 37 knockoff) that I could use as a beater/trunk gun as an early anniversary gift (i definatly picked a winner) so I could keep building my classyish mosin.

"Bubba THUMP" is back on its originally plotted course thanks to my beautiful wife. YAY!!!
I have a Stevens 350, with both house and field length barrels - really a nice gun for the money but I don't think they are very popular. All steel and slicked up well once I put some rounds through it. Mine even cycles the 2.25" mini shells so I get an extra pop.

You sure know how to pick them, sounds like one of you is well trained!

shotgun > Mosin for a panic gun, unless zombie polar bears live in your neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.

Last edited by plumbum; 06-27-2016 at 5:35 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
I have a Stevens 350, with both house and field length barrels - really a nice gun for the money but I don't think they are very popular. All steel and slicked up well once I put some rounds through it. Mine even cycles the 2.25" mini shells so I get an extra pop.

You sure know how to pick them, sounds like one of you is well trained!

shotgun > Mosin for a panic gun, unless zombie polar bears live in your neighborhood.
Actually my wife knows Jack about guns... She just likes the way the pump action one shotguns sounds haha. But she likes perpetuating my addiction to firearms so yes I picked a GREAT one.

But I definatly agree. I sold off my tricked out wingmaster a while back and all I have are single shot Baikals at the moment. Hence why I started to change up My Project. My wife wasn't having it though because she likes the way it was going so she decided to buy me a new shotgun.

And I really like the Stevens models. Handled a couple of em in the past and I always thought they felt like way more substantial guns than they were priced at.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:05 PM

So I finally started some of the bedding on the mosin...

Just did the rear tang of the action and the recoil lug. I'm going to shoot it like this to see if it actually needs any more other than the pillar bedding.

Project bubba thump is offically well under way...