Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-03-2017, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, per capita OR has the largest number of food stamp recipients. Here is a report from March of this year:

https://www.cbpp.org/sites/default/f...eet_oregon.pdf

When I head up to Medfordto shoot USPSA, it reminds more and more of Redding....a bad thing.
Same type of "homeless" people all over. Same type of rude people in the stores, etc.

Again, I do like the S.E. areas of Oregon...Burns, Lakeview, Ontario, etc. but the I-5 corridor cities are really starting to show the out of state mentality and attitude that has ruined CA.

We here in Redding use to be a bit removed from the central and southern CA and use to be pretty conservative. Now, we are just an extension of the Bay Area as far as crime, rudeness, drugs, etc.

All the decriminalization and legal weed, etc., is happening in OR as well. Only a matter of time before the politics swing harder left. Heck...your governor is Brown too.

Glad you found a home that works for you. Can't wait to make my escape.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 10-03-2017, 4:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
Yes, per capita OR has the largest number of food stamp recipients. Here is a report from March of this year:

Using the latest figures from June 2017 https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...SNAPcurrPP.pdf Oregon is 5th in percentage on SNAP.
  1. New Mexico 21.9%
  2. Louisiana 18.8%
  3. West Virginia 18.3%
  4. Mississippi 17.7%
  5. Oregon 16.6%

There are a lot of low-income people outside of the greater Portland area, no doubt.

Quote:
All the decriminalization and legal weed, etc., is happening in OR as well. Only a matter of time before the politics swing harder left. Heck...your governor is Brown too.
Left in a hippie type of way (yes, I know it's from Portlandia)

although like California there are antifa idiots in Portland too

On the other hand Oregon also has the right-wing sovereign citizen types like the ones who occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

and who were acquitted by a jury of many of the federal charges brought against them http://katu.com/news/local/ammon-bun...ortland-oregon

It's an interesting mix. It's not all just liberals and pot. Like California, there is a lot of natural beauty.

There continues to be reluctance to pass much gun control, and there is strong resistance among the people to higher taxes. Every time they talk about adding a sales tax it goes nowhere. They tried to increase the business tax last year with Prop 97 and it lost 59% to 41% despite heavy campaign advertising on TV by the public employee unions https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Busin...asure_97_(2016) .

Quote:
pistol noun pis·tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
I'm happy to help people who have specific questions, but I ignore threads that begin with the command "school me". Go "school" yourself, buddy.

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 10-03-2017 at 5:02 PM..
Old 10-03-2017, 4:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

When I head up to Medfordto shoot USPSA, it reminds more and more of Redding....a bad thing.
Same type of "homeless" people all over. Same type of rude people in the stores, etc.

Again, I do like the S.E. areas of Oregon...Burns, Lakeview, Ontario, etc. but the I-5 corridor cities are really starting to show the out of state mentality and attitude that has ruined CA.

We here in Redding use to be a bit removed from the central and southern CA and use to be pretty conservative. Now, we are just an extension of the Bay Area as far as crime, rudeness, drugs, etc.

Glad you found a home that works for you. Can't wait to make my escape.

Love Redding. But it has really changed in the last 10 years. Don't know if I'd go back.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralhunter View Post
This is my biggest hurdle. There is nowhere outside of Los Angeles where you can get QUALITY authentic ethnic food in wide variety.

When my wife and I retire, I suggested moving to Las Vegas since they have a major international airport and due to the wide range of clientele, the city has a ton of different types of restaurants. It's not LA, but it's acceptable. But I fear by the time we retire, the state will be like California.
Las Vegas has lots of quality ethnic foods in a wide variety. Sometimes you have to go off-Strip but there are some truly amazing restaurants on the Strip.

Miami has some amazing foods too, including but not limited to the various Caribbean cuisines. On a work trip to Miami Beach, we accidentally wandered into a touristy Little Italy where the workers all spoke Italian and the pizza and pasta was to die for. We had no trouble finding excellent sushi and also ate at a fantastic Brazilian restaurant. There was also an excellent Cuban restaurant. I did not get to try any Mexican restaurants; it would be important to me to find at least one good Mexican restaurant in Miami before moving there.

I'd include NYC and Chicago for wide variety of good ethnic foods except they aren't good on guns. I'm assuming that if you're considering leaving CA in part because of the gun laws, you wouldn't move to where the gun laws are worse.

Last edited by dchang0; 10-04-2017 at 12:36 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1911 View Post
Kalifornia actually discovered a way around prop 13. In fact, they found an elegant solution. It’s called fiscal zoning.

It’s even better than raising rates.

https://litigation-essentials.lexisn...1c1f156fb270cf

This state has been at it for years. Housing policy is to restrict the supply and drive up prices.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...nap-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-p...ousing-supply/

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/1...ng-crisis.html

They've also figured out how to do an end-run around Prop 13 by adding a "fee."

City of El Monte was exposed (IIRC by the LA Times) adding a big fee on local property owners to pay for city manager pensions. IIRC, one of the homeowners they interviewed reported finding a >$1000 fee on his annual bill under some innocuous description.

The way this state spends/wastes money, it's going to have to raise taxes and raise them on many more people (mostly middle class), and that probably still won't be enough to close the gap.

Expect to see taxes of all types see incremental increases such that the total increase will be massive and painful. Eventually, they'll drop the subterfuge and go for a highly visible tax increase like repealing Prop. 13. It won't be because they want to; it will be a last resort. But like Illinois is doing right now, Calif. MUST do so once the threat of a credit downgrade becomes immediately imminent.

Before everyone jumps on me for saying so, keep in mind I'm not advocating tax increases. I'm pointing out that they will be a necessity so long as Calif. doesn't dramatically cut down spending.

Last edited by dchang0; 10-04-2017 at 12:28 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 7:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralhunter View Post
This is my biggest hurdle. There is nowhere outside of Los Angeles where you can get QUALITY authentic ethnic food in wide variety.

When my wife and I retire, I suggested moving to Las Vegas since they have a major international airport and due to the wide range of clientele, the city has a ton of different types of restaurants. It's not LA, but it's acceptable. But I fear by the time we retire, the state will be like California.
Please don't take this wrong but if the reason you don't want to leave la-la land is "QUALITY authentic ethnic food", most free States will not want you and your logic.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen
Old 10-04-2017, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^^^^^^
This
Old 10-04-2017, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuolumnejim View Post
Please don't take this wrong but if the reason you don't want to leave la-la land is "QUALITY authentic ethnic food", most free States will not want you and your logic.
Yeah, folks who do not travel much to other states automatically think you can't get great thai, vietnamese, mexican, etc. The Food Channel has done wonders in creating a foodie culture that transcends Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, etc. Salt Lake City is a foodies place, same with Baltimore, Chapel Hill, Atlanta, etc. etc. Dallas/Fort Worth, my future home, has tons of great ethnic restaurants and markets, not including local cuisine. One of best thai meals I ever had is in the DFW area. Getting great food is not a problem in the 50 states.

"There is no hell. There is only France"- Frank Zappa