Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-13-2017, 9:37 PM

Default Tips on grip position and setting up behind rifle for bench shooting

Hi guys, I'm looking for different tips on how everyone likes to setup behind a rifle and how to position their hand on the grip before breaking the shot.

I like to get behind the rifle seated nice and firm with both feet flat on the floor, shoulder width apart, making sure my core is stable along with my whole body. Grip wise, I've had people tell me to barely grip the rifle only putting pressure with the finger tips along the front of the grip to bring it into my shoulder, I've also had people tell me to hold it firm like a pistol grip, I haven't really found a way that works best for me yet.

Another problem I run into is, when I load the bipod on a bench, it will slip causing me to lose the load, If I position the sandbag correctly, it seems I can load into the sandbag keeping the bipod from slipping, this doesn't seem like a proper solution as I feel the bipod should be the one getting the full load. I always prefer to prone so I don't have this problem but that's not possible at the range I usually go to, so I mostly shoot benched with a bipod and a sandbag in the rear.

If you have any tips on the main things you guys focus on before pressing that trigger I would love to hear it and get some insight to improve. Also any good youtube vids would be nice, as this is my first bolt action rifle and I'm still new to this type of shooting. Thanks guys!

My Setup
Bergara HMR B-14 20'' .308win 1/10 Twist
Seekins Base and Rings
Burris XTR II 3-15x50mm
Atlas Bipod
Timney Calvin Elite Trigger.

100 Yard Target. Ammo - Federal Gold Medal Match .308 SMK BTHP

Old 09-13-2017, 9:45 PM

Ya, pre-loading the Atlas, is not push it.. All your looking for is consistency by removing the slop in the Atlas legs. Keep your hips back, bend at the waist and shoulders as square as you can. With a rest, guys getaway shooting, well sideways, free recoiling, whatever. But if you're a prone shooter, using a field type bipod, the body needs to be squared up, same when you move the system to the bench.

If it is sliding on cement whatever, you're over loading and not going to be consistent. To get a feel for how little/much load you need, pull the gun backward on the bench until the Atlas has no slop in the legs, then very slowly, push the gun forward until you just see the Atlas pivot to the other side of top dead center with the slop gone.. That's all the forward pressure you need. With that in mind, mount the rifle square as you can be, with same load pressure and dry fire a few. The rifle should no longer be sliding forward - the Atlas feet are plenty sticky even for a car hood.

DIY ELR Target Cam with DVR - well proven 2000m+ 2 camera, multiple monitors - link below

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/...vr#post6291944

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 09-13-2017 at 9:54 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 PM

Thanks Diver! I will definitely give that a try on my next outing.
Old 09-14-2017, 9:02 AM

Some people bring a couple of C-clamps and a piece of 1x2 lumber to build something to brace the bipod legs against.

A lot of shooting mats have a flap that serves the same purpose.

Dunno. Never tried either.
Old 09-14-2017, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

I have similar issues on concrete benches with my bi-pod. I have a Harris with the Atlas feet. So there is no slop in it to load.

Atlas makes spikes to replace the rubber feet and I've been thinking about trying that.
Old 09-14-2017, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

If your shooting your gun from the bench take the bipod off the gun and use a front rest and rear bag.
You can sit alongside the gun or directly behind the gun whichever is more comfortable.
The advice you were given is for a bench gun not a tactical/hunting rifle.
A bench gun doesn't move or tilt side to side in the rest and bag. You look through the scope and adjust the rest until your all centered up on the target and pinch the trigger with your index finger while your thumb is resting on the back of the trigger guard.
You don't lift your head you push the gun forward and keep feeding it ammo.
On a hunting/tactical rifle you need a front bag on your rest that fits your stocks forend. If you can't find one Protector or Edgewood will make you one.
When the rifle is in the rest your thumb and forefinger are used to pin it down. Masking tape can be put on the forend so you return the rifle to battery each shot.
If the gun jumps up on you move the front rest closer to the action and replace your masking tape.
The amount of grip is not as important as keeping the grip the same for each shot.
It is much harder to put a death grip on your gun each shot than it is to let it free recoil but your gun is tactical not Benchrest so use enough grip just to control it.
The number one problem with shooting for groups at your local range is most shooters don't have a good rest or they bind the gun up in there rest.
If you have some wore out jeans with holes in the knees cut the legs off below the knee.
Use dental floss and a sack needle with pliers and sew one end of the Jean closed. Fill it with rice,beans or heavy reptile sand and sew the other end closed.
Make several bags with varying amounts of fill and press the forend into the bag.
Your groups will shrink.
Now put your bipod back on and try to shoot groups as small.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 09-14-2017 at 7:05 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
If your shooting your gun from the bench take the bipod off the gun and use a front rest and rear bag.
You can sit alongside the gun or directly behind the gun whichever is more comfortable.
The advice you were given is for a bench gun not a tactical/hunting rifle.
A bench gun doesn't move or tilt side to side in the rest and bag. You look through the scope and adjust the rest until your all centered up on the target and pinch the trigger with your index finger while your thumb is resting on the back of the trigger guard.
You don't lift your head you push the gun forward and keep feeding it ammo.
On a hunting/tactical rifle you need a front bag on your rest that fits your stocks forend. If you can't find one Protector or Edgewood will make you one.
When the rifle is in the rest your thumb and forefinger are used to pin it down. Masking tape can be put on the forend so you return the rifle to battery each shot.
If the gun jumps up on you move the front rest closer to the action and replace your masking tape.
The amount of grip is not as important as keeping the grip the same for each shot.
It is much harder to put a death grip on your gun each shot than it is to let it free recoil but your gun is tactical not Benchrest so use enough grip just to control it.
The number one problem with shooting for groups at your local range is most shooters don't have a good rest or they bind the gun up in there rest.
If you have some wore out jeans with holes in the knees cut the legs off below the knee.
Use dental floss and a sack needle with pliers and sew one end of the Jean closed. Fill it with rice,beans or heavy reptile sand and sew the other end closed.
Make several bags with varying amounts of fill and press the forend into the bag.
Your groups will shrink.
Now put your bipod back on and try to shoot groups as small.

The advice I gave him was in direct response to his problem transition using the Atlas V8 or PSR.. not benchrest shooting. I have six or so of them.

Last edited by diver160651; 09-14-2017 at 8:01 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
The advice I gave him was in direct response to his problem transition using the Atlas V8 or PSR.. not benchrest shooting. I have six or so of them.
Thanks diver I had a fellow shooter on sniper hide give me the same tip on loading the bipod so I will definitely be looking out for that on my next range trip.
Old 09-15-2017, 5:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I was responding to his original question not your post.

Tips on grip position and setting up behind rifle for bench shooting
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 09-15-2017, 6:53 AM

Some great advise in this thread, so I will not repeat.

BUT, I will add this.

The small variations you are seeing in your groups are likely contributed to by the fact that you are shooting factory ammo from a budget barrel (yes, even FGMM isn't that great). That combination alone, while it will probably get you sub-MOA, will be a severely limiting factor if you want to chase really good accuracy. Taking the time to find the right load for you rifle will undoubtedly shrink those groups in half. The old adage "garbage in, garbage out" applies to everything in shooting from chrono readings to ammo.

So while you are finding that perfect shooting position that you can easily duplicate every time (which is of the utmost importance), it would be wise to also start loading your own.
Old 09-14-2017, 8:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebonez View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for different tips on how everyone likes to setup behind a rifle and how to position their hand on the grip before breaking the shot.
Start by making a 90 degree bend in your first trigger finger knuckle (counting knuckles from your hand towards your fingernail), and keeping your 2nd knuckle perfectly straight.
Now place the pad of your trigger finger on the trigger.
Keeping the 90 degree first knuckle, bring your hand over towards the stock until it contacts it.
Now wrap your lower 3 fingers around the stock without moving your HAND on the stock whatsoever.
That hand position will likely NOT be what you get if you grabbed the stock first and then placed your finger.

The most important single factor in where you place your hand is that the first trigger finger knuckle has that 90 degree bend and the 2nd knuckle is straight.
This will get your finger out away from the stock while you are pulling the trigger.
This will make is to that pulling the trigger is not moving the stock.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-15-2017, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Chuck the bipod.
Old 09-15-2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Chuck the bipod.
Seems like you and LynnJr agree on ditching the bipod. I will try shooting off of my range bag on the next range trip also and see if it is more stable. My backpack has a crevice where I can place the rifle right in between the top and bottom rear pouches to get it seated nice and secure.

Any takes on shooting with a bipod vs a rest in the front such as your range bag?
Old 09-15-2017, 7:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebonez View Post
Any takes on shooting with a bipod vs a rest in the front such as your range bag?
A bipod trumps a pack.
A front benchrest with a sandbag clamped into it trumps a bipod.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-15-2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
A bipod trumps a pack.
A front benchrest with a sandbag clamped into it trumps a bipod.
Good to know, and thanks for the tip up top btw.
Old 09-15-2017, 9:02 PM

Do what your going to do in the other aspects of your shooting. If your going to carry around A bench and front rest were you go shoot that way as much as you can.

If you are planning on using a bipod mostly, then use it.

Learn to use what you be using 80% of time whatever that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do what your going to do in the other aspects of your shooting. If your going to carry around A bench and front rest were you go shoot that way as much as you can.

If you are planning on using a bipod mostly, then use it.

Learn to use what you be using 80% of time whatever that is.

Good point, that's why I shoot off my left hand a lot, I also practice shoot off my right sometimes.
Old 09-16-2017, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

The reason you want to shoot from a front rest and a bench is to develop the best possible load or find out which factory ammo is the best.
After that you can put your bipod back on and see how close you can come to shooting the same size groups.
The world's most accurate rifles are shot off of a bench without a bipod.
If a bipod helped everyone would use one but they don't.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 09-16-2017, 4:52 PM

It isn't that iPods help everyone. Nobody tried to imply that they are more precise. But your not developing your skill set "if" they are part of one's needs.. of one must default to a rest when on a bench.

Here is a photo from today - will practice in a benchrest help me on a steel surface?? No, I am better off developing my skill-set.

If I can't shoot well enough to develop low SD/ES loads and see harmonic shifts, off a bipod then shame on me.

Old 09-16-2017, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Diver
I have many rifles with bi-pods but when I work up a load they all get a 2 ounce trigger a 42X Nightforce scope and are all shot off of the most stable bench I can find.
I am getting up at 3 AM to go deer hunting and the picture shows the rifle I will be packing. It won't have a bipod just a sling but that is what will work best for were I will be. The rifle with the scope and 5 rounds of ammo weighs 9 pounds 5 ounces and the barrel is a 27-1/4 inch Bartlein chambered in 6mm-06 with a 8 twist.
What makes it non-typical is the 0.268 tight neck chamber and the 1.5 ounce Bix&Andy trigger. It pushes a 107 MatchKing at 3400 FPS and I limit all my shots to sub 1000 yards. As the season ends in around 8 days that may change.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 11-13-2017 at 9:17 AM..